Should I get a 4 Iron??

Kingface

This is my first post here. VERY informative stuff!!!!! I did try the search function but I couldn't seem to get anything to come up so excuse me if this has been asked before.

I am looking at getting new irons. I am a 13 HC and looking at getting down to single digits this Summer. I live in Maine....and am itching to get out!! I just tested out forged irons for the first time.....and I don't think I will EVER go back to cast. I tried out the Cobra S2 Forged and the Mizuno MX-300. Both were insanely nice. I went in thinking TM R9's or Callaway Diablo Edge.....NEVER thought about Mizz or Cobra.... Which is why we try them out and get fitted I guess!!

I went throught the complete fitting process but I really need to keep costs down. I am settled on the Mizzies...( Hit the Cobra further but I had better feel with the Mizz) but what I am wondering is if I should get a 4 iron. I have a new TM 4 hybrid Rescue and a TM 3 Hybrid. The course I belong to I rarely used my 4 iron last year (just got the hybrids this Winter). Should I bother getting a 4 iron to keep costs down or will I regret not getting one down the road? I have NEVER bought a set of irons that didn't include 3-PW so this is very odd for me I guess. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd order 5 - whatever. Then see how that goes. If you find you need the 4 iron then order it later on when cost also permit it :)

Welcome btw :)

Driver: M1 2016
Fairway: Jet Speed Tour
Hybrid: Adams Tour Proto 19˚
DI: Mizuno FliHi 18º
Irons: 714 AP2 4-PW
Wedges: Callaway Tour Grind 52˚ & 58˚
Putter: Spider CS Original

Hit the 4 iron and the 4H and see which one suits you best. Most poeple now say hybrid is the best thing ever, and I do have one (just got it, steel shafted at the 3 iron length) and it has a place. But sometimes you need to hit shots that In My Opinion an iron is better suited for.

Example, I blocked a drive the other day and ended up about 175 out by some trees and had to hit a low draw that landed at about 140 and ran up the rest of the way to the green. Took a 3 iron and played it back in my stance and took a half swing, and it did just what I needed it to. If I had used my 3H, I would have had to partially blade it to keep it down BC it launches so much higher. I dont need to have to partially blade a shot, I cant pull that off consistantly.

There are also other times when hitting into the wind that an iron will bore into the wind better than a hybrid.

it all boils down to what you need and want. I will tee off with a 3 iron if a need 220 and can live with some roll. I will tee off with a 3H if I want 225 and need to carry it most all of the way. If i need 200-210 and the ball is buried in the hay, a hybrid is a better choice.

Somedays the bag will get a 2iron thrown in too. Depends on the course

Good luck and welcome!!

Hi, I just went throught the same thing you talking aobut - I'm a 10 HC and hit my long irons ok, but hit the hybirb much better, so I don't need the 4 iron but was caught up in the old thinking of getting the entire set (re-sale etc) and realized so many people are getting away from 4 irons that re-sale wouldn't be a problem. I ordered the 5 thru wedge and save $100 and don't have a club laying around that I'll never use. If for some reason I ever want the 4 iron, with the internet it would now be so easy to find it.
On a different note I think you'll love the Mizuno MX 300 , I tested several clubs and my final list came down to the Ping i15 and Mizuno MX300. While I went with the Ping, either club would have been great. I grew up in Ping country (Phoenix) and have hit Ping so long just more comfortable.
Good luck! Mac

I wish you had time to first try and get comfortable with the distance gaps with the hybrids. If you find you have hybrids that can make any distance vs an iron, I'd simply eliminate that iron. Say you get a desired ball flight and the distances from your shortest hybrid rather than your longest iron, that'd help me omit that last long iron - but proficiency counts and not knowing is tough unless you use them in everyday, on-course conditions.

Thanks everyone for the replies. I have decided to get the clubs in a few months. This will give me time with my new hybrids so i can get a feel for the distance and if I think I will need the 4 or not. I really can't see myself getting one anyway. I hit these Mizzies 10 yards further than my current set so for most of my shots I used to hit with my 4 iron...I can probably get away with my 5 iron. Plus if I need a 4i...i can always order one later or find one on the Bay...

Hunyacka.... I live in the Western Foothills area (oxford, Norway Bethel area). i was just at Nonesuch this weekend!! It's a pretty solid course. I too couldn't believe they were open!! First one in the state I think. Its VERY brown but there was some roll in the fairways and the greens were suprisingly good. Didn't plug the ball all that much. The place I'm buying the clubs are a mile from the course actually. Not sure about Seth Wescott playing there. This past weekend he was in Sugarloaf all weekend 'celebrating' and showing off his new Bling.... :-). Actually met him not too long ago at his restaurant.....great place to eat and have a few after playing 18 at Sugarloaf and losing a dozen balls!! He seems like a real down to earth guy.