New Sonartec Wedges

Putt4doh

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To sum it up in a few words or less, Sonartec has a winner on their hands with this wedge. I have a couple of the handmade proto's and they're right up there with the other "high performance" wedges that are available today...RAC TP's, Vokey Spin Milled's, Cally X-Tours, etc.

Obviously, the first thing that's going to appeal to you when you see this wedge is the grind. It's truly unique when comparing it to other "off the shelf" wedges. And yes, it's extremely versatile as well. Deep rough, sand and firm fairways were not an issue at all. I was able to perform a variety of shots with this wedge w/o any problem. At address, the wedge is very clean looking and the raw finish is icing on the cake.

Performance wise, I'm not sure how the handmade proto's compare to the retail version, but the ones I have DO NOT have the milled faces. I have been informed that the grooves on the handmades are more aggressive so take that into consideration when reading.

Overall, these babies are SHARP (pun intended) and have an incredibly soft feel to them. The Yo-Yo grooves indeed live up to the expectation, but then again, what high performance wedge hasn't? My guess is that since 'Y-Cutter' and 'Mack Daddy' were already being used, 'Yo-Yo' was the next best marketing strategy. I didn't have any excessive issues with ball shredding...just your average marks after full swings. They definitely put some spin on the ball and check nicely around the green. Oh yeah, did I mention these were SOFT?

My two "complaints" (if you want to even call it that) is 1.) the wedges are only available in 52/56/60 degree lofts at this time. Yes, I know Chip Usher has a handful of 54/58's, but for someone that wants to buy one off the shelf, they're S.O.L. until the demand for these goes up. 2.) The lofts/lies listed need to be checked. My 52° was 3° weak and 2° upright while my 60° was 2° strong. I guess with softness comes a price.

Am I satisfied with Sonartec's latest venture into the wedge arena? You bet. Will your average golfer know what you're talking about when you mention the T35 Wedge? Probably not.

As I mentioned in my first sentence, Sonartec has a winner on their hands here folks, but marketing is going to be their biggest problem.

To sum it up in a few words or less, Sonartec has a winner on their hands with this wedge. I have a couple of the handmade proto's and they're right up there with the other "high performance" wedges that are available today...RAC TP's, Vokey Spin Milled's, Cally X-Tours, etc.

Obviously, the first thing that's going to appeal to you when you see this wedge is the grind. It's truly unique when comparing it to other "off the shelf" wedges. And yes, it's extremely versatile as well. Deep rough, sand and firm fairways were not an issue at all. I was able to perform a variety of shots with this wedge w/o any problem. At address, the wedge is very clean looking and the raw finish is icing on the cake.

Performance wise, I'm not sure how the handmade proto's compare to the retail version, but the ones I have DO NOT have the milled faces. I have been informed that the grooves on the handmades are more aggressive so take that into consideration when reading.

Overall, these babies are SHARP (pun intended) and have an incredibly soft feel to them. The Yo-Yo grooves indeed live up to the expectation, but then again, what high performance wedge hasn't? My guess is that since 'Y-Cutter' and 'Mack Daddy' were already being used, 'Yo-Yo' was the next best marketing strategy. I didn't have any excessive issues with ball shredding...just your average marks after full swings. They definitely put some spin on the ball and check nicely around the green. Oh yeah, did I mention these were SOFT?

My two "complaints" (if you want to even call it that) is 1.) the wedges are only available in 52/56/60 degree lofts at this time. Yes, I know Chip Usher has a handful of 54/58's, but for someone that wants to buy one off the shelf, they're S.O.L. until the demand for these goes up. 2.) The lofts/lies listed need to be checked. My 52° was 3° weak and 2° upright while my 60° was 2° strong. I guess with softness comes a price.

Am I satisfied with Sonartec's latest venture into the wedge arena? You bet. Will your average golfer know what you're talking about when you mention the T35 Wedge? Probably not.

As I mentioned in my first sentence, Sonartec has a winner on their hands here folks, but marketing is going to be their biggest problem.

sakman,

thanks for the nice review. are we talking mizuno soft on these things? are you actually playing them currently ... if not, how come?

sakman,

thanks for the nice review. are we talking mizuno soft on these things? are you actually playing them currently ... if not, how come?

No problem Mike. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to try the Mizuno wedges so I cannot give you a comparison...yet. If they're anything like Mizzy irons, then yes, they're that soft. I'll see what I can snag this weekend and post a follow up for you.

The reason I'm not playing them is because of these beauties that Kwok put together for me...

Joey K Art

I'll add one more complaint to the list. These are the first wedges to come out in several years that makes me sad to be a lefty! :D So what I need all you guys to do is go out and buy as many of these things that you can afford. That way Sonartec will be more likely to 1) release them to your southpaw friends and 2) release the wedges with more variety of lofts and bounces.

As for the lofts--I've been tweeking 52* and 60*'s for a while now to achieve the 53/58 combo. But I can almost see myself going to a full 52/56/60 spread for these wedges. They shore is perdy. :idhitit:

beruo

:hi:

sakman,

No problem Mike. Unfortunately, I have not had a chance to try the Mizuno wedges so I cannot give you a comparison...yet. If they're anything like Mizzy irons, then yes, they're that soft. I'll see what I can snag this weekend and post a follow up for you.

The reason I'm not playing them is because of these beauties that Kwok put together for me...

Joey K Art

... ahh yes, that's joe's 'm' grind, correct? looks really good. now, i know those aren't as soft as the sonartecs. regarding mizuno wedge feel ... i find it the same as the irons ... basically my standard for comparing against 'the softest'.