2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Golf Galaxy Club Fitting

carlo23

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It definitely will depend on your GG location. Some of their "certified fitters" know the real basics and that's being generous

Driver: Titleist TS3 w/ Diamana WB 
3 wood: Cobra F9 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
7 wood: Cobra F9 bent 2 degrees w/ Speeder 9.2 
4 iron: Srixon U65 w/ KBS Prototype 
5-PW Srixon 965’s w/Nunchuck’s
Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 raw
Putter:Odyssey R-Ball w/ stability shaft 

Also depends on what level of fitting you want. If you just want loft/lie, grip size, length and a basic flex assessment, all GG will be fine. But if you really want to dig into which model shaft is best for your ball flight with some in depth analysis, another fitter might be a better choice. But it really depends on who you're working with

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Rogue Silver 110x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 13*, Speeder 757x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 19*, Speeder 757x
Callaway Alpha 815h, 21*, Velyix Rome 988x
Apex 4-6/Apex Pro 7-PW, DGX100
Tour Grind 52/60, Odyssey Protype #3

Like everyone else has said, it all depends on the quality of your fitter. It would be best to have some knowledge on the fitting process before you go in so you can determine how knowledgable your fitter is.

If the fitting came with your clubs though, why not use it? But since you already have your sticks, the only useful information you will get will be loft and lie adjustments as any shaft or length change will be costly.

Whatever you do don't hit the irons you bought till AFTER the fitting. If you do have different specs they can order them that way from the manufacturer and you wont have to pay for any modifications. Once you hit them you own them and any modifications that need made will cost you extra. Hope that makes sense. At least that's how my local GG does it.

[quote name='Pace of Play' timestamp='1404603538' post='9643405']
I would have thought that theu would have fitted you before you bought them in case you needed to special order specs..
[/quote]
I believe this is a "follow-up" session.
I'm pretty sure Golfsmith does it, too. I think they said that within 30 days of purchasing my driver I could come back for a fitting and make sure everything was working out the way I wanted (plus they had the 30-day return if I wanted to trade it in for something else).

[quote name='Ricky Ross' timestamp='1404599290' post='9643143']
Whatever you do don't hit the irons you bought till AFTER the fitting. If you do have different specs they can order them that way from the manufacturer and you wont have to pay for any modifications. Once you hit them you own them and any modifications that need made will cost you extra. Hope that makes sense. At least that's how my local GG does it.
[/quote]

I tried to get it fitted when I bought them at the store. They specifically told me to play a few rounds first and then come back to get them fitted if I like them. And so far, I have never hit any irons better. Did they advise me wrong? It was even the manager that helped me.

[quote name='carlo23' timestamp='1404695357' post='9649007']
[/quote]

I tried to get it fitted when I bought them at the store. They specifically told me to play a few rounds first and then come back to get them fitted if I like them. And so far, I have never hit any irons better. Did they advise me wrong? It was even the manager that helped me.
[/quote]
Usually they will fit you in the store before you buy them. This way they can make sure you're getting what you need.
If you take clubs out of the store that aren't fit for you, you might compromise your swing to make up for the changes that need to be made in the club. The clubs should be adjusted, not the swing.

They'll have you hit on a lie board to see if you need them bent upright or flat. They'll figure out your carry distances to see what kind of irons specifically you need and also check the length. This would be the time they'll ask about how the grips feel to see if the standard size is right or if you need to go with midsize or something else.

[/quote]

[/quote]

They just want to sell what the had in stock and then charge you for what would have been free if you'd ordered the correctly fitted clubs in the first place

[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1404751921' post='9652445']
[/quote]

[/quote]

They just want to sell what the had in stock and then charge you for what would have been free if you'd ordered the correctly fitted clubs in the first place
[/quote]

Correct. Also sounds like they were being lazy and didn't want to do a fitting when you bought them.

[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1404751921' post='9652445'][quote name='carlo23' timestamp='1404695357' post='9649007']
[/quote]

[/quote]

They just want to sell what the had in stock and then charge you for what would have been free if you'd ordered the correctly fitted clubs in the first place[/quote]

What set did he buy? Do you know? Maybe they can't be custom ordered anymore.

Don't jump to conclusions maybe?

[quote name='Ajlepisto' timestamp='1404780799' post='9655993']
[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1404751921' post='9652445'][quote name='carlo23' timestamp='1404695357' post='9649007']
[/quote]

[/quote]

They just want to sell what the had in stock and then charge you for what would have been free if you'd ordered the correctly fitted clubs in the first place[/quote]

[/quote]

Taylormade rocketbladez. I guess they just wanted to sell them to me. I will still try to go back and get fitted since I paid for the fitting with purchase.

[/quote]

now you have to compare the closeout price of the old TM irons PLUS the cost of bending/lengthening/shortening/new grips....... vs just ordering a set you can get ordered to your specs....

now is that closeout set such a good deal after you spend all the extra money for the changes?

[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1404836527' post='9659861']

[/quote]

now you have to compare the closeout price of the old TM irons PLUS the cost of bending/lengthening/shortening/new grips....... vs just ordering a set you can get ordered to your specs....

now is that closeout set such a good deal after you spend all the extra money for the changes?
[/quote]

Yes.

Because a "new set" is in the $700+ range and the set he got is hundreds cheaper. Plus, when you custom order irons, if you want certain things, like nicer grips, there are upcharges. The only thing that is free is length and lie. Assuming he might not need length changed, then it would still be cost effective to buy them in store.

Again, more jumping.

Labor is usually discounted at 50% when you buy anything, too.

OP - I'm not saying this is the case...but my point is that people here will say a lot of things that aren't true because they're either angry about something, or misinformed. Give the guys at the shop a chance to impress you. If they fail to do so, then by all means you have something to be angry about...

