All this fake BB Talk

nmsrick ·  
nmsricknmsrick Members  106WRX Points: 0Posts: 106
.... has made me worried
so my sister and I wanted to make our Dad a new driver for Christmas so I watched and watched for a good deal on a regular flex BB. I finally found one from a seller on ebay that everyone here has heard of. The paint job looks good but I wanted experts to weigh in on the authenticity. Here are some pics.

I only ask because a few made comments about another BB that raised an eyebrow about this one. Thanks.

pulled the camera phone pics and tried to take better pics.
Posted:
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• marrigomarrigo Members  2876WRX Points: 133Posts: 2,876 Titanium Tees
    Is there any laser inscribing on the butt end (may be faint)? Can you post a clear and up close pic of the Diamana oval. Is this an x5ct or g35t?
    Posted:
    Driver- Cally X16 Pro, 8.0*, Fujikura Ventus Black, S
    3wd- TM SLDR TS, UST ATTAS Elements, S
    Hybrids- Cally RAZR-X Tour 18*&24* Matrix HM3 95 Black Tie, S
    Irons- TM RSI TP 4-PW, KBS Tour, S
    GW- Cally RAZR-X Forged, C-Taper S+ SS 2x
    SW/LW- Cally MD3,C-Taper S+SS 2x
    Putter- TM Spider Tour
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • nmsricknmsrick Members  106WRX Points: 0Posts: 106
    I don't see any etching.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • finalistfinalist MASHED POTATO! Members  5411WRX Points: 167Posts: 5,411 Bunkers
    no kidding. I ordered a Kai 'li through my club and I have them worried the coming stick could be a fake due to all the posts here. I'm ready with pics for the day it arrives although I bet it's going to be real.

I'll be looking for laser etching, certain typography on the bar code sticker, hologram sticker, and a CPM check. At least they can ship it right back and I won't have any headaches of the internet return stuff.
    Posted:
    Many Byron Putters
    Scratch Don Whites
    Scratch Jeff McCoys
    WITB Link
  • msfix13msfix13 Members  101WRX Points: 0Posts: 101
    Here are some pics of BB's fresh from Mitsubishi. You'll have to draw your own conclusions, your pics don't cover enough of the label to tell.

Posted:
    BB4.jpg 172.3K
    BB3.jpg 378.9K
    BB2.jpg 254.9K
    BB1.jpg 319.7K
  • finalistfinalist MASHED POTATO! Members  5411WRX Points: 167Posts: 5,411 Bunkers
    ahhh.. and a picture of the shaft bag above. Thanks!
    Posted:
    Many Byron Putters
    Scratch Don Whites
    Scratch Jeff McCoys
    WITB Link
    marrigo wrote on Dec 22 2009, 07:40 PM:
    Is there any laser inscribing on the butt end (may be faint)? Can you post a clear and up close pic of the Diamana oval. Is this an x5ct or g35t?

x5ct

new pics up. thanks.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • arcticreaverarcticreaver She says she are the manager Members  302WRX Points: 0Posts: 302
    so from the pics above i would say that if msfix13's pics are from real BB shafts, then nmsrick's shaft looks fake to me because the serial number sticker looks different. but i'm no expert.
    Posted:
    arcticreaver wrote on Dec 22 2009, 08:56 PM:
    so from the pics above i would say that if msfix13's pics are from real BB shafts, then nmsrick's shaft looks fake to me because the serial number sticker looks different. but i'm no expert.

that was kind of my thinking.
    Posted:
  • prestiegeprestiege PING a ling Members  2353WRX Points: 1Handicap: 14.6Posts: 2,353 Bunkers
    im kinda glad i got the stock cobra grip on my 83S BB and not something they may of had that i would play for a year before changing. i really dont like the stock grip and will definatly be changing it. just not sure with what yet. when i do, i will definatly take pics to compare. same with WB
    Posted:
    G25 10.5 kiyoshi purple 75
    G25 3w kiyoshi purple 85
    G25 5w kiyoshi purple 85
    S55 3-p kbs tour
    52/58 anser kbs tour
    Golo 7 cb
  • arcticreaverarcticreaver She says she are the manager Members  302WRX Points: 0Posts: 302
    nmsrick wrote on Dec 22 2009, 05:42 PM:
    arcticreaver wrote on Dec 22 2009, 08:56 PM:

that was kind of my thinking.

by any chance you can take your shaft to a local pro shop, who's got the shaft, and compare the two? since, it is a sticker so maybe it's just a different sticker the manufacture used.
    Posted:
  • chickenpotpiechickenpotpie #TeamJetSpeed Members  8538WRX Points: 151Handicap: 5.5Posts: 8,538 Titanium Tees
    Fake, sorry man. Seen that printed serial number several times. Real ones are etched. For some reason, they can fake the holograms, but not the etching. Go figure.

