2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

More consistency and less back strain with power?

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='LaggingBehind' timestamp='1412710948' post='10250693']
Frankly, I love to read so I bought the e-book from amazon without hesitation. Let me tell you, this is certainly to be the single greatest thing for my swing. I can understand why pros have read this book so many times. It demystifies the golf swing and lays a simple plan for achieving a powerful and repeatable swing. I was on the right path for certain areas, and way off on others, but now I feel confident that all I need to do is practice these fundamentals as they have been set before me.

I worked on the grip and the waggle before going to bed last night. The hands feel much more unified to each other and the shaft. The waggle is something I've stumbled upon from time to time by accident, and coincidentally I felt confident on the swings in which I used it. Now I know why I had that confidence, it comes from that feeling of hitting the ball solid before even beginning the backswing. Virtually knowing the result before performing the action, all from this mini-take away/practice swing.

My practice sessions will have much more direction to them from now on, and hopefully more productivity.

Thanks again Reasonability!

Regards,
LB
[/quote]

SO glad you are reading along with that book. There is a drill right in the middle of the book about getting the lower body in charge of the downswing. I actually warm up with that drill.... can't tell you how many tens of thousands of times I've used that one drill. Now I look about as much like Hogan as a man standing on his head - but that book paved the way for me to understand my own swing. Just tickled you have it in hand. You can go on to decided now how to practice, what to practice.... one day you can pick and chose if your swing is more single plane, two-planed, rotary, stack & tilted -- whatever way you chose to go with things from this day forward, things like setup, takeaway, transition, working the hips -- all of that "stuff" is now in your working knowledge versus just being a concept. You are the man LB.... welcome to being a true golfer!

Are you talking about the one where you check the angle of your back leg with a club as you practice the backswing? I'll need to try that one next time I practice.
I brought my kindle with me on the range today after work to practice what I've read through thus far. As I re-read certain passages I caught more each time.

In total I probably only hit about 20 balls in the hour I was there, but it was a great session. I bet I looked funny just waggling over the ball for what seemed like a couple minutes lol. The grip felt very foreign, as is expected, but I could feel the cohesiveness if I ignored the unease it produced. My hands are actually a bit stiff as I type this, I think that's a sign I worked out new muscles in my hands.

When I did finally swing I struggled, again, as expected. I shanked more than half the shots, so ~12/20 I guess.

But when I did get things right...
When I started the backswing with my arms, then shoulders, then finally hips and achieved that tension at the top. Then released that tension with my hips first and let my hands follow the natural order of things... Holy cow... I literally laughed out loud on the range out of joy. (fortunately most everyone had already left)

I used to believe I could compress the ball quite well, but I was wrong. TODAY I FELT COMPRESSION [b]AND[/b] DELOFTING OF THE CLUB. I've never hit a ball so effortless, with so much unadulterated power. It seemed the harder I fired my hips the better my contact was. My shanks came when I got too quick with my hands or didn't properly sequence the backswing. When that happened I felt the back strain I'm all too familiar with and the ball went no where.

When one of the range crew shouted " 10 minutes before closing" I was a little upset, but I could get a few more swings before time expired. By this point I had gained a bit of confidence and decided to pull out my 3 iron ( I had only planned to hit wedges today).
I skulled the first 3.
Re-calibrated my swing plane for the longer club.
Waggled until I could feel it.
Then took my arms back, leading to a full shoulder turn, which then started my hip rotation.
I got to the top and fired my hips, releasing the stored energy.
I let my hands follow their natural tendency, since their path has been predetermined...
And struck the sweetest iron I have ever hit in my life, I am still riding that high right now ( as you can probably tell from my long winded post haha).
I don't think the ball got more than 15 yards off the ground, but it was hit on the screws and just bored down range even with those dead balls.
That's the first time I felt compression AND delofting of a club.

If I wasn't hooked before, I certainly am now.

The drill is about taking half swings. My edition and printing is older - but I think you'll find it somewhere around page 72. (who knows how they carved it up page-wise for the Kindle - LOL. You move the handle and club right in front of the chest and initiate the downswing with the turning of the hips. He has you do this almost as though your hands play no role at all in the (half) swing. You have to have read everything leading up to it carefully and do it just exactly like he suggests. That's the drill I'm referring to. The more you read it and apply it the more it soaks into your soul!

