2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

MP60/MP32 Combination

WellBellyMD

Hi Folks,

Went to my club pro this morning to get my Ping ISI's re-gripped, stepped out this afternoon after buying a new set of MP60's :) .Had been thinking about a new set for some time; my ISI's were orange dot, which is way too low and I wasn't that keen on the offset; so the shock wasn't as bad as it might have been.

Spent about 4 hours on the practice range with a 6 iron in the MX17, MX23, MP30, MP60, S59, i5 and an older T-Zoid Comp EZ. I thought that selecting between these clubs would be difficult as I would be quicker to blame a bad shot on a bad swing rather than a bad club. I'm an 11 handicapper, was off 9 at the start of last year but then i started getting lessons :D am trying to think about the last 12 months as "transitional"....hateful would be another word. The target this year is to get down to 7. I put in loads of practice so this is a make or break year for my mental health.

The choice between these clubs though couldn't have been simpler, the MP60 really picked itself, I just couldn't put it down. It just felt so much easier to square it up at impact, does that sound weird? The demo club had the DG S300 shaft and the standard GP Tour velvet grip. The feel was excellent. and the majority of shots went just where i wanted them to go, there was a perceptable increase in distance over the other clubs but i can't prove that. The only slight niggle was a highish trajectory but thats always been in my game. I kept giving my ISI 6 a chance to redeem the set but it declined by shooting both right and left.

Iam very pleased with my purchashe, although i don't know if my wife will be.

Now down to my actual question. When I got home I started looking at reviews online (I don't normally do things in reverse) and noticed that even though the reviews of the MP60 have been gushing some reviewers thought the MP32's were a better club, award winning no less ( maybe the MP60 will win the same awards this year). Would anyone recommend combining the two sets? 3-6, 3-7, 3-8 as MP60's and the balance as MP32's. If so, any opinions on the relative balance? Or should I just stick with the full set MP60's. I haven't picked up the set yet and have a fitting session on sunday. I am going to see if i can get a bash with the lower MP32's before then but this might prove more dificult as the 6 iron is usually only available.

Thanks in advance guys

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am in the middle of shopping for "players" irons (actually re-placing most of my bag as game improves) and have been reading and viewing pretty much everything I can over the past 2 months. I found this site as part of that search (1st post). This time around it will be a custom order for desired sizing, shaft, and grip.

Until last week I was pretty sure I was going to buy Titleist 735CM, and now I am likely not. I have not used a Mizuno product before. I do really like my Titleist wedge and driver.

This week I hit the 735CM, MP-32 and MP-60. Unfortunately, it was indoors but with a simulator and here is my review after about 40 shots 7 iron shots with each:

The MP-60 and MP-32 look reasonability similar at address. Both look nice and clean but MP-32 are slightly smaller which fits my eye better. The 735CM looks great as well. Compared to most everything else these are solid looking clubs.

I did not like the balance of the 735CM nor the feel as much as the Mizunos. I was surprised.

To me, MP-32 is better balanced than MP-60 and felt more solid upon impact. The MP-60 have a higher trajectory and the simulator showed this. The MP-32 felt less forgiving but not overly so. The MP-32 felt slightly softer, more solid, and that the ball is on the face longer than the MP-60. It is also the "chicken & egg thing" as my best swings were with the MP-32 so of course it felt the best. The MP-32 feels like a better balanced set and that put it ahead of MP-60. I will now most likely buy MP-32 4-PW. A mixed set of MP-32 and MP-60 seems to defeat the purpose of a nice balanced set. To get some of the advantages of MP-60 in the high irons I am strongly considering MP-32 with Flighted Rifles shafts.

Trying to finalize shafts: I would perfer a softer feeling tip but not such that it leaves the face open at impact. I normally carry a 7 iron about 155-158. I like my DGS200 in my wedge so the default DGS300 will likely do fine, but the Flighted Rifles 5.5/6.0 has my attention. I likely will not have a chance to hit the rifles before buying, so I have ruled out the Project X. Any comments?

The MP-32 Tour Velvet grips felt pertty good and I may choose them over the old cords. Not sure?

Recently talked to 2 scratch players and one just bought the 735CM and the other the MP-60. Lots of person preference in the choice. Interested to hear your comments if you hit the MP-32.

Cheers.

• TaylorMade SIM Max (12°, GD Tour AD IZ 6 S)
  • TBD - 7w
  • TaylorMade SIM Max2 4h (22°, Fuji Ventus Blue 6 R)
  • TaylorMade SIM Max2 5h (25°, Fuji Ventus Blue 6 R)
  • Titleist T300 (6-G, SteelFiber i110cw R)
  • Titleist SM9 (52°-12F, 58°-10S, Steelfiber i110cw R)
  • Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K (Double Wide Stoke Lab Red)
  • ProV1x

I just ordered a split set of lefty MP-60 and MP-32's with S-300's throughout. I really like the MP-32, but was just afraid that the long irons would be a little too demanding for those rounds where I only get out once every couple weeks.

So hopefullyhtere's no backup on the MP-60's, I've heard some warnings that they might take a bit to arrive.

Anyway, just thought I'd share....being lefty it's always tough but I was sold once I hit the MP-32 6-iron at a demo day.

I have the mixed set in play 456 in the MP60 and the 789PW in the 32. A couple of the guys on this forum come into my shop and we thnk the same thing:

This is great set make-up but if I had to order them again, I'd just get the 60's. They are just that much easier to hit. The 32 's are great but the 60's almost feel softer and that has to be the difference in the missing the sweet spot on the 32's.

Anyway you go here you can't lose. The set works seemlessly and the switch from the 32 to the 60 does not make you feel like you are switching sets.

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

I just received my new MP-60s last night. Custom ordered from Mizuno and arrived in two weeks. I had thought about going with a split set, but was a bit worried about the overall balance within the set. I had a chance to demo both the 32s and 60s while I was in Phoenix last month. After hitting both clubs, I thought that the 32s felt marginally better, but there was such a small diference I went with 60s. I would love to play the 32s full time, but at a 7, I realize I need a little more forgiveness. With that said, I don't feel I am giving much up in feel with the 60s. A very solid club that I can't wait to hit now that I have them in my specs (although with the Noreaster moving in this weekend, it may be awhile)

IMO, you can't really go wrong with either of the clubs. Although the MP-32's might be a little less forgiving, they would help identify your misses so you know what you have to work on. But if you dont want to put in the time but have a relatively reliable swing, then the MP-60's are your clubs.

Although I like the MP-37's much, much better. :) :D

I've had both sets (60s and 32s) and I've played them as a combo. Eventually I just came to the conclusion that it wasn't worth it and stuck with all 60s. Same playability, similar feel, but a LOT more forgiving.

My opinion, no, you don't need a combo set, the 60s will do everything you ask and more.

I also just ordered mp-60's. I'm a 6 cap for reference. I was going to get a mixed 60/32 set. I was able to test not only long irons but also the 8 iron. I just felt I could dial in the 60's 8iron more than the 32. There seems to be just a bit more "feel" (click?) from the 60's, and that gave me just a little more feedback for dialing in the short irons. Also, they gave a few less clunkers for me.