2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Hank Haney - School of Golf

TeeTime907

mag,

during the takeaway is the club going in more of a rounded arc around the body, i just cant seem to get the feeling or image in my minds eye. I tend to get to out around and up, but when im in a mirror trying to trace the shaft angle going back to hip high it seems more around and insideish too me at least, are there any drills you could recomend, really anything would help

Thanks

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really didn't read all the posts before but here is the little insight I have about the IJGA...

The assistant below me at our country club just graduated from the school. He didn't say much about the schooling but obviously the main focus is golf. (As long as you can add up your score you pass)

He talked to Hank once in while over the summer so I have to think you receive some good attention. The kid can hit every shot and developed a great game he told me while at the academy. His goal is to make the PGA tour and I thought how silly it was but after watching the show I see that is the mind set of the players at the academy.

Anyways he teaches there now during the school year and I believe will be back at our club during the summer months. Maybe I will see him on the show!

[b][i]Titleist 917D3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist 917F3[/i][/b]
[b][i]Titleist [/i]816H1[/b]
[b][i]Titleist 716[/i][/b] [i][b]AP2 [/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Vokey SM6[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Scotty Cameron Golo 5[/b][/i]
[i][b]Titleist Pro V1X[/b][/i]

OK, first off, I am on the show... and y are people complaining about the tuition? who cares if you cant send your kids or attend the school, there are a select few kids that can afford this and nobody says that without the school you cant succeed in golf. There are PLENTY OF KIDS NOT GOING TO SCHOOLS LIKE THIS WHO PLAY TOP COLLEGE GOLF. So stop complaining about these "rich little country club kids." If you dont want to watch dont, but the show is fun and just take it for what it is, a look into the training of a select few kids in the junior golf world.

Yet he does have great talent or Tiger wouldn't have hired him.

I'm a big Tiger fan, but everyone acts like he's incapable of making mistakes. Tiger would win regardless of who his teacher is - he would (does?) overcome any "misinformed" instruction via talent. And will power.

As far as these academies go, I think it's kinda sad. Kudos to the parents for wanting to give their kids every opportunity but wow what a terrible ROI decision. There are so many more superior environments to put these kinds in, instruction to give them, lessons to learn that it seems like an incredible waste of money. To each is own I guess.......

glcoach is pretty much spot on in this thread.

Don't let the IJGA be an example for golf academies across the country.

Some golf academies are designed in a way to maximize the amount that the students can learn and grow. Where I attend, the Champions Golf Academy - I can not think of any place where I would rather be. I am living on my own, with a few other students. I am learning how to survive on my own, my parents are not filthy rich like some other juniors, I have to budget my food, gas and all around spending. I'm getting the healthy college atmosphere that most are put into, but it's all golf. We are working out everyday, our main focus is on our short games (120 yards and in) and we are learning new ways to think about playing golf.

You try to think of a better environment - and I'll go there.

QUOTE(mainegolfa @ Sep 6 2008, 09:21 AM)

yeah. for me, the problem with this idea is not at impact, as I think you should get back to the same shaft angle at impact for certain, or as close as you can.

the issue for me is that it makes your shaft plane too flat from about 7:30 to the top and back down. whenever the club is not operating on the shaft plane (hip high to hip high), and is not paralell to the ground, the shaft should be pointing somewhere along the target line. the paralell lines move has the shaft too flat and is pointing outside the target line.

not bashing his theory, just not to be what I consider ideal.

Understood.

But, why do you consider the shaft pointing at the target line ideal? A rerouting has to occur to some degree from there in order to get it back to the shaft plane or close. Make sense? It's steeper than you started, so it has to shallow out. And what will shallow it out and when? Make sense? If it's parallel, then you don't chance it being steep which could cause the shaft to approach a bit steeper/inverted. When that happens, the hands become to active by necessity. Make sense? The shaft pointing outside the ball is not taboo. In fact, it is what I consider in position. Having said that, the sooner it gets back onto the original shaft plane coming down, which is much sooner than in the takeaway, the better.