What that teaches you is how to rotate and use the body with quiet hands. It also teaches you that the handle and hands actually can spend in incredible amount of time right in front of the sternum back and through. There is a little window at the top of the backswing where the hands and handle aren't right in front of the sternum -- but its only for that little segment and coming back down they soon reunite. Today's modern term for the mistake of letting the arms and hands get too busy in the backswing is "arm run-off". If you ever see a golfer who stands facing the ball - hips sort of locked and quiet while his hands and arms do all the work -- its pretty clear he never read Hogan's book.

But I still maintain its a roadmap for you, the next guy, and me....yet no two of us will swing it exactly the same way. Even he says in the book that it can and should be adapted to some measure based on the individual. For me, I can't quite squeeze the elbows together as though they were rope-wrapped. Mine are set something like he suggests although bound quite like that. That said, I never would have setup with the elbows pointed down to the hips were it not for that book. I look at a lot of swings and notice even the pros tend to point their elbows down toward the hips at address. Some more that others. His grip -- I see three knuckles in the lead hand. But - I didn't just make that change versus what he teaches for laughs. My plane is a little higher than his and I was a little shut at the top doing it his way...so I tweaked it. This is what I mean about it being a solid [u]basis[/u]. I [u]first[/u] did everything he said - word for word - over and over on every single page...no short cuts or taking parts of it for granted. But, with practice I did find little things that work better for me personally...as will you.

In about a month or so -- I will share another good book or two. Hogan was no fan of putting. Most golfers take up a sudden and renewed interest in putting as soon as they see their GIRs starting to climb. That's where I can make another suggestion or two... but for now its all about gaining confidence in the swing.

Hogan said most who followed his roadmap should be able to break 80. I'm not so sure that's quite true or not. Many (most) I know who can break 80 have read it. I can say that I know a few who have read it and never break 80. Maybe its a matter of dedication - not sure. Someone once ask him about putting and he suggested they just hit it closer to the pin - LOL. You will notice he doesn't talk short game in the book -- it just wasn't his "thing". But he would practice ball striking into the night. He was always seen practicing his ball striking and known by his competitors as the hardest working guy out there. Rarely seen on the putting green.

Ah, I understand now. Actually, that part of the swing is what I'm most uncomfortable with, specifically the first half of the backswing. I have a hard time keeping from turning my hips at the start, but that drill will probably give me the perspective I need. Keeping the elbows pointed in felt nice for me, I didn't try to hard and stopped when I felt tension on the inside of my elbows. I like how he explains its the inside muscles that do all the work, having that swing thought really made me feel tight, balanced, and explosive.

I have a greater appreciation for what you mean when you say use it as a solid basis. Right now, I can't apply my understanding of [b]my[/b] body to what [b]he[/b] does in the book simply because I don't truly understand the point of each minute detail. I believe that as I play with these techniques I'll gain that understanding though. So like you say, I'm going to start by adhering to his every word, then when the light bulb starts to flicker adopt some adjustments that work better for me.

I'll be ready for that putting suggestion, its certainly an area I lack in as well. It's funny Hogan wasn't a fan of the short game, he must have been very close to the pin to score as well as he did, haha!

Notes from todays session...

Objectives:
1. Get more comfortable with grip
2. Practice body swing drill
3. Keep hips from separating from shoulders on the downswing

So the grip felt a little better today, still wasn't sure about it though. As I hit more balls I began to notice the pressure point on the top knuckle of my left index. This was a mini-ureka moment for me. I also tried turning my right hand more counter-clockwise on the club (Is that a weaker or stronger grip?). These adjustments started to feel good, and I was striking the ball better for it.

The body 1/2 swing drill was difficult for me. I believe I was doing it wrong because I didn't set up exactly like I do when addressing a golf ball. I felt my hips starting the backswing and transitioning to the downsing before my shoulders could catch up. This caused a bit of pain, the same pain I feel when taking a full swing. It seems as though I have a tendency to swing too much with my hips, and don't synchronize my shoulders very well.

In order to work on this I tried the drill Tiger used when he was with Butch Harmon. This is where you take a full backswing, pause at the top, then finish the downswing. I hit a full bucket doing this drill because it felt like it addressed the root of the problem. I was able to synchronize my hips and shoulders on every swing when doing this. It actually RELIEVED the pain and stiffness I was feeling before starting the drill. This also allowed me to focus on the path of my takeaway and how it relates to the path of the downswing.

What I found is that I have been using too little secondary tilt, preventing me from taking the club far enough inside. My left shoulder needed to be a bit lower. I also widened my stance and bowed my knees in more. Then before practicing my waggle I bounced up and down in this position to feel my weight over the inside of my feet. I pointed my elbows to my hips at address. During the waggle, my left elbow pulled towards my left hip and my right forearm rotated counterclockwise.
This felt good.

