2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Would you suggest Upgrading to a Scotty Cameron ?

Old

First off:  I do not want to hear any comments saying "It's not the putter" or "Buy putting lessons instead" as I feel that putting is one of my best factors on the course. :classic_laugh:

Second off: Upgrading my putter is not the utmost priority for me at the moment , but it is something I've been really wanting to look into for months.

My current Putter is a Spyder that I bought used from my local Golfdom, I'm not sure the exacts on the year , exact model etc. but I love the thing. Cosmetically it has most certainly seen better days , as even upon purchase the putter was scratched and chipped all around it.  I got it for somewhere around 120-140 and I've decided that I could use it as a solid trade in towards a new hybrid (I'm aware I'll only get $80-90 lol) . I've been searching ebay for the past few days and have missed out on a ton of steals in my price range. I'm currently looking into used x8's and x11's that are up for auction, and have found many that have sold for a reasonable price that fits my budget. All I'm wondering is , would you recommend it? Wether you own a Scotty or not I want your opinion , as I've observed a Scotty Cameron bias :smilie_titty: among many owners lol. 

Posted (edited)

People have won with $5000 custom made putters hand made by Scotty Cameron himself while others have won with putters bought in the used club bin at a tour stop's local mom and pop store.

Just find one that you like regardless of price or brand.

Edited by cgasucks
  • Like 4

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

6 minutes ago, StoutKing said:

I have Spiders and Camerons.  I'm not sure that's an upgrade.  Find a putter you like that works for you regardless of brand.  

I love my Spider , but the current state of it just motivates me to trade it in before it keeps getting damaged (I feel like It's necessary  to include a picture of the club lol, so will do that when I'm available to) Grip is fine regardless of the other flaws, just have to been thinking it's a tad too heavy for me and doesn't glide on the grass how I like it. I have tried out a x8 and x11 but only in store , so I may being having a lapse of judgement when I say they felt lighter lol. Which Scotty Cameron(S) do you currently own? At first I was looking to go to a smaller putter  and was looking into used newports , but I can't lie I sunk a 35 foot texas wedge uphill and it kept me on the mallet train. It wouldn't damage the bank to upgrade as I would be trading the Spider in for either the new putter or on a later date . 

2 minutes ago, cgasucks said:

People have won with $5000 custom made putter hand made by Scotty Cameron him while others have won with putters bought the used club bin at a tour stop's local mom and pop store.

But the $5000 putters look cooler!! They have to have better performance right?? :classic_laugh: I feel like I should not have titled it solely " Upgrading to a Scotty Cameron" because I am indeed looking into different brands and trying new ones out. Realizing now that I'm giving the impression I'm a rookie and a sheep 😂 and only one of those things are true.

7 minutes ago, Old said:

Realizing now that I'm giving the impression I'm a rookie and a sheep 😂 and only one of those things are true.

You have only a few posts to your name and your account is unconfirmed.  Of course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

Posted (edited)

If you want a Scotty and can afford it, go ahead. It won't make you putt better but they sure look nice. I've had a dozen Scotty putters over the years. Had a few early ones before anyone knew who he was. I liked them but nothing special for me at least. I built a Maltby putter last year and it feels every bit as good as some Scotty putters I've owned, only cost me 100 bucks 👍

Play what makes you happy man.

Edited by kwcsports
spelling
  • Like 3

You've mentioned a few times you love your Spider a lot. I see that as a reason to keep it. 

You also mentioned possibly trading it in to avoid more dings/damage. Same thing will happy to a Scotty. 

I wouldn't upgrade to a Scotty if I were you I'd buy a newer Spider especially if yours is the same re-release as the older ones. 

• Like 3

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Roll what you like or what you want.  I've owned numerous Scotty's over the years and have sold all of them.  I don't find anything remotely special or better about them in the least.  If you want to get a new putter then by all means go for it.   I just wouldn't personally call it an "upgrade".

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 Driver

Callaway Apex Pro 2H

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 3i

Mizuno Pro 243 4i-PW
Mizuno T22 48*, 54*, 60*
Scotty Cameron B3 Long Neck
Callaway Chrome Tour

I went the other direction, switched from a SC Newport 2 blade-style to an Odyssey AI-One 7 (S or CH depending on the day - trying to figure it out).  I really like the Odyssey so far but at some point I'll give the SC another shot to see how it feels - they are excellent putters but not magic

Is a Scotty even an “upgrade” anymore?  They aren’t even the most expensive putters at box stores.  I started my recent putter adventure with two limited Scotty Newports and am awaiting delivery of something completely different.  

