Club/Ball speed to distance?

JBG89

Is there any type of factor or ratio that compares ball speed to distance? (i.e. something like smash factor). I'm looking to see if im maximizing my distance or if I should be looking at a club with more/less loft, spin etc.

As for a point of reference my Swing speed on a launch monitor was about 115-120 and was getting ~305-315 out of the ball.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SS x 1.5 = Ballspeed, assuming absolutely perfect contact. Realistically more like SS x 1.48 on an average flushed shot.

Based on your ss you should be hitting upper 170s BS

Burner SFTP 8.5* (Aldila VS Proto 70x)
R9 TP 15* (Fubuki Tour 73x)
Rescue TP 19* (Voodoo XVS8)
TM 300 Forged 3-PW (Rifle 6.0 Flighted)
Vokey 200 56.12*/Ping Tour-W 60.10
Cleveland Classic 1 34.5"

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

unfortunately monitors really cannot measure how much clubhead speed your losing when your clubhead actually meets the ball imo. Its a conumdrum for the Trackman junkies. There are guys with slower swing speeds who hit farther than guys with fast swing speeds because they are able to leverage more force at impact thru the ball. The average golfer's drop off in swing speed at contact is around 20% and a really good hitter with power and strength can reduce that down to 10% but no Trackman is going to be able to measure it, sorry. And I'm not talking about sweet spot either or launch angle or smash factor. Its the wildcard unknown. I think its why guys can get into a gym and really get strength gains but show little difference in swing speed but still gain good distance. Force=Mass x Acceleration. The machines cannot really measure the Mass variable that leads to Force and they can't measure the quality of acceleration either. It assumes if you hit on the upswing that your club is accelerating but what the quality of the acceleration is and the changes in leverage applied, i.e. the Mass, it cannot measure. I have seen average golfers step up to machines at GolfSmith and get read outs that pinpoint 335 yard drives that were nowhere close to that. Not a prayer. Not on any outdoor range where I hit. I'm not a Ludite but these machines are limited and your eyes on an open,well marked range with Nike range balls are going to be considerably more accurate, more realistic.

[quote name='BobbieDollar' timestamp='1397069326' post='9055573']one other thing. If Trackman and swing speed are so accurate in determining distance why then on the Pro tour do the fastest swing speeds average 122-123 but only about 307 in distance? At those speeds the average distance from professional ball strikers should be 340-360.[/quote]

Conditions play a role in the actual distance. Also, I don't think that a lot of the pros are absolutely optimizing their drivers for distance, especially the bigger hitters. Otherwise, they'd be hitting 6* drivers with 5* upward angles of attack, Bubba notwithstanding. Unlike long drive guys, they only get one ball, so they have to hit the driver in a way that tries to maximize distance and control; for the longer guys, I'm guessing that means leaving some yards on the table.

[quote name='BobbieDollar' timestamp='1396666686' post='9024087']
unfortunately monitors really cannot measure how much clubhead speed your losing when your clubhead actually meets the ball imo. Its a conumdrum for the Trackman junkies. There are guys with slower swing speeds who hit farther than guys with fast swing speeds because they are able to leverage more force at impact thru the ball. The average golfer's drop off in swing speed at contact is around 20% and a really good hitter with power and strength can reduce that down to 10% but no Trackman is going to be able to measure it, sorry. And I'm not talking about sweet spot either or launch angle or smash factor. Its the wildcard unknown. I think its why guys can get into a gym and really get strength gains but show little difference in swing speed but still gain good distance. Force=Mass x Acceleration. The machines cannot really measure the Mass variable that leads to Force and they can't measure the quality of acceleration either. It assumes if you hit on the upswing that your club is accelerating but what the quality of the acceleration is and the changes in leverage applied, i.e. the Mass, it cannot measure. I have seen average golfers step up to machines at GolfSmith and get read outs that pinpoint 335 yard drives that were nowhere close to that. Not a prayer. Not on any outdoor range where I hit. I'm not a Ludite but these machines are limited and your eyes on an open,well marked range with Nike range balls are going to be considerably more accurate, more realistic.
[/quote]

Where have you discovered golfers losing only 10 percent of club head speed at impact? The way energy is transferred at collision, that would be some strange physics indeed.

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

[quote name='BobbieDollar' timestamp='1396666686' post='9024087']
[/quote]

What you say is incorrect. Trackman is indeed able to accurately measure ball speed after impact, it is possible to gain ball speed without increasing CHS by increasing smash factor. 1.52 smash has been recorded multiple times, and not because the club is illegal, even a center faced hit might only produce 1.47 smash for one person, when the same person might get 1.52 smash out of a center face hit, same club head so It is possible to impart my force to the ball with the same CHS.

Those machines at golf stores can easily be tweaked to increase sales too, even the CHS numbers.

Lots of wrong stuff in this thread. The main reason some people are getting 1.52 and some are getting 1.48 is because the TM is mis-identifying the center of the club head.

I can't believe that so many people say things with certainty about TM but clearly don't know it technically operates.

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

Nope, the trackman can see how fast the ball is going after impact. It can also see how fast the club is going, this is how it produces SF. It isn't like 1.5 is the magic number, anything over this is an illegal club. Bubba Watson has had a SF of around 1.51 A heavier club head has been shown to increase ball speed if CHS remains the same over a lighter club head, but this isn't the only factor.

• 2 weeks later...

Also, I think measured drives are just two drives of the day, regardless of whether it hit the fairway or not. What the PGA tour would do is take one is hit into wind, and one with tailwind. It measures the point where the ball stops... so if you're in the rough 270 out because of all carry and no roll... your average drive might just be in the 280s.

So trajectory optimizer really just takes the BEST scenario with your clubhead speed/ launch, etc.

Hope that helps explain why pga tour pros "average only" 307 yards.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='BobbieDollar' timestamp='1385887754' post='8232024']
for what its worth a teacher named Steve Pratt has said that a drive caught flush at 108mph with good launch angle can go 300 yards. Now mulitply 2.75 x 12 for a 120mph swing flush or 3X12 for maximum yield and you have an idea of the potentila there added onto to 300.
[/quote] It's do-able because you just described me except I don't quite get there on a monitor but I haven't seen one for a while. It's possible I approach that speed in the middle of a round and warmed up though I think I'd still be a few MPH short. Use an old 2009 Burner TP with a little tape under the front sides and 1/2" tipped 60s Rip Phenom. If I hit up with a high draw that hits the right edge and ends near the left edge of the fairway I can just about reach 300. (Slightly uphill straight par 5 with a very slightly downhill landing area.) Unfortunately, If I try that too often, it breaks down this 59 year old weekend golfer and raises my score from the misses. Usually more like 255-270 with a baby fade.