I'll try to use this as an example of how much sooner the shaft and clubhead get on the original shaft plane coming down.

I understand what you're sayin.

this is a complicated issue which I would not claim to know all about, nor how to explain very well, short of writing a monster post that no one will read. but I'll try to give you a short explanation as to why I see it the way I do.

look at it this way. to me the angle of the shaft on the downswing from the top of the backswing to hip high implies the direction that the hands are moving. in other words.. the clubhead should be trailing right behind the path of the hands(on a wider arc(hence setting the club shaft on the same plane as the left arm/ opposite the elbow)). this is what I believe allows for maximum leverage on the club. the paralell lines theory has the hands working more vertically than where the shaft is pointing.

jmop

btw almost all of the greatest ballstrikers in history had the shaft pointed at the ball halfway down.

p.s. the difference between what were' talkin about is pretty small, I would not say that Tiger is out of position to hit by any means, just a lil' different from what I'd like to see.

yeah. for me, the problem with this idea is not at impact, as I think you should get back to the same shaft angle at impact for certain, or as close as you can.

the issue for me is that it makes your shaft plane too flat from about 7:30 to the top and back down. whenever the club is not operating on the shaft plane (hip high to hip high), and is not paralell to the ground, the shaft should be pointing somewhere along the target line. the paralell lines move has the shaft too flat and is pointing outside the target line.

Understood.

But, why do you consider the shaft pointing at the target line ideal? A rerouting has to occur to some degree from there in order to get it back to the shaft plane or close. Make sense? It's steeper than you started, so it has to shallow out. And what will shallow it out and when? Make sense? If it's parallel, then you don't chance it being steep which could cause the shaft to approach a bit steeper/inverted. When that happens, the hands become to active by necessity. Make sense? The shaft pointing outside the ball is not taboo. In fact, it is what I consider in position. Having said that, the sooner it gets back onto the original shaft plane coming down, which is much sooner than in the takeaway, the better.

I'll try to use this as an example of how much sooner the shaft and clubhead get on the original shaft plane coming down.

this is a complicated issue which I would not claim to know all about, nor how to explain very well, short of writing a monster post that no one will read. but I'll try to give you a short explanation as to why I see it the way I do.

look at it this way. to me the angle of the shaft on the downswing from the top of the backswing to hip high implies the direction that the hands are moving. in other words.. the clubhead should be trailing right behind the path of the hands(on a wider arc(hence setting the club shaft on the same plane as the left arm/ opposite the elbow)). this is what I believe allows for maximum leverage on the club. the paralell lines theory has the hands working more vertically than where the shaft is pointing.

jmop

btw almost all of the greatest ballstrikers in history had the shaft pointed at the ball halfway down.

p.s. the difference between what were' talkin about is pretty small, I would not say that Tiger is out of position to hit by any means, just a lil' different from what I'd like to see.

It's a good opinion too.

I like it pointing at the ball too. Just, in the downswing, from the top to about 9:00, I want it passing through parallel planes, so my pivot can automatically pull the club (without any rerouting) as early as possible onto the original shaft plane and into delivery. If my club was pointing at the ball during that period before 9:00, then the clubhead would be too high and if I wanted to attack the ball from the best inside angle, I would have to manipulate a few things/slow down/etc.... Just a little less movement, I guess.

It's just harder to play golf from this position in the next photo. It's simply not necessary to come into the ball like this and I find YOU WILL if the club is pointing at the ball too long too early and the hands are moving at the ball from too high. This inverted approach brings trouble with it. ABSOLUTELY doable and powerful, but simply requires more timing.

Another top notch full-time coach @ ijga.

Former PGA National Teacher of the Year Joins Hank Haney IJGA

09/04/2008

Peter Krause, 2005 PGA National Teacher of the Year and a Golf Magazine Top 100 instructor, has been named Director of Instruction for Hank Haney International Junior Golf Academy. Krause will oversee the Golf Training program and will work directly with Hank Haney and all the instructors as well as all students.

