2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Tour Striker

filthee

Hey Martin, just discovered and finally get how to hit down.... get to impact with a bent left wrist! (for a lefty) My right wrist is already straight thanks to Swingyde. This summer, I'm completely perfecting my swing for 24 days and finally have a Tour-level swing with a Tour-impact position. And maybe start winning some tournaments :yahoo:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1308371640' post='3316094']
Hey Martin, just discovered and finally get how to hit down.... get to impact with a bent left wrist! (for a lefty) My right wrist is already straight thanks to Swingyde. This summer, I'm completely perfecting my swing for 24 days and finally have a Tour-level swing with a Tour-impact position. And maybe start winning some tournaments :yahoo:
[/quote]
Atta boy Frankie! Keep grinding and you'll win some events.

[quote name='straightshort' timestamp='1308420400' post='3316868']
Ok, My swing speed is about 90-95 with driver, hcp around 16, big flipper here but getting better with lag pressure.
I can't find any ts pro reg on the internet.
1) would a stiff do?
2) would an 8 non-pro do?
Or, time frame for more in stock?
thanks
[/quote]

The r shaft will be available again in July. Sorry about that! You'd do well w the wedge, 8 or 7 pro.

Martin: You've got a great idea here. Bought a medium bucket yesterday and was DETERMINED not to cheat. I stomped down the turf for a good few minutes so as not to be tempted to fluff my lie and fool myself into hitting good shots. Hit a few out of the bare dirt after I'd cleaned out a nice square.

Out of that medium bucket, I probably hit good shots with 1 out of every 4 or 5 swings. Enough where I wasn't completely discouraged and I can't wait to get back at it. My consistency sucks - I know for sure that I did not make 2 good full swings in a row, but the 9-to-3 action produced a few good ones back to back.

One thing that was readily apparent that you said on your DVD is that when I make the correct motion and hit a good shot with this club, I am hitting the ball pretty hard, but it does not feel that way. Balance -- what a concept... biggrin.gif There is no way to hit good shots with this club by coming OTT, so with some concentrated effort, I will rid myself of that move once and for all. I am also pretty flexible and I have a tendency to get way too long with my backswing. This club did not permit that. When I get long, I can see the clubhead out of the corner of my left eye, and at least on this first session, the worms and snakes in front of me were quaking with fear every time I saw the clubhead out of my left eye. Impossible for me to hit a good shot from an over-long backswing.

Another point I noticed - I could not really draw or fade this club very much. I did not try that hard, but at least in the first session, it was either good contact and a straight ball, a worm-burner / snake-killer, or close to a shank. I do not think that's good or bad, and I will certainly take a straight ball biggrin.gif, but just an observation.

2011 will be the summer to end picking and flipping. Now, do you have any ideas for a Tour Striker driver? laugh.gif That is where my real issues are... biggrin.gif

I'm glad you enjoyed your session!

I am working on the driver, right now! I'm excited about it. Not sure it pencils business wise. I would have to charge $179 for it. Might be too spend for a training club.

[quote name='DaveLeeNC' timestamp='1308240117' post='3311938']
I'm guessing that the correct answer to my question is 'you'll just have to try it".

I am a 5-6 handicapper with a 'marginal' impact position. It isn't what I wish it was, however my shaft at impact is definitely not leaning backwards. But even with the short irons it is barely leaning forward. IOW, I am a little bit flippy (but hardly the poster child for a 'bad flip').

The TS seems like it might be a useful tool for me (and I am a practice hound). However, I am guessing that, with my swing, what I will naturally tend to do with the TS is simply learn to better time my flip. IMHO (have never tried it) I can hit the ball with my swing using a TS - I just have to get the timing EXACTLY right. While it probably would be a useful tool for finding a better impact position, I'm not sure that it will 'force that issue'.

I've attached a pic of a 3i (hybrid) impact position to give folks a feel for what I am talking about.

What do folks think here? If I go the TS route wihich club should I chose?

Thanks.

dave
[attachment=804029:FaceOn.jpg]
[/quote]

Call around and find a demo. You can certainly go w the Pro models.

[quote name='lunkerking' timestamp='1308447408' post='3317697']
just got my tour striker pro, took it to the range and I am pretty impressed. One question, wouldnt it be possible to hit the tour striker with a high ball flight if it was hit off a tee or a fluffy lie even if your hands were not in front of the clubhead?

thanks.
[/quote]
Yes, very easily. That is why the tightest lie you can find is prescribed. If you can get a lie board and hit off of that placed on a mat you should be in business. Or hit off the most tightly mown grass you can find.

My work (with and without the TS) is paying off. Thanks for all the help/advice Martin. Shot an 88 today. (I'm a 23 handicap). My first round this year breaking 90. Player very early (5:30 AM) and wasn't great the first 6 holes (11 over) but the last 12 I was awesome (6 over with 5 straight pars, 6 total pars and a birdie!)

Gonna keep at it - I want to be breaking 90 consistently by the end of the year and see some rounds in the low 80s. Thanks again!

Jason

Ping G30 Tour 65
Callaway XR Pro 3 Wood
Callaway Xhot 3 and 4 Hybrid
Callaway XR 5-AW - Recoil 680 F4 shafts
Vokey 60 degree
STX Putter

Hey Martin,,

Having great ball striking improvement this year as a result of a lot of work in my basement with the TS wedge . . . .

Ball striking has def. improved . . . . Shot some 73s already this year and have shot some 33s for 9 holes . . . . looking for some sub 70 rounds this year!

BTW - the accelorator attachment you sent me has become a mainstay for my putting and chipping!

Thanks,
Ed

[quote name='lunkerking' timestamp='1308593303' post='3321646']
Having trouble hitting anything but a weak cut with the striker 7 iron? any tips? I have never been able to hit a wedge properly. I have a well timed flip and shoot mid 80s.

[/quote]

. . . NO DOUBT - it's a tough switch from pick flipping to lag/compressing a ball . . . . .

watch Martins videos on this post and on the TS website . . . . also, checkout martins youtube page . . . . lots of good videos. Once you grasp the concept of lagging the clubhead into the impact zone while making a good pivot, it's just a matter of practice practice practice with the TS.

In the immortal words of [b]Winston Churchill, [/b] "Never, never, never, [b]never give up"
[/b]
TS training aids have worked for me.

Having trouble hitting anything but a weak cut with the striker 7 iron? any tips? I have never been able to hit a wedge properly. I have a well timed flip and shoot mid 80s.

[/quote]

That is fairly common. You are now introducing forward lean with your "old" grip. Now you are arriving at impact with an open face to your path, or a push cut. In the DVD, I talk about building your grip with the idea of impact in mind (which is usually stronger than most people realize). Now, with the new grip, which modifies the face, the added lean helps strike the ball further.

[quote name='bath4golf' timestamp='1308610448' post='3322548']

[/quote]

. . . NO DOUBT - it's a tough switch from pick flipping to lag/compressing a ball . . . . .

watch Martins videos on this post and on the TS website . . . . also, checkout martins youtube page . . . . lots of good videos. Once you grasp the concept of lagging the clubhead into the impact zone while making a good pivot, it's just a matter of practice practice practice with the TS.

In the immortal words of [b]Winston Churchill, [/b] "Never, never, never, [b]never give up"
[/b]
[/quote]

Ed, thanks for the nice comments. I'm glad you are playing well. That is awesome.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1308611051' post='3322568']

[/quote]

That is fairly common. You are now introducing forward lean with your "old" grip. Now you are arriving at impact with an open face to your path, or a push cut. In the DVD, I talk about building your grip with the idea of impact in mind (which is usually stronger than most people realize). Now, with the new grip, which modifies the face, the added lean helps strike the ball further.

[quote name='bath4golf' timestamp='1308610448' post='3322548']

[/quote]

In the immortal words of [b]Winston Churchill, [/b]"Never, never, never, [b]never give up"
[/b]
[/quote]

Ed, thanks for the nice comments. I'm glad you are playing well. That is awesome.
[/quote]

Thanks Martin . . . . Irons and wedges are really good this year . . . lots of spin (sometimes too much - spinning shots off of greens on front pins) . TS wedge has helped a ton with 30-60 yard half shots . . . amazing how I now get lots of spin on a 30 yard pitch shot.

I really need to find a place where I can practice my chipping, Practice facilities aren't the greatest around here. . . . just basic driving ranges. My chips are all crisp, but sometimes the checkup and sometimes not (depends on the lie).

BTW - did i see you are releasing a driver club . . . . what's the concept?

I really need to find a place to practice my sh

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1ERjte3huI[/media]

Here's an example of a guy who lagged it too much for his current body participation. Lovely look on the left screen, but he couldn't find the world with the driver. Adding in a little "throw" helped him arrive with a better face to path relationship. I'm sure I could have given him a hook bias driver with more loft, but didn't have one handy. Besides, this driver (Cleveland something or other) had no problem hitting it left when I tried it.

Believe me, this is "the last resort" when I'm coaching someone.

Hey Martin, wanted to get back you on the bent left wrist and straight right wrist at impact, I haven't practiced on it for the first time yet, because I'm in London right now (going to Paris in 4 hours :rolleyes:) but I'm a little skeptical about it, it is possible to have a bent left wrist with a rather bowed right wrist (for a lefty) instead of straight, which I wanted. Is there any wrist aid you recommend that teaches a bent left wrist at impact with a straight right wrist? Like that Accelerator aid you created?

Martin, things are still going pretty well with the TS, the one thing I can't figure out is why I can't get the same trajectory with my irons that I get with the TS. The local club here has a practice hole that's about 110 yds long. I have been hitting the TS on that hole with 3/4(with what seems to me like half effort) "spinning wedge" type pitch shots with pretty good results, sometimes fantastic results, have almost holed at least one of these each session with the TS. Then I alternate with my clubs(W/S FG-51's) trying to make the same swing with very mixed results. I can tell Im getting better contact with my clubs once I warm up like that with the TS, but the trajectory is still much more loopy and I have to put more effort in to reach the green. I'm pretty sure I'm getting to the ball with a forward shaft lean and making scrapes in front of the ball with my clubs when I get it right, but just cant get that same trajectory, even if I go up to six iron. So my question is: Is there more going on with the TS then just achieving the forward shaft lean at impact? Like does the club have a really high C.O.G.? Or am I just hitting ever so slightly "bladed" shots every time with the TS and that big flange is allowing me too pull off some great punch shots?
I find the same thing when comparing my 55*(Ram fx) to the TS 56*. Even hitting balls sitting up in two to three inch rough, I can't hit a loopy "floater" like I always seem to do with every other club. Not that that's a bad thing, just trying to figure out why. At any rate, I think I'm getting addicted to that trajectory because it's oh so nice! lol

Edit: I meant V.C.O.G.

I have the Tour Striker Pro 7 iron. I am learning how to hit it from watching videos and thus far it looks like quite a challenge. I know the 7 iron is a mid range iron. Do I really need to purchase the Tour Striker 5 iron and/or the Tour Striker wedges or is the 7 iron enough?

Taylormade M2 10.5* // Tensei Pro Orange 6S
Taylormade M3 15* // Tensei Pro Orange 7s
Taylormade M3 Rescue // Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85HY
Srixon z565 4-PW // Nippon Modus Tour 120
Titleist Vokey SM 52*
Titleist Vokey SM 58*
Scotty Cameron 350g Milspec

Time to give another ringing endorsement of the TS Pro. I've been putting in a lot of practice lately and starting each session with the 7-iron TS Pro. Remembering the quadrant drill in the video had led to a nice ball contact that goes high in the air then switching to my regular clubs gives a lot of solid hits.

Within the last 2 weeks the practice has paid off. I came within 5 inches of my first HIO 2 weeks ago then today hit a pitching wedge from 96 yards that took one bounce then hit the flagstick and landed 1 inch from the hole which would have been my first eagle had it gone in. Martin has stated before that a golfer has logged 4 HIO's after using the TS Pro and I figure that it is only a matter of time before I get my first of both.

[quote name='squishyy' timestamp='1308701107' post='3325581']
I have the Tour Striker Pro 7 iron. I am learning how to hit it from watching videos and thus far it looks like quite a challenge. I know the 7 iron is a mid range iron. Do I really need to purchase the Tour Striker 5 iron and/or the Tour Striker wedges or is the 7 iron enough?
[/quote]

I own the 7i and wedge, and am glad I have both. They are different enough that between the two that you can carry what you learn to nearly every club in your bag. I have a friend who just bought a 5i after trying my 7i and loving it. (He would probably be better off with a 7X, but they don't carry them in the stores around here, and I think he got impatient.) Anyway, I got to borrow his 5i and hit some shots with it. IMO, there isn't a ton of difference between the 7 and 5; I think the 5 is a little harder to hit well than the 7. For me, they are close enough that you would probably be fine with having just one or the other. I might end up getting the 5i one of these days, but it isn't a high priority for me.

As for the wedge, I think it's a must-have. My short game really needs more work than my mid-irons, and the wedge is great for hitting less-than-full shots. I may actually go dig the old lob wedge out of mothballs, since I think I have a chance at being able to use it well now...

My advice is to start with the 7 or the wedge, depending on which facet of your game you think needs the most help. But I predict that end up buying the other one pretty quickly, after you have a chance to work with the first and see how it helps your game.

[quote name='bamboobender' timestamp='1308675890' post='3324529']
Martin, things are still going pretty well with the TS, the one thing I can't figure out is why I can't get the same trajectory with my irons that I get with the TS. The local club here has a practice hole that's about 110 yds long. I have been hitting the TS on that hole with 3/4(with what seems to me like half effort) "spinning wedge" type pitch shots with pretty good results, sometimes fantastic results, have almost holed at least one of these each session with the TS. Then I alternate with my clubs(W/S FG-51's) trying to make the same swing with very mixed results. I can tell Im getting better contact with my clubs once I warm up like that with the TS, but the trajectory is still much more loopy and I have to put more effort in to reach the green. I'm pretty sure I'm getting to the ball with a forward shaft lean and making scrapes in front of the ball with my clubs when I get it right, but just cant get that same trajectory, even if I go up to six iron. So my question is: Is there more going on with the TS then just achieving the forward shaft lean at impact? Like does the club have a really high C.O.G.? Or am I just hitting ever so slightly "bladed" shots every time with the TS and that big flange is allowing me too pull off some great punch shots?
I find the same thing when comparing my 55*(Ram fx) to the TS 56*. Even hitting balls sitting up in two to three inch rough, I can't hit a loopy "floater" like I always seem to do with every other club. Not that that's a bad thing, just trying to figure out why. At any rate, I think I'm getting addicted to that trajectory because it's oh so nice! lol

[/quote]

The CG is very high. I'm working on a set of TS irons. I can't tell you how many folks have noticed the trajectory difference, even on strikes well up the face. The proto 7 iron I have been testing has a TS bottom, albeit mild, and a high cg. The shots do penetrate nicely. I'm going to test the PW next. The prototypes are expensive as they are "one offs." I thought I had an original weighting concept to a highly refined TS style head only to find out the IP is solidly protected. I'm trying to work with the guy who holds the patent. We'll see.

You might add a little lead tape to the back, top of the blade and see if that helps you.

Cheers,

MC

[quote name='squishyy' timestamp='1308701107' post='3325581']
[/quote]

The 7 is enough to learn on. If you still find you can't control your hands with the half shots, you might consider adding the wedge. Thanks for trying the 7 and good luck.

[quote name='Golfinnova' timestamp='1308707885' post='3325854']
Time to give another ringing endorsement of the TS Pro. I've been putting in a lot of practice lately and starting each session with the 7-iron TS Pro. Remembering the quadrant drill in the video had led to a nice ball contact that goes high in the air then switching to my regular clubs gives a lot of solid hits.

Within the last 2 weeks the practice has paid off. I came within 5 inches of my first HIO 2 weeks ago then today hit a pitching wedge from 96 yards that took one bounce then hit the flagstick and landed 1 inch from the hole which would have been my first eagle had it gone in. Martin has stated before that a golfer has logged 4 HIO's after using the TS Pro and I figure that it is only a matter of time before I get my first of both.
[/quote]

Awesome! Glad you are striking the ball better. That fellow with the HIO run was unbelievable. I haven't heard from him in months, so he must have cooled off a bit:)

[quote name='golfdu' timestamp='1308666632' post='3324085']
Hey Martin, wanted to get back you on the bent left wrist and straight right wrist at impact, I haven't practiced on it for the first time yet, because I'm in London right now (going to Paris in 4 hours :rolleyes:) but I'm a little skeptical about it, it is possible to have a bent left wrist with a rather bowed right wrist (for a lefty) instead of straight, which I wanted. Is there any wrist aid you recommend that teaches a bent left wrist at impact with a straight right wrist? Like that Accelerator aid you created?
[/quote]

Frankie, there are a couple of good gizmos for "Dynamic" wrist awareness. I like the Tac Tic and the Power Click. The "Educator" is still a ways out from being available for sale. I'd say two more months.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1308977581' post='3334225']

[/quote]

The CG is very high. I'm working on a set of TS irons. I can't tell you how many folks have noticed the trajectory difference, even on strikes well up the face. The proto 7 iron I have been testing has a TS bottom, albeit mild, and a high cg. The shots do penetrate nicely. I'm going to test the PW next. The prototypes are expensive as they are "one offs." I thought I had an original weighting concept to a highly refined TS style head only to find out the IP is solidly protected. I'm trying to work with the guy who holds the patent. We'll see.

You might add a little lead tape to the back, top of the blade and see if that helps you.

Cheers,

MC
[/quote]
If you do come up with a marketable set like that, I'd definitely be interested in them, along with a lot of others, I bet. I have used lead tape to raise the vcog of an iron, but it took a lot to make a real change. It made the club super heavy, but it did work pretty good with a short iron like a wedge. I was able to get the lower trajectory, but it would be far too heavy for any longer clubs. I have often thought of just drilling some holes in the bottom of an old blade to remove some weight and then using lead tape to raise the vcog but keep the overall weight around the same. I haven't done it yet because I don't have the tools needed to make accurate adjustments like that to a whole set. I might do it though just to mess around with it. I have also thought of taking a 1-pw set of x-31's that I got off ebay for ten bucks, fill in the numbers with epoxy, and then change the numbers so they read 3-lw. lol

[quote name='bamboobender' timestamp='1309014970' post='3334647']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1308977581' post='3334225']

[/quote]

Cheers,

MC
[/quote]
If you do come up with a marketable set like that, I'd definitely be interested in them, along with a lot of others, I bet. I have used lead tape to raise the vcog of an iron, but it took a lot to make a real change. It made the club super heavy, but it did work pretty good with a short iron like a wedge. I was able to get the lower trajectory, but it would be far too heavy for any longer clubs. I have often thought of just drilling some holes in the bottom of an old blade to remove some weight and then using lead tape to raise the vcog but keep the overall weight around the same. I haven't done it yet because I don't have the tools needed to make accurate adjustments like that to a whole set. I might do it though just to mess around with it. I have also thought of taking a 1-pw set of x-31's that I got off ebay for ten bucks, fill in the numbers with epoxy, and then change the numbers so they read 3-lw. lol
[/quote]

That is funny. I hope my set can get to market. We'll see how the IP stuff goes.

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1309068746' post='3336045']
[quote name='rl4673' timestamp='1309026486' post='3334902']
Where can I get the DVD? Bought the TS from GG and it didn't come with one?
[/quote]

The video is available for free viewing at www.tourstriker.com. if you want a copy call TS customer service.
[/quote]

Thanks, Martin.

I'm watching you on TV now was I type this. Infomercial is on Golf Channel. :good:

Played today and discovered DOWNSIDE to working with TS (not really though) . . . . . . new distances!

# 3 - 140yds out - normal 8 iron - - - - hit it 155 over green

#5 - hit sand wedge (56*) - - - - hit it 100 yds to back of green

#8 - 150 to middle of green - hit 7 iron 170 over green

#12 - 180 yd par 3 . . . . normal 4 iron ------ hit the 4 195 over green

#15 - 160 out . . . . normal 6i . . . . hit it 180 over the green

#17 - 180 yd par 3 (back pin) . . . . starting to get it by now - decided to hit less club - tried my normal 170 club (5i) . . . . hit it 185 over green

#18 - hit LW 85 yds 15 ft past pin - missed putt!

tough problem to have ;)