With this set up, I was forced into a synchronized take away. I kept the butt of the club in front of my sternum as long as I could, which actually seemed to happen on its own. I rotated my shoulders in a fashion that pulled my hands as far inside as I could, all while maintaining my posture. It felt too far inside, but up to this point I was slicing the ball even though I was making great contact. One of those "feel is not real" moments.

My shoulders then rotated my hips, and it felt like they didn't rotate very far at all. Another "feel is not real" moment. But, at the top of the backswing all the tension I could ever want was sitting right there on the inside of my left leg, waiting to unload. In this position it is IMPOSSIBLE for my hips to take over and dominate the swing.

Then I fired the hips and let my hands work in-to-out as it related to the backswing. This produce a straight shot with gobs of compression and forward shaft lean. I could tell by my divots. They were shallow, long, and parallel to the target line. This grip seems to improve the shaft lean and lag significantly, without me even trying to do so.

I also managed to crack a few drives at the end today. I needed to set up a tad farther from the ball, since I hit the heel a few times (Come to think of it, I may have been doing this with my irons also). Once I backed off a bit, it was smoother sailing. I just hope I can repeat this next time. I'll review these notes and hopefully get the feel again.

Heres an update with 5i and driver at the end. My swing feels really good, no problems with my back here. I think i need to make sure I square my shoulders to the target line when hitting irons. Hit 2 drives at the end and they were as good as I can hope for.
Any comments/criticisms appreciated, thanks!
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kP1llJk0qS0&list=UU6fN_HmlucbctX7U4MH0wsg&index=1[/media]

Some swings -- like your first one -- clubface is really open (pointing EDIT: LEFT of your general alignment.

Most swings -- looks like a little too much forward press - and a very strong lead hand grip.

Best camera angles - about belt high and just a little farther back so that the entire swing motion (including the club) is viewed. This means I could be wrong about the above given the angle. And for down-the-line -- also belt high, also just back far enough to see the full motion of the club -- and pointing down the toe line.

I see the open clubface as well, I'm also not sure if thats just a camera angle trick. It didn't look open when I was swinging, but I could just be used to that when in fact it is.

Doesn't a strong grip promote the club to turn over more? I felt like with this new grip it was difficult my my hands to square at impact, it felt like they were staying open so I turned my lead hand more left on the club.

The video was a last minute effort to get some footage. I've been forgetting about it the last few times I go out to the range.

Ben Hogan is going to climb from the grave an shoot you!!! LOL.

Strong grips and weak grips are all individual and I suppose there are no hard and fast rules.... OK that's one way of looking at it.

Another way....

If you want to learn to work the ball (high, low, fade, draw) then you need to learn how to not cut off half your options by getting into a grip and posture that can only produce one result. Ideally (and you will have to decide if me, Ben, or some other voice in your mind brings the solution)... At the top, the trail forearm is under the shaft more or less vertically. The trail wrist is cupped -- as though a waiter's serving tray would spill the contents out toward the target line behind the ball. So the trail palm is not skyward nor is it flat. The lead wrist and arm are essentially flat. As seen down the line - the lead arm at the top passes through the same line that can be drawn between the shoulder blades. That line would also be at 90 degrees to the spine. (yes, we will get to forward press in a moment -- this part "unwinds" backward down to that part).

So there is this structure at the top of the arms and hands and the club -- the leading edge of the clubface should ideally be parallel to the lead forearm as seen at the top from down the line. If the clubface points skyward - the clubface is "shut" at the top. If the toe points to the ground at the top -- it is "open". So if your grip is correct -- you should be able to get to the top with that arm structure just as I mentioned it - with a square clubface. WHY? Because from right there you can just tweak the club in your grip at address (a little toe in or out), and tweak your alignment a little and you can work the ball. If you shut the clubface at the top -- you will have to manipulate your arm flow and hand actions -- all sorts of complicated things will be required to work the ball... or worse even try hitting it consistently and reasonably straight.

The grip can take a long time to get it just right. Its up to you -- but I would dump the tank getting it right. Just strengthening it for the sake of thinking that by itself squares it up at impact???? Your call -- I wouldn't go there. If the correct grip and structure at the top is working and there is still trouble with the ball flights - then that says there is an issue with PATH and that one can be rooted out by making sure you' re setting up well and turning around your two spine tilts -- and making sure you are transitioning well. If you look closely at your setup and grip compared to what you read in 5 Lessons --- you would see why Ben's ghost is going to haunt you in your sleep!

