Trip to Scotland Late October

I will be in the Netherlands for a couple weeks in October on business and will be taking some vacation while I'm there. I was thinking this will be a great opportunity to play some courses I otherwise would likely never play. Scotland was the first place that came to mind. The trip will be anywhere from 5 days to a week, haven't nailed it down yet. I will be investing in some rain gear before I leave. Looking for input from some WRXers.

My rough plans are as follows:

Fly into Edinburgh. Probably will rent a car for convenience. Head up to St Andrews. Old course is something I would really like to do, and being a single it sounds like I should not have a problem getting on. The 3 day ticket also looks interesting, good value for a ton of golf. I am fairly young and would probably do 36 a day. Any thoughts on the St Andrews courses besides the old course? Is it worthwhile spending 3 days playing these courses? Also wondering about accommodation in St Andrews.

If I spend 4 days playing the St Andrews courses I will have a couple days left to go elsewhere. Any recommendations on spots I should check out? Keep in mind I am not looking to spend hundreds of dollars per round. I know Carnoustie and Kingsbarns are nearby but not cheap. I would be willing to drive a couple hours from St Andrews for the right spot.

Basically I am open to any input which will help make this an enjoyable trip. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

look into coming up here to Aberdeen... within two hours and we have -

Royal Aberdeen - this years Scottish open
Trump Links - going to be a classic tournament course
Cruden Bay - beautiful but easier links...

The weather may be hit or miss though...

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

You would be best playing links courses as a lot of the inland ones will be starting their winter coring programe and this would spoil your enjoyment. Also check your travelling doesn't coincide with the Dunhill links event on the European Tour as they use The old course, Carnoustie and Kingsbarns (another fantastic course).

If you did decide to head up to Aberdeen (good choices) you could also head further along towards the Moray coast and play Lossiemouth (Old Morray) and Nairn's West course. Moray is my favourite course and Nairn is also great with the finest greens I have ever played on.

Castle Stuart (Inverness) is also very nice but like Trump's course it can be a bit more expensive.

These and the Aberdeen courses are better than most of the other courses in St Andrews. I love the whole feel of the town and it is a great place to be but whilst The Old Course and New are great the rest are enjoyable but not as good as the ones mentioned.

I would do the Old and New on the same day then head up north.

I play all through the winter and find all I need to keep warm is an UnderArmour style base layer then another light layer then a full waterproof top.
Lined trousers or thermal tights can help as well.

Hope this helps a bit.

Stewart.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

Carnoustie, Monifieth and Panmure, only a 40 min drive from St Andrews, if you don't want to drive 2 hours. Scotscraig is a decent track too, only 15-20 mins from St Andrews. Leven Links and Lundin Links are also only about 25 mins drive from St Andrews. So is Balcomie Links and Elie. So you're spoilt for choice really.

If it was me, and I didn't want to be driving 2 hours, I would be looking at Carnoustie, Panmure and Monifieth to be honest. Check out all the above websites, do your homework, and plan journey times, and do the ones you like the look of best, within the travelling time you set for yourself.

I'll be back up in St Andrews in December for a week or so, and as I've played the Old Course many times, I'll be playing the New Course, Jubilee, Panmure, and either Monifieth or Carnoustie, but you won't be short changed whatever you decide. Enjoy!

[quote name='Chilidog' timestamp='1409018858' post='10007879']
Forget spending that much time in St Andrews. Play the Old and the New and then head to Kingsbarns. After Kingsbarns, head to Carnoustie (will be the toughest round of golf you've ever played) and then finally head to Royal Aberdeen and Trump International (will be the best course you'll ever play).
[/quote]

I would agree with those choices and if you had the time try and fit in Old Moray and Nairn (west).
That would be the dream golf holiday!

The StAndrews other courses are all OK if you are keeping to that area but there is far better elsewhere.

Forget spending that much time in St Andrews. Play the Old and the New and then head to Kingsbarns. After Kingsbarns, head to Carnoustie (will be the toughest round of golf you've ever played) and then finally head to Royal Aberdeen and Trump International (will be the best course you'll ever play).
[/quote]

I think the OP has already said that he doesn't want to spend hundreds of $$$, and is not keen to pay the Kingsbarns prices, so that would take out Trumps' attempt at a Links Course too, pretty expensive, as is Kingsbarns.

