2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Need help picking a course in San Antonio

Hoover98

I'll be in San Antonio, again, in two weeks and have been put in charge of setting up our round for Friday afternoon. Well, I obviously have very limited knowledge of the area except the 4 places I've played, 2 of which are out of the question. My uncle and I are of about the same ability and don't mind paying to play somewhere nice. My brother in law and my dad are high hcps. and will not care so much where we play. Here's what I've come up with.

La Cantera - I really like the Resort Course, so that would be where we'd play if we decided to pay the $140 fee. Two of our four players may have issue with that, so cost may be a limiting factor here. On the other hand, my uncle is more than likely to pick up the tab for all of us, but I don't want to assume, then have the situation where they are on the hook for $140. On the other hand, its just across I-10 from my sister's house. I've looked on EZLinks.com and they have some specials, but only a week out and I need to book for the 18th ASAP.

Sonterra CC - We have two players with reciprocal access, and this club has been mentioned. I have no idea what the guest fee will be but I have played the new course there and remember it being above average, but not great.

Hyatt Hill Country Golf Club - Never played there, but have heard good things about it. $90 deal on GolfQ, so if its up there with la Cantera it may be the better deal. If its not even close, I'd rather pay the extra $50.

Canyon Springs - Never played there. A friend of mine plays it a lot and says its a great layout, but conditions are hit and miss I've heard.

Silverhorn Golf Club - Never played it and don't know anything about it.

Quarry Golf Club - I've heard the holes in the quarry are awesome, but the course as a whole is only average and its kind of a letdown.

Pecan Valley - Played it when I was a kid and don't remember a thing about it. Problem is that its a hike from NW side of town.

I've also played Cordillera Ranch and Cedar Creek, but those two are not options for completely different reasons. Cordillera doesn't allow reciprocation and requires you to play with a member or one of the pros (plus, we already have 4). Cedar Creek is a really fun muni close to La Cantera, but with greens worse than Greatwood, its not an option for this trip.

Any reviews and/or suggestions would be of great help. :bigwhack:

SLDR 460 9.5* Oban Kyoshi White 65-05
SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x
SLDR TP 19* Motore Speeder 9.8HB
MR-23 CB US Spec 4-PW TC x1 soft stepped
Vokey SM 4 52*, TVD-K 56 & 60
Circa '62 No. 2 raw, ProV1x

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quarry was so/so from what I remember. I think Sonterra CC wasn't bad either. How far is the Bandit? Everyone always talks about it, but never played it.

I don't know about drive time to the Bandit, but I've heard good things about that place , too. I think its near New Braunfels. We're trying to keep it reasonably close to the NW side of town since thats where we're all going to be, plus we're playing in the afternoon so we don't want to be driving an hour to get back. What you said about the Quarry is exactly what I've heard over and over again.

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

I have not had a chance to play the Bandit yet, but I have heard good things about it and it is on my list of courses to play.

Anyway from NW San Antonio (1604 / I-10 area) to New Braunfels is only 30-45 minutes. It will be a little longer drive time during rush hour traffic, but you probably can avoid peak traffic times.

Callaway Epic Speed 10.5* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 6.0
Callaway Epic Speed 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke iM10 50 5.5

Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 4-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM8 50* F8, 54* S10, 58* D12
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

I live in the area and if you get a chance play the Bandit it is a really great course. Also the same company that owns the Bandit also has a course called the Golf Club of Texas. It is a very good course as well. Also I would recomend looking up River Crossing which is on the north west side of SA. Also Pecan Vally may be the best deal in San Antonio and it has alot of history to it as well. Just a few suggestions. Also remember most courses have just finished in the last two weeks sanding and punching the greens. Hope this helps

I'll be in San Antonio, again, in two weeks and have been put in charge of setting up our round for Friday afternoon. Well, I obviously have very limited knowledge of the area except the 4 places I've played, 2 of which are out of the question. My uncle and I are of about the same ability and don't mind paying to play somewhere nice. My brother in law and my dad are high hcps. and will not care so much where we play. Here's what I've come up with.

La Cantera - I really like the Resort Course, so that would be where we'd play if we decided to pay the $140 fee. Two of our four players may have issue with that, so cost may be a limiting factor here. On the other hand, my uncle is more than likely to pick up the tab for all of us, but I don't want to assume, then have the situation where they are on the hook for $140. On the other hand, its just across I-10 from my sister's house. I've looked on EZLinks.com and they have some specials, but only a week out and I need to book for the 18th ASAP.

Sonterra CC - We have two players with reciprocal access, and this club has been mentioned. I have no idea what the guest fee will be but I have played the new course there and remember it being above average, but not great.

Hyatt Hill Country Golf Club - Never played there, but have heard good things about it. $90 deal on GolfQ, so if its up there with la Cantera it may be the better deal. If its not even close, I'd rather pay the extra $50.

Canyon Springs - Never played there. A friend of mine plays it a lot and says its a great layout, but conditions are hit and miss I've heard.

Silverhorn Golf Club - Never played it and don't know anything about it.

Quarry Golf Club - I've heard the holes in the quarry are awesome, but the course as a whole is only average and its kind of a letdown.

Pecan Valley - Played it when I was a kid and don't remember a thing about it. Problem is that its a hike from NW side of town.

I've also played Cordillera Ranch and Cedar Creek, but those two are not options for completely different reasons. Cordillera doesn't allow reciprocation and requires you to play with a member or one of the pros (plus, we already have 4). Cedar Creek is a really fun muni close to La Cantera, but with greens worse than Greatwood, its not an option for this trip.

Any reviews and/or suggestions would be of great help. :bigwhack:

Ahhhh, finally a topic where I'm an expert. Since I've lived in SA most of my life, hopefully I'll be able to provide you with some good local information. Let me address all of your course options and my recommendations.

La Cantera - I played it this past Sunday and although the fairways are in great conditions, the greens are somewhat spotty. That's a shame considering all the rain we've had here latley but for $140, I think you can do better.

Sonterra CC - Only play the North course, don't play the South. It's usually in good shape but I haven't played it in a while so I can't speak to it's condition. However, It's your typical country club track with tight fairways and homes everywhere. If that doesn't bother you, it should be a good option>

Hyatt Hill Country - It has 27 holes and it's usually in good condition. I haven't played there in about 3 weeks. The fairways aren't usually as plush as La Cantera but their greens are usually in better condition and more consistent. Every bit as good as La Cantera so if you get a good deal, I'd go for it.

Canyon Springs - Good layout but it can range from goat track conditions to immaculate. Haven't played there in over a year because you never know what condition's you'll get. I'd stay away as you have better options.

Silverhorn - wonderful track. Usually in very good condition. Haven't played it lately becasue there are usually better deals out there but it will make you use every club in your bag. If you get a good rate, it's definitely worth considering.

Quarry - Very unique course. Very uneventful front 9 hole but the back 9 is spectacular. I haven't played there since November '06 but it's usually in good condition. Worth consideration for the right price. I really like the course but there are usually better prices for locals at other tracks.

Pecan Valley - Worst service of any golf course. Swore I'd never play it again and I haven't. Routinely would lose my tee times and charge more than they advertised so I haven't played ther in over 3-years. It's a shame too because they played the 1968 PGA championship there where Julius Boros outlasted Arnold Palmer. Good track layout but I can't speak to it's current conditions.

Cordillera Ranch - Never played it so can't help you/

Cedar Creek - It's a goat track. Stay away, stay very far away!

Also, I have to talk about a course that wasn't on your list.....The Republic. It was recently voted the best conditioned course in San Antonio. I played it as recently as 2 weeks ago and it's in fantastic shape. Green fees are as low as $40 depending on the day and time you want to play but it rarely gets over $75. A must try. I think it meeta all the criteria you're looking for.

Bandit - A little north of town (30 minutes) but a nice track. I played it last week and it's run by the same management company that run's the Republic. Good option but I wouldn't recommend the drive considering you have other options in town.

So, I think you're best options (in order) based on your criteria are Republic, Hyatt, Silverhorn & La Cantera.

Hope that helps!

Ping G430 Max 10.5° | Fujikura Speeder Evolution II 569
TaylorMade BRNR 13.5° | UST Mamiya ProForce 65

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus 18° | Mitsubishi Kai'li Red 65

Srixon ZX MKII 22° & 25° | Project X HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 70

Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL 6-GW | True Temper Dynamic Gold 95
Cleveland CBX2 54° & 58° | Rotex 90
PXG Battle Ready M16 Bat Attack

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

I live in the area and if you get a chance play the Bandit it is a really great course. Also the same company that owns the Bandit also has a course called the Golf Club of Texas. It is a very good course as well. Also I would recomend looking up River Crossing which is on the north west side of SA. Also Pecan Vally may be the best deal in San Antonio and it has alot of history to it as well. Just a few suggestions. Also remember most courses have just finished in the last two weeks sanding and punching the greens. Hope this helps

Actually, the Bandit, Republic & The Buckhorn are run by Foresight Golf. The Golf Club of Texas is run by the company that own Briggs Ranch. Not related to each other.

However, you're right snkstaff, River Crossing is usually in great shape and is an exceptional value and a very nice track. It's about 30 minutes north of SA.

Hoover98, I don't know if you have any connections to get on Briggs Ranch because it's super exclusive. However, if you do, it would top my list of courses.

Except you may have to mortgage your house to play there! :bigwhack:

"Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case." - Bobby Jones

Oh and one more that I actually like is Olympia Hills, service is iffy but I loved the layout. Tough SOB. I agree with schlebrock though and The Republic was the course I was thinking and not the Golf Club of Texas. Alot of good courses to choose from

Good call snkstaff on Olympia Hills but it's like Canyon Springs.......you never know what kind of conditions you're going to get.

It's a great layout but the conditions are hit or miss.

Also if you want to travel a hour out of San antonio check out Commanche Trace in Kerrville. Best semi private course I have ever played. Best greens in the Texas as far as I am concerned.

I've heard great things about that course but haven't made it out there yet. Definitely high on my list of courses to check out this year.

Hope we have'nt confused the #@$% out of you Hoover98 and good luck with your decision!

Well if you get a chance go. They are building a new nine out there and it looks to be exceptional. Overall the course is a thing beauty. Commanche is about as good as it gets. I think cost is still below $100 a man to play and I would rate it better than the Resort Course at La Cantera. Oh and Hoover if you get your club to recipricate maybe look into The Dominion as well

Yeah Briggs Ranch is very hard to get on. who owns that

Briggs is owned by a group of investors headed by Buddy Cook. Brian Cook, his son, is head professional. Bill Rogers is director of golf and captain of the club. Jody Grigsby, a lifelong friend of mine, is an assistant there.

I have played out there twice and cannot say enough great things about the members and staff. Absolutely the best service top to bottom I have experienced. Iced apples and eucalyptus towels anyone?

I am pretty sure that Golf Club of Texas was sold a few years ago. I don't think the two properties are related now.

Anyway, I'm heading back there in a couple weeks and cannot wait.

Rick, Silverhorn is a good destination for you guys. We played it as a group on a bachelor party a few years ago and from what I remember, it was a fun track.

Thanks for all of the info. Unless the others really want to play LaCantera (or someone decides to pick up the entire tab for all of us) I'll probably settle on Silverhorn or Hill Country.

Drew - Probably a stupid question, but do you think Briggs allows reciprocation? My uncle is a member at really nice club in Cary, NC (hosts the SAS tournament on the Champions Tour) and he's already offered to use that if needed. I'd jump at the chance if we could swing it. Have you played Cordillera Ranch? By FAR the best greens I've played on any course, anywhere. And they are bent if you can believe that. Flawless is an understatement. ProV1s on the range was a nice touch, too.

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

Thanks for all of the info. Unless the others really want to play LaCantera (or someone decides to pick up the entire tab for all of us) I'll probably settle on Silverhorn or Hill Country.

Drew - Probably a stupid question, but do you think Briggs allows reciprocation? My uncle is a member at really nice club in Cary, NC (hosts the SAS tournament on the Champions Tour) and he's already offered to use that if needed. I'd jump at the chance if we could swing it. Have you played Cordillera Ranch? By FAR the best greens I've played on any course, anywhere. And they are bent if you can believe that. Flawless is an understatement. ProV1s on the range was a nice touch, too.

I would bet that Briggs allows reciprocation. It never hurts to have his club call the guys there. If you do happen to get a deal done, I'll call Jody to let him know that you are a friend of mine.

I have heard great things about Cordillera from Anthony Rodriguez. Briggs has bent as well - nothing better than bent and zoysia.

• 3 weeks later...

We were all set to play at Briggs Ranch last Friday, but were told that they had just aerated the entire course, so we diecided to make other plans. We then had the opportunity to play Oak Hills CC and we were not disappointed. First class place and a fantastic layout. Some of the smallest greens you'll ever see and while they were a little thin in spots, they were true and fast. It has a good mix of long and short holes, and overall the course played longer than the 6700 or so yards from the back tees. There are some great par 3s out there, too. First time I've ever seen a course with par 3s on holes 9 and 18. Here's a tip - avoid the front left bunkers on 9 at all costs :rofl: . Its the kind of course that once we finished, we wanted to immediately go play it again because there are some spots you don't want to hit into that we were not aware of. Definitely a course that requires some local knowledge. Overall, we had a great time and I highly recommend the course should you get a chance to play there. :tongue:

SLDR TP 14* 'Ahina 70x

• 4 weeks later...

Hoover, man I overlooked you were coming into town. I am glad you enjoyed my home course of Oak Hills. Yes the greens are very small and quick. Nine and eighteen greens had some trouble growing in, but they are much better now! You should see the fairways now..WOW perfect, also the rough is up to 4 inches now, and you can lose a ball quick if your not careful. We had a meeting last week some nuckle head who was trimming the oak trees decided to right his truck by 2 greens and made indentions behind the green, yea with this being a member owned course we through a fit. If your ever back in town let me know and I would be happy to sponser you, guest rates are not bad, $110 primetime and $75 non primetime.

Once again, I am glad you enjoyed our course!