Forward press -- the butt end of the handle. If it sits over near your lead pants pocket at address then the shaft leans too far forward. You will tend to take a narrow backswing arc - your takeaway will be confusing and complicated as you search for taking it too far to the inside and or setting the wrists too early and snatching the club up in the air too quickly.

The butt end of the handle is "normally" between the zipper and lead thigh. Take a look at the setups of several pros and read what Hogan said one more time. Then look at where the handle is in your setup.

By virtue of ball placement -- the ball will be out in front of the lead heel for driver. This means there will be very little if any forward press since the butt end of the handle is sitting about where we said -- to near the lead (inner) thigh. BUT when the ball is in the middle of stance (like for a wedge) the handle being where it is -- causes a little more foreword press. You have a strong grip and a lot of forward press (the butt end of the club is WAY set toward the target.

Lets chalk this one up to the camera angle..... (sound fair?) Hogan forgives you LOL (this once).

Nice little visual of the arm structure at the top below.... if you imagined the club in this picture (you're looking at a drill actually called the clipboard drill) ... the leading edge of the clubface would be parallel to the lead arm. From here -- with a square clubface - ease everything back down to address (and easy does it on the forward press). There is your ideal grip. If you are struggling with the swing from doing this -- and things are really good at the top -- its your posture or path or something else that needs to be explored. That is assuming you want to be able to work the ball easily and not contort yourself and your swing in the process.

And frankly the lead arm in this pic isn't great -- because it doesn't quite run on a line right through the shoulders (notice how the lead arm is a little high? LOL Shame on Mr. Breed!)

I think I understand what you mean about the grip. If I can use a more neutral grip then I have more options to work the ball. I think My clubface is pointed skyward on the backswing but I haven't had a chance to grab a club to check. When I was doing the drill where you stop at the top of the backswing, I believe I noticed the club pointing up. At that time I had no idea what this meant though lol.

Heres something I noticed just yesterday when toying with my backswing while walking to and from work. If I set up at address with more cupping of my right wrist then I can get rid of the forward press. (similar to lefty McDowell). When I do this my takeaway then flattens out this cupping in my lead wrist and I end up with my trail wrist cupped and "spilling the drinks" toward the target line so to speak.
If I set up without this cupping in my write wrist then the opposite happens. I introduce a cup into my right wrist and the left wrist remains flat.
I find it funny how setting up in address with the position you want to achieve in the backswing can cause the exact opposite LOL.

Also, one thing I would like to try is to narrow my stance a bit but open my lead foot more. The wider stance helped to limit my hip movement on the back swing but I think it made it more difficult to square my shoulders to the target line. If I open my lead foot more with a narrower stance I think I can achieve the same limitation of hip movement while making it easier to square my shoulders.

Maybe Mr. Hogan won't haunt me in my sleep after all, Haha!
You the man Reasonability!

You're on the journey. Keep notes - grab a cheap closet mirror (provides immediate feedback while practicing). The grip -- I can tell you what I do personally - and will -- but I tend to think its one of those things each golfer needs to OWN. Stance width -- I used to call it the stance dilemma... I think its one of the hardest things to wrestle through on your own -- but like the grip you can and will find your ideal PROVIDED you keep on track with WHY it matters. NEVER lose that deep belief that there is a nexus between what you do in the grip and setup being FOR A REASON. (and now you know how I came up with my screen name).

The things which helped me tie the stance to the reasoning behind WHY it matters....

I noticed from Hogan to all the pro swings that face on -- there is an order to things. Feet (insteps) are at least as wide as the armpits and usually as wide as the should sockets. Knees inside the insteps. elbows inside the knees, the handle just to the target side of the zipper. The head site between the trail side knee and the hands. There is always at least a hint of the secondary tilt and I studied the subtleties of that one. And Hogan tells us to point the elbows down at the hips and the upper forearms (especially the lead arm) is connect to the outer front edges of the pecs.

Then... flip the golfer 90 degree and look at him down-the-line... his rear end is a counterbalance -- its back there more behind the heels than you think - and when the golfer TURNS around his spine that trail side hip actually inches back a little more which I found helps to get the lead shoulder moving downward in a way that gets the shoulders turning 90 degrees to the spine. Also looking down the line the more the handle lays close to the base knuckles of the lead hand the more acute the shaft/arm angle. The more the handle lays across the lifeline of the lead hand - the softer that angle as seen down the line. So your grip is intricately tethered to you stance then isn't it?