As the OP doesn't want to spend $$$, then the likes of Monifieth, Panmure, Leven, Lundin, Balcomie, Elie, Scotscraig, or even head up to Montrose Links, which I've always liked when I've played there. There may also be some 'shoulder rates' for October at some of those Courses, which will bring down the prices a little more too.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1409039954' post='10009091']
[/quote]

I think the OP has already said that he doesn't want to spend hundreds of $$$, and is not keen to pay the Kingsbarns prices, so that would take out Trumps' attempt at a Links Course too, pretty expensive, as is Kingsbarns.

As the OP doesn't want to spend $$$, then the likes of Monifieth, Panmure, Leven, Lundin, Balcomie, Elie, Scotscraig, or even head up to Montrose Links, which I've always liked when I've played there. There may also be some 'shoulder rates' for October at some of those Courses, which will bring down the prices a little more too.
[/quote]

Everyone is different but I have played all the ones you mention but I could only put Scotscraig forward for a pick on a trip like this.
Leven might be on mats at that time of year and Panmure may be a bit soft?

They are all enjoyable courses but not close in quality to Cruden bay,Royal Aberdeen, Moray and Nairn. Most will have winter rates starting around October time.

funny my dad had a match against Panmure on saturday...

i asked him what Panmure was like - he said lovely course but when they come up here to Royal Aberdeen they struggle as it is so much harder...

i do want to play there though...

I haven't played Cruden Bay this year yet and i feel like i am missing out...

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1409040851' post='10009121']

i asked him what Panmure was like - he said lovely course but when they come up here to Royal Aberdeen they struggle as it is so much harder...

[/quote]

Oh yeah I agree, Panmure is fairly gentle in comparison to some, not a slog at all. But it's fair, a nice challenge, but not too severe I would totally agree.

I haven't played Cruden Bay this year either, so not sure how it's playing. Didn't they redo some of the bunkers, completely reshaped the 8th Green, and stripped some gorse out here and there too, last year? I haven't played up there since they redid the 8th Green.

Gullane #1 and 2 are fantastic and have great greens all year round then North Berwick down the road are three courses well worth a try if you thought about going South. They would be around a 2hr drive from St Andrews.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1409041590' post='10009137']

[/quote]

Oh yeah I agree, Panmure is fairly gentle in comparison to some, not a slog at all. But it's fair, a nice challenge, but not too severe I would totally agree.

I haven't played Cruden Bay this year either, so not sure how it's playing. Didn't they redo some of the bunkers, completely reshaped the 8th Green, and stripped some gorse out here and there too, last year? I haven't played up there since they redid the 8th Green.
[/quote]

don't know... dad is a member there and he hasn't played either...

was going to see if he fancies it sunday.... but he doesn't like golfing sundays!!!

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

[quote name='Gem' timestamp='1409041602' post='10009139']
Gullane #1 and 2 are fantastic and have great greens all year round then North Berwick down the road are three courses well worth a try if you thought about going South. They would be around a 2hr drive from St Andrews.
[/quote]

Gullane is a fair shout, as their 'shoulder rate' starts on 1st October, so the OP can play #1 Course for only £52 and #2 Course for only £36, so that's definitely worth a look. North Berwick rates will still be on Summer rates of £90, but it's worth it, one of my all time favourite Courses anywhere!

[quote name='scott_Donald' timestamp='1409041770' post='10009145']
[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1409041590' post='10009137']

[/quote]

[/quote]

don't know... dad is a member there and he hasn't played either...

was going to see if he fancies it sunday.... but he doesn't like golfing sundays!!!
[/quote]

Drag him up there. I won't be able to get up there until at least next April now, because we already have some time booked in St Andrews in December, and we don't have any more time to spare before April. We have also got to try and find a self catering place to stay near Cruden, and there aren't that many we can find at the moment.

[quote name='jay65' timestamp='1409042020' post='10009151']
[/quote]

Gullane is a fair shout, as their 'shoulder rate' starts on 1st October, so the OP can play #1 Course for only £52 and #2 Course for only £36, so that's definitely worth a look. North Berwick rates will still be on Summer rates of £90, but it's worth it, one of my all time favourite Courses anywhere!
[/quote]

I play over Gullane #2 and 3 on the winter Kiwi and the greens are great even in December and January! £88 for a day on 1 and 2 would be well worth it.
I love North berwick too, real old style links with some quirky holes. I remember playing the front nine into the wind then the tide changed and I had the back nine into the wind as well!!

Another good course close to St Andrews is Ladybank. Usually decent condition all year as well. Don't think they start on mats until November.

