different spine tilt for different clubs

decent results
This is pretty basic but I don't think that I have seen much posted on it.

I have started to concioulsly set my spine tilt differently for different length clubs to achieve different approach angles.
I probably did this without thinking before but I would occasionally hit a driver steep or an iron shallow and so I stumbled onto
this. Some of this is automatic as the spine seems to tilt less as I narrow my stance for shorter clubs.

It's pretty good. Most tilt for the driver, less but definite tilt for hybrids and less and less as the clubs get shorter.

The best improvement is in my mid irons. Hitting steeper on a 7 and a little shallower but still decending on a 5. Less thin shots
with short irons.

As the downswing starts, I try to maintain this tilt through the shot and then staighten out after impact. I'm sure that the tilt
increase a little as I make the initial move to the target so I try to factor this in pre shot without thinking about it.

Anyone else do this? More importantly, anyone do this and have good results and then have problems from it?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have started to concioulsly set my spine tilt differently for different length clubs to achieve different approach angles.

I probably did this without thinking before but I would occasionally hit a driver steep or an iron shallow and so I stumbled onto

this. Some of this is automatic as the spine seems to tilt less as I narrow my stance for shorter clubs.

It's pretty good. Most tilt for the driver, less but definite tilt for hybrids and less and less as the clubs get shorter.

The best improvement is in my mid irons. Hitting steeper on a 7 and a little shallower but still decending on a 5. Less thin shots

with short irons.

As the downswing starts, I try to maintain this tilt through the shot and then staighten out after impact. I'm sure that the tilt

increase a little as I make the initial move to the target so I try to factor this in pre shot without thinking about it.

Anyone else do this? More importantly, anyone do this and have good results and then have problems from it?

I think you are on the right path - here is my suggestion though - it will be near impossible to adjust your spine and feel it consistently based on the clubs you play. There are 2 tilts in the golf swing. 1 is the forward tilt (front to back like when you take a bow) and the 2nd is the spine tilt away from the target. If you take a pw, 8 iron and 4 iron and hold them all together in a sort of "fan" - you will notice that when your hands are at the same point - the lengths of the clubs are progressively longer...so technically speaking you have a different ball position for each club.

IMHO those spine positions are too hard to feel.

Here is what I learned in order to be consistent with ball striking (and it will do what you have just learned...but more naturally and it will be consistent no matter what clubs you use). :-)

My suggestion to get keys to consistency is to keep the same ball position relative to the left heel (but vary the distance to the clubhead based on the club length); and the same hand position (around the front left crease of your pants). However - vary the width of your stance of your right foot.

It sounds complicated but isn't - and the effects on your swing will be profoundly easier.

1) set clubhead behind the ball and aim it straight.

2) set your left foot first about 3-4 inches to the left of the ball (or another way to look at it - make sure the ball is 3-4 inches inside your left heel). IMHO (and according to people like Greg Norman) your fulcrum or low point of your swing is your left shoulder - and it will not change - no matter what club you hit. Therefore you should be placing the ball right before the low point in your swing. Clear as mud...right? :-)

3) Set your FIRST hand position - so the shaft is slightly ahead of the ball and your hands are somewhere b/t "just to the left of your zipper" and your left thigh - you have to experiment to figure out exactly where...but be consistent. Set your 2nd hand position - about 1 fist distance b/t your zipper and the butt of the club or make sure your hands hang naturally over the tops of your shoes.

4) NOW set the right foot. I have about 3 right foot positions to keep it simple. For a wedge through 8 iron - my right foot is about 4 inches to the right of the ball...THE APPEARANCE IS THAT THE BALL IS IN THE CENTER. I widen my stance about 3 inches more (a shoe width or so) for 4-7 irons...the ball appears to be "slightly ahead of center"; and another foot width or so for woods and hybrids...so the appearance is "forward". My widest stance is for driver. What is interesting is that when you widen your stance - 2 things happen almost naturally - 1) your 2ndary spine tilt changes, and 2) your swing path shallows out.