But just like golf tips...don't rely on what people online tell you over what you experience firsthand.

[quote name='carlo23' timestamp='1404785411' post='9656631']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Taylormade rocketbladez. I guess they just wanted to sell them to me. I will still try to go back and get fitted since I paid for the fitting with purchase.
[/quote]

Are you an advantage club member? Fittings should be included in the price of the irons if you are. Make sure that you didn't have to pay extra, because basic fittings (length, lie, shaft flex) should be included. It says it here: http://www.golfgalaxy.com/fitting_services.aspx

If you paid for a fitting and they didn't spend significant time with you on the launch monitor to tweak your specs then you should be refunded for the fitting.

Buy, then fit? Whaa??

If they are working well as you say, and they did not fit you before the sale yet charged you for one, just ask for the cost of the fitting to be refunded. In fact, demand it. There's not going to be much they can do with a stock out of production set to make them more "customized." Anything too out of spec like the wrong length and they could make them into one heckuva mess if they start lopping down the length, etc.

[quote name='Ajlepisto' timestamp='1404847052' post='9661021']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes.

Because a "new set" is in the $700+ range and the set he got is hundreds cheaper. Plus, when you custom order irons, if you want certain things, like nicer grips, there are upcharges. The only thing that is free is length and lie. Assuming he might not need length changed, then it would still be cost effective to buy them in store.

Again, more jumping.

[size=5]Labor is usually discounted at 50% when you buy anything, too.[/size]

[/quote]

so looks like we're jumping together, glad to see we're both getting good use of that new jump to conclusions mat

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1404848010' post='9661127']
Buy, then fit? Whaa??

If they are working well as you say, and they did not fit you before the sale yet charged you for one, just ask for the cost of the fitting to be refunded. In fact, demand it. There's not going to be much they can do with a stock out of production set to make them more "customized." Anything too out of spec like the wrong length and they could make them into one heckuva mess if they start lopping down the length, etc.
[/quote]

can you even imagine the mess if they got the shaft flex (or type of shaft) wrong!

oh boy!

They were on sale and any purchase of irons came with a free fitting. I am going to call them and give them a shot.

I guess my original question was should I have then fit me or have one of the more reputable ones fit these clubs I just bought. I guess I was asking if it's normal to fit existing clubs you are using vs getting fitted for a brand new custom set.

[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1404854808' post='9661899'][quote name='Ajlepisto' timestamp='1404847052' post='9661021']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes.

Again, more jumping.

[size=5]Labor is usually discounted at 50% when you buy anything, too.[/size]

[/quote]

so looks like we're jumping together, glad to see we're both getting good use of that new jump to conclusions mat[/quote]

The difference is I outlined what my assumption was.

Nice contributions though. Very informative.

EDIT: I didn't see the bolded portion of your reply on my phone.

The labor reduction is not an assumption, it's more of an informed statement, being that I worked for GG for some period of time, and labor costs on purchased iron sets were discounted for people who needed additional work for irons that couldn't be custom ordered.

[quote name='carlo23' timestamp='1404858535' post='9662233']They were on sale and any purchase of irons came with a free fitting. I am going to call them and give them a shot.

I guess my original question was should I have then fit me or have one of the more reputable ones fit these clubs I just bought. I guess I was asking if it's normal to fit existing clubs you are using vs getting fitted for a brand new custom set.[/quote]

Well the fitting is uncluded and free...so my first point was just that you shoukd give them a chance and see what they say. You don't have to go with what they fit you at anyway.

Just as long as you weren't actually billed for a fitting on the receipt. If it says fitting it should be a 0 charge for it.

Yes?

[quote name='Ajlepisto' timestamp='1404859226' post='9662303']
[quote name='carlo23' timestamp='1404858535' post='9662233']They were on sale and any purchase of irons came with a free fitting. I am going to call them and give them a shot.

I guess my original question was should I have then fit me or have one of the more reputable ones fit these clubs I just bought. I guess I was asking if it's normal to fit existing clubs you are using vs getting fitted for a brand new custom set.[/quote]

Well the fitting is uncluded and free...so my first point was just that you shoukd give them a chance and see what they say. You don't have to go with what they fit you at anyway.

Just as long as you weren't actually billed for a fitting on the receipt. If it says fitting it should be a 0 charge for it.

Yes?
[/quote]

Yep. I gonna give them a shot. Thanks!

[quote name='carlo23' timestamp='1404858535' post='9662233']
They were on sale and any purchase of irons came with a free fitting. I am going to call them and give them a shot.

I guess my original question was should I have then fit me or have one of the more reputable ones fit these clubs I just bought. I guess I was asking if it's normal to fit existing clubs you are using vs getting fitted for a brand new custom set.
[/quote]

you can certainly have clubs fit after you bought them
within reason irons can be bent for lie angle
shafts can be shortened or lengthened after the grips are removed, changing the length will change swingweight also though

part of the issue is going to be who is doing the clubfitting, a good clubfitter is worth plenty of money, a bad one isn't worth it if they're paying you $200

a good fitter has a setup so you can hit balls with the different configurations and see what actually works for you and what the changes do to ballflight, if you go to get your free fitting and they basically just attack you with a tape measure instead of having you hit balls, just walk away.....

[quote name='harold baines' timestamp='1404855095' post='9661933']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1404848010' post='9661127']
Buy, then fit? Whaa??

[/quote]

can you even imagine the mess if they got the shaft flex (or type of shaft) wrong!

oh boy!
[/quote]
Just thinking of how the stock shafts in these are usually 85g. Start taking length off them or something and the swingweights could get fly swatter light in a hurry.
I'm sure they don't want to bend them either and risk breaking a head so that the out of production set has to be replaced.

My guess is they say they are totally fine at the "fitting."