Galvin Green vs. Zero Restriction

mp29

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ZR is pretty good stuff, but to me it tends to be too bulky for it's function. I can wear layers when it is cold, so I tend to shy away from product that combines wind proof and water proof like ZR. I love the GG stuff, too bad it's hard to get in the U.S., and it is so expensive. But their range of water proofs and wind proofs are tops. It costs a lot more than ZR, but to me it's the kind of purchase that lasts for a long, long time.

Galvin green is awesome. I have had several rain suits, sunderland ralph lauren etc, but none of them compare. After plaing in the rain you will be bone dry while wearing galvin green. I have no experience with zero restriction but i can't see it being on the same level as galvin green.

P.s it may be expensive but you get what you pay for and it is a great investment.

Jack

I don't have any GG but have seen it in the stores. I do have ZR and, contrary to a previous post, I love the way they combine wind and water protection. My dark blue zip off sleeve goretex ZR jacket is the best sports clothing purchase I have ever made. I use it for playing in the rain maybe 6-8 times per year, plus playing in cool or windy conditions (or practicing in them) another two to three dozen times per year. It is waterproof stuff that doesn't LOOK like a plastic bag.

I was previously a sales rep for Zero Restriction and am very close to the rep for Galvin Green.

There is a lot of confusion and mis-information about outerware within the industry so hopefully I can clarify a few things.

First, relating to this topic, Zero makes great products. The issue I have with their jackets are that the philosophy behind Zero is to make a jacket so massive that you have full range of motion during the golf swing. The telescopic cuff system is really a flawed concept and usually becomes more of a distraction than a benefit. Finally, their products have little to no "style" incorporated into the garments. The colors are dull and the styles are made for the guy who is wearing pleated Dockers and an oversized Tabasco polo shirt.

Galvin Green ONLY USES GORE TEX fabrics. The motto "we never compromise" is true down to every detail of every garment. GG has an unparalleled relationship with the W.L. Gore company that allows them to bring new, ultra high tech fabrics to market that no other golf companies have access to. They Introduce totally new colors and styles 2 times a year with their spring collection and in-season collection.

Check out the new "Ashford" full stretch, 2-layer Gore Tex pull-over available on spring 09 in 4 awesome colors. Unlike some other things on the market with proprietary stretch panels sewn in for mobility, it is a full stretch, Gore Tex membrane that is guaranteed to keep you dry for the life of the garment. The jacket retails for about $500 Cdn. Considering the current exchange rate, it would be about 25% less in US$.

One of the main problems with the current outerware situation in North America is that the companies that have a Gore licence (Zero, Sun Ice) keep expanding their non-Gore, proprietary fabric products because of cost. Zero has produced the same 3 colors in its Travelers jacket for 5 years because it is too expensive to change styles and colors with fabric as expensive and labor intensive as Gore Tex. Zero will continue to expand their "splash gear" line with cheap, poly/nylon materials from china to help increase their bottom line. Besides, if they sell you a piece of crap, less expensive treated poly "splash" jacket, you will probably need another garment to replace it a year or 2 later. Sun Ice is the worst with regards to the bait-and-switch tactics as outlined above. The worst part about Sun Ice is that even their high end garments face serious quality control issues that you will not find with Zero or Galvin Green.

Galvin Green is currently a $50M/yr private company in Europe and Canada and have chosen to not have an American distributor at this time as to not compromise the high level of quality,delivery and service that they provide to their current customers. Most of their products are made in Portugal in specialized factories that could not withstand an instant doubling of production.

You may see a gradual creep of Galvin Green into the top 50 private clubs and resorts in the US in the next couple of years but nothing major.

I think proper fit is really important. I hate to say it, but with respect to golf apparel such as ZR I will go into a store such as pga superstore, try some things on, determine my size, then place my order on the internet for 25% less. I'm not sure if I agree or not with the comment on ZR being too bulky. I'm an average height and weight middle aged male. I usually wear a large or medium jacket and shirt. The medium ZR jackets fit me perfectly. This is the pull over with button off sleeves. This garmet is so light weight and comfortable that I wear it all the time, dry weather or not, when it is cool.

I will say that when buying ZR you need to pay attention to the specific material. My jacket is goretex but as the poster above says, they also make a number of garments that are NOT goretex, at a lower price. If you don't understand the difference, you will end up thinking you got a great deal and then when the weather is really wet, you will regret it. I suggest going to the ZR website and checking out the options carefully, before you do any shopping.

In terms of style, I want something plain and traditional. Under-stated navy blue that looks like it has been worn a time or two, is exactly what I want. Not something that will look like last year's model, next year.

I can't comment ZR - but currently have a GG Anton jacket.

I think these are both function oriented brands, with a certain additional stylish side for GG in addition to being functional. The quality is good, it's not gimmicky on the technical side. The GG outers are generally quite thin and waterproof. They are tailored to allow you to wear what you want underneath - they will not suffice alone in cold weather - but you can slip a polar fleece on under them, and both the cuffs, hips and waist can be adjusted to accomodate the extra thickness.

GG is great - but quite expensive. ZR is more common, less well tailored (based on what I've ssen) but certainly as waterproof. Goretex guarantees the waterproofness - which is absolute 100% if the zippers are waterproof too.

I've had both ZR and Galvin Green in the past and prefer the ZR. In terms of waterproofing, they were equal. The Galvin Green looks better, or at least more modern. The main reason i preferred the ZR was the fit around the shoulders, which made it much easier to swing in. The ZR may be bulky, but it it allowed a much larger range of motion, and allowed me to swing as I normally would. The Galvin Green was just too tight for that, even when I went up a size from what I normally wear.