According to CEO Mark Gonsalves, “no other academy can claim credentials like these with both Hank Haney and Peter Krause working with our students. This improvement is part of our ongoing goal to bring the best instruction possible to our students. Collectively, we now have a team unparalleled in junior golf instruction.”

OK, first off, I am on the show... and y are people complaining about the tuition? who cares if you cant send your kids or attend the school, there are a select few kids that can afford this and nobody says that without the school you cant succeed in golf. There are PLENTY OF KIDS NOT GOING TO SCHOOLS LIKE THIS WHO PLAY TOP COLLEGE GOLF. So stop complaining about these "rich little country club kids." If you dont want to watch dont, but the show is fun and just take it for what it is, a look into the training of a select few kids in the junior golf world.

Congrats Chadpol77, glad to hear you use the word fun to describe your experience. Maybe you could shed some more light on the teaching styles or method and your experiences in a golf academy for us. Do you each get the same instruction and swing method that Haney is known for or more individualized instruction? Is the regular school like the show or is Haney teaching more because of the show? How much have you improved since attending? Anything else you would like to comment on would be great.

Once again thx for chiming in! :man_in_love:

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54° 60°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

Understood.

jmop

It's a good opinion too.

I like it pointing at the ball too. Just, in the downswing, from the top to about 9:00, I want it passing through parallel planes, so my pivot can automatically pull the club (without any rerouting) as early as possible onto the original shaft plane and into delivery. If my club was pointing at the ball during that period before 9:00, then the clubhead would be too high and if I wanted to attack the ball from the best inside angle, I would have to manipulate a few things/slow down/etc.... Just a little less movement, I guess.

It's just harder to play golf from this position in the next photo. It's simply not necessary to come into the ball like this and I find YOU WILL if the club is pointing at the ball too long too early and the hands are moving at the ball from too high. This inverted approach brings trouble with it. ABSOLUTELY doable and powerful, but simply requires more timing.

I agree 100% that the shaft plane is very important for the swing for all the reasons you state Magnum. Where I dislike the application of the theory is in anyway "post-impact." In my humble opinion, shaft planes are irrelevant after impact...and in fact have an unnatural effect when attempted to be followed in the through swing. This is where Tiger's swings all seem to go awry, especially the long clubs, as you see him rehearsing so often this unnatural move to raise and extend the arc through the ball/down-the-line when he is setting everything else up very well for a more rounded, natural arc to the left for the through swing.

Cheers,

Tim

I agree 100% that the shaft plane is very important for the swing for all the reasons you state Magnum. Where I dislike the application of the theory is in anyway "post-impact." In my humble opinion, shaft planes are irrelevant after impact...and in fact have an unnatural effect when attempted to be followed in the through swing. This is where Tiger's swings all seem to go awry, especially the long clubs, as you see him rehearsing so often this unnatural move to raise and extend the arc through the ball/down-the-line when he is setting everything else up very well for a more rounded, natural arc to the left for the through swing.

Cheers,

Tim

Yes Sir. Right on the money.

I find in my own swing that if I do indeed stay on or close to that original shaft past impact, I am using my pivot correctly and am in sync while the club is working to the left with the correct pitch. If I ever get off of it through impact, like Woods often does with the longer stuff (higher/inverted), I am in recovery mode doing more work than I want to be doing. What's more, when I do get a bit inverted, I am NEVER parallel with the through swing. The club exits a bit high and steep on top of the left shoulder. I know you know what I'm talking about there. But, when I deliver the club through impact correctly (working left in sync), I am always parallel or close in the through swing. It's not deliberate, but a cause and effect thing. I never try to force it. I use the through swing parallel stuff as a checkpoint only. And it all come back to how the club went through the ball and how well my body was working.

I would say those are mostly full shots. Sometimes, particularly with wedges, and depending on trajectory, I will have that sawed off/vertical shaft/low hands look. A lot like the 9 to 3 Slicefixer stuff. Can be executed with a bunch of clubs.

