2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Strong Grip, Too Strong?

matunejw

Single digit handicap here, I've struggled (especially with driver) for several years now. I have a strong tendency to lift my arms a lot and drop them inside. Big in to out path. When timing is right, no problem... timing off im hard left or block right.  Unplayable bad. 

In trying to resolve this for so long now, im contemplating how I grip the club.

I can see 4 knuckles on my left hand, and my right hand is more neutral (maybe a bit weak).... Ive started to think and believe that my instincts know the face wants to close hard bc of the strong left hand, and all of the lifting of the arms and dropping inside in transition is my only way to not hit it a mile left. I never truly release the hands through impact.

Has anyone encountered similar? and if so has a grip change to more neutral worked?

Post a swing.

Assuming you’re describing your grip accurately, the hard part about judging a grip from 2d video is that we can’t see the clubface very well at address. Most people think their clubface is perfectly square at addesss and it’s closed or open some amount. In isolation this is fine but it must match the grip. If you have a very strong grip, and the face is closed at address, it can become non functional and create major path issues in both directions. If you’re concerned about your grip, this is one small thing you can confirm. 

Quick grip strength test with a friend: put your grip on a mid-iron, then stand straight up and hold the club straight out from your waist parallel with the ground with the toe pointed straight up (clubface perpendicular to the ground). Your friend should then face you, wrap 3 fingers around the clubhead, and give it a quick yank away from you. If the face shuts down significantly, it indicates it will do the same thing under the forces of a swing and you’ll either need to a) hold off your release, or b) figure out how to get more shaft lean at impact.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, matunejw said:

Nice swing! Grip doesn’t look too strong to me. Doesn’t hurt to weaken it a bit and see what happens, but if you’re like me, a weaker grip leads to a higher chance of the snap hook as I “panic” on the way down and overclose it. 

Edited by GungHoGolf

18 minutes ago, GungHoGolf said:

Quick grip strength test with a friend: put your grip on a mid-iron, then stand straight up and hold the club straight out from your waist parallel with the ground with the toe pointed straight up (clubface perpendicular to the ground). Your friend should then face you, wrap 3 fingers around the clubhead, and give it a quick yank away from you. If the face shuts down significantly, it indicates it will do the same thing under the forces of a swing and you’ll either need to a) hold off your release, or b) figure out how to get more shaft lean at impact.

just tried this - club face closes hard - if toe up is 90 degrees its almost 45 degrees when tugged on.

As an experiment, you might try strengthening your left hand grip even more (while leaving your right hand where it is) and putting your right foot back a couple of inches (closing your stance). Your current grip looks, to me, like it can't quite make up its mind (strengthening it more would eliminate any doubt), and I think your right knee is in danger of being in the way of what you want to do (putting it back would solve that).

2 hours ago, MichaelGFox said:

you need to get back on your front side weight is way too far back at impact should be on your front foot after transition. i have this problem too feel like you really push into your left leg. ground work 

any helpful drills or feels for this? I agree with you wholeheartedly, I just feel like I dont have the time to get to lead side. perhaps im loading too much and for too long into trail side.

11 minutes ago, matunejw said:

any helpful drills or feels for this? I agree with you wholeheartedly, I just feel like I dont have the time to get to lead side. perhaps im loading too much and for too long into trail side.

honestly im not qualified to give any drills or specific tips. i just see your weight is really far back and youre pushing a bunch off back foot late - not shocked you go hard left block right but that being said you honestly have a great move in my opinion your turn looks great.

you could maybe try keeping your right heel planted through the follow through that usually helps me stay more centered and weight on my front foot

44 minutes ago, matunejw said:

You definitely do more of a hang back and with driver which IMO can be good for max distance but not necessarily for max accuracy. You lead hip is more inside or less stacked over your lead ankle at impact than someone like Rory. 

30 minutes ago, matunejw said:

can you see anything in my swing that would point to why I drop hands in such a pronounced way? I want to get rid of it but just can't seem to latch onto the right idea or feel.

Well the independent hand lowering is just part of your pattern and some really good players do it, they just maintain better structure to their arms while doing it. 

IMG_9981.jpeg.9001bf99f0246215d0974bb9fb4598d1.jpegIMG_9982.jpeg.999fca4a43600b8a8709c99e453cab2e.jpeg

You could try putting a ball between your forearms to help keep the structure from breaking down too much.