Games to play during practice

Driving range, short game, and putting green
I'm always looking for ways to focus more effectively and get more efficacy out of my practice sessions. Do any of you have some suggestions for different "game" scenarios that I could "play" while I practice?

I'm looking for some added ways to challenge myself on the driving range putting green and around the green as well (especially stuff that can help me utilize the see it-feel it-do it-learn pattern.

Thanks in advance :kewlpics:

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is a good drill if you're practicing with another person. On the short game practice area, have a friend set up a trouble situation and see who can hole-out in the least amount of strokes. The winner gets to pick the new trouble spot. This is a fun game that can help you improve your chances of getting up and down when in trouble situations.

KinG

Partners and penny bets are the best, but if you practice alone try some of these. Putting- Line up 6, 12, and 18 footers, then putt all 3 distances with 3 balls. Then do 5 pushups or sit-ups for every miss on a 6, 4 on a 12, etc. This will make you fitter and a much better putter. chips/pitches/bunker shots/etc.- throw balls into each spot and see how many strokes it takes you to get them all up and down. This is kind of like the TW video game skill scenarios. Then give the total on an excellent day a gold medal and some reward for your self, silver = good day = small prize, bronze = ok day = nothing either way, and no medal = bad day = workout. This may seem stupid but it will get you to play more realistically with something on the line, and will get you in killer shape if you go into a slump. Which, in my opinion, makes it easier to get out.

I work with my usual golfing partner and we go to lunch and hit balls to a certain target for sodas or lunch... i.e. 10 balls to the 50yd net, 10 balls to the hundred yard net etc... Whom has the most in the nets wins lunch or a soda that day. We also go to the putting green to putt and chip under the same format....

Fish

I'm the flipping queen of practicing by myself!! Here are a few ideas that I've picked up from some people that have helped me...

1) Pretend you are playing a real course.

- This could be Augusta, Pebble Beach, or your home course. Take out the club that you would use on the first hole. Picture the hole in the driving range. Hit the ball and move on to the next shot, pick your club and swing. Once you hit the green, you are done. Keep your score for 18 and see how you do. A little crazy I'll admit, but it does make the time pass.

2) Try to hit a target.

-Once you consistently get close, switch targets.

3) When you are practicing, start with your lowest club, move up until driver, and then go back to a sand or pitching wedge to get your tempo back.

4) Putting...

- Put your driver head in the hole and mark off where the end of the grip is with a tee, do this four times so that you have a cross around the hole. Then go back with your putter, put the head in the hole, and put a tee at the end of the grip, 4 times, so that you have a smaller cross that is inside of the other cross you've made. Go around and around until you get 20 short ones in a row. Then, go around and around until you have 20 long ones in a row. On your 19th and 39th putt, you are sweating!!

5) Short game (chipping and sand)

- What can I say, aim for a hole on the practice green and keep on hitting that shot until you make it into the hole, then switch. Do the same for sand shots.

This is the best practice game ever and can be done by yourself (but is more fun with a partner or even a 4-some).

I call it "scrambler's delight":

Go out on the course and play, 9 or 18 holes...the trick is that you CAN'T hit any of the greens in regulation. You have to aim short or long or whatever but you can't hit the green. Then you just keep score and see how many times you can get up and down. The kicker is that if you do hit the green in regulation (on accident of course) you add 2 strokes to your score for that hole.

This is still great work for your full swing since you'll still be aiming for a specific "miss" area so you don't get into too much trouble...but your short game practice is as realistic as it gets.

The trick is that when you're playing this way, you will always miss to the side that gives you the best chance of getting up and down. You'll never short side yourself on purpose....and this carries over to your regular rounds. As you build confidence in your short game from doing this drill / game you will make smarter decisions on the course when playing for real and you'll have tons of confidence in your short game so if you happen to miss a green....you'll just say, "no problem, I save par from there all the time".

This game has revolutionized my short game and has also helped me step up my course management to a higher level. Try it with a friend and see who is the better "scrambler".

If you try it, let me know what you think....

Ah yes another great on course game to help you out...

I call it "Going Low"

Play your home course from the Forward Tees once in a while. It will do two things for you:

1) It will teach you to "score"...since the course is easier, you should shoot lower scores which will help build your confidence so you can go low from the other tees.

2) It's a nice change of scenery. After playing the same course from the same tees over and over...it's refreshing to see the course from the Red Tees. You'll have many different options from the tee and you'll be hitting clubs you might not normally use in a round.

A lot of people are too caught up in Men's / Women's tees....there should be a rule that you play from the forward tees until you can shoot even par there....then you move back and play the next set until you can shoot even par, etc etc.

Why play the Black tees if you can't shoot par from the Reds? Play the Red's, shoot lower scores, and have more fun. I know...some people are too "manly" to hit from the Red tees but until you can say you've broken Par from there I think you oughtta give it a try.