Getting back into the game: Shaft recommendation for Woods

R_Swanson

Hey guys... I have been reading the forum, so I get the gist of it. Its very hard, if not impossible to make shaft recommendations, even if I gave you all my swing data... which I dont have.

Heres the deal, and why I think this thread is actually a cool topic for you guys: You dont need to fit me. I dont care about the "best" shaft for me. Just recommend me something reasonable that has a following on the forum. What I am saying is: I'm more concerned with getting something decent with a stable resale value and trying different shafts as I get my swing back together and then eventually start getting time on a launch monitor to dial some things in.

Looking for something mid launch that doesn't play like a board but I can lean into when I'm swinging well.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's because what you are asking for is a completely subjective and you haven't given any specific references to translate that into actual shaft properties. e.g. what's boardy to you? And BTW, any problems that might arise when "leaning on a shaft" isn't coming from the shaft. It's coming from your reaction to the feel of the shaft. So there is no way for use to know what that point might be for you.

Second, weight is much more important then flex and we have no idea what a good shaft weight might be for you.

You don't have to go through a fitting to find what you're looking for but you do need to swing some shafts yourself. Forget the LM's and numbers, just go to a retail store and demo a bunch of shafts and only worry about how they feel. If something get's your attention, that's should be fine for what you're looking for. If you can't find anything that way, keep track of which shafts you tried and why each didn't work out for you (too heavy, too light, too soft, too firm, etc..) then with that information people here can at least have some chance of pointing you in a better direction.

Putting the feel aspects aside. Some mid launch shafts would be shafts like: the HZRDUS Red, EvenFlow Blue, Synergy Blue, Rogue Elite Blue, Elements Chrome, VTS, AD-DI, Diamana S+, Tensei CK Blue - just to name a few.

Shafts and "stable resale value" don't quite go hand in hand. Lose their value extremely quickly unless you're buying limited production shafts or the odd unicorn shaft that has staying power (e.g. AD DI).

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

There is no stable resale value for golf shafts.

Many of which had introduction price between $300 - $500 could be had for less than $50, brand new. So less for a pulled shaft.

Worst investment in any sports if you're concerned of the cost , it'll be the wrong hobby for you. Green fees will usually run way over than a nice set of golf clubs easily within one season if you play regularly.

To answer you question of trying out the different shafts, look for models that's 1-3 years old, you could pick up some new old stock rather cheap comparing to the trending ones.

Nothing wrong with the new old stock, many times it's the difference in the graphic on the coat of paint and the real difference between the new and the old is negligible to the general golfing public. Where one or two stroke will not mean winning a major or placed second on the leader board.

Lots of places sell the top notch golf shaft from yester-years far 10%-20% from the original retail price. You could have fun going through those and keep the pulls for fairway woods or tomato stick ( Tis the season ).

Thanks guys. Some background. I am just getting back into the game. I played competitively as a junior, but I have played very sporadically for ~15 yrs. I am a longer hitter, but I dont bomb it. I think you know what that means given some of the distances I have read about on this forum, lol.

Recently picked up a Rulz 70 in stiff for my 3W and a TP Motore F3 80 in S for my 5W (supposedly it was when the TP's were actual Motore's). Neither plays too stiff for me, but I wish TM hadn't tipped the Rulz an inch. I think it would play a little longer if the tip had a little bit more action.

This is one more thing. I am hesitant to buy TM driver shafts since they tip everything an inch. Any comments/thoughts on that logic?

Putting the feel aspects aside. Some mid launch shafts would be shafts like: the HZRDUS Red, EvenFlow Blue, Synergy Blue, Rogue Elite Blue, Elements Chrome, VTS, AD-DI, Diamana S+, Tensei CK Blue - just to name a few.

Thanks, these type of suggestions are what I am looking for. I realize its subjective but like everything that goes through yearly cycles like golf shafts, there are some products every year which are stand outs among the crowd. I need a starting point to do additional research and try things out.

Shafts and "stable resale value" don't quite go hand in hand. Lose their value extremely quickly unless you're buying limited production shafts or the odd unicorn shaft that has staying power (e.g. AD DI).

I was looking at an AD DI for a driver shaft, actually. I dont want something brand new, I want something a yr or two old that was well regarded and I can pick up used.

Worst investment in any sports if you're concerned of the cost , it'll be the wrong hobby for you. Green fees will usually run way over than a nice set of golf clubs easily within one season if you play regularly.

To answer you question of trying out the different shafts, look for models that's 1-3 years old, you could pick up some new old stock rather cheap comparing to the trending ones.

Nothing wrong with the new old stock, many times it's the difference in the graphic on the coat of paint and the real difference between the new and the old is negligible to the general golfing public. Where one or two stroke will not mean winning a major or placed second on the leader board.

Lots of places sell the top notch golf shaft from yester-years far 10%-20% from the original retail price. You could have fun going through those and keep the pulls for fairway woods or tomato stick ( Tis the season ).

I have played golf since I was ~10, I just took a long time off. I love golf equipment and have a few limited edition Scotty Camerons from back in the day... I just mention this to note that I am not new to golf equipment or spending money on clubs. I just dont feel the need to throw a bunch of money down the drain while I am playing around with different shaft options and getting my swing back.

I am looking for examples of shafts that are a yr or two old (or older) but had or have a following on here. I will do the rest of the research from there. :)

This is one more thing. I am hesitant to buy TM driver shafts since they tip everything an inch. Any comments/thoughts on that logic?

Well tipping should be a concern for buying any shaft that's not new and uncut but...

1) Yes it is a bit more of a concern for TM shafts, you should find out from the seller who installed the adapter before buying and stay away from factory installed adapters.

2) If it's the older r9/r11/r11s/RBZ adapter you'll be fine. They didn't start the tipping until the SLDR release.