But, overall, the parallel stuff has been good for me, and has made a big difference all the way to impact. Especially going back and coming down.

What do you focus on Tim? Do you have to focus on anything through impact, or do you just let it RIP left and let it go where it goes?

Or anyone else really.

I hope the OP isn't too upset with being off topic here. Sorry.

Something like this I suppose. I can't put an absolute on this one though.

Like I said, when I get something like this, I usually went through the ball well as I worked and released everything turning and unwinding left. No holding back, just ripping through the ball. Mainly, I was in sync and pivot guided.

You think I'm making it more complicated than it needs to be? Always looking for other opinions.

I fit one of the kids that goes to that school and is on the show. He is the lefty in case anybody cares LOL. I've only seen the show once, and it kinda bored me.

Ping G430 Max 10K 9° Ventus TR Blue 6

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

I fit one of the kids that goes to that school and is on the show. He is the lefty in case anybody cares LOL. I've only seen the show once, and it kinda bored me.

Can he actually golf? watching those kids on the show they would get eaten alive at a state junior tourney

Go play some IJGT events and see. Its what you need to do to get college recognition anyway. And they are much cheaper than AJGA's. Or were in my junior days anyway.

Can he actually golf? watching those kids on the show they would get eaten alive at a state junior tourney

Go play some IJGT events and see. Its what you need to do to get college recognition anyway. And they are much cheaper than AJGA's. Or were in my junior days anyway.

Im not saying that the IJGTs are weak, but the ones they are keeping track of on the show are nothing special

Im not saying that the IJGTs are weak, but the ones they are keeping track of on the show are nothing special

The lefty looks pretty good to me, and I know from others is pretty good. The kid who quit isn't very good, but he also just started playing golf. I believe played football and hockey and was injured forcing him to quit. I don't remember the exact details (a buddy of mine is on the show, hank gets him a spot on BC's team in a few episodes).

What I was saying about the IJGT's is sometimes 75 is a pretty good score out there. You saw all those kids were bundled up, playing for the pressure of college scholarships, it isn't always easy. The lefty finished 3rd i think? I was proud of a top three when I played those events, FWIW.

Hey i attend the academy right now and i was here last year as well i am on this show just to let you all know just about everything that you guys see is fake they made us make up and speak about more than half of the topics that you see so when you see someone doing something stupid they were most likely told or made to do that. just take it for what it is its just another dumb reality TV show and if you dont like it dont watch.

Yours truly,

IJGA

beside the whole golf channel thing this school is great. i have attended here for quite some time now and i have went from shooting in the low to mid 90s to the low 70s i broke par after one year at the ijga it has been a life changing experiance. there is nothing like it and now with peter krause here it is unbelievable he is as good if not better than hank haney him self!!! the instructors are first class and there is nothing like it any where else in the world. Hank does come quite a bit and also if you go to leadbetter academy you dont even see him he comes down once a semester to visit him and he is not teaching the #1 player in the world is he!!

I just finished reading the book "Driven" which is about the Leadbetter Academy..

Total cost is about $100K per year. $70K for tuition to the Academy, $13K for School and an estimated $15K for travel to various tournaments throughout the year. The kids go to school about 1/2 day the afternoons are devoted to golf (3-4 hours) and fitness (1 -1/2 hours), followed by dinner and homework. Lights out at 10 pm.

All these expensive schools are an outrageous joke.

The best thing about pro golf is that you can not buy your way on no matter how rich mommy and daddy are.

It starts with being blessed with great talents and takes lots of hard work and sacrafice.

At the end of the day all that matters are the numbers you shoot in competition.

well,all i will say is that when your golf season is 6 month or less i find it hard

to see any negatives if the money is not a issue.

But for the average american, money is an issue

As well as the fact that to send your kid to one of these schools, it ends up being about 60 grand a year, equal to about 2 years of out of state university

well,all i will say is that when your golf season is 6 month or less i find it hard

As well as the fact that to send your kid to one of these schools, it ends up being about 60 grand a year, equal to about 2 years of out of state university

The point is to max out your opportunity's.

parents spend these amounts because they love their child and want to do whatever they can to make their childs dream come true no matter how unlikely that may be.