As much as I wanted to be the cool limited edition Scotty blade guy…. I just don’t putt with them very well.

If you get a Scotty Cameron just for the name then you will greatly be disappointed.  There is no magic in them and they roll it just like any other putter out there.  If you like the spyder then I would consider sticking with that model.    

• Like 3

Titleist TSR 9* TPT 18lo

Titleist TSR 3 wood 15* TPT 18lo

Titleist TSR 5 wood 18* AD DI 8S

Titleist T200 4i PX LZ 6.0

Titleist T150 5-9i PX LZ 6.0

Titleist T100 PW 45* PX LZ 6.0

Vokey SM9 50* PX LZ 6.0 

Vokey SM9 54* PX wedge 6.0

Vokey SM9 60* PX wedge 6.0

LAB Mezz Max TPT

I’d only go Scotty if you’re looking for a milled putter that’s got the name people know. Putters are very personal and will only be an upgrade if you see the value in whatever you end up getting. You could always “upgrade” to a new Spider - they’re great putters. 

Callaway Ai Smoke TD Max 9° - Denali Blue 60 6.5

Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15°, 20° - Denali Black 70 6.0

Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW - Modus 115

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Toulon Small Batch Texas

Titleist Pro V1

Got a few Scotty putters. But the current gamer is a Champions Choice Flowback 5.5. Absolutely amazing.

Just picked up a new Spyder TourX to give it a go. played a few rounds with it…. Usually put it in play when I have a bad putting round.

Currently on the fence which to keep in play. Both great putters. Tough choice. Leaning towards my Gamer Scotty.

• Like 1

“Upgrading”.  Sure. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

1 hour ago, Old said:

I love my Spider , but the current state of it just motivates me to trade it in before it keeps getting damaged (I feel like It's necessary  to include a picture of the club lol, so will do that when I'm available to) Grip is fine regardless of the other flaws, just have to been thinking it's a tad too heavy for me and doesn't glide on the grass how I like it. I have tried out a x8 and x11 but only in store , so I may being having a lapse of judgement when I say they felt lighter lol. Which Scotty Cameron(S) do you currently own? At first I was looking to go to a smaller putter  and was looking into used newports , but I can't lie I sunk a 35 foot texas wedge uphill and it kept me on the mallet train. It wouldn't damage the bank to upgrade as I would be trading the Spider in for either the new putter or on a later date . 

I have some Newport 2s left, but I'm gaming a Toulon and a LAB.  I had the X5, X5.5, X11.5 and X11.  Sold them all as they didn't perform well form me.  The best performing putter I've had over the past few years is an OG White Hot 7s.

Anyway you have to do your own research and testing.  Probably getting fitted is your best option.

Long term checkout the Older... pro platinums.2000,2002ish...no weights, that if you like that simple Anser look. Also grab a few Ping Anser, Anser 2 older putters. 

See if this style of putter suits you.😊

• Like 1

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

You want a Scotty. This is why you posted.  Get a Scotty. 
Is it going to better than other putters? No, unless it somehow fits you better than the Spyder. 
Will you like it better than your beat up Spyder?  Yep. 
Get a Scotty. Scottys, if nothing else, have a nice “feel” about them.
Life can be short. If you’ve got the resources and you’re not affecting what’s really important with cash spent on golf, enjoy! 

• Like 3

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

No

Callaway Rogue Max LS Driver, 9 degrees, Kai'li Red shaft

TaylorMade SIM2 Ti  5 wood

Ping G425 Max 7 wood
Cobra 4 hybrid

Cobra 5 hybrid
Srixon ZX5 irons 6-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 Tour 120 shafts

Cleveland RTX6 48* wedge

Cleveland Zipcore 54* wedge
Cleveland RTX 58* full face wedge
Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K Rossie DB  putter

Posted (edited)

I have used Cameron’s for many years and I also have a new spider x. If you’re going to switch to a Cameron I’d advise that you make sure it’s right for you (loft, lie, they feel firm compared to insert putters, etc). It won’t make you any better of a putter, but they feel nice if you like a milled putter and they hold their value so you will get most of any money you spend on it back if you decide to get rid down the line.

You will also have to put up with the Cameron hater brigade. No idea why the clubs inspire such hatred when there are other brands like betti, ping, Toulon etc all at the same price or more expensive. 

The common consensus is also the older Cameron’s are better. So if you can find one in good condition then that’s another route. I game a 2008 special select Newport two normally and also own a Newport t22 for when it gets really fast at our course, but the spider is getting a chance as I’ve had a rough patch.

