2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Advice on putting together a classic bag of clubs needed.

I would like to put together a set of playable clubs from the 60's to 70's. I have done a little research on irons and was considering a set of Wilson button backs from the early 70's. I also like the looks of the Ben Hoban Apex's from the same era. Also, I would like to get a set of woods from the same era and I have no idea what to even look for in a good set other than condition. I am not looking for collector clubs, as I will be playing these clubs sevearl times a year(at least the irons). I also have no idea where to start with wedges. For a putter I was thinking about an old Anser or a bullseye. Plus any advice about classic bags would be helpfull as well.

I currently play to a 15 handicap(the plan is to get to single digits by the end of this season, we will see how that goes, lol).

My current clubs are:

Driver: Ping G25 10.5 factory stiff

Fairway: Ping G25 4 Wood factory stiff

Hybrid: Ping G25 3 hybrid factory stiff

Irons: Mizuno MP 62 4-PW DG S300

Wedges: Titlest SM5 50, 54, 58 DG Wedge flex

Ping G25 10.5* Stock Stiff
Ping G25 4 Wood Stock Stiff
Ping G25 20* Hybrid Stock Stiff
Mizuno MP-52 4-6, MP-62 7-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM5 50/12/F, 54/14/F, 58/7/S
Ping Greyhawk TR

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You will find a a myriad of opinions on this forum. Lots of experience among us geezers. You will find as many opinions as there are geezers. But imo, the Staff Irons from that era are really good clubs and very playable. As for the wedges, the matching staff Dynapower PW and Sand Wedge are hard to beat. Just be sure the grips are usable.Since they are forged, you can easily adjust the lie and loft to fit you.
Both putters you mentioned are good.
It is hard to beat MacGregor, PowerBilt and Golfcraft when it comes to persimmon woods. You don't need to go back into the 1950's or earlier either. Woods from the 1960's or so are great clubs. Laminated woods From Mac, PB or Wilson Staff are also a possibility.
But as always, the clubs have to fit your eye and feel good. The good news is that you can buy a few assorted clubs at the thrift store barrel for a couple dollars apiece and take them for a test drive. Find what looks and feels right and then look for a set. Then take back the odd clubs and donate them back to the thrift store.
All the vintage stuff will look strange and extremely small, until you get used to them. Don't let that deter you.
Good luck and keep us up to speed on what you get and how the work.
Uncle Bob

I'll try this on. The Wilson and hogans are very different. Sole and turf interaction, total weight, Wilson is much heavier, and availability. As to cost you can get both on eBay for less than 1 of your modern wedges. buttons are few buy the first ones you see that are clean and all shafts match that is in your budget..Hogans from 73 to 78 apex are all basacially the same,pick one and go.once you get 'em find a shop to set loft and lie to your swing and play em..You will develop a preference! At that point the fellows here can be very helpful. We just need more info that you can't supply at this point. I know this is short and blunt, but your asking for a book and this is just not that big of a space. If you can get more knowledge on what you like, you can ask better questions and thereby get better answers. I really would like to help, I just need a little more from you.

There is indeed a book on these pages, several books worth in fact. Most contributors have a proven track record of knowledge and in many instances a serious playing record as well.

I found these pages very useful in developing my interest in Classic playables, what to buy and what to steer clear of. It does take a bit of perseverance and digging, but very well worthwhile.
Plus they are a great bunch of people, ready to share knowledge in detail.

Both Hogans and Wilsons are good choices. You don't need to sweat the issue of wedges separately, in that weaker lofts should mean a PW of around 50*, so you don't have a big gap to fill between PW and sand wedge. Wilson wedges are arguably the benchmark in that era, but Hogan SIs - especially the Special 56* - are also good.

Be careful with shafts. If you're getting Hogan Apex shafts - no. 3 is regular flex, 4 is stiff and 5 is X. If you're thinking about swapping shafts out, be aware that Hogan's will be pinned in the hosel, which can sometimes be a pain to remove. On the other hand, Wilsons of that era can have shafts threaded into the hosel, and seem to cause even more problems in removal. Wilson also, I believe, went through a period of making aluminium shafted clubs. I've not hit them - but they seem to be an acquired taste, and not one that was sufficiently widely acquired to catch on more widely. On the other hand, you should be able to find Wilsons with Dynamic shafts - which is basically the same shaft that you're already playing in your Mizunos - although you mind find that lengths are a half-inch shorter.

My advice is that, if you shop around, you should be able to find good vintage sets of irons for less money than a set of shafts to fit yourself - so I would tend to advocate buying and trying sets to find the shaft that fits, rather than trying to retrofit new shafts. £100 in total bought me 2 sets of Hogan Apex irons, 1 - E (PW), in regular and stiff respectively in very good playable condition to compare and contrast. For any sort of money, you should be able to find the clubs you like the look of with a matched set of shafts and no oddball replacements.

Also, I would not be tempted to bend these clubs to more modern lofts. Accept that your 7 iron is really the 8 or 9 iron that you're used to hitting, and console yourself that at the other end of the set you can now hit 2 and 3 irons up in the air. If you "modernise" your lofts, you are likely to create digger soles and some of those leading edges are going to be sharp to begin with.

Have fun. I have a set of Apex IIs that just scrape into the '70s and I don't think they give up anything in playability to more modern irons.

[size=3][color=#000000][background=transparent]Thanks for all of the replies everyone. From some of the research I have did here in the classic forums already I was aware of the pain of replacing the shafts if I had to. I am a former machinist so I have access to machines that would make it a little easier to replace if needed. That being said I would like to keep the shafts original. Grip wise at first I would keep them original as long as they are in good shape if not I would have no problem with putting some Lamkin Crosslines on them, as I am not too concerned about collectibility as much as playability. As far as loft and lies I wouldn't change the lofts I would just play a club or two higher than in my modern set, but would get the lies adjusted. [/background][/color]

[color=#000000][background=transparent]You guys definitely did help me out. I am going to start doing some research on the irons first since I would play them more than the woods. I will be looking into the swing weights of the various clubs from that era along with shafts compared to my Mizunos and go from there.[/background][/color]

[color=#000000][background=transparent]I will keep this thread updated with what I find out and what I decide to go with. I am also sure I will have many more questions as I do my research.[/background][/color][/size]

[color=#000000][size=3][background=transparent]First question, is there any good websites that has info on vintage clubs? I did a real quick search and really didn't find anything. I will look better later this evening when I have the time.[/background][/size][/color]

Ping G25 10.5* Stock Stiff
Ping G25 4 Wood Stock Stiff
Ping G25 20* Hybrid Stock Stiff
Mizuno MP-52 4-6, MP-62 7-PW, DG S300
Titleist SM5 50/12/F, 54/14/F, 58/7/S
Ping Greyhawk TR