2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

v harness vs tour striker?

onebelow

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think there are learning aids that force you into a position, and aids that teach you to move dynamically into a position. I prefer the latter by a wide margin. The TourStriker flat out works. Start with the TourStriker wedge, teaching yourself proper impact alignments with little chip shots, then work your way up to the TourStriker Pro for full shots. For extra credit, combine it with the PureBallStriker to learn about lag pressure.

Kevin

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

+1

Personally I have never been a fan of training aids as they seem to typically do more harm than good. In my opinion, with good instruction there are plenty of drills out there to dynamically improve whatever facet of your golf game you wish to improve. That said, the Tour Striker and Pure Ball Striker have made it into my bag. The TS doesn't make you swing the club a certain way, yet it tests your impact position which is essentially the by product of everything you did beforehand in your swing (setup, takeaway, downswing, etc.).

The best training aids are the one's where you make your usual swinging motion and the device gives you feedback on whether you did something you are working on correctly. These types of aids facilitate learning and are very worthwhile. Tour Striker, Pure Ball Striker, and the Swingyde are excellent examples.

Training aids that force you into positions or limit your ability to obtain feed back are less helpful and do not promote learning. I would classify the V Harness in that category.

Tour Striker is the best training aid. You can hit ball with it. It's just a golf club, it doesn't force you to do anything, you just have to hit golf ball well, so no cheat in the driving range now. it just make the range time much more efficient.

I tried so many training aids for last 2 years, this is simply the best one. all golfers around me agree about it.

the v harness smacks of the swing jacket which i had no use for. for years guys working on connection were just making swings with towels or gloves under their arms, i fail to see what the v harness does that a couple of towels stuck under your arms doesnt do. as far as the tour striker it looks good on tv, but i wonder if in the wrong hands people could get the club in a drastically open position at impact trying to get their hands too far in front of the clubhead at impact. in any case im much more of a fan of lessons and the driving range with a big bucket of balls than i am of training aids, although many have merit depending on what your are working on.

looked into the v harness for practice in net at home. I've got everything under the sun as far as training aids...but I'd go with the tour striker. I'm not so self conscious that I won't drag a small training aid out the range...but the v harness at the range?? Unless you're a stud ball striker, the snickers at my v harness would have me not concentrating on the ball. I'd want to turn and fire balls at the people laughing. lol. probably would shank it and look even more like a fool, but I'd feel better inside. in closing, my vote goes to the tour striker.

[quote name='onebelow' timestamp='1283508158' post='2677029']
anyone uses these training aides???

anyone using both???
[/quote]

I have both, but I just got the Vharness via courier a couple of days ago. I suggest you not take anyone's comments too seriously about the Vharness unless they have actually tried it. I have. It is a first class training device for maintaining "the triangle" in your swing and ensuring proper width in your backswing. I got it because I trust Rocco Mediate as being someone who won't put his name to anything unless it works, and works very well. Rocco has always told it the way it is. When he said the Vharness was the best training aid he had seen in 26 years, well, that got my attention. I will say the feeling and sense of connection you get from swinging a golf club connected to the Vharness is second to none. Probably the closest if you want to simulate the feeling is take your driver, really choke up on the grip and put the end of the shaft in your navel, and swing slowly with the "triangle" you have just created. But the Vharness does this much more effectively, and you can easily change clubs and swing your driver to lob wedge with it in a few seconds.

I also have the Tourstriker and it is an excellent training aid for getting the hands in front of the ball at impact. Once you learn how to hit it consistently your iron shots will be significantly improved. Its a great tool for getting the "Bobby Clampett deepest part of the divot 4" in front of the ball at impact". The only other way to achieve this that I know of other than the Tourstriker is to draw a line in a sand bunker to simulate the position of the ball, and swing away along the line so the divot just starts at the line and the deepest part is 4" forward of the line.

The other training aid that I have that I highly recommend is the Pure Ball Striker which to me is awesome for getting the feeling of the pressure needed on the pad at the base of the index finger during the golf swing. I lost mine after only two weeks, and have ordered a couple more which hopefully will arrive in another month or so.

I suppose a great drill might be to put the Tourstriker into the Vharness while applying the Pure Ball Striker to the grip of the Tourstriker. I plan to do this when the new PBS arrive. This might be overkill, but then again, possibly this might come close to being the ultimate swing trainer.