Do you think people are not going to spend that amount because the average american cannot afford these academy's?

People who compain about the amounts spent or that the return on investment is horrible simply cannot afford it,and thats fine.

If they want a investment they are smart enough to know where to put that money,

All that matters is your child

and your own financial situation.

The average american cannot afford a garage full of 80k cars

but should we hate or compain that they are unaffordable to the average american?

99% of those people use them for enjoyment not a investment.

its their personal choice.

You have to think of the mind set of people earning 500k and up

Most of them have several homes , own their own buisnesses , drive

very expensive cars,etc.etc..

60 k a year is like 6 kor less for the avg american.

The point is to max out your opportunity's.

parents spend these amounts because they love their child and want to do whatever they can to make their childs dream come true no matter how unlikely that may be.

Do you think people are not going to spend that amount because the average american cannot afford these academy's?

People who compain about the amounts spent or that the return on investment is horrible simply cannot afford it,and thats fine.

If they want a investment they are smart enough to know where to put that money,

All that matters is your child

and your own financial situation.

The average american cannot afford a garage full of 80k cars

but should we hate or compain that they are unaffordable to the average american?

99% of those people use them for enjoyment not a investment.

its their personal choice.

You have to think of the mind set of people earning 500k and up

Most of them have several homes , own their own buisnesses , drive

very expensive cars,etc.etc..

60 k a year is like 6 kor less for the avg american.

I think you have made up your mind about who is saying what...but in case I'm wrong, here's another perspective:

Some of us could afford to send kids to schools like this, but choose not to because we know and have seen that this kind of environment will not develop well rounded children, nor will it necessarily increase the chances of that kid achieving their dreams. No one here, that I've seen, has said "I hate the idea of these schools simply because of the cost," in fact, most have said, "REGARDLESS of cost, what will this actually do to help a kid grow into a great human and a great golfer?" I know the answer that I believe on the important question. On the other hand, I am VERY biased against these schools because I grew up relatively poor, played my golf by working from a young age at a military course for balls and rounds, went to public schools, played high school golf (and LOVED IT), cut my teeth in local junior/amateur tourneys, and then played the odd AJGA event in the area...worked out fine for me in the end and a LOT of other great players of my generation. I do not like the DIRECTION that these types of schools are taking the game...this game is becoming less and less accessible to kids from my background (inner-city public schoolers with at best modest means). I am OPPOSED to spending MY money to send my daughter to this type of school someday because I know that she has a better chance of developing her game in different circumstances AND the money spent perpetuates the income gap that is discouraging the widespread acceptance and growth of the sport. I do not agree "to each their own..." That is a cop out. No child of mine will ever learn that their father spent more on "golf school" than college or charity...just as no child of mine will ever have a $500K 16th birthday party. It's a matter of values. Plus, from where I grew up, all the public school kids kicked a**...many of them still do it on tour.

Tim

This thread is funny. CGA is better than the IJGA. All the kids at the IJGA would lose at state tourneys around the country. These kids are all rich spoiled brats. Gimmee a break! Just like one poster said, this is a reality show. Like all other reality shows, it is meant to get ratings and generate revenue.

If someone has the opportunity and financial means to send their kids there, why should we fault them? Should parents not send their kids to travel abroad and immerse themselves in another culture when they could just read about it in a book and watch videos on that country? Should parents not send their kids to local sports training programs and/or get them a personal trainer so that they can become better at a sport when they could just go in the backyard and field a couple of ground balls from dear old dad? Nonsense.

This is America. The land of opportunity. Money talks and it buys you access. These families have the financial means to send their kids to what they perceive as the "best" and that is exactly what they are doing. If you don't have the money or you don't perceive this as the best opportunity for your child, then find another avenue for your child. There are plenty by the way.

E.

