2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Which GPS to go with?!

I am really having a tough time deciding on which GPS to upgrade to. I have been using a GolfLogix for a few years but am now looking for more functionality including graphics. So I go back and forth looking at all of the reviews and comments. I easily narrowed it down to 3: the SGX, the GolfBuddy Platinum, or possibly the UPro. But given everything I see out there all have pluses and minuses. I wish the decision could be easier by one clearly standing out! With the long term history SkyCaddie has and now that they have finally (hopefully) resolved most of their issues with the SGX I am leaning toward that one. Any help would be appreciated! I may end up just waiting a bit longer for the next versions of these units and keep using my existing unit. Thanks in advance folks.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would include the garmin Approach G5 in your search. I've owned all the skycaddies (except the SGX), and I like the G5 better. I really like the touch screen functionality along with the all the courses loaded on the unit.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 Aldila RIP 70x
Titleist 913F 15 Diamana 82 s
Titleist 913H 17 Phenom x
Titleist 714 CB 3-9 X100
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport 2
Titleist Vokey Raw Black SM5 46, 54, 58

I love and use the Bushnell XGC. Here are some reasons why:

[b]Price
XGC
Unit Cost[/b]: $249.99
[b]1 yr membership/100 courses[/b] (Whichever happens 1st): $35
[b]Total for 1st year: $285[/b][b]

SGX[/b]
Unit Cost: $400
1st year: $60 (US with Maps)
[b]Total for 1st year: $460[/b]

[b]Golf Buddy Platinum [/b]
[b]Unit Cost/total cost: $400[/b]
No additional fees

[b]Membership[/b]
XGC- You own any courses you download (I can get 100 in the first year and I am set for life)
SGX- $60 a year for life of product (Yr1-$460, Yr2-$520, Yr3-$580)
GBPlat- $0 (This is nice)

[b]Size
XGC- [/b]Smallest
[b]SGX[/b]- Largest
[b]GBPlat[/b]- Middle (Kinda bulky)

[b]Maps[/b]
The map resolution/detail on the XGC is in between the other two mentioned. The size of image database is also much larger on the XGC than the other two which is nice since I haven't found a course not available.

[b]Battery Life
[/b]16 hours on the XGC is much more than either above.

[b]Preloaded
[/b]The XGC (after I sent it in for $8 upgrade) is now pre-loaded with every course (Front, center and back, plus hazards)
SGX- Pre loaded with Front, center and back (Have to pay membership to keep these points)
GBPlat- Preloaded with above and the course maps/images available (Smallish number from what I have seen)

Overall, the XGC is a pretty sleek unit. I haven't had any issues with it.

Thanks--I'll take a look at the Approach G5 and the Bushnell unit as well as I had not considered those.

[quote name='slash77' date='18 July 2010 - 09:08 PM' timestamp='1279505287' post='2584723']
I would include the garmin Approach G5 in your search. I've owned all the skycaddies (except the SGX), and I like the G5 better. I really like the touch screen functionality along with the all the courses loaded on the unit.
[/quote]

[quote name='DaveFLGolfer' date='18 July 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1279489633' post='2584146']
I am really having a tough time deciding on which GPS to upgrade to. I have been using a GolfLogix for a few years but am now looking for more functionality including graphics. So I go back and forth looking at all of the reviews and comments. I easily narrowed it down to 3: the SGX, the GolfBuddy Platinum, or possibly the UPro. But given everything I see out there all have pluses and minuses. I wish the decision could be easier by one clearly standing out! With the long term history SkyCaddie has and now that they have finally (hopefully) resolved most of their issues with the SGX I am leaning toward that one. Any help would be appreciated! I may end up just waiting a bit longer for the next versions of these units and keep using my existing unit. Thanks in advance folks.
[/quote]

Keep the Golflogix for now. You are right, none of them do stand out, especially at the prices they want for them.

I just got my first GPS after being a laser guy for several years. I got a refurb Garmin G5 and like it a lot. The Skycaddie SGX might be a marginally better unit, but I did not want any recurring fees. The Garmin is now free, and the SC would have been $50/year every year. My buddy has the Skycaddie and loves it ..... he doesn't mind the yearly fee.

[quote name='DaveFLGolfer' date='19 July 2010 - 09:16 PM' timestamp='1279588602' post='2586975']
Thanks--I'll take a look at the Approach G5 and the Bushnell unit as well as I had not considered those.

