Hogan's Body Proportions

rybo ·  
ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
Has anyone noticed Hogan had really long legs, a short torso, very long arms and huge hands? <br />
<br />
When I watch videos of him, his body proportions just seem so odd. His hands would almost go to his knees without bending over. <br />
<br />
<br />
I love his swing and his explanations of his positions, however as someone who is 6' 4" I find it quite difficult to relate to some of his positions in his books.
Posted:

Comments

• dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13883WRX Points: 1,442Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,883 Titanium Tees
    And people wonder why he played such flat clubs. 5'7" tall with long arms. All the Hogan-ites I see on the web think that automatically flattening clubs is some kind of secret, but if you look at how the guy was built it makes sense, his clubs just fit him. <br />
    <br />
    But yeah, Hogan could probably create and arc normally associated with a person who was much taller, freakishly strong for his size as well.
    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • eightironeightiron Banned  3136WRX Points: 0Posts: 3,136
    I think it's exaggerated a fair bit because he pulled his trousers up to his belly button
    Posted:
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    eightiron wrote:
    <br />
    I think it's exaggerated a fair bit because he pulled his trousers up to his belly button<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Granted he did wear his pants on the high side, still his arms literally almost go to his knees.
    Posted:
    There is a shirtless picture of him floating around somewhere . I agree the arms are longish , but I'd bet his leg are shortish
    Posted:
  • FadeFade Members  1343WRX Points: 248Posts: 1,343 Platinum Tees
    eightiron wrote:
    <br />
    There is a shirtless picture of him floating around somewhere . I agree the arms are longish , but I'd bet his leg are shortish<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Hogan getting his physical exam prior to joining the army in 1943:<br />
    <br />
    11371.jpg<br />
    <br />
    http://www.historicg...-physical-1943/
    Posted:
  • dairicdairic Members  1098WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,098
    Posted:

Advertisement
    Ok let me try to put some perspective on this. I am 6' 4" and to the top of the outer most spot on my shoulders, right where a shirt sleeve would meet the body of a shirt, is 5' 4 1/2". Hogan would not make it to my chin. The top of Hogans shoulders would be around my belly button. This is a huge difference in size that has to be considered. WTF is rendered useless in a case like this. <br />
    <br />
    Hogan was a little man who swung as big as possible to maximize what he had. Now back to my original post, this is where tall people may have an issue relating to some of his positions. Personally I can put myself into some of his positions but the club doesn't reach the ground. Maybe this is why someone like Dufner who is only like 5' 10", has what looks like a normal arm length and a self proclaimed Hogan disciple plays a 46" driver. <br />
    <br />
    I'm only trying to figure out how to adapt his swing model from the perspective of utmost respect. However as I am writing this I am now realizing this just might not be possible.
    Posted:
  • dlygrissedlygrisse KansasMembers  13883WRX Points: 1,442Handicap: 8-ishPosts: 13,883 Titanium Tees
    It would be better to try and model your swing to someone who is built more like you in my opinion. Ernie Els, Tom Weiskopf, Vijay, or Stewart Cink.
    Posted:
    I pick 14 of the following:
    Ping G400
    Callaway Epic Flash 3w 
    Ping G410 5 and 7 wood
    Callaway Apex 23*
    Ping G 4-U
    Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
    Grips NDMC +4
    Odyssey Pro #1 black
    Hoofer
    ProV1x-mostly
    ECCO Biom Hybrid 3
  • PingG10guyPingG10guy Members  4057WRX Points: 0Posts: 4,057
    It would be better to not make excuses for coming up short.<br />
    <br />
    You can swing like hogan if you want. You dont need his build and his equipment.
    Posted:
    PIngG10<br />
    <br />
    I'm not making excuses. Current handicap is +2.6. I simply love the way Hogan swings the club and after numerous attempts to emulate him to some degree, I continue to run into too many issues. **** I can barely buy a vehicle without having to look through the blue strip at the top of the windshield. No person who is 5' 7" has that issue. <br />
    <br />
    I didn't post this to talk about height differences, more about his body proportions and how they related to his swing. However as these handful of posts have made me realize, I likely can not emulate him to the degree necessary as our body proportions are just so different. <br />
    <br />
    I am 13% larger then Hogan (76"/67"). Now if Hogan has the perfect swing and the perfect driver length for him was 43" then I would require a 48.6" (43*1.13) based purely height proportions. Or a different way to look at it is what if hogan was 13% larger, he would need longer clubs to duplicate all of his body positions.
    Posted:
    I think the piece that could be the hardest for you to achieve is the tilts , especially getting the correct amount of right side bend for impact , assuming you are right handed
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
    eightiron wrote:
    <br />
    I think the piece that could be the hardest for you to achieve is the tilts , especially getting the correct amount of right side bend for impact , assuming you are right handed<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    That picture above makes me think of the pantaloons thread. Classic stuff.
    Posted:
  • playaplaya Members  8756WRX Points: 282Posts: 8,756 Titanium Tees
    eightiron wrote:
    <br />
    I think it's exaggerated a fair bit because he pulled his trousers up to his belly button<br />
    <br />
    Yep, hence the name Hogan highpants, as he was popularly know in the locker room back in the day.
    Posted:
  • QEightQEight FinlandMembers  3521WRX Points: 189Handicap: 11,0Posts: 3,521 Titanium Tees
    eightiron wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    You mean up to the waist, like trousers were meant to worn then?
    Posted:
    Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2
    Titleist 910f 3W
    Callaway XHot hybrid
    Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Tri-Ball SRT
  • tembolo1284tembolo1284 Boom Boom Banned  20715WRX Points: 1Handicap: BeefPosts: 20,715 Titanium Tees
    dairic wrote:
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    That's the picture that sparked that lovely pantaloons thread!
    Posted:
    Fade wrote:
    <br />
    eightiron wrote:
    <br />
    There is a shirtless picture of him floating around somewhere . I agree the arms are longish , but I'd bet his leg are shortish<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Hogan getting his physical exam prior to joining the army in 1943:<br />
    <br />
    11371.jpg<br />
    <br />
    http://www.historicg...-physical-1943/<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Dude was skinny!
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.