2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

First round with a push cart

I think I am in love!!!
First a little background, I am 43 and a little overweight, I used to play high school golf and walked whenever I played. Well in the last decade or so the guys I golf with always use a cart. So I have just followed suite and started riding as well. A couple of weeks ago I was at my home course practicing and my nephew and 2 of his high school buddy’s walked in to play. I ended up playing with them and since they were walking I decided to as well. I carried my cart bag for nine holes and enjoyed the round but my back and shoulders were killing me. After replaying the round in my head a few times I decided that walking was what I wanted to do from now on. I had enjoyed the round and thought I played better because of the slower pace. I didnt feel rushed on my shots as I do when I ride.

I started looking for a push cart and found an Intech TriTrac at Wal-Mart that was an open box clearance item for $30. I figured why spend top dollar on one until I figure out if I am going to like it or not. The cart is actually pretty nice for $30. The only thing I wish it had was a brake but other than that it’s not bad at all.

So today I decide to play 9 and called up my neighbor to see if he wanted to go. He wanted to ride so I told him to go ahead but I was walking. Well I end up shooting even par and thoroughly enjoyed my round. It was the most relaxing round of golf I have had in over 10 years! My back and shoulder felt great and I just felt really good after the round. I had never really thought of using a cart but thanks to golfwrx my eyes have been opened to a lot of things! I guess all the years of pushing baby strollers around made it a very easy transition!

I was very impressed with how well the Intech Tritrac cart worked and now wonder what advantage a more expensive cart would give me. In this first round with the push cart I never ran into a spot that I would have needed a brake. How often do you guys that have carts with brakes, use them? I think I am trying to justify in my head why I need a nicer cart. So if anyone has any insight as to what the advantages are I would love to hear them.

Thanks

Joe

intech-tritrac-three-wheel-golf-cart.jpg

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

those carts are definitely more relaxing than carrying a bag...shoulders and legs stay fresh and you can really get in a nice groove...but i just cant use one...when i see them they just dont do it for me. i enjoy walking but i prefer to have a caddie. thats the best way to play. but if you dont feel akward using one, go for it.

Nice cart, walking is the way to go and don't get me started on which is better pull or push cart. i am also in my 40s and probably about 10-15 over my ideal weight.

there are many advantages and as many choices, just don't go overboard. i paid $99.00 for mine at Golfsmith (can't remember the model number or name), but it has inflatable tires, brake (which i do use all the time), a drink holder, compartment for tees, balls and folds to about 3ft sq.

play your game, enjoy the walk and never feel awkward.

917 D2 w/Diamana S+ 60g
Titleist 917F 15* w/Tour AD Di
Titleist 718 AP2s
Adams PNT v1 18* and v2 22*
Vokey SM5 46*
Vokey Cold Forged 52/10
Vokey SM6 Brushed Copper 56/08
Vokey TVD 60*
SC 009 Triple Skulls 350g

Why would you feel awkward using one? I look at like this..... The pro's dont carry their own bags so why should I? I cant afford a caddie so the cart is my best option. I think using the push cart is going to be better in the long run for my overall health. I still get my exercise walking without killing my back and shoulders. I am sold!

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)

i completely agree with you on the push cart. I started using a clicgear 2.0 this year and wow...my back is so much happier. Note: i use the brake all the time to avoid having the cart cruise down a slope or a hill away from me.

Ping G30 9.5*
Ping G25 4w, 3h
Mizuno MP 33 5i-PW
Mizuno MP T Series 53*, 58*
SC Studio Style Newport 2

I, too, prefer walking my rounds. I got a cart a while back from a yard sale (10 bucks) and I used to use it before I had a bag with backpack straps. Once I got my new bag all I do is carry. I'm 19 and have been backpacking for many years so it's just natural to have the straps on my back. The ruck marches in ROTC don't hurt either haha

I also forgot to mention how much I will enjoy saving money! I will be able to play more often because its about $7 extra average to ride for 9 holes on most of the courses around here. One of the courses I play at is better than average condition and they lowered rates this year and its $10 for 9 and $20 for 18 walking. How can you beat that?

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*

+1 on the push cart. I just got my ClicGear 2.0 this year and could not be happier.

