Erica Blasburg

Let me give my 2 cents on this subject since I'm privy to seeing her. I've followed her career since she was about 10 years old. She grew up playing the game and I'd see her all the time on the range that I used to frequent. Her dad has always been her coach. I've seen him berate her and humiliate her verbally, verbally abusive man. As bad as he gave it to her, she never cried. At least I never saw any tears hitting balls next to her.

When a resort course opened in the city of Corona, they took their act there and that's where they'd practice. Since I used to play out that club, I'd see them all the time. I even got her to autograph an old GolfWeek cover that I still have hanging on my wall. Over the years, her dad has pretty much been very controlling of her. She's a great ballstriker, but her putting is absolutely horrid. Can't putt worth a lick. Putts like a 10 handi. She doesn't have soft hands around the green for those sweet pitches and chips. Hits a solid driver. Very nice swing. But as we know, talent on a pro tour doesn't mean anything. Everyone has talent out there.

IMHO, her dad is the biggest handicap on her game. He has the absolute worst reputation amongst the staff at the club. He isn't a member of the PGA yet he's the Director of Instruction at the club. The only reason he got the position is that he's a friend of the developer of the land the course is on. His only claim to fame is that his daughter has a conditional card on the LPGA. I know about 8 people who've taken lessons from him and all but one said they would never take another lesson from him again. He cusses during his lessons and he berates people. He doesn't mince words and he has no tact at all. He always eats alone in the restaurant and I've seen people literally get up and walk out when he comes walking in. He also claims to be a disciple of Derek Hardy and I almost laughed out loud when I heard that. I realize that I sound like a complete troll but even Erica herself has said that her dad is embarrassing at times and a thorn in her side.

What really puzzles me is that last year, she finished out of the top 90 for full exempt status. So you would think she'd get her application in for Q School right? Wrong. She decided against Q School and didn't want to try and get her card. She felt comfortable being a partially exempt player and felt like Monday qualifers and exemptions would be good enough. Very, very disturbing if you ask me.

If she wants to get to the next level, she's gotta break away from her father. Just like Natilie did with her dad. Natalie broke away and guess what, she wins a tournament. Erica needs to stiff arm her dad, get with someone else and practice her putting til the cows come home.

Sharkiesj,

That's the best post of the status of Erica's game that I've seen in a long time. Your observations are very astutue, informative, and insightful. I agree with everything that you've said.

I'd heard from others about her dad's questionable behavior (very engaged, at best; very tempermental, at worst). While it's clear that he really wants her to be the best (Tiger's dad was much tougher on him mentally, almost to the point of being a jerk), his method is questionable. At least Tiger's dad toughened him up in private, not on a driving range for all to see. I'd heard that Erica's dad was behaving so badly at 1 tournament during her collegiate years, that the Arizona coach took his name of the pass list so that he couldnt get into the tournament....

After watching her 3-putt on a par 3 for a dble bogey at the Corning Classic last week, I see what you mean about her putting issues. Granted she was putting lights out during the first round of that event, but it looked to be an outlier performance. It appears that her regular putting style and outcome is as you'd described. I know I've been commenting on improving her swing, but you're right: it's her putting that really needs an overhaul. I suggested earlier in this post that she should switch to a mallet putter with higher MOI. It'd help her on those short 5' putts for par that she seems prone to missing left.

I also couldn't figure out why she opted for non-exempt status this year, instead of trying to get her card via Q-school. What am I missing? Do you think she may call it quits after 3 yrs of trying to break through on the tour? Her game and success hasn't met her (or others) expectations like those of her rookie peer, Paula Creamer.

I agree with your recommendations for Erica. However, it's easier said than done. Her dad's behavior closely resembles that of a traditional Asian parent (expect perfection, no tact, no sense of embarrassment for themselves or their kids). You can try to run and hide, but they always find you. It'll be very tough for her to break away. On the other hand, if one had to pick between the extremes of a parent who cares too much vs. one who didn't care at all, I'll take the overbearing parent everyday. So, for all his faults, Erica's dad, Mel, really does love his daughter and only wants the best for her. She should be worried if he doesn't have anything to say to her....

