2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Hank Haney - School of Golf

TeeTime907

Is it only for the Wealthy?
A full year costs $47,000 and a semester costs you $26,000.

I guess my question is we are really watching a bunch of country club boys and girls that have extremely rich parents. Does this turn you off in watching the golf channel TV show?

I'm a little turned off by it. I wonder if any of the students have a scholarship or how can a middle class get in without mortgaging the house.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked the show and the overall concept as its cool to see a little sneak peek into the school, but my mother was watching it with me and said "Do you feel that I didnt give you enough growing up?" My parents worked very hard to provide me with as much as they possibly could, and I think a show like this will generate interest in other juniors and also make SOME parents feel bad they cant give there child that. Im NOT saying the show is bad as I enjoyed it, I just think that tuition rates that high is crazy. But if you can afford to send your kid to that more power to you. A friend of mine went to the David Leadbetter academy in Bradenton for a couple years and racked up about $200,000 worth of golf expenses! The funny thing is, he only got a small college offer for not even full ride and hasnt even played for the team in a tournament yet. He will be a Senior this year! Oh well he can still clean my clock, I just like to needle him a little!

I just finished reading the book "Driven" which is about the Leadbetter Academy..

Total cost is about $100K per year. $70K for tuition to the Academy, $13K for School and an estimated $15K for travel to various tournaments throughout the year. The kids go to school about 1/2 day the afternoons are devoted to golf (3-4 hours) and fitness (1 -1/2 hours), followed by dinner and homework. Lights out at 10 pm.

What got me the most about this show was the complete lack of individualized instruction. EVERY kid was trying to make that Haney move on the takeaway and "keep the planes parallel"......nothing individualized for any kid.

That is why these kids don't win....ever. The academies have ruined tennis and they are going to do the same for golf. Cookie cutter swings and cookie cutter games and they run into somebody like Danny Lee with "HIS" swing, a swing that he "OWNS" and they get their clock cleaned.

I know this is a bit off topic but.......

I am sure Haney and everyone else just think Danny Lee's swing is the biggest hack job swing in the world. Hell, Gary Koch even insinuated it in the amateur, he always made a point about how Lee's opponents swing was much more "in control" implying that it was better....but it wasn't, wasn't nearly as dynamic as Lee's and Lee won.

What got me the most about this show was the complete lack of individualized instruction. EVERY kid was trying to make that Haney move on the takeaway and "keep the planes parallel"......nothing individualized for any kid.

That is why these kids don't win....ever. The academies have ruined tennis and they are going to do the same for golf. Cookie cutter swings and cookie cutter games and they run into somebody like Danny Lee with "HIS" swing, a swing that he "OWNS" and they get their clock cleaned.

I know this is a bit off topic but.......

I am sure Haney and everyone else just think Danny Lee's swing is the biggest hack job swing in the world. Hell, Gary Koch even insinuated it in the amateur, he always made a point about how Lee's opponents swing was much more "in control" implying that it was better....but it wasn't, wasn't nearly as dynamic as Lee's and Lee won.

These kids aren't going to this school to get individualized instruction. They are paying to learn the Hank Haney theory of the golf swing. No different than going to Leadbetter's academy. And when did the academies ruin tennis? Only difference from the US and other countries is that the various sports academies here are generally for profit operations whereas many foreign countries have government sponsored academies that parents ship their kids off to.

Also, remember, Leadbetter's academy produced Paula Creamer. She is undoubtedly a force on the LPGA tour. While it would be a nice accomplishment, every kid that comes out of an academy can't and won't make it to the top...but all it takes is a handful to keep the marketing machine alive. Heck, look at Bella Karolyi's brand in gymnastics. Mary Lou Retton's historic performance has given him more marketing power than ever.

E.

I just think having the Golf Channel host this show is promoting an exclusive golf academy that 90% of the kids can't afford.

More like 99.9%.

It's unconsionable. I don't mind someone making a buck, but...

A much more interesting show would be to take kids from extremely modest backgrounds and provide them with some kind of elite instruction that would normally be out of reach to them. I've heard that the McGetrick Academy out of Denver has a program where people can donate their clubs and the clubs get distributed to kids who demonstrate exceptional skill but no financial means to pursue the sport.

Another interesting show would be to take a dozen 20 handicappers who've never been on a country club or ever had the chance to take lessons and give them access to a pro like someone with greater means.

Yep, Haney's place is expensive. Even more expensive if he ruins your swing with the one method philosophy.

I took lessons from Haney's people for 12 years; then my Haney instructor saw Hank give a lesson one day that was complete anathema to his philosophy. It was evidently what Tiger was teaching Hank -- more of a one plane swing. My instructor could not really assist me with more of a body-driven pivot swing, so I went elsewhere.

But if Hank is still teaching left arm away from body, arms in front of body, swing the arms and let the upper body follow -- I feel for those kids paying $50k/year for that.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

What ever happened to getting good on your own (or maybe with a local teaching pro) throughout your childhood and going to either Public or Private School and showing out in High School Golf and earning a college scholarship?

Maybe I am way off base with this and don't know what goes on these days in junior golf.

Scott

In my humble opinion, going to this type of school DECREASES the chances that the pupil/child will have a successful playing career (amateur, collegiate, or pro). The intangibles that make a great player cannot be taught in this type of "school" environment. Rather, what we are seeing is the recipe for taking a player with considerable promise and squeezing the drive, perspective, fluidity, creativity, dream, and spunk right out of them. Top shelf golf is bloody hard on the mind and body for years and years. What you learn ON YOUR OWN, in your own style and of your own discovery is what defines you as a player for decades. It helps to have tutelage along the way, and you want great coaches for great prospects, but the whole process has to be self directed or it is doomed to fail in the end from the perspective of golf and life.

I just about plucked my eyeballs out watching this show...my wife looked me square in the eye after the show and said, "our girl will NEVER go to a school like this." I agreed, and we were NOT talking about the money.

Tim

What ever happened to getting good on your own (or maybe with a local teaching pro) throughout your childhood and going to either Public or Private School and showing out in High School Golf and earning a college scholarship?

Maybe I am way off base with this and don't know what goes on these days in junior golf.

Scott

I agree 100% Scott that you make good on your own with the help of a teacher or two. Play your high school events, if available, and make good on your own. There are still lots of ways to make your name without paying out the whazzoo. Unfortunately, the junior tours are evolving into money makers that are locking down the "pay for play" atmosphere that has stifled american soccer developement (the Olympic Development model). Nonetheless, I know a few top ranked juniors who basically perform well in national and local amateurs and have gotten invitations/qualified for key national amateur events. The old adage to play in every tournament you can afford, perform in the national events, and make a name for yourself as best as you can still holds. However, that route basically requires the kids to play at the top of their game in fewer tournaments and sometimes against older opponents. The safest route from the playing perspective is to have as many opportunities in "big" junior tournaments as one can find. To play a full circuit on the expensive tours is fast approaching becoming prohibitively expensive.

Cheers,

Tim

What you learn ON YOUR OWN, in your own style and of your own discovery is what defines you as a player for decades. It helps to have tutelage along the way, and you want great coaches for great prospects, but the whole process has to be self directed or it is doomed to fail in the end from the perspective of golf and life.

That says it all. Great post!!!

I did like the show, but my above post is what bothered me. I know these guys are getting the "Haney Model". I guess what bothers me is the complete abundance of misinformation and working on things that don't matter.

In one scene, the coach told her "we all line up our bags the same way....it looks intimidating, like we know what we are doing"......I wanted to laugh.

For Example: The girls golf team I coach won the state championship last year and there were 3 or 4 coaches just like the guy on the show last night at the state tournament, they had time slots for every club and made them line up their bags the same way......They looked like the army. My girls were relaxed warmed up to their OWN routine (which we devise, together, for each kid) went out and absolutely bombed them...by 10 shots.

Scott

I think these parents see that Haney teaches Tiger and figure, most likely mistakenly, that their kid will be the next Tiger and if Haney teaches him that he must be good. I went to Haney way back when he was the teaching pro at Sweetwater Country Club down here in Houston. He was just starting to become known from his working with O'Meara...if I remember correctly, we paid $25 or $30 for a lesson back then.

I just think having the Golf Channel host this show is promoting an exclusive golf academy that 90% of the kids can't afford.

More like 99.9%.

A much more interesting show would be to take kids from extremely modest backgrounds and provide them with some kind of elite instruction that would normally be out of reach to them. I've heard that the McGetrick Academy out of Denver has a program where people can donate their clubs and the clubs get distributed to kids who demonstrate exceptional skill but no financial means to pursue the sport.

Another interesting show would be to take a dozen 20 handicappers who've never been on a country club or ever had the chance to take lessons and give them access to a pro like someone with greater means.

I agree that would be a LOT more interesting. One of the discouraging things about junior golf (and many other sports) is how much is determined by how much a parent's income (or if someone is really lucky) a sponsor plays into opportunity.

After seeing Slicefixer's junior students swing, I'd put my money that he could take a group of talented driven kids without the means of the parents on that show and absolutely wax Haney's team from top to bottom.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I thought the show was interesting. I was wondering how much $$ it cost. The girl from China had a good swing. Other than that, pretty much all of them sucked and would get thier clocks cleaned in an local amatuer event. I don't see the point in spending that $$ on a kid who can't even shoot level par.

I think you spend that kind of money to help your child develop a scratch game. I don't have any problem with people spending this sort of money if they have it to spend. There really is no such thing as a level playing field any more, and this is no different. Natural skill generally prevails in the end.

More like 99.9%.

I agree that would be a LOT more interesting. One of the discouraging things about junior golf (and many other sports) is how much is determined by how much a parent's income (or if someone is really lucky) a sponsor plays into opportunity.

After seeing Slicefixer's junior students swing, I'd put my money that he could take a group of talented driven kids without the means of the parents on that show and absolutely wax Haney's team from top to bottom.

They already do! :swoon2:

I thought the show was interesting. I was wondering how much $$ it cost. The girl from China had a good swing. Other than that, pretty much all of them sucked and would get thier clocks cleaned in an local amatuer event. I don't see the point in spending that $$ on a kid who can't even shoot level par.

You mean the girl from China that SHOWED UP with a good swing! I want to see his players, that he's developed from from the ground up. Players that had some nasty swings and bad fundamentals playing off of 26 handicaps that he has improved.