The muscles in the middle of my back are a bit sore from swinging for 10 minutes with the Vharness today in my backyard. Clearly I am using golf swing muscles I have never used, and I view this as a very good thing. If you get the 09 model as I did, its only $99 and once you adjust it for your size, works just as well as the $199 newer model. If you are concerned more about how it looks on the range vrs. your improvement in golf, you can swing it in your backyard or even indoors with a short club (so you don't hit the ceiling). I don't think you need to hit balls with the Vharness if you don't want to in order to benefit from it. For me it was obvious after a couple of swings that I was collapsing my hands on the backswing, and also not "maintaining the triangle" to impact as the cords became slack. Mind you I've only been using it for two days, and I hope to report back after a more extensive period of working with it. But so far I would give it an A+. I have no commercial interest in it, or any training aid whatsoever.

i had something that went around my forearms that promotes keeping the arms in the correct position. also, i used a golf glove with a plate in it to promote a straight wrist at impact. however, the problem with these types of aids is they use straps and plates to force you in the correct position. it is a problem because when you take off the teaching aid, you body goes back to the position it was before. i think the best training aids are the ones that teach you muscle memory and teach you to manipulate your golf swing with your own power to training aid . so, my vote is for the tour striker.

• 3 months later...

Over the years I have been a sucker for training aids, and they usually end up in the closet about a month after I buy them. I bought the Vharness this summer and still use it on a regular basis. As one who suffers from paralysis from analysis maybe this tool works for me because I don't have to think about anything except keeping the cords taught. It gave me a different feel than I was use to, and it's easy to replicate the feel. It has helped me learn to widen my backswing and "hold" my follow-through. I can't argue that a towel under the arm should help learn the same thing (I've tried that in the past), but it just doesn't give me the same feel as the Vharness.

Can you hit bad shots in the Vharness? Absolutely. But you get instant feedback through the cords as to where the swing broke down. (Usually at the top of the backswing in my case) The other time I get into hitting bad shots is when I start adding additional swing thoughts to keeping the cords taught. KISS. Also, I've found you can get the cords too tight, especially with the short irons. I have access to a simulator and I know from the data I have improved my swing path consistency, and increased my club head speed because I have a wider arc. So yes, I'm happy with the purchase.

The simulator has also shown me my ball speed/hit factor/smash factor is sad and pathetic compared to the pros. I'm not expecting to be able to hit at the smash factor of the pros, but I sure would like to improve it. I clearly need to learn how to better to compress the ball, and that is why I've ordered a couple of TS clubs (suppose to arrive tomorrow). I'm pretty confident I won't be putting those in the closet within a month either.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='happyroman' timestamp='1283556184' post='2678166']
The best training aids are the one's where you make your usual swinging motion and the device gives you feedback on whether you did something you are working on correctly. These types of aids facilitate learning and are very worthwhile. Tour Striker, Pure Ball Striker, and the Swingyde are excellent examples.

Training aids that force you into positions or limit your ability to obtain feed back are less helpful and do not promote learning. I would classify the V Harness in that category.
[/quote]

Believe it or not the vharness does not force you into a position, it is designed to make you not only see, but feel the proper positions, and accelerates the learning of what is correct by giving you immediate feedback while building the muscle memory required to achieve a consistent fundamentally sound golf swing. The hardest thing from a teaching perspective is to make a student feel what is correct.

[quote name='onebelow' timestamp='1283508158' post='2677029']

anyone using both???
[/quote]

I have been using the vharness with all levels from beginner to pga pro's with great success. The company offers models starting at 99.99 and a 30 day money back guarantee. Not a lot of money with a great reward upside.

• 4 years later...

anyone using both???

I would say all training aids work for 1 week or so..long term lesson with a Pro sticks forever...Make a year worth of commitment with a pro..it will all areas of the game..at least working for me..my teaching pro corrected my slice into draw in 3 session..It took me 2 sessions and countless drills to understand good a backswing and connection...My vote is for Lessons (long term)

Believe it or not the vharness does not force you into a position, it is designed to make you not only see, but feel the proper positions, and accelerates the learning of what is correct by giving you immediate feedback while building the muscle memory required to achieve a consistent fundamentally sound golf swing. The hardest thing from a teaching perspective is to make a student feel what is correct.

Muscle have no memory..

Muscle have no memory..

Sure but does saying develops neural pathways really make it any clearer?