Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

TaylorMade loft Sleeves

ekdekd Members Posts: 3
edited Aug 24, 2019 5:28am in WRX Club Techs #1

Please pardon my ignorance but I can not find a definitive answer to my question. The question is can I put a 3 degree loft sleeve in a head that came with a 4 degree. Common sense has me saying that you can’t but I can not confirm my theory. I also don’t have access to one to try it. Sorry if this is a dumb question or is in the wrong spot but if someone could please help me out that would be great.

Thanks for reading

Comments

• dhacker56dhacker56 Lefty Boomers Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the adapter is meant for the model it will work.

• ekdekd Members Posts: 3

@dhacker56 said:
    If the adapter is meant for the model it will work.

Well yea but are they cross compatible? That’s what I’m really trying to get at. Sorry if my first post was confusing.

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 30, 2019 9:41am #4

It will probably work fine but just knowing the range isn't enough to determine if it's compatible. The amount or full range of adjustment itself doesn't matter for compatibility but the number of settings does since that corresponds with the number of teeth on the cog at the tip of the adapter. TM has had two different generations of adapter designs and the two are not compatible because of the different number of teeth. But each generation had different versions with different ranges of adjustment.

The first generation had 8 settings and was used in the r9, r11, r11s, and orig RBZ. It was available in both +/- 1 degree versions and +/- 1.5* versions (which were completely interchangeable). Typically these adapters were red or green.

The second generation expanded the number of settings to 12 and was introduced for the R1 and RBZ stage 2 and has been used for all heads since. Those clubs have been released with both +/-1.5* and +/- 2* variants and I believe there are even some tour issue +/- 1* versions as well (although rarely seen). These were mostly black in color.

So both generations had +/- 1.5* versions (3 degree total). If it's an older first gen adapter, it will not be compatible. But if it's a newer second gen, it will.

• ekdekd Members Posts: 3

@Stuart_G said:
    It will probably work fine but just knowing the range isn't enough to determine if it's compatible. The amount or full range of adjustment itself doesn't matter for compatibility but the number of settings does since that corresponds with the number of teeth on the cog at the tip of the adapter. TM has had two different generations of adapter designs and the two are not compatible because of the different number of teeth. But each generation had different versions with different ranges of adjustment.

The first generation had 8 settings and was used in the r9, r11, r11s, and orig RBZ. It was available in both +/- 1 degree versions and +/- 1.5* versions (which were completely interchangeable). Typically these adapters were red or green.

The second generation expanded the number of settings to 12 and was introduced for the R1 and RBZ stage 2 and has been used for all heads since. Those clubs have been released with both +/-1.5* and +/- 2* variants and I believe there are even some tour issue +/- 1* versions as well (although rarely seen). These were mostly black in color.

So both generations had +/- 1.5* versions (3 degree total). If it's an older first gen adapter, it will not be compatible. But if it's a newer second gen, it will.

Very helpful Info thanks. To simplify though, if my head came with a black adapter any other black adapter will work?

• Stuart_GStuart_G New HampshireMembers Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@ekd said:

Very helpful Info thanks. To simplify though, if my head came with a black adapter any other black adapter will work?

That's a good simplification. Very high percentage/low risk approach. But maybe not 100%. I can't say for sure that TM never made any black versions of the first gen adapter. But if they did, they were very rare (maybe tour only).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file