I don;t think Natalie has completely gotten away from her dad. I heard he's still on Butch Harmon's case for Natalie's not having won an event in 2008 yet....

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just signed up to this site and was looking for some posts on Erica Blasberg and saw this post.

Something's just can't be allowed to be said and be unchallenged. What kind of fan is this who attacks her putting, decisions about Q School and the very parent who had to sacrifice much to give her a special life. I'm a long time Corona, Ca resident and have followed the career of Erica Blasberg and her family. The attack I just read on her father is both horribly offensive and deliberately slanted to give the wrong impression. Why, I'm not sure, but it sounds like another one of these people that stand in judgement of everything and want you to live their way. I will also guess he has kids that frustrate him and he wished would have similar success as Erica has.

First, Erica besides being an outstanding golfer, is an outstanding person, both because of this so called horrible father. She was a dominating local player, top 10 AJGA player, was in 8-10 USGA events and by most accounts the #1 college player as a Freshmen. Perhaps, her fathers methods looked a little overbearing, but why does this poster find it reprehensible now? The reference to Tiger and his father, is ridiculous, he wasn't ever with them and if he was, he probably would find them objectionable as well. The molding of a world class athlete is very difficult and from the outside looking in, filled with questionable behavior and methods. However, despite a LPGA career that is evolving slower than hoped, it is clear it has worked, for Erica.

My biggest concern is about his attack on Erica's father as a teacher. He makes him sound like the worst teacher ever and specifically say's he there because of his connections than his ability. What he left out, Mel has been there for 9yrs and has taught hundreds of students in that time, including me, my kids, my friends kids. So unlike this poster who hasn't, I can tell you first hand, why Erica has excelled in the sport. I'm not sure why he would go around asking for and finding 8 students to report their findings, but he forget to ask all the Juniors participating in the AJGA, qualifying for the Am's and getting golf scholarships to D1 schools, that he taught and is teaching. Most important for me as a Corona resident, he has an outstanding record of preparing kids for the High School programs, which includes the coach's. What is particularly disturbing about this posters character assassination, is how he's twisted Mel's teaching methods to sound, unprofessional-I think he said tactless. When you first speak to Mel, he asks questions about you as the golfer and person. He than makes it clear his style is best suited for those who really want to get better. That he's direct, treats everyone with a degree of irreverence and finds the traditional snobby style of teaching ineffective and no fun. I've never met a more honest upfront guy and it's why almost everyone improves and generally stays with him for years. Actually, try to get an appointment with him, he has very few spots available. The nonsense this poster wrote, like his Tiger Earl comment, is just conjecture.

Why this poster also mocks's Mel relationship with Derek Hardy, is another mysterious attempt to injure Erica's by attacking her father. They have a long time relationship going back about 10yrs, when Mel thought he needed someone, who had more experience then himself. The reason I know, I met Derek at Eagle Glen, when he was at Pelican Hill. I should add, Mel also had Dave Stockton look at her putting.

I was just going to say a few things to set the record straight and have gone beyond that, but will tell you. Despite the poster comments, Mel hasn't gone to many of Erica's LPGA events, as he did before she turned professional. So her lack of success is really on her shoulders. My guess it's both financial and need for her to do it on her own and a belief on her fathers part to do just that. What's disgusting here, is this so called fan of Erica's has no problem attacking most anything and dangles innuendos, as though there fact and for what purpose. His comment of Mel eating lunch alone to give the impression no one wants to, is an example. That's just stupid and if anything the opposite is true. He prefers eating alone and is known to avoid many who not only would enjoy lunch, but wouldn't let him pay. Probably does it, not have to deal with the jealous parent monitors, like this poster.

The real fact is Erica's father is a great father and those who really get to know Mel , ( the part I don't like- he doesn't make it easy) learn why his daughter is successful, even if she isn't yet living up to some idiot fans, expectation.

PS. Who ever you are, why don't you talk to Mel instead of posing as a fan, attacking his daughter, direclty and indirectly. This community is proud of her and appreciate her father.

I watched that tournament when Erica contended a couple of months ago. Very attractive. Also very far from the ball. That was glaring. It's already been mentioned in this thread.

