2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Has anyone played the Golf Channel Amateur Tour?(Merged)

Franzie

In the DC area, I think the Players Series by golfstyles is a better bang for your buck.

Lincoln the Title sponsor dropped sponsorship, so there is no Player Series this year. But your right, it was the better value of the two.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it really worth the $199 plus entry fees to do this?

[size=3][b][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM M3 440 - MCA Tensei Pro Orange 60TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Rogue 15 - [/font][/color][color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]MCA Tensei Pro Orange 70TX[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]CALLAWAY Apex 20 - GD Tour AD DI Hybrid[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]TM P790 4-PW - Modus 120s[/font][/color]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]FOURTEEN RM Tour Issue 50, 54, 60 - Modus Black 125[/font][/color][/b][/size][b]
[color=#696969][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]SCOTTY CAMERON Custom Mid Slant 009 Tour[/font][/color][/b]
[b][size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]IG: dphatt[/font][/size][/b]

In my opinion, NO!!!! ...but seems like choices are limited. I did hear about another tour in the DC/MD area. If I find a link I'll post here for those in this area.

Vokey

That's too bad. Golf Channel Tour it is then I guess...

It certainly isn't the size and scope it used to be, but it was just annouced today that Golfstyles and Lincoln have come up with a very limited mini version of The Player Series. At least they picked 3 good venues. Given the relative cheap cost and venues, I'll definitely play them.

http://www.golfstylesonline.com/index.php?...ncoln-challenge

Vokey

ATL Golfer, I have seen that tour and it looks very interesting for the cities that it's near. However the Richmond scheudle isn't really feasable for the DC area. The closest course is abuot 2 hours from me (I'm about 30 minutes north of DC in a Maryland suburb) To add a 2 hour plus on top of a 4.5 to 5 hour round just isn't worth it in my book. Not to mention the the $40 or so in gas getting there. But thanks for the suggestion, hope you have good luck with it in Atlanta, maybe it'll come to Baltimore or DC next year.

Vokey

ATL Golfer, I have seen that tour and it looks very interesting for the cities that it's near. However the Richmond scheudle isn't really feasable for the DC area. The closest course is abuot 2 hours from me (I'm about 30 minutes north of DC in a Maryland suburb) To add a 2 hour plus on top of a 4.5 to 5 hour round just isn't worth it in my book. Not to mention the the $40 or so in gas getting there. But thanks for the suggestion, hope you have good luck with it in Atlanta, maybe it'll come to Baltimore or DC next year.

Yes, I am fortunate because for the Egolf tour, near me I have the Atlanta division, the Northeast Georgia division, and the Upstate South Carolina division. This gives me a choice to play a tournament if I desire, on about 75% of all weekends between February and September, if I choose, plus some weekday options. About 120 miles open highway is my personal limit although at least half of the tournaments are within a half hour to an hour drive for me. The course, the competition, and the weather will influence me on how far to drive.

In addition to these "national amateur tours" like TGC, there are independent amateur tours in many cities. While these may not have "national championships", then do offer great competition, and they tend to be less expensive because money doesn't nee to filter to some national entity like TCG. I know there are independent tours in Chicago & Pittsburg & Boston, and I'm sure they exist in many other regions as well...

In the DC area, I think the Players Series by golfstyles is a better bang for your buck.

Lincoln the Title sponsor dropped sponsorship, so there is no Player Series this year. But your right, it was the better value of the two.

Now how can YOU say that if you didn't compete in both ?????

I competed in both and BOTH had their good points and bad points !!!

Player Series was a well run golf tournament BUT there was alot of sandbagging that show its ugly head but they normally would rerate that person quick !!!

I will sorely miss this Series ! BUT I can say I was their LAST OVERALL SEASON CHAMPION !!!

The Golf Channel Amatuer Tour was OK but they had some guys that started in the wrong flights and were moved quickly ! I liked the flights but you still see guys sandbagging at certain tournaments so that they could stay in certain flights for the bigger regionals !!! The nice thing is that you could play in any tournament in any tour in the US and some are run much better than others !!! I played in the DC tour last year and it wasn't run as good as some other tours I played in !!

The national finals was a BIG CLUSTER F !!!! They let WAY too many people in the finals !!! 750 golfers over 4 courses and we didn't finish two of my rounds and had to come back in the morning real early !!!! It was run well but had way too many problems and was not worth the 695 dollars for 4 rounds of golf !!! IT plainly suc_ked and I will play in the GCAT this year but will not play in the National Finals !!!!!!

Well no I didn't play in both...I can say it based on talking to people who did play both and comparing the price of both. The higher greens fees each week for the GCAT was the deal breaker, I realize you get back some of that in way of credit for your performance. But in my case it just doesn't warrant the increased cost, if I'm going to pay $130 or so for a round, I'll go to courses such as Bulle Rock and just play casual rounds.

But it also seems you made a lot of my point in the thngs you pointed out.