If you notice the pros full swings - there is a space between the knees at the finish pose with driver. (as seen face on). But put a wedge in their hands and the knees look like they touch. So that tells me I could "unwind" from the top and actually create a proper full swing stance width that's just right for club in hand.

This all tells me that that shaft/arm angle can be used to determine how far to be from the ball. It tells me there is a right and wrong ways to achieve that rear end counterbalance (need to avoid S-Posture and an overly rounded spine).

So... on YOUR journey there is a grip that produces a certain "neutral" position and structure at the top. There is a stance that keeps your hips back enough to avoid EE and such.

ITS ALL OUT THERE AWAITING YOU ON YOUR JOURNEY!!!!!

btw -- when you can spare a few bucks on some online lessons -- You realize Monte, TBO7.... there are lots of pros right here on WRX who could help you with all this, right?

I'm starting to see how all of the components of posture are interrelated and how dramatically it effects your swing.

[i]"Feet (insteps) are at least as wide as the armpits and usually as wide as the should sockets. Knees inside the insteps. elbows inside the knees, the handle just to the target side of the zipper. The head site between the trail side knee and the hands. There is always at least a hint of the secondary tilt and I studied the subtleties of that one.[/i]"

Excellent observation, the one that I can already feel making a huge difference is head between trail side knee and hands. I'm more balanced when I do this. Combining all of these things together for some mock swings is exciting. I feel like I'm doing things with more intent.

I may get lessons but I'm enjoying this learning process as it is, although I realize I would progress faster with lessons. You're help has been greatly appreciated Reasonability, but I don't want you to feel like you have to keep assisting me in my journey. You've done more than enough as is, but by that same token you're advice is always welcomed.

Cheers,
LB

I worked to weaken my grip to more neutral today. It felt very strange at first but I saw the benefits of doing it. I was able to apply my left hand under my right. Also, I could do the half swing drill which felt great. Oddly my grip was preventing me from doing it correctly. Its much easier to keep my elbows pointed in as well.
Another thing that helped was to straighten my right elbow entirely with the cup pointed skyward, sort of like that picture of Rory.

I played a quick 9 yesterday evening and had the best day of ball striking I've ever had. I shot 5 over but I missed 3 birdie putts within 5 feet. It was my short game and putting that killed me, but I've been working on ball striking so its not surprising.

I hit a few balls on the range before going out and did the glove under arm pit drill. It helped me to stay connected and keep my arms tucked. I was unable to stay connected at all when I had a strong grip, but I can do so much easier with a weaker grip. I think the reason I had such a strong grip is because I'm right hand dominant but I batted left handed in baseball, which is why I play golf left handed. My right hand was dominated the swing too much and my left was just along for the ride.

I started doing that half swing/arms connected drill as my pre-shot routine, my bad shots came when I failed to do it. Its amazing how often I find the center of the club face when doing that.

Also, I'm swinging more shallow than ever before. I hit a crisp 3i into the wind on a par 5 from the fairway without even taking a divot. I've never done that, I'm still a little unsure how I was able to find the center of the club face without taking a chunk of turf.

I hit a few good wedges too. I watched Tigers hands at address when hitting wedge and tried to do something similar. I kept my hands very close and swung exactly like the arms connected drill. From ~ 80 yards I choked down on a 52* and swung about 70% with all hips and hit a low, spinning dart to the pin. I missed the birdie of course lol.

So far I'm really happy with where my game is headed.

Cheers,
LB

Ok so I lost that swing and have regressed again. This game seems to almost tease you into thinking you have found something repeatable.

So stance width... I think I need to widen it up again (The dilemna haha!). I may just need a wider stance than what seems normal because of my physical proportions. When I use a slightly narrower stance, more "traditional" so to speak, I end up getting loose hip action without creating the proper tension. This = back pain.

Back to the grip, I may be overdoing the weakgrip. When laying off the club at the top I still have to force the supination to happen through impact. This should be a consequence of laying off the club right?? I end up doing some kind of flippy move that hurts my left elbow, although I hit the ball with a nice penetrating draw.
This may be because of a few reasons I believe:
1. Grip too weak
2. Left index to far separated in grip, pressure should be closer to base knuckle. Squeeze the V
2. Allowing right elbow to work out on the downswing instead of towards the left elbow.

[i]"For instance, when your grip is correct you will have the proper live tension in the muscles which run along the inside of the arms all the way to the armpit.

Hogan, Ben; Wind, Herbert Warren (2013-11-01). Ben Hogan’s Five Lessons: The Modern Fundamentals of Golf (Kindle Locations 507-508). . Kindle Edition."[/i]

It felt like I was using the outside muscles too much the last time I swung. Feel the inside muscles when doing the half swing drill.

I think I need to do the "stop at the top" drill some more, a lot more actually. When I get to the top, stop with right wrist still sightly cupped. Start the downswing with laying off the club and hips simultaneously. Use right foot tap for timing/rhythm and allow right knee to work towards the target. Upper part of arms should remain glued to torso the whole time, feel the chest squeeze against upper biceps.

Just some thoughts, any comments appreciated especially if I'm heading in the wrong direction with certain things.

That's a pretty athletic move you've got there LB!

There's nothing obvious that pops out of the video explaining your back problems. The only I can think of is how you maintain your forward tilt into the finish. It may be better for your back if you release all angles past impact. A finish with straighter head and flatter shoulders.

In any case you should take the signals from your body serious and try to change whatever is causing the stress. It can get serious enough to prevent you from golfing before you know it.

I think you hit it on the head with releasing the angles past impact. It's in the follow through where I feel the pain.

vlcsnap-2014-09-01-08h15m34s144_zps2c856169.png

This can't be good for my spine...

Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Hmmm, firstly I'm absolutely no expert, but I seem to recall seeing a video tutorial by Gary Player dealing with follow throughs, balance and injury prevention etc. Basically, he suggested walking after the ball right after you hit it, do as your talking shoulder comes through into your follow through, you simply step out after the ball along the target line. This has the effect of ensuring you stay dynamic as opposed to finishing in a static poise, and that this dynamism is all focused out along the target line.

More here golfteachingpro.net/drills-that-work/

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

LB. I'm new here and have no pretensions of being an expert on the golf swing. However, what I am experienced in is back pain that used to be caused by finishing my swing in a reverse "C" position. Your photo above is a perfect llustration of the reverse "C". Imho, this is not good for the lower back at all.

Horgand has posted a good tip from Gary Player, which may help you. For me, adopting a one plane swing helped remove much of the stress that I was placing on my lower back through impact/follow through.

[quote name='LaggingBehind' timestamp='1413851417' post='10322445']
Too many swing thoughts, I'm trying to fix everything at once. The most important thing I need to work on is staying connected. Work on the half swing drill and short pitches with wedges - irons.
Keeping my arms connected should be the ONLY swing thought for now...
[/quote]

[b]The great American amateur golfer Bob Jones said that when he was thinking of about three things during his swing he was playing poorly; but when he was thinking about two things he had a chance to shoot par; [/b]
[b]and when he was thinking of only one thing he figured he could win the tournament[/b].

[url="http://www.protourgolfcollege.com/news-blog/archives/09-2012"]http://www.protourgolfcollege.com/news-blog/archives/09-2012[/url]

To Mikah's point...

I often compare working on the swing to eating an elephant. You can only take it on one sandwich at a time. There are interrelationships to be sure. For example, you can fix your grip but if your plane is a mess -- you can't expect great results. Which is probably why so many of us try a different grip and decide it was a bad idea -- By itself it could in fact be a terrible idea. But when we listen to the ball flight "lawyers" we can begin to understand the interrelationships there and then go about eating the right sandwiches in the right order... Then a grip change makes sense.

Not everyone's budget can afford lessons with a good pro instructor... but that's what I have relied on my own instructors for MOST. I can accept actually playing a little worse for a while so long as I understand where its all heading....one sandwich at a time. Pieces eventually fall together if you can keep plowing through.

Thanks guys,
Its hard to eliminate swing thoughts in the midst of so much change, but I'm trying. I definitely was shooting worse for the past few weeks on average, but I think I'm getting comfortable with some things. The grip feels good, almost second nature.
My back no longer hurts after a round of golf, which is fantastic. I know what causes the pain for the most part and it still happens on a bad swing. I think the two most important things were eliminating the lateral slide and staying connected. I need to post a recent video to see where I'm at.

The main "sandwich" I'm eating right now (love that analogy lol) is keeping arms connected. I find it difficult to let the swing happen. I tend to fire my hips immediately from the top and spin out (especially with driver), or pull the handle and come over the top. There's a happy medium in there I have yet to find and keep. Its great when I get it right though, its just hard to find a feel that works consistently.