2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Cannot fix this slice . Scratch golfer. **UPDATED**

Hey everyone Im around a 1 handicap but I have been struggling a little here lately. I have been working very hard on getting the club more inside on the downswing instead of cutting across it and causing a cut. As you can see in the video I am trying to come a little but more outside on my take away and then drop it down under  on my downswing if that makes sense. I have worked tirelessly but still cannot stop hitting a 15-20 yard cut with my driver and a 5-7 yard cut with my irons. I know the video isnt great but its something. One of the the pros at my course looked at me on the range and told me he wanted me to get my weight a little on my front foot rather than my back. Im open to any suggestions or drills. Pleasehelp and thanks ahead of time

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J48lNBI2crI

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definite over the top move there, coming OTT then out to in and holding the face square. Your miss is probably a nice big pull.

Fix is pretty simple. Next time you at the range put a tee about 30-40cm behind the ball directly down your target line. On your take-away you want to take the club back over the tee. You should get into a less stuck position at the top and this should let you bring the club down more on plane.

If you really want help.. post a side video.. also make sure you align the video camera better behind you.

It's hard to say.. but i believe your club face is open at your top of the swing. The leading edge should match up with your left arm. It also looks like the shaft would be aiming to left field at the top of the swing.

Your swing looks really good.. Just get it better position at the top.. Could be a grip issue.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J48lNBI2crI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J48lNBI2crI[/url]

Here's a video from today. I tried taking the club further outside on the backswing and getting it higher so its be easier to drop the hands down. As you can see it is a work in progress. There were a couple good swings and a couple bad. I'm gonna get some side video tomorrow. Let me know what you think. And yes the glasses are stupid.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nmXyWi_QzNY

Couple of comments. I think you have too much arm separation from your body. I thought where you dropped your club head right before you reach over to get the ball is where you should be. I thought you were going to take another practice swing, but you reached over another 5 inches or so to get the ball. In this image, the left image is where you drop your club head before reaching over, the middle one is Rory Mcilory as a comparison, and the third one is you reaching over another 5 inches to hit the ball. It's not perfect, but it's a quick photoshop. I like your first position. It's very similar to Rory's. You're standing tall and over the ball. Then you reach out another 5 inches. Rewatch your video. You go from an ideal position to a worse one to reach the ball. Instead I think you should be addressing the ball in the stance that you're in in the left picture. The left picture, you're very much like Rory. In the right picture, you get out of alignment a little.

[attachment=1405713:Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 12.34.44 AM.png]

This makes you hunch over and you're not standing as tall and to reach the ball on your downswing, you swing considerably from the outside. Your right arm starts inside your left (in the left picture) and then you reach over and now it's slightly outside - a recipe for a fade. It's totally counter intuitive, but that's just how the body works. If you bring your arms in where you originally were, you'd be able to close the face better. Leaving the ball out there, makes you swing from the outside, which leaves your club face slightly open at impact. Bringing your arms in makes you more compact and you don't have to reach for the ball and you'll tuck your right arm into your body so you'll naturally come more from the inside. Try this with your driver. Exaggerate it and separate your arms twice what you would normally do. I guarantee you'll slice the crap out of the ball.

Look how much you slump over. It's not much, but it makes you shorter, hunched over, and you bend your knees more. The two red lines are the same. I just drew a line from your back to your rear on the left image and then just copied the same line onto your right image to show you how much your alignment changes when you lean over to reach the ball.

[attachment=1405731:Screen Shot 2012-11-02 at 1.03.31 AM.png]

One last thing. If you have trouble with fixing the ball and arm position. Try firing your hips a little faster. They seem to lag behind your arms a little. This is also my mistake as well. When I notice I start to fade the ball a little (I normally play a baby draw), I know it's because I'm too focused on my arms at impact and I forget to clear my hips out of the way and then my club path is way outside my body. I have the same double fire Rory does, so when I forget to fire quickly, my timing is all off and I start the ball straight and fade it right.

I hope this helps, but what do I know, right? I'm a 8 handicap. (Mostly because I'm a crap putter. My ball striking is my strong suit)

Superman912 - Good call on arm separation from the body. Arms should hang naturally.. Get in a golf setup position and your arms hanging down from the sockets and then clap them together.-----

However, I think the real problem begins with him making a sitting down like move before he makes his swing, which makes his arms get passed his natural hanging down position at setup.

akiracornell - Good call on coming inside more on the downswing. Club shaft needs to be matching more of the right arm.

I do see some lower body issues in your swing.

1. Maintain a better right knee flex.
2. Not clearing properly... The culprit is the right foot not finishing properly. The side video will help show the lower body movement.

I do like to see the shaft at the end of the swing finish more on the neck line.

One of the probems i have at the top is a flexibilty issue with my right elbow and wrist. Because i play a weak right hand i found that if i fold my right wrist where the palm is facing directly upward under the shaft instead of baseball like grip, im able to better bring it down inside without letting the right elbow and wrist bringing it over the top. My lack of flex in my right wrist and elbow are the.culprit to me being OTT. The hand manipulation allow me.to bring down inside. Th rolling over of the right hand through release feels different with such folded hand at the top
I dont know if you have the same flexibity issues but i thought id throw it out there