Thanks for the input everyone. I should have been a bit more clear in the OP. I am not expecting every course on this trip to be a world class or famous track. Cost is a consideration and while some of the lineups suggested sound great, they are not cheap. I would like to get a couple famous courses in the schedule but I will be happy playing some more average courses also. If I really enjoy this trip I will find a way back in the future to hit some of the other courses. The Old Course is probably the top priority. I have read that the other St Andrews courses (New, Jubilee) are solid, and the Castle is debatable it seems. Given the value of the 3 day ticket, I have a hard time seeing how this option would not make a lot of sense. Basically I wanted to make sure the other St Andrews courses aren't total stinkers, which I can't imagine they would be. I am also considering Carnoustie. The championship course is the highlight but I see you can do a package with the other courses also, although they may not be great. This would give me 6 days of golf, throw in a day of exploring in Edinburgh maybe, and that's the week. Any thoughts on this?

[quote name='tmgolfer78' timestamp='1409115019' post='10016263']
Thanks for the input everyone. I should have been a bit more clear in the OP. I am not expecting every course on this trip to be a world class or famous track. Cost is a consideration and while some of the lineups suggested sound great, they are not cheap. I would like to get a couple famous courses in the schedule but I will be happy playing some more average courses also. If I really enjoy this trip I will find a way back in the future to hit some of the other courses. The Old Course is probably the top priority. I have read that the other St Andrews courses (New, Jubilee) are solid, and the Castle is debatable it seems. Given the value of the 3 day ticket, I have a hard time seeing how this option would not make a lot of sense. Basically I wanted to make sure the other St Andrews courses aren't total stinkers, which I can't imagine they would be. I am also considering Carnoustie. The championship course is the highlight but I see you can do a package with the other courses also, although they may not be great. This would give me 6 days of golf, throw in a day of exploring in Edinburgh maybe, and that's the week. Any thoughts on this?
[/quote]

Prety much all the courses mentioned will suit you fine and some will be prety decent for price too. Scotscraig, Ladybank and Leven are all around £45-55 and not far from StAndrews.

A trip to Edinburgh would be a good day out as well and you could do a round on Gullane 1 or 2 on the same day as they are only around 25 minutes from there. You would get round in 3 hrs easy if you played early giving you the rest of the day in Edinburgh.

The Jubilee is decent and can be tough in a wind and the Eden is not too bad. The Castle is a very nice course but the greens are really tricked up and spoiled it for me. That was around three years ago so they may have altered some by now?
The 3-day ticket would be great though and I would play the Castle, New and Jubilee as much as I could.

There will be plenty of cheap places to stay in and around StAndrews.
Hope you enjoy the trip.

[quote name='tmgolfer78' timestamp='1409115019' post='10016263']
[/quote]

The only issue you may find with the Carnoustie deal, is that, as a single, that deal may not be available, and it can only booked if you are in a 2 ball or more. Carnoustie will likely be 'walk up' and hope for the best in getting on, and that may be a chance you don't want to take. Travelling over from St Andrews, to approach the Starter at Carnoustie in the morning, with no guarantee what time you will get on, may be something that you don't want to do? By the way, the Burnside Course at Carnoustie, is still an excellent layout, the Buddon, less so. But the Burnside is very good indeed. It may be worth checking with Carnoustie by sending them an email, to check their current policy, but it may be as I said, that it will be a case of approaching the starter in the morning of play to see if he can slot you in. And that may not be ideal if if you are travelling up from St Andrews, and only you could decide whether it's worth taking that chance, but an email to them will confirm.

[/quote]

I was about to mention that I'd stay a couple of nights in St Andrews, then head to Edinburgh for a few nights (great, world class city) and play Muirfield, North Berwick, Gullane 1. Or you could drive over to the west coast and play Turnberry, Prestwick, Troon and prehaps Western Gailes.

If flying into Edinburgh do not over complicate this - look at the East Lothian links - there are lots of them. Gullane 1&2, Luffness New, Muirfield all within 1 mile of each other! North Berwick, Dunbar, Longniddry all worth playing. If cost was not an expense and with the right connections Renaissance and other new course along that coat worth playing.

In Fife other classics include Leven, Lundin, Crail, Elie - all fantastic old fashioned links. Scotscraig also worth the visit. The choice is huge. As much as Aberdeenshire and Highlands are great you are adding travel. Stick to East Lothian and Fife and perhaps Angus.