Tour Edge Exotics Irons

KeilwerthSX90R

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i have had a set of irons for a couple of weeks now and am loving them!! there long good to the eye over the ball, the only thing is that they dont feel like butter with a good strike of the ball like a forged club does. i have been playing with taylormade mb's for a couple of years now, they def feel different, but for me are longer and straighter and with the tungsten weight in the bottom they get up easy!!

i got them after a pro persuaded me to try a fairway wood of theirs (exotics) and i loved it, i bought a 4 wood with 16.5deg with a steel shaft and it goes the same distance as my tm vsteel 15deg with aldila 65x, staighter and higher aswell.

im convinced!!!

I reviewed them for another website, but the review isn't posted yet. Here are some excerpts:

TourEdge_Exotic_Iron_001.jpg

Aesthetics

I love the way these irons look. They have a very nice angular, rugged design, with sharply machined edges, contrasted by a flowing sole design and topline. These irons appear a slightly bit thicker than traditional "blade" type irons, but are nowhere near as bulky and thick as some game improvement clubs. I would classify the overall heel-toe length as "midsized", not too small - not too large.

The Satin-finished tungsten sole is nicely complemented by the remainder of the polished steel head body. On the back side of the club, there is a very distinct square weighted square section, with a large "X" on it. Obviously this is meant to add weight and momentum to the golfball at impact. Many other clubs with this design perform very solidly when struck well.

There is a very visible cavity on either side of the square section, seemingly to remove weight from the sole area, to redistribute weight further back and lower in the clubhead, as well as yielding a larger sweetspot. Setup appears very comfortable - even with the slightly thicker topline, they appear very conventional at setup, with moderate offset. This is one very fine, fine looking iron. I was very surprised that it is labeled as a "hybrid", as it appears like a regular iron to me.

Performance

These irons resonate with a very soft "Click" at impact, with a supremely soft and light feel. They are very light and easily controllable to swing. Players who are used to heavier, forged heads may not like the feeling, but perhaps heavier or stouter shafts may make these irons more enjoyable for these players. Some testers reported that either heavier shafts, or more weight in the clubhead and sole would make this club even better balanced. Mis-hits are almost not felt whatsoever - they are immeasurably forgiving, perhaps more so than most any other iron I've ever tried. The sole is well designed, and seems to 'glide' through turf, and also seems acceptable from tight or bad lies. I tested the club from several bad lies, as well as full shots out of sand bunkers, and the performance seemed very acceptable.

Distance of these irons seemed longer to me by about 1/2 to 1 club over my existing irons. The lofts appear pretty consistent to most modern irons, or perhaps 1 degree stronger than others. The short irons hit very high, and are very accurate. If you desire a cut/fade, or a draw/hook, you can easily change your setup and/or swing, and the club responds to the changes. I felt it was easier to simply aim at your target, and hit it straight, rather than trying to "work" the ball. Long irons will reward you with a long and piercing trajectory.

One thing I did notice about these irons is that they are very sensitive to your swingpath. What I mean by this is - if you have a steeper downswing, you will get higher, softer shots. If you swing with a rounder, flatter swing - you will get piercing, lower trajectories. I found that I could easily vary my trajectories by altering my swing. This is one of the first irons I've ever tested that I noticed this.

Conclusion

The Exotics irons are definitely a well engineered, beautiful set of irons, suitable for most any handicap player. They hit very straight, are controllable, and forgiving enough for even a beginner. The most resonating comment was the lightness of the overall club, shaft, and clubhead. Some players used to heavier, forged clubheads immediately noticed the lightness of the club. This might be easily remedied with a heavier shaft, but to maintain balance - lead tape may need to be added to the clubhead, for people preferring more headweight.

TourEdge has a very unique promotion for these irons. Their web link (below) will direct you to a secure ordering page to order and demo a 6-iron demo for a very reasonable price. If you are not satisfied, TourEdge will refund your money.

http://www.exoticsgolf.com/productpages/6ironpromo.asp

As with all TourEdge clubs - these irons are available with a lifetime warranty (including shafts). If you're looking for a premium set of irons, that is forgiving enough for any handicap level - they should be worth a look.