[quote name='slash77' date='18 July 2010 - 09:08 PM' timestamp='1279505287' post='2584723']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[size="4"]Can't go wrong with the G5. The Bushnell XGC is a bubba unit supported by IGolf. Had one of the first units when IGolf was selling them. What a waste of money. People can say all they want about how great they are & what they can do, they still have the smallest screen of any unit. It's about the size of a cell phone battery & the graphics don't fill it up. Sold the XGC 3 weeks after I bought it ( spent a week in transit back to IGolf because the battery cover broke) & bought the G5. It's the best!![/size]

[quote name='friscoloco' timestamp='1279579929' post='2586664']

[b]Price
XGC

SGX[/b]

No additional fees

[b]Membership[/b]
XGC- You own any courses you download (I can get 100 in the first year and I am set for life)

[b]Size
XGC- [/b]Smallest
[b]SGX[/b]- Largest

[b]Maps[/b]
The map resolution/detail on the XGC is in between the other two mentioned. The size of image database is also much larger on the XGC than the other two which is nice since I haven't found a course not available.

[b]Battery Life

[b]Preloaded
[/b]The XGC (after I sent it in for $8 upgrade) is now pre-loaded with every course (Front, center and back, plus hazards)
SGX- Pre loaded with Front, center and back (Have to pay membership to keep these points)
GBPlat- Preloaded with above and the course maps/images available (Smallish number from what I have seen)

[/quote]

SkyCaddie SG3.5
Unit Cost (Certified Pre-owned): $170 (Open box):$210 (New):$250 or less
Membership: $50 (covers US with unlimited maps)
Total first year cost: $230 / $260 / $300 or less

The SG3.5 is a great deal, stable, and an excellent GPS for a first time user. Thanks to the SGX trading program, there are a lot of used units available, so the certified pre-owned would be a good route.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1280153728' post='2599542']
[quote name='friscoloco' timestamp='1279579929' post='2586664']

[b]Price
XGC

SGX[/b]

No additional fees

[b]Membership[/b]

[b]Size
XGC- [/b]Smallest
[b]SGX[/b]- Largest

[b]Maps[/b]

[b]Battery Life

[b]Preloaded

[/quote]

SkyCaddie SG3.5
Unit Cost (Certified Pre-owned): $170 (Open box):$210 (New):$250 or less
Membership: $50 (covers US with unlimited maps)
Total first year cost: $230 / $260 / $300 or less

The SG3.5 is a great deal, stable, and an excellent GPS for a first time user. Thanks to the SGX trading program, there are a lot of used units available, so the certified pre-owned would be a good route.

[/quote]

Golfsmith and Amazon have the Sg3.5 on sale for $199.00 with free shipping ( no sales tax with Amazon). I recently upgraded to the 3.5 from the 2.5 and like the bigger color screen with the green slopes highlighted., really helpful to me. The one thing I would like to mention while I am at it is all the complaining about the yearly membership. I for one find the price negligible( less than 3 bucks a month) for what it offers considering that I will go out and spend $40 + on a dozen balls and lose half of them in a few rounds. I chalk it up as a cost that I incur for playing a game that I really enjoy ( sometimes not); and having all the gadgets makes it better for me.

[quote name='hook_or_slice' timestamp='1279752846' post='2591137']
[quote name='DaveFLGolfer' date='18 July 2010 - 05:47 PM' timestamp='1279489633' post='2584146']
I am really having a tough time deciding on which GPS to upgrade to. I have been using a GolfLogix for a few years but am now looking for more functionality including graphics.[/quote]

Keep the Golflogix for now. You are right, none of them do stand out, especially at the prices they want for them.
[/quote]
I too have been tempted by the more feature-laden units. I have played with most and feel the uPro and Garmin are the best… and have played a round with both. You may find my conclusions surprising.

[b]GolfLogix[/b]
Pros: Build quality and simplicity. For the most part I keep it in a cupholder mount or clipped to my bag and rarely have to touch it for the entire round. My playing partner can also see the numbers even from the other seat, even with sunglasses.

Cons: Numbers only, but plenty of numbers… to/over hazards, 150-125-100 layups, end of fairway, front-center-back of green.

[b]uPro[/b]
Pros: Can see the whole hole (with flyover). Great for courses you have never played before.

Cons: Build quality is flimsy, screen scratches easy. Hard to see display. Unit goes to sleep every couple of minutes to conserve batteries. You have to mess with it a couple of times per hole.

[b]Garmin G5[/b]
Pros: Build Quality!. Can see entire hole. Much easier to see display than uPro. Scoring and stat tracking.

