2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Re-Learning the Golf Grip

Back to Square One!
So, I've finally decided to do what I have been avoiding for many, many years - I'm re-learning the golf grip, right from square one.

When I first started golfing at age 4, I used a baseball grip (common for young kids starting out). Then one day, on the range, a kind old gentleman taught me how to grip the club with my thumb underneath my lower hand, aka the 10 finger grip. I've been using that one ever since. I've never really had a huge problem with my golf game until lately, so I've decided that now is the time to take the next step and move to the overlap. I had tried it in the past, but it never felt comfortable, so I always ditched it to go back to my old habits.

Yesterday's range session consisted of EVERY shot being hit with the overlap grip. I was not going to let myself take any swings without doing so. After a while, it started to feel a little bit more comfortable, and even more so by the end of the session.

One thing that I am noticing, is that the muscles between my pinky and ring finger on my left hand are quite sore, and I'm pretty sure that's just because they are not at all used to gripping the club in that fashion, and I'm hoping that will subside over the next week or two.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has undergone this type of grip transformation? How did it work for you?

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Reading your post you and I have a lot in common. Always used the 10 finger grip until recently when my accuracy fell apart. I promised myself that I would start from scratch and learn how to grip the club properly and the first session was awkward to say the least. After a few range sessions I noticed that my arms and hands were not my main concern anymore, but the weight on my feet, hip rotation and weight shift from back to front foot. I'm still getting used to a new grip, in fact I'm still torn between the overlap and interlock. My hands are average size, not the longest of fingers but either way I'm starting to see improvement in my game already. Good luck!

Well, I been playing for little over a year now. I would always use 10 finger grip. Then this year, I finally went out and got lessons from a pga pro. He told me to swing and said :" I see you have a 10 finger grip" I looked at him funny because I had no clue what he was talking about.

He changed my grip to overlapping. I play left handed so, my left pinky overlaps my index finger. He adjusted my hand position on the club, my stance and my posture. He put the ball in front of me between 2 clubs laying on the ground in the direction of the target and told me to hit it. I said:" No way in hell I will be able to hit that thing standing like this!" I hit that thing like I never did before.

Ever since then, that's what I use for my grip. I tinkered with bball grip and cross grip but it didn't work for me. Cross grip wouldn't feel natural to me and I felt like I didn't have a control over club and swing in general.

This saturday, I got lessons on my driver. I can't wait :drinks:

Reading your post you and I have a lot in common. Always used the 10 finger grip until recently when my accuracy fell apart. I promised myself that I would start from scratch and learn how to grip the club properly and the first session was awkward to say the least. After a few range sessions I noticed that my arms and hands were not my main concern anymore, but the weight on my feet, hip rotation and weight shift from back to front foot. I'm still getting used to a new grip, in fact I'm still torn between the overlap and interlock. My hands are average size, not the longest of fingers but either way I'm starting to see improvement in my game already. Good luck!

I echo that sentiment....we are indeed alike. I had my in-store pro take a look at my swing via his cameras, and man-oh-man was I surprised. First major problem was my outside-in swingpath, which was definitely the shocker. I had no idea my path was that bad. The second problem, very similar to yours, was my downswing. I have a tendency to sway forwards through the downswing...but that one I knew I was doing.

For now, my main focus is to get my swingpath back to an inside-out path. Once that is fixed, then it's onto my rotation.

As far as the grip, after a few range sessions and a couple rounds, I'm completely used to the Vardon overlap grip....so that much is good news :drinks: However, after probably about 10-12 years of playing without a glove, I have gone back to playing with one. When I had the 10 finger grip, holding onto the club was not an issue. With the vardon, I wasn't able to get the same amount of grip, so I had to go back to the glove in order to maintain control.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS w/Tensei Orange // Callaway Epic Flash 3W w/GD Tour AD IZ-7 // Adams Idea Pro a12 w/UST VTS //

Callaway X Forged 2018 5-PW w/PX Catalyst 100 // Callaway JAWS MD5 50* 54* 58* & Full Toe 64* w/PX Catalyst 80 // Odyssey O-Works #7 Tank 38"

I have been wrestling whether to swap to a Vardon grip from the interlocking grip. I am finding that I get a painful callous on the outside of the last knuckle on my right ring finger. I usually wear a grip but have gone through a stage of not wearing a grip also. Do you find that there is less rubbing with the overlap? Also with the Vardon grip should the right pinky actually touch the grip or rest in the valley made by left pointer and middle fingers?

With my instructor's help, I've gone to the grip taught in Hogan's 5 and my accuracy has never been better. There are key pressure points in the grip that I didn't understand for 20 years. RwF

$LEFTY$  

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10.5 w/ Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65S - Taylormade Stealth 2 3W HL w/ Fugi Ventus TR 6-S - Callaway Big Bertha Max 4H w/ Recoil 75 - Srixon Zx5 5i-PW w/ Recoil 95 - Titleist SM8 48 & 52 w/ Recoil 110 - Callaway JAWS 56 w/ Recoil 110 - Ping Tour-W 60 w/ Recoil 110 - Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 34 - Taylormade TP5X - PING Hoofer

I started out with the "baseball grip" about a year or so ago and now use the overlap grip. When I switched to the overlap I started out strong and then went stronger with the grip. After switching I could hit my irons and wedges a lot better (with the help of instruction) but with about several months of struggling with an occasional slice I was thinking about switching back. Depressed with golf in general I went to a new instructor who had me change my grip to neutral (with some other mechanics changes.) This had me hitting the ball straighter than ever and with a small draw.

On a side note, my hands get very sweaty on the golf course especially in the 90+ temperature here in Texas. I think this causes me to grip the club harder so as not to sling it out of my hand. I switched to the Winn G8 grips and I they stay in my hand with or without a glove. No more blisters and no more death grip which has also allowed me to release the club a lot better.

With my instructor's help, I've gone to the grip taught in Hogan's 5 and my accuracy has never been better. There are key pressure points in the grip that I didn't understand for 20 years. RwF

Over the past several months my right hand has crept under the grip thereby pointing the "V" towards my right shoulder or beyond! This caused me to be very inconsistent where I would have great shots and some shots that left me in shock. I surmise that the poor grip allowed my right arm to really manipulate the club.

I dusted off my copy of Hogan's 5 and move my right hand back over the top so the gap between my thumb and finger is pointing at my chin, per the Hogan. I kind of see the philosophy of taking away strength from the right hand/arm. I feel I cannot over manipulate the club on the backswing causing a lousy set at the top.

However, In doing so, it hardly feels like I've got a grip on the club with the right hand. (two fingers really) The grip is against the pads on the two middle fingers per the book.

Did your pro say support this grip and did he say that the right hand is only involving those two fingers for the most part? It feels weird only that I've not done this for a long time, but when I swing the club, it feels correct.