As for your question regarding what you would gain by upgrading to more expensive cart, it looks like the brake, which comes in handy on hilly courses, would be the biggest. The other thing, and correct me if i'm wrong here, is adjustability. It looks like based on that picture that the handle is in a fixed position, whereas with the CG and SM carts the angle of the handle is adjustable. Maybe not a big deal, but worth mentioning. You also get other niceties such as umbrella tubes/holders and drink holders.

Personally I would never use a pull/push cart, but whatever makes you happy and improves healthy living, I am all for it. Another option I would suggest is one of the ultralight carry bags. I won an ultralight sun mountain bag for a long drive prize that weighs less than 3 lbs. I never thought I would use it, but decided to try it one time and wow! It was so nice. Plenty of room for everything you need, and with the dual strap, it literally feels like you are carrying an empty back pack. Very nice. A very good option for those on the fence.

+1 on the push cart. I just got my ClicGear 2.0 this year and could not be happier.

As for your question regarding what you would gain by upgrading to more expensive cart, it looks like the brake, which comes in handy on hilly courses, would be the biggest. The other thing, and correct me if i'm wrong here, is adjustability. It looks like based on that picture that the handle is in a fixed position, whereas with the CG and SM carts the angle of the handle is adjustable. Maybe not a big deal, but worth mentioning. You also get other niceties such as umbrella tubes/holders and drink holders.

The Handle is adjustable. Not all that far but it does help. I am pretty handy so i might be able to make some type of brake for it. It does not look to be very hard to do. I also might be selling my backup set of clubs and may buy a new cart with the cash. I am kind of liking the Bagboy 240. It Can be had for $129 at Rockbottomgolf. I only have the one round in with the current cart so I will wait and see how it goes. I think i'm in love but will wait a while before I marry it!

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*

I just used mine for the first time last night also and I really liked it. I have a Bagboy 240 that I got for $130 and it pushed great. Had an easy time getting my clubs out and back in with no problem. Like it that I can put on my head cover while walking and not lagging behind. Used the cup holder to hold my Skycaddie and worked out great. I would definitely would recommend this cart.

I use a ClicGear 2.0 and Love It! I like the fact that tires are solid, after years of cycling I don't want to worry about inflating tires before starting a round. The brake is a real necessity as today's carts roll so easily it doesn't take much to get them running downhill unattended.

I'm 57 yrs old, and love to walk a course. I also keep an ultra light carry bag in the car and quite frequently play a quick 9 carrying with 8-10 clubs in the bag.

After thinking about it, I think I found out why I play better when I walk. Here is my take on it...... I found that if I hit a bad shot half of my walk to the ball was being pissed off thinking about what i did wrong. The rest of the way to my ball was thinking about the next shot and what i was going to do with it. When riding I think you get to your ball so quick your still not done thinking about your bad shot. I also noticed I had more time to observe the layout of the course. When I ride it seems like I just fire at the pin and am not taking the time to see all of my options. So I guess it doesnt matter if you push or carry but walking is the better way to go.

Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*

those carts are definitely more relaxing than carrying a bag...shoulders and legs stay fresh and you can really get in a nice groove...but i just cant use one...when i see them they just dont do it for me. i enjoy walking but i prefer to have a caddie. thats the best way to play. but if you dont feel akward using one, go for it.

lol, "i perfer a caddy", yea i would perfer a chauffer instead of driving, but what are you gonna do?

I recently switched over to carts, I haven't walked 18 yet, but walking 9 is a breeze. I'm doing it more to save money though, at most of the courses I play at, it's a extra 13-20 for a cart. Big difference between a 22 dollar round and a 40 dollar round. Atleast for me.

Here in Australia, most everyone uses a push / pull cart. Only guys that want 15 beers per round and or are 25kg overweight and resort courses use drive carts.

Personally I love it, it is a really nice environment to enjoy a round and more social with your foursome. Plus I think you relax more with the walk. (The exercise doesn't hurt either)

This is what I push my Taylor Made TMX Stand bag on:

http://www.underpar.com.au/classic.aspx

:cheesy: :cheesy: At the guy - "personally I like to walk but prefer a caddy" Is this for real or do you bring your slave from the cotton farm?!

• 2 years later...

This Christmas my wife bought me the Tour Trek One-Click Collapsible Push Cart from Golfsmith. Since then I have had my best round, get much more exercise, have plenty of time to think about my shot, and enjoy nature/the course so much more. I thought the play would be very slow but I play a 7,000 yard course and play 18 in 2 1/2 to 3 hrs.