How to make changes to your Backswing?

calling on the experts
The title pretty much speaks for itself. I have been dealing with backswing issues for the past two years and I simply cannot get rid of them. I went to the range today and had someone record my swing with their camera and finally decided it's time to really bare down and do something about it.

I see an instructor about once a month and he's identified these issues and i work on them at my house and at the range but as time passes nothing changes in my backswing and i keep reverting back to my bad habits. I'm a 15 handicap and have the ability to go low 80's every couple rounds but usually my swing goes on me every now and then and I am almost positive it's because of my backswing issues.

I have a relatively flat backswing which doesn't bother me too much because it feels natural and comfortable . What really bothers me the most is the length of my backswing. I feel like I am taking the club all the way back but when i look at my video I'm taking it no more than halfway back and i know that's robbing me of distance. Flexibility isn't an issue because when i make practice swings i take the club parallel if not a little bit past. My instructor told me it's more of an issue of me getting anxious and wanting to get back to the ball and simply not completing my backswing. No matter what i do i simply can't get over this when i take a real swing. Another issue is my lack of wrist **** in my swing. I feel these problems combined are leaving yards on the table and contributing to my inconsistency.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting over these issues but more importantly how to effectively make changes to your backswing? I realistically go to the range only about 2 times a week but i like to work on positions at my house. I think if I have some kind of road map on how to work on this it would help out. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have somewhat the same problem as you. I can get my irons on plane and parallel at the top but for what ever reason, I just can't do it with my driver. It feels like I'm getting stuck with the driver and don't finish my backswing. If I stick a tee in the ground and make practice swings w/the driver, I can easily get it on plane and parallel at the top.

what are the issues that your instructor has identified... i also deal with a flat swing, but no problems with swing length. however, i recommend watching the tip on pgatour.com with adam scott and butch harmon on a flat swing with a driver.... it may cure your flat swing, as well as lengthen it. because if you can get into a better top position, the swing might elongate because of a higher set point. hope this helps

I used to have the EXACT same issue. nice full practice swing, then when I took a "real" swing, I got really quick and just had to get back to that ball as fast as possible.

there are a couple things you can do to help.

part of it is mental. . .and that has to do with this whole "real" swing idea. you need to get rid of this mental seperation between the practice swing and the reall swing. they should be exactly the same, right? so why do you have to go about them any differently? take a practice swing, visualize the result you want, then simply step over the ball and make the EXACT same swing. it sounds simple, bet we all know it isn't, so take it to the range first (your probably going to hit some of the worst shots you've ever hit, partly because it will be a new thought for you, and partly because for most of us the practice swing really shouldn't be just like our real swing).

Don't worry about where the ball goes. take aim and try to hit to a target, but just try to replicate your practice swing, and don't worry about the result of the swing you take.

Beyond the mental issue, there are also mechanical ways to get yourself to take a full swing. you have to hit the ball with the BIG muscles. often the issue when you don't take a full backswing isn't what's happening with your hands and arms, but rather, a lack of a full turn of the shoulders. when your on the range, concentrate on where your shoulders and hips are and the top of your backswing, instead of where the club is or where your arms are. if you make the same turn away from the target on every swing, its actually pretty hard to not take a full backswing.

Tour Tempo timer will help you a lot, i think.....basically you have to follow a series of beeps regarding when to start your backswing, start your downswing, and when impact will be. When you match your "desired" tempo (there are 3 to choose from, depending on your "natural" tempo), you'll be in line with something like 90% of pros....who all have amazingly similar tempos.

The poor man's way to do this is: as you start your backswing begin counting "one one-thousand"....and as you end that phrase begin the downswing saying "two one-thousand"...impact should be near the "o" of "two" and total followthrough at the end of the phrase. To sum up: say "one one-thousand, two one-thousand" in a fluid, relaxed way, and match your swing to that fluid relaxed tempo. Do it when you actually play....whenever I start spraying shots I can revert to this and it works quite well. YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BEGIN THE DOWNSWING UNTIL YOU FINISH SAYING "one-one-thousand"...and your body-chest-arms should be moving then entire time...no "pausing" to finish the phrase.

