2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Annika Sorenstam wins fifth straight MizunoClassic

Gxgolfer

By Stacy Solomon via TheSandtrap.com
Click for Article>>>Here

Neither wind nor rain nor intense competition could stop history from being made this weekend at the Mizuno Classic. Annika Sorenstam knew what was at stake if she won and put her blinders on to accomplish her goal.

Although the fierce competition from both Jennifer Rosales and Young Kim kept Annika on her toes, the Swede's final round rally secured her place in history on both the LPGA and PGA tours. With her fifth consecutive win Sorenstam passes legends Gene Sarazen, Walter Hagen and Tiger Woods as the only golfer to accomplish this feat.

"I am very, very happy. I had the chance to do something today that nobody else has done," said an ecstatic Sorenstam.

Sorenstam's footsteps were heard as early as round one as the Swede took solo second place just one stroke off the lead. South Korean Young Kim kept the pressure on with an incredible 63 with birdies on half of the golf course. Annika had birdied almost the whole front nine in round one…game on! At that time Jennifer Rosales was only three strokes out of the lead.

Round two was equally as exciting as Annika and Young Kim tied with 67's again leaving the Swede just one stroke back heading into the final round. Rosales' score of 65 inched her closer to the top of the leaderboard and left her within two strokes of capturing the crystal trophy.

An eagle at the par-5 6th started Annika's final ascent on Sunday. Five birdies on the back nine helped to give Sorenstam a bogey-free round of 64. Although Rosales had a superior round of 66 she could not catch Annika and settled for solo second place although she did have an entire bogey-free tournament!

"It is the first time in a tournament that I didn't make any bogeys, so that is unbelievable for me. I'm hitting the ball good and I'm just happy. I am proud of myself. I am very proud." said a joyful Rosales in spite of her loss. But sometimes it's not all about the win but the goals that you set for yourself.

Again everyone wound up chasing Sorenstam. But as Annika says, that is when her "adrenaline starts kicking in, on the back nine on Sunday, because that is when it matters." It's great when you realize what you need to do and can accomplish your goals. This is yet another reason why Annika is at the top of her game.

The $150,000 check and trophy were only part of the glory of the day. Annika is now revelling in the fact that she kicked it up a notch. "I was able to make birdies when I needed to, and that is really one of the reasons why I love this game so much."

Annika even passed her own record of four victories last year when she tied Laura Davies for that distinction. Mickey Wright's record still remains intact although Annika is also currently tied with her as the only golfer on the LPGA tour to win the same event five times. Unfortunately I don't think that record will hold. And soon there will be younger players gunning for Annika's records but for now Annika is the star of the LPGA.

So now we can consider the Swede a legend in her own time.

In all fairness this course must play to Annika's strengths. As Sorenstam stated, "I have a lot of confidence when I come here. I shoot so low under par here because I am making my putts. I know the greens very well here, and I can read the greens well."

I don't want to take anything away from Sorenstam's miraculous golfing ability even if she seems to know the Seta Golf Course and is comfortable with it. She has successfully defended five out of seven tournaments this season and will have yet another opportunity in two weeks at the ADT Championship.

Also on the leaderboard, Japanese fans were cheering JLPGA money leader Yuri Fudoh who started round one in a tie for 42nd place and rallied to third place on Sunday with a 64. With three birdies on 16, 17 and 18 Fudoh came on strong but that first round 71 kept her from achieving a win in her homeland. She did have only three bogeys in a three-day tournament and that is something to be proud of. My bet is that you'll see more of Yuri in 2006.

Not everyone fared as well as the world's best female golfer or those challenging her. Christina Kim tied for 42nd place. Although 1-under-par for the tournament Kim couldn't bring in the low numbers necessary to challenge the lead.

There were 63 other golfers who played golf under par this weekend. Natalie Gulbis stood alone in 64th position playing even golf for three straight rounds but posting a disappointing double-bogey on the par-4 15th hole on day three. For the past two weeks Natalie just couldn't get her game in gear where she could make a charge.

Although the Mitchell Company Tournament of Champions will be played out next week at the Magnolia Grove Golf Course in Alabama, all eyes will be focused on the season-ending ADT Championship so viewers can see Annika Sorenstam create another buzz before winter sets in and golf clubs are tucked away for a long winter's nap.

Pos Player Today Tot R1 R2 R3
1 Annika Sorenstam -8 -21 64 67 64
2 Jennifer Rosales -6 -18 67 65 66
T3 Yuri Fudoh -8 -16 71 65 64
T3 Sophie Gustafson -6 -16 67 67 66
T3 Young Kim -2 -16 63 67 70
T6 Meena Lee -6 -14 67 69 66
T6 Karine Icher -5 -14 71 64 67
T6 Jeong Jang -3 -14 66 67 69
9 Karrie Webb -1 -12 67 66 71
T10 Wendy Doolan -8 -11 70 71 64
T10 Ai Miyazato -6 -11 71 68 66
T10 Shi Hyun Ahn -4 -11 69 68 68
T10 Reilley Rankin -3 -11 69 67 69
T10 Shiho Ohyama -1 -11 65 69 71

"This article is republished with permission from The Sand Trap .com and
remains copyright © The Sand Trap .com. All rights and privileges reserved."

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic