2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Anyone play different ball models during the same round?

Big D McGee

Howdy, all. For the past year or so, I've been experimenting with different balls, to see which suit my game best. I'm not quite ready for all the spin of a Pro V1, but I liked the soft feel. After much input from posters here, I've been playing the Pinnacle Exception and the Callaway HX Tour.

However, I only play the HX tour on par-3's where I really need to hold the green. I got the balls from my wife for Christmas, and I love 'em, but they scuff easily. Also, I'm not as good with them off the tee with a driver as I am with the Pinnacles.

So far, I've done very, very well alternating balls. I hit the Pinnacles long ans straight, and the Callaway balls give me control when the ball hits the green.

Anyone else alternate balls, or use different brands for different holes.

Oh, funny story: I had to whip out my Rules book the other day, because I was playing with a guy who INSISTED that you had to play an entire ROUND with the same ball, or take a penalty. I politely informed him that you have to play each HOLE with the same ball.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

i play either nxt tour, precept u-tri extra distance, nike ta-2, nike ignite, and top flite strata tour soft. i consider the nxt tour, precept and nike balls, more or less the same but i think the strata is super soft so i will pull it out for short holes and par 3. i only do this because i just have a mixture of ball. i could play a round with one and only one ball.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

Doesn't this cause you a lot of problems when you putt though?

I normally play Nike Platinum, but I don't think I could tell the difference between that and a ProV1 off my driver or most of my irons. I can easily identify tell them and many other balls apart when putting, and switching wouldn't be pretty in my case. That doesn't mean I don't carry "water balls" for the days when I can't get it together!

Hey Phil Mickelson is playing with two drivers. I guess it wouldn't be suprising to see players in the future picking different balls based on whether they're looking for roll or to drop and stop.

Be careful using more than 1 type (or model) of ball in competition. Most competitions enforce a "one ball rule" (Appendix I). It states:

If it is desired to prohibit changing brands and types of golf balls during a stipulated round, the following condition is recommended:

“Limitation on Balls Used During Round: (Note to Rule 5-1)

(i) One Ball Condition

During a stipulated round,the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and type as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.

Note: If a ball of a different brand and/or type is dropped or placed, it may be lifted, without penalty, and the player must then proceed by dropping or placing a proper ball (Rule 20-6).

PENALTY FOR BREACH OF CONDITION:

Match Play — At the conclusion of the hole at which the breach is discovered, the state of the match is adjusted by deducting one hole for each hole at which a breach occurred; maximum deduction per round — Two holes.

Stroke Play— Two strokes for each hole at which any breach occurred; maximum penalty per round — Four strokes.

(ii) Procedure When Breach Discovered

When a player discovers that he has played a ball in breach of this condition, he must abandon that ball before playing from the next teeing ground and complete the round using a proper ball; otherwise, the player is disqualified. If discovery is made during play of a hole and the player elects to substitutea proper ball before completing that hole, the player must place a proper ball on the spot where the ball used in breach of the condition lay.”

The key is a "stipulated round."

The "one ball rule" is a local rule that can be applied by the tournament committee. In my sunday game we certainly don't strictly enforce this rule but if we had someone changing balls depending on the type of hole they were playing I assume that it would quickly become the policy. Basically if somone loses a ball or something and the one they grab is not the same its no big deal but I think you should play the same ball each round. Last year we had a guy on our Saturday league that was teeing off with a hard ball and dropping a soft ball for the approach (they play "winter rules" in the fairways). He is a fairly good player that is a stickler for etiquitte (to an extreme) and can be a real slow pain in the rear to play with. I jumped all over him for what he was doing and he claimed to be trying to save his last couple ProV1's. Well he was doing it for 2 weeks so I did not buy it and have no respect for him anymore as a player. Pick a ball and learn to play it. If you are out there on your own without anything on the line then play different balls and learn to adapt to the one you like best.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick

The "one ball rule" is a local rule that can be applied by the tournament committee. In my sunday game we certainly don't strictly enforce this rule but if we had someone changing balls depending on the type of hole they were playing I assume that it would quickly become the policy. Basically if somone loses a ball or something and the one they grab is not the same its no big deal but I think you should play the same ball each round. Last year we had a guy on our Saturday league that was teeing off with a hard ball and dropping a soft ball for the approach (they play "winter rules" in the fairways).

I thought that even for "winter rules" the one ball rule is still in effect, and while you can mark, pick up, and clean a golf ball, you must still finish the hole out iwth the same golf ball unless it is lost in a hazard or damaged to extremely to continue to play.

At our member guest tourney they get the greens running super fast. Some older guys try to use a distance ball from tee to green and change to a soft ball on the surface. When I play in any tourney, except men's league, I only carry one ball so there isn't any chance of error. Men's league I use one ball, but I don't waste the time to go through my bag.

The "one ball rule" is a local rule that can be applied by the tournament committee. In my sunday game we certainly don't strictly enforce this rule but if we had someone changing balls depending on the type of hole they were playing I assume that it would quickly become the policy. Basically if somone loses a ball or something and the one they grab is not the same its no big deal but I think you should play the same ball each round. Last year we had a guy on our Saturday league that was teeing off with a hard ball and dropping a soft ball for the approach (they play "winter rules" in the fairways). He is a fairly good player that is a stickler for etiquitte (to an extreme) and can be a real slow pain in the rear to play with. I jumped all over him for what he was doing and he claimed to be trying to save his last couple ProV1's. Well he was doing it for 2 weeks so I did not buy it and have no respect for him anymore as a player. Pick a ball and learn to play it. If you are out there on your own without anything on the line then play different balls and learn to adapt to the one you like best.

That's not what I do. I would NEVER use one ball off the tee, then drop a different one for my approach or for putting. What I'm saying is, let's say hole #1 is a 402-yard par 4. I'll use a Pinnacle Exception for that hole. Hole #2 is a 185-yard par-3. I'll use a Callaway HX Tour for that hole, since I'm using an iron, which I can control better than my driver.

If I were in a tournament, I'd surely use the same type of ball for each round. What using 2 balls does for me is slowly allows me to adapt to the extra spin of a soft ball, yet it doesn't wreck my round completely. I see no problem with it.

During my league play, I always follow the one ball rule and use my gamer golf balls from tee to cup.

Unless I am playing a tournement, I often use a "putting" ball on the green. This is not done for advantage. I don't like spending the time on the green to clean my golfball. The only time I will switch brands is when I am playing a casual round with "leftovers" picked up during the season. I usually pick one "ball" for putting and play the spares until they are lost/damaged.

I DO hate to watch guy driving older balls off the tee, but use new pro v1 for putting. But on the other hand, with the advance in ball technology,

there is really no point to enforce 1-ball rule in an entire round. Otherwise, why spent milllions to lengthen already long Augusta, just ask everyone

to stick with Top*Flite.

In my regular Sunday game, I would use softer ball for p3 and short p4, older balls for hole with mountain groove and pond carry (they do carry

amazingly better than new pro v1s, hehe).

The "one ball rule" is a local rule that can be applied by the tournament committee. In my sunday game we certainly don't strictly enforce this rule but if we had someone changing balls depending on the type of hole they were playing I assume that it would quickly become the policy. Basically if somone loses a ball or something and the one they grab is not the same its no big deal but I think you should play the same ball each round. Last year we had a guy on our Saturday league that was teeing off with a hard ball and dropping a soft ball for the approach (they play "winter rules" in the fairways).

I thought that even for "winter rules" the one ball rule is still in effect, and while you can mark, pick up, and clean a golf ball, you must still finish the hole out iwth the same golf ball unless it is lost in a hazard or damaged to extremely to continue to play.

You are correct, I was just explaining how he could be switching balls. Summer rules....your not even touching it so there would be no way he could be doing it.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 2024 Ventus Blue
Callaway Ai Smoke Max 2024 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 19deg hyb Blue Ventus HB

Ping G430 22 deg hyl Blue Ventus HB
Mizuno Pro 245 5-pw Axiom 105s
Mizuno S23 50-54-58 
LAB DF2.1 Broomstick