Just to confirm, please post a pic of the tip, looking at the cross-section of the tip (looking down the shaft from the tip end). There's another thing to check for there.
    Posted:
    Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
    WITB Link

Advertisement
  • cb_golfercb_golfer "fine purveyor of skanky fades" Members  1365WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,365
    chickenpotpie wrote on Dec 22 2009, 06:34 PM:
    Fake, sorry man. Seen that printed serial number several times. Real ones are etched. For some reason, they can fake the holograms, but not the etching. Go figure.

The etching in high-end shafts are done using a computer controlled laser hence the serial numbers are unique - that ain't cheap. Easy to get/make hologram stickers.
    Posted:
    chickenpotpie wrote on Dec 22 2009, 10:34 PM:

Just to confirm, please post a pic of the tip, looking at the cross-section of the tip (looking down the shaft from the tip end). There's another thing to check for there.
    Posted:
  • chickenpotpiechickenpotpie #TeamJetSpeed Members  8538WRX Points: 151Handicap: 5.5Posts: 8,538 Titanium Tees
    A little hard to tell because of the flash, but does it look like the paint ran over on to the tip?
    Posted:
    WITB Link
  • jeffblais09jeffblais09 Members  440WRX Points: 56Handicap: +3Posts: 440 Greens
    it is beyond fake
    Posted:
    WITB:

Taylormade M3 9.5* Tensei Pro Orange 70-TX tipped 1 1/2 in.

Taylormade SLDR Mini-Driver 12* Matrix Black 8M3 tipped 1 1/2 in.

Taylormade P790 2-5i DG Tour Issue X100

Taylormade P730 6-PW DG Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM8 54M & 60M

Giannini G-1

Vice Pro+ Neon Red
    chickenpotpie wrote on Dec 22 2009, 09:34 PM:

Shafts sent directly to OEMs have the painted serial number, but also usually have the laser etched also. Posted this in another thread but this pic below is a Blueboard sent to Taylor Made.

Posted:
    Putter- TM Spider Tour

Advertisement
    marrigo wrote on Dec 23 2009, 09:25 AM:
    chickenpotpie wrote on Dec 22 2009, 09:34 PM:

Shafts sent directly to OEMs have the painted serial number, but also usually have the laser etched also. Posted this in another thread but this pic below is a Blueboard sent to Taylor Made.

Thanks for your help. Here is a better attempt at the pics. Is the laser etching just the rings around the shaft? Is this is it or is this too light?
    Posted:
  • QegureziQegurezi Members  3828WRX Points: 143Posts: 3,828 Titanium Tees
    Do a pic of the Diamana label same as the WB above.
    Posted:
    No, the laser etching is like those shown in post #5 (actually those larger fonts look more like a silk screen to me) and/or like those below. Also attached a pic of a hologram sticker from my older whiteboard. I'm wondering if some of the confusion here may be due to older labels vs newer labels.

Posted:
    Putter- TM Spider Tour
    Qegurezi wrote on Dec 23 2009, 10:03 AM:

when i hold the shaft up to good light there is a line in the dark just as the WB has above.
    Posted:
    nmsrick wrote on Dec 23 2009, 11:28 AM:
    Qegurezi wrote on Dec 23 2009, 10:03 AM:

when i hold the shaft up to good light there is a line in the dark just as the WB has above.

That's a very good sign.
    Posted:
    Putter- TM Spider Tour

Advertisement
    chickenpotpie wrote on Dec 23 2009, 06:29 AM:
    A little hard to tell because of the flash, but does it look like the paint ran over on to the tip?

Should the paint bleed over or not for a real Mitsubishi?

Can somebody post a face on view of the tip section of a real BB, WB, or kai li like the one waaay above, so we can compare? thanks
    Posted:
    Many Byron Putters
    Scratch Don Whites
    Scratch Jeff McCoys
    WITB Link
    so here is the update.

I contacted the seller who was super nice. He gave me the name of the company he purchased from, who is authorized to sell BB's (even per the website). I gave them the info off of the club and he said it was authentic. Laser etching just started about 12 months ago. He said based of the lot # the shaft was older than that. He said that he was 100% confident it was legit.
    Posted:
    that's good to know. Thanks for the fact checking. SO in the end checking CPM may be the only way to really know.

..and then one day the counterfeiters will have reproduced the CPMs too.
    Posted:
    Many Byron Putters
    Scratch Don Whites
    Scratch Jeff McCoys
    WITB Link
  • dcrsxdcrsx Members  528WRX Points: 1Posts: 528 Bunkers
    MRC has more than one manufacturing site (Japan and China). So its possible that the different plants have different equipment for serializing in different plants.
    Posted:
    Hmm, seems like we've been talking about laser etching here for over a year, so not sure I believe that. Also, I have bought a fake here from an authorized seller, though he didn't market himself as such. How do I know he's an authorized seller? Because I ended up on his stores mailing list shortly after buying the fake shaft, and his store IS an authorized retailer (or at least that's what his website says). I suspect some guys take in old shafts and replace them with new, REAL ones, then turnaround and sell the fakes to unsuspecting clients.

On the painted tip, a fake will usually have paint runoff onto the tip. A real one will not.
    Posted:
    WITB Link

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.