Normally that's one way to immediately distinguish a pro from an amateur. Pros are typically in perfect positioning with proper angles while amateurs reach and lunge or are too crowded, something obviously wrong.

Erica may have been a top player all her life but I question how much she can improve on that level until she gets closer to her work.

I sampled her website and while it's poorly designed I was impressed with her entries, not frequent but detailed. Many players spit out a quick sentence or two.

Just for the record. I'm not sure where everyone is coming from, but Erica's swing is fine and has been in the Top 10 in Driving Accuracy and Top 30 in GIR's in her previous 3yrs and is considered one of the real strong balll strikers on Tour. She's been in the final group in 2 events this year. I believe her putting let's her down, especially when she has an off ball striking day and when she plays herself into a position either to challenge to win, or in a position for a big check. The comment from that idiot "fan" who thinks she putts like a 10 handicap, is absurd, but does keep her out from being a top 10 player. However, this year it looks like she's trying too hard and getting way ahead of herself.

Normally that's one way to immediately distinguish a pro from an amateur. Pros are typically in perfect positioning with proper angles while amateurs reach and lunge or are too crowded, something obviously wrong.

I disagree with that statement quite a bit. Lots of different ways to hit a golf ball (see Trevino, Palmer, Furyk, DiMarco, Lehman, Montgomerie). And there's plenty of quirky swings on the ladies tour. My guess is that being a little further from the ball allows her to generate a little more rotational power and also promotes a draw.

As has been said many times above, hitting the ball isn't her problem, it's getting it in the hole.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

I disagree with that statement quite a bit. Lots of different ways to hit a golf ball (see Trevino, Palmer, Furyk, DiMarco, Lehman, Montgomerie). And there's plenty of quirky swings on the ladies tour. My guess is that being a little further from the ball allows her to generate a little more rotational power and also promotes a draw.

As has been said many times above, hitting the ball isn't her problem, it's getting it in the hole.

You've got multiple observers independently noticing the same thing, that's she too far from the ball. I think it's foolish to dismiss that. When I saw her with a fairway wood it was particularly noticeable.

Those players you mentioned obviously have distinct swings. None were known for standing too far away. In Furyk's case it's the opposite, very close to the ball.

I don't think we'll change each other's mind. It doesn't matter if Erica is hitting the ball well now. It's about maximizing potential and standing too far removed doesn't equate to that, by any logical or historical standard.

Here's a segment of a related article I bookmarked recently:

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/Jul/09...amental-balanc/

"Byron Nelson said in all of his writings that you couldn't stand too close to the ball. I'm not sure this is entirely correct either, but I know I would rather see somebody too close to the ball than too far away."

I don't think we'll change each other's mind. It doesn't matter if Erica is hitting the ball well now. It's about maximizing potential and standing too far removed doesn't equate to that, by any logical or historical standard.

I can't find a pic of Erica at address, but non-textbook address positions are not uncommon on the lpga tour.

For example, here's Lorena at address:

insl02_ochoa.jpg

An inch or two further away and the shaft and her arms would be a straight line. But that distance from the ball allows her to generate more rotational power from her small frame. It's not illogical - a lot of the long drive guys "reach" for the ball for the same reason. For the girls, it's a balance between consistent ballstriking and distance.

As for Erica, her putting and sand saves are awful. You can get away with poor ballstriking if you've got a great shortgame, but ballstriking rarely compensates for poor work around the green.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, Tensei White 65S
Taylormade Qi10 15*, Hzrdus Gen 4 Black 70 6.0

Taylormade Sim Ti 18*, GD AD-IZ 7X

Taylormade Qi10 Tour Rescue, GD AD-IZ 85S

Taylormade P790 5i - 6i, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade P770 7i-AW, MMT 105 S +1"

Taylormade MG 3 56*, & 60*, MMT 105 S +1"
Odyssey TriHot 5k Seven CH, 35"

Your comments are based on a typical man's swing. Women are obviously built differently and are almost always further from the ball then men. However, because his name came up, why not ask the person responsible; Mel Blasberg. His number as given out by Eagle Glen GC, is: 800-555-1212. I know he doesn't go near the Blogs,Boards, Forums, but is quoted from time to time, in the papers, magazines and radio.