At the end of the day it’s your money and we take more putts than we use any other club. If you want a Cameron get one, they are nice putters. I’ll never sell mine, I have good memories with both of them.

Edited by philly2kuk
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR2 10 set at 11 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 tour 
Titleist ts3 21 Hzrdus Smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Titleist Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Taylormade MySpider Tour X
Taylormade tp5x

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]

I have a Scotty detour 2.5 and a had a Futura at one point. I'm gaming a $40 inazone odyssey #7 clone. Why?  Because I setup and roll the #7 much more consistently and make more putts. The Scotty is nice when my stroke is absolutely dialed but if I'm off with my aim or release, I'm not making any putts. I will keep my Scotty because everyone likes to say they own one for bragging rights. But if I'm playing for something I'm rolling whatever lowers my score.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I think if you love your spider, just keep it. In my opinion, the more dings and chips I see on a dude’s putter, the more terrified I will be playing with that dude 🤪

Edited by KodakkuSensei
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cobra LTD Pro *8.5 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 75-TX

Mizuno ST190 3w Aldila 6S

Titleist 917 5h w/ a SR shaft need to be changed

Srixon ZX5 5~7 KBS C-Taper 130

Srixon ZX7 8~P KBS C-Taper 130

Titleist Vokey SM5 50* DG S200

Cleveland RTX 6 56* w/ 10* bounce TT Spinner

Mizuno t22 60* w/ 6* bounce TT S400

L.A.B Mezz Max Broomy 48" Accra

Titleist AVX

8 hours ago, cgasucks said:

People have won with $5000 custom made putter hand made by Scotty Cameron him while others have won with putters bought the used club bin at a tour stop's local mom and pop store.

I will echo that statement. Get what you want and enjoy. Life is too short not to be happy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

Irons 5 thru 9 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

PW-- 1962 Macgregor FC-400 11 iron Pro Pel 2 shaft

SW -- Callaway Mac Daddy 52* 

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Ping Zing 2 SS Fluted Bulls Eye shaft

Down to only 11 clubs playing the best since my accident

34 minutes ago, KodakkuSensei said:

I think if you love your spider, just keep it. In my opinion, the more dings and chips I see on a dude’s putter, the more terrified I will be playing with that dude 🤪

Agree dings and dents along with a little lead tape add street creed if you ask me. Seriously if you see a dude (or lady for that matter) putting with an older dinged up putter (no matter the brand) chances are they have been playing it for years and are confident in it.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

Irons 5 thru 9 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

PW-- 1962 Macgregor FC-400 11 iron Pro Pel 2 shaft

SW -- Callaway Mac Daddy 52* 

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Ping Zing 2 SS Fluted Bulls Eye shaft

Down to only 11 clubs playing the best since my accident

3 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

I have used Cameron’s for many years and I also have a new spider x. If you’re going to switch to a Cameron I’d advise that you make sure it’s right for you (loft, lie, they feel firm compared to insert putters, etc). It won’t make you any better of a putter, but they feel nice if you like a milled putter and they hold their value so you will get most of any money you spend on it back if you decide to get rid down the line.

You will also have to put up with the Cameron hater brigade. No idea why the clubs inspire such hatred when there are other brands like betti, ping, Toulon etc all at the same price or more expensive. 

The common consensus is also the older Cameron’s are better. So if you can find one in good condition then that’s another route. I game a 2008 special select Newport two normally and also own a Newport t22 for when it gets really fast at our course, but the spider is getting a chance as I’ve had a rough patch.

At the end of the day it’s your money and we take more putts than we use any other club. If you want a Cameron get one, they are nice putters. I’ll never sell mine, I have good memories with both of them.

That Tertllium insert on the T22 like Campions Choice is amazing and what keeps me with it. Gives you a nice soft touch. 
Spyder putters are very popular too. 

• Like 1

Have you honestly tried any of the Scotties?  I find them to be heavy headed and awkward to keep square.  Had a couple, moved them on to SC lovers and currently using a PGA Tour Superstore demo'd TM Spider GT with good success.  Nothing beats draining 15-20 foot putts to put a smile on your face.  I'd use an old beat up Ping Anser or Wilson 8802 if it worked for me.

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS driver Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 stiff

Srixon ZX 3 & 7 fairway woods Aerotech Ti-Fiber Tour 70 stiff

Srixon ZX 4 hybrid Diamana ZX stiff

Epon AF-302 irons 5-PW Tour AD 95 stiff

Fourteen DJ-5 50*/54*/58* wedges NS Pro TS-114

TM Spider GT-X putter

Sun Mountain blue mid-stripe stand bag

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball