Titleist being Titleist

I went from a 983K to a 905S and I can honestly say that the 905 spinns way less and launches much lower. I know they are diff models and such but I gained 15 yards with my 905! I have converted a few TM guys into 905 afficianados just because it is so much longer for them. I am looking forward to the 905R just not to sure on the low profile... a deep faced 905R would be heaven!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i am a big titleist guy. i have played every one of their drivers since the 975d. it is something about the look of the head that i am so used to. i really can not look at too many other driver heads and be happy. for long time titleist guys who stray from their product, they soon return. i feel the 905 line is just a "carry on" line, meaning that , lets give the public something that looks new, to carry on sales. they have a loyal customer base, and every few years they produce a diamond that every one wants, like the k&e, then after that "carry on", until the next gem. personally ,drivers, are big business, they may look good, they may be full of technology, but it still has to be swung well. i think titleist is having trouble getting any more performance out of that pear head shape that so many of us titleist guys love. my opinion on the t&s are mixed. my 983e just feels better. i played a 905t and put the ball in play all day. it wasn't as long as my 983e but ther is a big shaft difference between a 761tb and a blue. always remember 10+ handicappers are the target market, that market needs to hit the ball straight. 90% of golfers don't know about feel, or spin, closed face or open face, they have no idea what part of the face they hit the ball on. but they do know that if somebody says a driver is awesome, they will buy one or try one.

p.s. i think that the lack of spin on the 905 line keeps these drivers out of the bags of high handicappers with limited swing speeds. also if the 905r is released will long time titleist guys be happy with the head shape?

the T and S are the biggest flops in Titleist history. They are selling so badly that Titleist is doing the unheard of move of taking them back from retailers at full credit (unheard of from Titleist, at least). A HUGE admission of failure and lack of sales punch. 

Dude where are you getting your data from have you been  :pimp: i have 2 friends that both own huge golf shops and have never heard of that every Titleist 905 that has come into there stores have been sold even some custom orders with shaft upgrades.

mcca

56024[/snapback]

I'd like to know where these shops are so we can send our stock to be sold. We have sold 12 G2's, 4 G5's, 4 R7's, 6 R5's, 5 Miz and even 5 FT3's and that is only in the last four months (we are a small muni course). We haven't sold any 905's. This year was the first time in a few years that I didn't have a Titleist driver in my bag. I tried the 905 and absolutely hated it. The ball came off with way to much spin no matter what shaft I put in it. So much for using the aluminum hosel to redistribute weight in the head. They should have just made a bigger version of the 983, which IMO was one of the best drivers in recent memory.

56424[/snapback]

Your reply speaks volumns as to what Titleist is about as a company: PLAYERS play Titleist. Forgive me if this doesn't come across right but what do really expect to sell more of at a muni, a Titleist club that is geared towards the single digit golfer, or a g2 that johnny with an 18 handicap thinks will straighten his slice out? Look at what the pros and the top ams or college kids are playing before you make a judgement on an entire line of clubs based on what sells at a muni.

The problem with the s and t not selling like the ping drivers is that the people who buy the ping driver look at a titleist and know that they can't hit it. At adress it looks like a serious players club that you need to be able to swing properly to put to good use - and that is exactly what it is.

57708[/snapback]

Yeah Ryan Moore looked at the Titleist rack of drivers and said "I am not good enough for these, so I'll order a Ping G2 and win the Am". Come on, I like both Ping clubs and Titleist clubs, but your taking too broad of strokes here.

Nick Price too, and the guy who just won the Nationwide Tour Championship!

Titleist Tsr2 9*

TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 16*

PXG 0317X Gen 4 20.5*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

The 905 series was poorly thought out from a marketing standpoint.  Let's take a look at the drivers prior:

975D - nobody will doubt this driver was the most revolutionary since the Big Bertha.

975J - a nice upgrade in size and sold pretty well IIRC

975JVS/LFE.  I don't think the LFE sold well and the JVS may have appealed to better players despite its draw bias.

983K/E - these things flew off the shelves.  Plasma welding, beta titanium, .83 COR.  I just upgraded from J to E.

905T/S - What's the point of this thing?  It's bigger?  Why not buy a Launcher?  Why not buy an R5/R7?

The 905 came at a time when the market was saturated with comparable performing drivers at much lower price points, but the club itself is poor.  When I had the D, I wanted to upgrade to the J.  When I had the J, I wanted to upgrade to the K/E.  Now that I have the E, I have no desire to upgrade to a 905.  None.

57099[/snapback]

I loved my 983 K and i love my 905T -the shaft in the T is the rombax in the K the 757 speeder. its the shaft (rombax) that i really like.

I have heard from a some people that play on the TarHeel tour that the Tour 905 heads are night and day compared to the retail heads. I could be wrong but I know our company has done pretty bad with the club. The reason it won't sell is because it is $400. Get the G2 for a $100 less. I did a launch monitor fitting with a really good high school player, he wanted to compare the 983 with the 905. Hit them the same. Its just bigger.

I was a loyal Titleist driver guy. I went from 975d-JVS-K

All at the time were a very positive club and I always bought the upgrade

and was happy. This year I demoed the Ping G2 and loved it and absolutely waited till the 905's came out. I hit both side by side the NV shaft and

liked both .the G2 a little more but my loyalty was with Titleist until I

figured I could save $100 with G2. I am very happy with the G2 and feel Titleist priced themselves out of this deal. I didnt care much for the feel of the 905 but would of bought it out of habit had it been equal in $$$ to the G2.

Taylormade M2 - 9.5*
Taylormade M4 - 16.5*
Callaway Steelhead III 21*
Callaway Apex Tour 4-A wedge 
Callaway Mack Daddy 56 & 60
Mcgregor Bobby Grace M5K (lh)