Vokey

I think cost is definitely a factor. I think I'm pretty typical in that I'll pay between $40 and $60 for a weekend round of golf at a decent course, plus a small profit to whoever is organizing the tournament, plus something to the prize fund which I have a chance to recover if I play well. When the total gets close to $100, that is my personal limit. I could afford more but I don't see the value in it. The egolf tour where I play is usually in the $80 range total per tournament except for a few of the regional directors that are gouging people a bit and who are also poorly organized. The annual entry fee for egolf is $70 or $80.

I do have a problem with the golf channel tour where it is something like $199 to join plus most of the tournaments are $125 or more each. To me, I'll take that same money and play several recreational rounds for the price of one day on the GC tour.

ATL...MY point exactly!!! I'll keep an eye out on the etour if they expand into the DC/Baltimore area, I'll definitely give it a try.

Vokey

I think cost is definitely a factor. I think I'm pretty typical in that I'll pay between $40 and $60 for a weekend round of golf at a decent course, plus a small profit to whoever is organizing the tournament, plus something to the prize fund which I have a chance to recover if I play well. When the total gets close to $100, that is my personal limit. I could afford more but I don't see the value in it. The egolf tour where I play is usually in the $80 range total per tournament except for a few of the regional directors that are gouging people a bit and who are also poorly organized. The annual entry fee for egolf is $70 or $80.

I do have a problem with the golf channel tour where it is something like $199 to join plus most of the tournaments are $125 or more each. To me, I'll take that same money and play several recreational rounds for the price of one day on the GC tour.

Have you looked at the Golf Galaxy tour? I see they have a tour in Atlanta and their prices seem very reasonable compared to the Golf Channel tour.

"have you considered the golf galaxy tour"? ..................

Looking at the Golf Galaxy tour website, I see several problems. First, all events are two person team format, no individual competitions. Second, here it is second half of February and they still don't have the 2008 schedule posted even for the South. Third, I don't see much protection against sandbagging - heavy prize fund will encourage this yet no reference to handicaps or how they monitor who enters what flights.

ATL...MY point exactly!!! I'll keep an eye out on the etour if they expand into the DC/Baltimore area, I'll definitely DONATE !!!!

Don't you mean that ??? :coolpics:

HA HA!!!! Very Funny.....But probably true!!! Does anyone know if golf losses tax deductable?

Vokey

I'm pretty sure that the money you wager and lose can be offset against what you might win. That usually is only around $20 or $30 per tournament though, not the entire entry fee. But my experience is you should win some money every now and then also so I'd be very surprised if you did not come out ahead in the prize pool. Most people never report their winnings even though they are theoretically fully taxable. I think in Las Vegas they start withholding on you in amounts greater than a few thousand. For the most part, people win or lose only a few hundred in an entire season. Certainly less than a thousand, even for the big winners who are placing in their flight in most of the tournaments.

I am considering entering the Golf Channel's Amateur Tour as a fun way to meet new golf friends and compete. I am not planning to win anything, I just know that competition sharpens skills and it would be nice to play the variety of courses selected in my state (WA).

Has anyone entered or plan on joining the tour? I'd love to hear your thoughts on what this experience would be like.

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/core.aspx?page=35900

I just played in a golf channel event, it was ok. I play in the champ flight and as usual, there were only a few golfers and they weren't legit 3 or better handicaps. I played with a guy that shot 98, although he was a nice guy and played pretty fast. Besides me, only 1 other guy broke 80. The entry was $93 plus $7 for skins. I won my flight and got a $150 Dick's gift certificate and $33 in skins money. The tournament was run well especially for the 1st event of the tour. Pace of play was a little slow, 4somes that took 5 hours. They should let the better flights go off first to help the pace of play. The membership is way too high at $199. I probably won't join because of that.

Someone mentioned the Egolf Am Tour, I've played that one off and on for 3 years. It's a good tour, just lacks players for the championship flight. I won their tour championship a few years ago in Myrtle Beach. It has now moved to Hilton Head and is on a pretty good golf course.

Both of these tours are better if you live or can drive to a bigger city with more players. More players = more prize money. :)

I just played in a golf channel event, it was ok. I play in the champ flight and as usual, there were only a few golfers and they weren't legit 3 or better handicaps. I played with a guy that shot 98, although he was a nice guy and played pretty fast. Besides me, only 1 other guy broke 80. The entry was $93 plus $7 for skins. I won my flight and got a $150 Dick's gift certificate and $33 in skins money. The tournament was run well especially for the 1st event of the tour. Pace of play was a little slow, 4somes that took 5 hours. They should let the better flights go off first to help the pace of play. The membership is way too high at $199. I probably won't join because of that.

Someone mentioned the Egolf Am Tour, I've played that one off and on for 3 years. It's a good tour, just lacks players for the championship flight. I won their tour championship a few years ago in Myrtle Beach. It has now moved to Hilton Head and is on a pretty good golf course.

Both of these tours are better if you live or can drive to a bigger city with more players. More players = more prize money. :)

Where did you play in a Golf Channel event in NC recently? Their website shows the Raleigh and Charlotte tours do not start until early April.

• 3 weeks later...