Just an idea....works great for me and has helped out a lot of friends I know.

There is no need to ever "think" about your backswing (or downswing).

The address position fundamentals (grip-posture-alignment) make a good swing naturally happen.

Learn and practice the address position.

The title pretty much speaks for itself. I have been dealing with backswing issues for the past two years and I simply cannot get rid of them. I went to the range today and had someone record my swing with their camera and finally decided it's time to really bare down and do something about it.

I see an instructor about once a month and he's identified these issues and i work on them at my house and at the range but as time passes nothing changes in my backswing and i keep reverting back to my bad habits. I'm a 15 handicap and have the ability to go low 80's every couple rounds but usually my swing goes on me every now and then and I am almost positive it's because of my backswing issues.

I have a relatively flat backswing which doesn't bother me too much because it feels natural and comfortable . What really bothers me the most is the length of my backswing. I feel like I am taking the club all the way back but when i look at my video I'm taking it no more than halfway back and i know that's robbing me of distance. Flexibility isn't an issue because when i make practice swings i take the club parallel if not a little bit past. My instructor told me it's more of an issue of me getting anxious and wanting to get back to the ball and simply not completing my backswing. No matter what i do i simply can't get over this when i take a real swing. Another issue is my lack of wrist **** in my swing. I feel these problems combined are leaving yards on the table and contributing to my inconsistency.

Does anyone have any suggestions on getting over these issues but more importantly how to effectively make changes to your backswing? I realistically go to the range only about 2 times a week but i like to work on positions at my house. I think if I have some kind of road map on how to work on this it would help out. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance.

Some great advice here guys. I have to admit a big problem is having way too many swing thoughts and i think too much before i pull the trigger. I pick a target out, align the clubface, get my body into position, waggle, take one last look at my target and then......freeze over the ball for at least 5 seconds and then start my swing. I'm aware of it but the weird part is that it's almost a mental block. I will tell myself over and over to just swing the club away and not think about it while i'm over the ball but i just lock up and freeze for a few seconds and i can't move until those 5 or 7 seconds have passed.

Two things that I think will help mate.

First of all, grip pressure. If your grip is nice and light it will allow you to complete a nice full turn in the back swing (and even allow for a little bit of that wrist **** you're looking for). When you stand over it and get nervous, chances are your starting to grip the club a little tighter as well.

Secondly, try hitting some shots just from the top of your backswing. Stand over the ball as you normally would but don't worry about taking the club back. Get yourself in the position that you should be in (and want to be in) at the top of your backswing and simply swing the club from there. It won't go very far because you haven't actively made the pivot and shoulder turn but you'll begin to get the feel for what it is you're trying to achieve.

If any of that doesn't make sense, let me know. Good luck.

The address position fundamentals (grip-posture-alignment) make a good swing naturally happen.

Wanna bet? i have seen wayy too many golfers with great setups who cant hit a golf ball to save their lives

WOW - is it really this easy for you? By this I'm not assuming that you are necessarily a scratch golfers. But do you really find changes to whatever swing mechanics you think need adjusting this easy? It most certainly isn't my experience - or the experience of any golfers that I have actually played with.

dave

That's actuallly very good advice. I know the OP was addressing a different idea, but sometimes it does come down to fundamentals like setup. I'd been having a similar problem, but I remembered this bit from frozen rope about problems resulting from bad fundamentals, and I adjusted working on my stance a bit, and started puring it.

I was thinking all this stuff about swing plane, backswing arc/length, hip rotation, blah blah. But it all came down to my setup.

We hear all the time about grip, stance, fundamentals etc, repeated over and over. there's a reason that kinda thing is repeated over and over, it must be important.

I'll half agree with Frozen Rope on this one....and thats more than I have ever agreed with him.

Grip/Posture...all those components of the address position are VITAL. Absolutely the foundation. That being said, you have to make a turn back and through. If you've never done that before, the proper address position will certainly aid you....but you can still screw a lot of crap up.