In my opinion, some of the people here need to ask themselves why they are bashing this school so hard. I mean obviously that show is not a direct representation of what goes on in that school, so most likely your opinion is not even an informed one. And even then, reading these posts they seem to be more out of jealousy and spite than anything else.

I do not think that the IJGA is the best place in the world to send a junior golfer. But I don't think its the worst either. A good friend of mine is a little younger than me from my club and hardly played golf in highschool. Joined the highschool team his junior year, after realizing he was too small to pursue college hockey. Definitely could not break 80 two days in a row at that point. He graduated highschool and went to the IJGA post grad. Now he will be playing on Boston College's team this year. You'll see it on the show. But that definitely would not have happened for him had he not attended IJGA. He didn't get one college offer out of highschool, and now he's going to start for BC!

It can't be all bad.

lets say johnny is 13 years old and a par golfer in nothern minnesota where

the golf season is 5 months.

His family has achieved financial success.

Its his passion and he feels he can get even better playing every day down south.

He would then be able to play every day, compete against other top juniors, get great instruction, get fitness and mental training,etc.etc..

So just because some of you grew up with with very modest means you are

going to hate on him , his parents ,and the academy?

everyone has different circumstances , you think its better hitting golf balls in the snow

than train @ one of these academys?

Any reasonable person would say its a good move if the kids is mature , driven,

and their parents have the extra money.

lets say johnny is 13 years old and a par golfer in nothern minnesota where

the golf season is 5 months.

His family has achieved financial success.

Its his passion and he feels he can get even better playing every day down south.

He would then be able to play every day, compete against other top juniors, get great instruction, get fitness and mental training,etc.etc..

So just because some of you grew up with with very modest means you are

going to hate on him , his parents ,and the academy?

everyone has different circumstances , you think its better hitting golf balls in the snow

than train @ one of these academys?

Any reasonable person would say its a good move if the kids is mature , driven,

and their parents have the extra money.

I disagree with you. You may believe me to be unreasonable, but I stand by every word that I wrote on here. I have much more that I'd like to write, but at this point I think we are all firmly in our camps. Let's just say that being a parent changes your views on these schools. I can see why a young guy/gal might argue that these are "great" opportunities. I simply disagree that it is as simple, nor as "foolproof" a sure thing as you imply.

Cheers,

Tim

I think you have made up your mind about who is saying what...but in case I'm wrong, here's another perspective:

Some of us could afford to send kids to schools like this, but choose not to because we know and have seen that this kind of environment will not develop well rounded children, nor will it necessarily increase the chances of that kid achieving their dreams. No one here, that I've seen, has said "I hate the idea of these schools simply because of the cost," in fact, most have said, "REGARDLESS of cost, what will this actually do to help a kid grow into a great human and a great golfer?" I know the answer that I believe on the important question. On the other hand, I am VERY biased against these schools because I grew up relatively poor, played my golf by working from a young age at a military course for balls and rounds, went to public schools, played high school golf (and LOVED IT), cut my teeth in local junior/amateur tourneys, and then played the odd AJGA event in the area...worked out fine for me in the end and a LOT of other great players of my generation. I do not like the DIRECTION that these types of schools are taking the game...this game is becoming less and less accessible to kids from my background (inner-city public schoolers with at best modest means). I am OPPOSED to spending MY money to send my daughter to this type of school someday because I know that she has a better chance of developing her game in different circumstances AND the money spent perpetuates the income gap that is discouraging the widespread acceptance and growth of the sport. I do not agree "to each their own..." That is a cop out. No child of mine will ever learn that their father spent more on "golf school" than college or charity...just as no child of mine will ever have a $500K 16th birthday party. It's a matter of values. Plus, from where I grew up, all the public school kids kicked a**...many of them still do it on tour.

Tim

No child of mine will ever learn that their father spent more on "golf school" than college or charity...just as no child of mine will ever have a $500K 16th birthday party. It's a matter of values.

Well said. Could not agree with you more. And we both know that your kids will be better for it. - Good Dad!