2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

HOTSTIX

wolfgame

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I flew out to Scottsdale this past May to get fitted by the guys at HotStix. Let me say right away, is that it was worth every penny spent there - totally impressive - spent 3.5 hours with them. I do not know about the fitting van, but here is my take on the the process in Scottsdale. They have an extensive testing and and analysis lab where they test clubs, shafts, balls..you name it and have built a detailed database. They also, get equipment right away to test.

I made an appointment 6 weeks out, as they were booked solid. I did the entire tour fitting, which included fitting for woods, irons, putter, and ball. The facility has 5 bays where each bay has a fitting consultant; I had an ex Club Pro by the name of Steve Grosz (very knowledge, impressive, knew how to understand your swing and how to make recommendations - I would recommend him).

Just to make note up front, they do not make recommendations on your swing, they do an analysis of your personal swing, take the data against their massive database and make recommendations that would be perfect for you.

The first thing he did was to take measurements (hand, arm length, etc...), he then measured all my woods, irons, and wedges. He measured length, loft, lie, flex, swing weight. He was starting a fitting sheet with all the data, club make/model on the "as is" condition before they make any changes.

He then had asked me what I was looking for in terms of the fitting. I told him I wanted to get 3 things out of this process:

(1). I wanted to purchase a new driver

(2). I liked my current blades, but wanted to make sure the lie and loft were in tune with my swing

(3). I wanted to keep my current fairwoods - like them alot, but wanted the right shaft for me.

I started with my 6 iron, and warmed up a bit, and he then started taking data on how I was hitting my 6 iron off the computer mat - he took the data and matched it against their data in terms of specs for my given iron and shaft. I should note, that I had my pings customed for me at the ping center in Phoneix about 4 years ago. Steve said that my 6 iron was perfect in terms of shaft, loft, but not lie - he proceeded to change the lie with the machines on the spot; we went through all my irons tweaking them one by one.

Then came the driver; since I wanted a new drive, he first took some data from my old driver and then started to recommend that I demo some drivers to compare the data - I demo'd the Cleveland HiBore, Ping G5, Nike Tour Sasquatch, Titlelist 905T, Miszuno. After going back and forth a few times, he narrowed it down to the Hibore and Titleist. From there, he started to pull out different models of those two drivers with shafts that were being recommended by the analysis for my specific swing. To cut to the chase, I purchased from them a 9* Cleveland Hibore, with an ACCRA Tour 60 Graphite shaft with the right weight frequency.

We did the same for my fairway woods and dialed in the right shafts.

We reshafted and pured all my new shafts, had new shafts put in my cleveland wedges, and he recommend another wedge for my bag, and had it built there for me.

Next was the putter fitting. I told him I liked my current putter, and just wanted it tweaked - the process involves over 9+ cameras looking at how you stroke the ball, how the ball bounces off the putter, the roll..etc. turns out, from the data, I just need to get a shaft that was .5 inches longer.

Finally with all the data, he printed a sheet of recommended balls.

The new clubs with the new data, and changes showed that my irons ball speed increased, the Launch increased, the back spin dropped, the side spin dropped, and my club spead increased by 2 points. My driver data revealed that my carry distance increased 20 yards, my launch increased, my club and speed increased, yet my side spin decreased (which is what you want).

So, after it was all done, the real test came when I played the Stadium course at TPC a few days later.

from the beginning, you have the confidence (it may just be mental) but it gives you the momentum. What I noticed most dramatically was my driver. I used to hit it about 260 with a slight pull to the left; now I was consistently hitting about 278, right down the middle, and was getting the draw I been working to get for so long. The second thing I noticed, was the recommend ball. I used to play the Callaway HX red or Titleist ProV1, and he recommend to stay with the ProV1 or the Bridgestone B330-S Tour. Since I purchased a sleeve of the Bridgestone, I have not gone back!!!

Overall, the experience was A+++ for me, in fact, I called them about a week ago to talk to them up ugrading my Ping i3 blades to the new Ping Rapture Irons, and after speaking with Steve, he said that they were still testing the rapture and to hold off until they finish their analysis and then he would call me and let me know, as well as look at my file and recommend other irons to demo.

Hope this helps, and if you go, ask for Steve Grosz - tell him Eduardo mentioned his name.

Thanks for the update vision

I am scheduled with there mobile van later this month (I wanted to see the flight of the ball outside, rather than hit into nets inside...just my preference). Only bad thing is that they cannot do the putter part out of there shop. I am going to Phoenix in November and going to there shop for the putter analysis. Will let you know more when I am done. .

There is a company at Kierland golf Club called Profit who have probably the most knowledgeable fitter/club builder in the area.....They are outdoors and carry using a launch monitor outside. They carry all the major OEM's including all the aftermarket shafts. If you want the straight scoop give these guys a call....A complete fitting is $100 (no putter fitting) and one of the guys who started the company helped open Hot Stix 5 years ago...The guy you want to talk to is Mark....His phone number is 602 705 5835....Hot Stix does fittings based on a shaft database.....Profit does them with ball flight observation, launch monitor data, and the feel and touch of one of two fitters.....Hot Stix is great but very expensive....Profit is just as good and significantly less....IMHO....

• 4 months later...

Hot Stix - can be a good experience- if you get the right fitter. I have been fit there, on several occasions due to swing improvements.

The last few experiences have been very expensive and useless. For that reason, I would strongly caution you against going.

The business model at Hotstix has changed significantly in the last 12 months. You now have some very inexperienced fitters ( on commission) selling very expensive golf equipment.........

My recommendation would be to spend some time with Mark Brown at Pro Fit golf at Westin Kierland. They are outside-- which is the right way to get fit- so you can see the ball flight and spin, and are as knowledgeable as anyone in the country.

I went to the Hotstix facility in Scottsdale a couple of years ago. At the time I was playing TaylorMade RAC CB irons. After going through the fitting process I left my irons to have them re-shafted to the specs that HotStix suggested. The irons were worthless thereafter. The shafts that they suggested were too weak, and every shot ballooned off the face.

The facility was very impressive, but I suspect that the end result depends on the person who does the actual fitting.

• 6 months later...

I'd like to add another recommendation for Mark at Pro Fit Golf at the Westin Kierland. Really good experience, and nothing beats hitting balls off of GRASS and seeing the actual BALLFLIGHT. Mats can really lead you down the wrong path! Observation of ballflight and feeling how the club goes through the turf is essential, especially for iron fitting. So much depends on the club/turf interaction, I'm convinced of it.

John

Hotstix is a very different company since Mark Timms, founder and the brains behind it, left the company in 2006.

I am NOT saying it is better or worse. Just different. Looks the same but different.

Evanpar

Mark just opened a new venue called Cool Clubs based out of Scottsdale. If you think HotStix was impressive, you need to check out his new studio: www.coolclubs.com

The guy is 100% quality with no compromise.

OH MY GOODNESS.... cool clubs facility looks amazing. I am going to find a way to take some time off and treat myself to that!

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9* - Diamana GT 6S

Sim Ti 15* - Evenflow Riptide CB 70S
Ping G425 3 Hybrid - Tensei Orange S

Srixon ZX5/7 Accra TZI 105 S

Vokey 49F 

Vokey 54D - KBS

Vokey 60M - KBS

Scotty Phantom X9