2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

What exactly is Titleist's type of player?

ryanpgm

It seems that as of late many posts have had had the following quote: "he is there type of player" more often than not describing Ernie Els and the possibility of leaving Titleist. Here lies my question: What is Titleist's type of player? Davis Love III, Ernie Els, Brad Faxon, Adam Scott, all classy guys, and in no way shape or form am I bashing Titleist. My personal thought is that the slogan "Better Clubs for Better Players" or "Serious Clubs for Serious Golfers" has a lot to do with it. Some feedback would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are two images of Titleist's poster boys, one past Tiger Woods and present Adam Scott. There goes the fist pumping idea. I will grant you that Ernie never shows too much emotion, he is very stoic as is Retief Goosen. I don't see how Titleist can distinguish themselves as being golf's symbol of class. The marketing ploy they have used for years now is a great thing, it definitely sells golf clubs; however, I know of at least 20 people who are 8 handicap's who hit Titleist blades, because they feel they are good enough to play them since they are a single digit handicap. No 8 handicap needs to be hitting blades, unless you have the worst short game in the world. "Better clubs for better players" seems to give people a kind of false confidence about them. JMO

Here are two images of Titleist's poster boys, one past Tiger Woods and present Adam Scott. There goes the fist pumping idea. I will grant you that Ernie never shows too much emotion, he is very stoic as is Retief Goosen. I don't see how Titleist can distinguish themselves as being golf's symbol of class. The marketing ploy they have used for years now is a great thing, it definitely sells golf clubs; however, I know of at least 20 people who are 8 handicap's who hit Titleist blades, because they feel they are good enough to play them since they are a single digit handicap. No 8 handicap needs to be hitting blades, unless you have the worst short game in the world. "Better clubs for better players" seems to give people a kind of false confidence about them. JMO

You dont need to be off a low handicap to hit blades thats a sterotype.Different things work for different players.With drivers i prefer titleist style of a traditional ''Boring''Shape and design.Afterall if the driver performs as long as it doesnt look too bad i dont care!!.I think its better for mid handicappers to start using blades as game improvement irons wont make your ball striking much better blades will for definite.

I've just looked at Titleist as a ball company for many years with a decent driver like the K and average irons. Titleist always seemed to be behind in technology advances. The response I've always got from the reps was that we are a ball company and our clubs are secondary. Not to say that the clubs are inferior, but that they didn't spend the $$$ or time in R&D like the some other companies did. Maybe they are looking for a type of player now, but I've never known them to be looking for a type of player. I think they are like the rest of the companies in that they want as many good Tour players playing their clubs. I think they are finally starting to be less and less conservative. They still have a long way to go. They really need to make a cool looking tour bag as well!

You dont need to be off a low handicap to hit blades thats a sterotype.Different things work for different players.With drivers i prefer titleist style of a traditional ''Boring''Shape and design.Afterall if the driver performs as long as it doesnt look too bad i dont care!!.I think its better for mid handicappers to start using blades as game improvement irons wont make your ball striking much better blades will for definite.

I feel a stereotype is Titleist is for better players. A rep once told me that Titleist make clubs for 8% of the golfing public. Although blades can be used as a game improvement tool, I think you may be shocked to find out how many players on tour, any tour for that matter, actually play blades. Look at Oberholser he hits the 755 shovel irons. The game has changed significantly in the past 3 - 5 years, with golfers of all ability levels are given the opportunity to obtain game improvement equipment. Let's not forget that golf is a game of not how good your good shots are, but how bad your bad shots are, and if a company is marketing itself to cater to the good player only, why would anyone else use it if it will not benefit them in the long run?