2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

My swing, 7 iron... Tips

aimr75

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i noticed the camera angle wasnt right when you mentioned it and the lighting is poor. Will try get another vid. I do have a vid from over a year ago (closer to two years) but its not current and not how im swinging now.. had time off from the game and getting back into it again

I used to slice a few years ago but more so drawing the ball these days.. in recent range sessions, my bad shots i am tending to sometimes push a bit right and sometimes find the hosel too. I have been trying to ensure my spine angle was being maintained in this current vid as well. I noticed coming back to it my initial range sessions i was pushing my hips toward the ball back am slowly correcting this

Here is what the older swing was like.. (just hitting foam balls)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0ouF21AbR4

I'm going to say a few things about the second video..

I would first like to say.. Your swing looks good.. If your struggling with shots that are going right. Just think of ball flight laws.. but if you must continue reading go ahead.

1. You come a little bit over your shoulder plane at the top. Shoulders, are a little flat at the top. Should be pointed more towards the target line, with a some leeway.
2. I would like to see more of a inside path on the downswing.
3. Need to fix the little pelvis thrust on the downswing.

Were talking about little things in this swing. Post a side view video maybe it might show some other stuff.. More than anything.. practice short game to get better.

Looks nice to me. Your not as flawed as me so hard to say. What i can say also about the second vid is dropping it inside a tad more would appear more pro. but thats personal preferance of ball flight.
Im curious to your misses like hozel rockets. If you find a certain movement proves to be inconsistant such as a hip move then maybe its somthin you should minimize. Although Tiger use to get away with a crazy hip move, but i suppose he owned it.
What swing thought are you using for your hips. The one common thought i have seen and heard from tv, magazines, pros such as Al Sutton, Fowler, Dustin Johnson is focus on the right hip bone rotating around and flat; not coming down and up. Which helps eliminate any crazy dips, thrusts, and slides. Dips and thrusts can vary swing to swing, inturn will consistancy. A pure flat rotation tends to hurt my lower back for some reason, but it does help with consistancy and straight ball flight for me. So i do concentrate on it at times. The goal is somthing repeatable that works. A flat rotation is simple to repeat and concentrate on.
Statistically speaking, a coach around my way says a 17 degree hip angle at impact is the average pro swing or something like that. Definatley not a swing thought but a stat based on the fact the knees bend and the hip angles vary according to your turn and posting up on that front leg.

[quote name='akiracornell' timestamp='1350013553' post='5783995']
Looks nice to me. Maybe dropping it inside a tad more would appear more pro. but thats personal preferance of ball flight. Im curious to your misses like hozel rockets. If you find a certain movement proves to be inconsistant such as a hip move then maybe its somthin you should minimize. Tiger use to get away with a crazy hip move but he owned it. Your not as flawed as i am so i dont really have too much input. A front view could show more hip, head, movement.

What swing thought are you using for your hips. The one common thought i have seen and heard from tv, magazines, pros such as Al Sutton, Fowler, Dustin Johnson is foucs on the right hip bone rotating flat and around through the ball. Which helps with any crazy pulls, dips and thrusts. Im thinking dips and thrusts.can vary so hence will consistancy. A pure flat rotation tends to hurt my lower back for some reason. I find the happy medium. It does help with consistancy and straight ball flight for me. A local swing coach my way throws around average stat of 17 degrees is average. He must have picked that up from an analysis study. The goalbis somthing repeatable that works.
[/quote]

With finding the hosel, i usually find it hard to identify why im doing it, but imagine its simply me not getting the club face around in time thus the hosel leading toward the ball.. i find when i try for less, not swing as hard and think about tempo, its corrected... at least thats what was happening in my last range session. When i dont try and over swing i end up with a nice soft draw with mid trajectory. I find that i also dont really lose distance swinging this way.. maybe timing it better

I havent used that swing thought with the hips.. when you say flat, do you mean having the thought of the right hip swinging parallel to the ground?

When i think about the hip movement.. im thinking of pulling my left hip back more so

[quote name='akiracornell' timestamp='1350013553' post='5783995']
What swing thought are you using for your hips. The one common thought i have seen and heard from tv, magazines, pros such as Al Sutton, Fowler, Dustin Johnson is focus on the right hip bone rotating around and flat; not coming down and up.
[/quote]

I went on the range again with this swing thought in mind, keeping the right hip bone flat/parallel while turning through the shot and i like this thought quite a bit.. In the session, it ended up being for the most part my only swing thought while hitting and was producing good results..

Likely hasnt made a huge change to my mechanics, but im liking what its doing for me..

Here is a driver DTL clip trying to maintain this thought

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkIbJbdsiNU

• 2 weeks later...

I really like your previous swing.. where you got above the shoulder plane... your club face was matching when you were doing this...

If your trying to swing on your shoulder plane...i see some grip changes coming.. club face is pointing to the sky more.. instead of matching your left arm.

Most people.. manipulate the start of the downswing by coming from the inside to fix that face problem. Which i think is a unnecessary move. I prefer getting to my left side and firing through the ball better.

Hopefully this helps...

Yeah it's an interesting one with the top of the backswing. I certainly didn't intend on that change so will have to work on it. I guess when you focus on one thing, something else changes.

I have a better 'feeling' on the downswing in so much as I get a better sense of what I'm doing with the club by thinking about the hands. Obviously needs a lot of work and will see a golf pro soon too for some lessons