Then just swing. :-)

It really isn't that complicated - but it will get you all the benefits of your new discovery...but it will get you in the position you want to be in - but much more consistently.

Hope this helps.

with short irons.

I think you are on the right path - here is my suggestion though - it will be near impossible to adjust your spine and feel it consistently based on the clubs you play. There are 2 tilts in the golf swing. 1 is the forward tilt (front to back like when you take a bow) and the 2nd is the spine tilt away from the target. If you take a pw, 8 iron and 4 iron and hold them all together in a sort of "fan" - you will notice that when your hands are at the same point - the lengths of the clubs are progressively longer...so technically speaking you have a different ball position for each club.

Here is what I learned in order to be consistent with ball striking (and it will do what you have just learned...but more naturally and it will be consistent no matter what clubs you use). :-)

My suggestion to get keys to consistency is to keep the same ball position relative to the left heel (but vary the distance to the clubhead based on the club length); and the same hand position (around the front left crease of your pants). However - vary the width of your stance of your right foot.

It sounds complicated but isn't - and the effects on your swing will be profoundly easier.

2) set your left foot first about 3-4 inches to the left of the ball (or another way to look at it - make sure the ball is 3-4 inches inside your left heel). IMHO (and according to people like Greg Norman) your fulcrum or low point of your swing is your left shoulder - and it will not change - no matter what club you hit. Therefore you should be placing the ball right before the low point in your swing. Clear as mud...right? :-)

3) Set your FIRST hand position - so the shaft is slightly ahead of the ball and your hands are somewhere b/t "just to the left of your zipper" and your left thigh - you have to experiment to figure out exactly where...but be consistent. Set your 2nd hand position - about 1 fist distance b/t your zipper and the butt of the club or make sure your hands hang naturally over the tops of your shoes.

4) NOW set the right foot. I have about 3 right foot positions to keep it simple. For a wedge through 8 iron - my right foot is about 4 inches to the right of the ball...THE APPEARANCE IS THAT THE BALL IS IN THE CENTER. I widen my stance about 3 inches more (a shoe width or so) for 4-7 irons...the ball appears to be "slightly ahead of center"; and another foot width or so for woods and hybrids...so the appearance is "forward". My widest stance is for driver. What is interesting is that when you widen your stance - 2 things happen almost naturally - 1) your 2ndary spine tilt changes, and 2) your swing path shallows out.

It really isn't that complicated - but it will get you all the benefits of your new discovery...but it will get you in the position you want to be in - but much more consistently.

Hope this helps.

I appreciate the detailed reply. Will work on this.

with short irons.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for that description. I am convinced that this is where most of my troubles start. I have one more question, how do you determine how close to stand to the ball? Obviously if you stand closer to the ball your spine angle will change to compensate, I notice it most when I am at the range and go from a 3 iron to a wedge, I tend to stand to far away and end up "reaching" a little too much and bang - thin laser shot that hits the green and screams over it by 20 yards.

Thanks for your help. Jeoe

Thanks for that description. I am convinced that this is where most of my troubles start. I have one more question, how do you determine how close to stand to the ball? Obviously if you stand closer to the ball your spine angle will change to compensate, I notice it most when I am at the range and go from a 3 iron to a wedge, I tend to stand to far away and end up "reaching" a little too much and bang - thin laser shot that hits the green and screams over it by 20 yards.

I've always taught that a "proper address position" is one where the arms, when you let go of the club (with each hand, one at a time), will hang loosely and not change position relative to the grip of the club. If you're standing too far away from the ball your arm will swing back towards your body, and if you are too close your arm will swing away from the grip toward the ball.

Does that make sense?

with short irons.

Hope this helps.

Try this -

Hope it helps...basically you let your arms hang naturally and bend your spine until you are able hold the club in the above positions....1) handle is in front of your left thigh and 2) your arms are hanging naturally and there is about 1 fist's worth of space from the butt of the club to your zipper on your pants.

You will naturally have to bend over more for a wedge, than a driver.

HOpe this helps.