Help with 3W and Hybrid shafts

PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
edited Aug 12, 2019 7:31pm in WRX Club Techs #1

I recently switched my driver shaft to the Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex, which is a 79 gram shaft. This shaft is amazing and has really improved my dispersion and added some distance as well. However, because this shaft is as heavy as it is, I feel like I should probably find heavier shafts for my 3W (currently a 75 gram shaft) and hybrid (currently an 87g shaft). That, and I'm not a huge fan of either shaft, though neither is horrible.

If anyone has any recommendations for heavier wood and hybrid shafts that are similar to the Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5, I'd greatly appreciate it. Also, please feel free to tell me that weight progression doesn't really matter; I assume it does, but I'm definitely not technically savvy when it comes to shafts.

Driver: Mizuno ST190G, Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex
(Fairway woods in progress)
(Long irons in progress)
5i - PW: New Level 902, DG Tour Issue X100
Wedges: New Level M-Type Black 50/54, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx; Titleist Vokey SM7 60K Black, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S

Comments

• Howard JonesHoward Jones Members Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 4:09am #2

No shaft suggestions from me, but weight progression or Total weight is #2 in importance.....
    Use 5 grams uncut shaft weight pr inch for shaft weight if the shaft has the same balance points.

Think irons, a set thats matched to flat SW has equal grips, constant wgt shafts, but heads thats 7 grams apart, so TOTAL wgt progression is 14 grams pr inch.

Woods has average 10 grams from head to head, but they are made to play with a play length difference of 1.0 inch, so fs we now add 5 grams UN-Cut shaft weight, we get just above 14 grams pr inch since we loose a little when we butt cut, so we end up in the same area as Irons as TOTAL wgt progression pr inch.

If we go for a MOI match, head weight progression for irons is about 8.6 grams in 4/8" sets or 17.2 pr inch, so when you compare your woods, TOTAL weight progression "should be" from 14 (SW matched) to 18 grams (MOI matched) pr inch depending on....if balance points is different, this numbers might move some.

edited Aug 13, 2019 4:27am #3

Use lead tape on the underside of the shaft. Mark the middle of the shaft, and the middle of the lead tape, and align those marks so the tape goes grip to head direction (invisible from address).
    If the shafts you have feels good, you can legally play them with lead tape on, then no shaft change is needed, but this way you also get to figure out what shaft weight that club should have in YOUR bag.

Here is my chart for Shaft weight progression.
    Its PLAY length thats important here since we navigate in "grams pr inch", so never mind the headers who identify the head.

You dont mentioned play lengths on your clubs, but is we start from your irons, your new driver seems to be "1 row up" or 5 grams up and thats within what we expect. (plus minus 5 grams from this chart, its not often we end up with a larger variable)

'same chart, revised for TT AMT White makes it all more visible where ive included 5 grams up or down within the red frame.

• PhilomathesqPhilomathesq Legal EagleMembers Posts: 231 ✭✭✭

@Howard Jones said:
    Use lead tape on the underside of the shaft. Mark the middle of the shaft, and the middle of the lead tape, and align those marks so the tape goes grip to head direction (invisible from address).
    If the shafts you have feels good, you can legally play them with lead tape on, then no shaft change is needed, but this way you also get to figure out what shaft weight that club should have in YOUR bag.

Here is my chart for Shaft weight progression.
    Its PLAY length thats important here since we navigate in "grams pr inch", so never mind the headers who identify the head.

You dont mentioned play lengths on your clubs, but is we start from your irons, your new driver seems to be "1 row up" or 5 grams up and thats within what we expect. (plus minus 5 grams from this chart, its not often we end up with a larger variable)

'same chart, revised for TT AMT White makes it all more visible where ive included 5 grams up or down within the red frame.

Thanks. Based on this chart, it looks like my irons are about right, and I should be looking for a 3W shaft around 85-90 grams and a 3H shaft around 100-105 grams?

Driver: Mizuno ST190G, Oban Kiyoshi Tour Limited 70 O5 flex
    (Fairway woods in progress)
    (Long irons in progress)
    5i - PW: New Level 902, DG Tour Issue X100
    Wedges: New Level M-Type Black 50/54, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx; Titleist Vokey SM7 60K Black, DG Tour Issue X100 Onyx
    Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Seven S

Depending on play lengths, yes, but i dont know if your irons is a better fit in weight for you than your new driver, so it all depend on what clubs we use as "point zero", and what play lengths .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file