Cons: Touchscreen. Thought I would love it but it is not very positive… have to put it in sleep mode to put it in your pocket. Like the uPro, you have to futz with it numerous times per hole.

You can probably see where I am going with this... I REALLY missed just turning on my GolfLogix and not having to pick it up, wake it, hold it at a really limited angle/distance to see it, and having to touch screen or buttons. If you're like me you may discover you have become spoiled by just not having to futz with the GolfLogix at all.

Sure the entire hole view is nice on a course you have not played before, but if the score card does not have decent hole overheads I pay a few bucks for a yardage book. Also… if you are so highly skilled you need to pinpoint the pin for an exact number, you're better off with a laser as GPS is just not that accurate.

As a gadget freak, both the uPro and especially the Garmin are very slick, and I really wanted one for the toy factor. But on the course, I found them a bit of a nuisance to have to interact with them. The GolfLogix just sits in the cup mount, is always on and displaying numbers, can read it at a glance from almost any angle/distance… so I am still using it.

Just my 2¢, YMMV.

[quote name='jun1307' timestamp='1280442291' post='2607150']
I am using golflogix on my smartphone. It works great!
[/quote]

I tried out the Golf Logix app for my iPhone on Tuesday and have to say it's much better than my SkyCaddie 3.5. The thing tracks every shot, compiles stats, allows you to look at the scorecard whenever...basically it has everything. Yardages seems spot on and you get multiple views - including real aerial shots.

I tried it because my subscription was out on my SkyCaddie. I won't be going back. Listed the SkyCaddie on the Bay.

Couldn't agree more with the thumbs up for the Golflogix. I don't understand why it does not receive more love. Turn it on and go....

[quote name='Solutions Etcetera' timestamp='1280270061' post='2602915']
[quote name='hook_or_slice' timestamp='1279752846' post='2591137']
I am really having a tough time deciding on which GPS to upgrade to. I have been using a GolfLogix for a few years but am now looking for more functionality including graphics.[/quote]

[/quote]
I too have been tempted by the more feature-laden units. I have played with most and feel the uPro and Garmin are the best… and have played a round with both. You may find my conclusions surprising.

[b]GolfLogix[/b]
Pros: Build quality and simplicity. For the most part I keep it in a cupholder mount or clipped to my bag and rarely have to touch it for the entire round. My playing partner can also see the numbers even from the other seat, even with sunglasses.

Cons: Numbers only, but plenty of numbers… to/over hazards, 150-125-100 layups, end of fairway, front-center-back of green.

[b]uPro[/b]
Pros: Can see the whole hole (with flyover). Great for courses you have never played before.

Cons: Build quality is flimsy, screen scratches easy. Hard to see display. Unit goes to sleep every couple of minutes to conserve batteries. You have to mess with it a couple of times per hole.

[b]Garmin G5[/b]
Pros: Build Quality!. Can see entire hole. Much easier to see display than uPro. Scoring and stat tracking.

Cons: Touchscreen. Thought I would love it but it is not very positive… have to put it in sleep mode to put it in your pocket. Like the uPro, you have to futz with it numerous times per hole.

You can probably see where I am going with this... I REALLY missed just turning on my GolfLogix and not having to pick it up, wake it, hold it at a really limited angle/distance to see it, and having to touch screen or buttons. If you're like me you may discover you have become spoiled by just not having to futz with the GolfLogix at all.

Sure the entire hole view is nice on a course you have not played before, but if the score card does not have decent hole overheads I pay a few bucks for a yardage book. Also… if you are so highly skilled you need to pinpoint the pin for an exact number, you're better off with a laser as GPS is just not that accurate.

As a gadget freak, both the uPro and especially the Garmin are very slick, and I really wanted one for the toy factor. But on the course, I found them a bit of a nuisance to have to interact with them. The GolfLogix just sits in the cup mount, is always on and displaying numbers, can read it at a glance from almost any angle/distance… so I am still using it.

Just my 2¢, YMMV.
[/quote]

Cobra LTDX driver

Cobra LTDX 3 wood

TaylorMade Stealth Irons 4-A

Sub 70 JB Forged 54/58/62

Lock N Roll Putter 

If you play any tournament golf, avoid any of the smartphone apps. They are non-conforming according to USGA rules, making them illegal to use in tournament play and submitting rounds for USGA handicap calculation. Players have been DQ'd from tournaments because they used them. If all you do is play with your friends or the better half and do not care about a USGA handicap, they are a route to look at.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft