Callaway FT-i

easyyy

Picked up this bad boy in the off season. I was using a Titleist D2. I've gone with a lighter shaft (NV 65) in a stiff flex. On my D2 I had NV 75 x-stiff. I gone to the range numerous times and I can honestly say that I've gained a minimum of 15 yards. Now I know the heavier and stiffer the shaft = less distance. But 15 yards is a LOT. I'm also noticing that even on the off center hits, I'm getting abut 75% of the yardage if not more. I'm sure it'll stay in the bag for least the next 2 seasons.

CON: I wish it sounded like the FT-iQ. It makes one horrible bang.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I PLAYED ONE OF THESE (10* NEUTRAL, STOCK SPEEDER STIFF SHAFT) FOR MOST OF 2008. I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS MODEL UNLESS YOU WANT TO HIT IT EXTREMELY STRAIGHT, MORE OFTEN THAN NOT. IT TOOK ME ONE SHOT (AT A DEMO DAY) TO KNOW THAT THIS WAS THE MODEL I WANTED. I DOUBT I'D EVER HIT A STRAIGHTER/BETTER SHOT IN MY LIFE, WITH ANY CLUB. I HIT LOTS MORE JUST LIKE IT WHEN I BOUGHT MY OWN. NOT THE LONGEST HITTING MODEL AROUND BUT INCREDIBLY STRAIGHT. IF YOU USE A 3 WOOD EXCLUSIVELY AS A "BACK UP DRIVER" YOU'D PROBABLY BE BETTER OFF USING ONE OF THESE INSTEAD, PERHAPS WITH A SHORTENED SHAFT. INCREDIBLY STRAIGHT, PITY ABOUT THE CLOSED FACE ANGLES IN ALL LOFTS, THOUGH (FOR THOSE OF US WHO TEND TO DRAW/HOOK). EXCELLENT STOCK SPEEDER SHAFT, TOO, VERY SOLID. ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Purchased the FT-i 9* Neutral with Speeder 586 Tour Stiff. Nothing special. I could not get use to the NOISE and had to get rid of it. It does not set-up correct. If you just let it lay it is always open and you have to physically position the head to have it truly correct. The toe sticks up otherwise. I will stick with my old Big Bertha II 415. Still looking for my next driver.......I had a lot of hope for this one.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one this Spring as a present for my wife to replace her old Big Bertha HT. The FT-i, as so many have pointed out, is ugly and generates a loud and equally ugly sound. All the women she plays with in her Tuesday league hate it - not for its look or sound, but because she now drills it right down the center of the fairway virtually every hit, and adds insult to injury by hitting it farther than she ever did with the BB.

Frankly, I'm getting sick of it too. We played together yesterday and she hit all 14 drives within a few yards of the centerline. I may give up and buy one for myself.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't post opinions on here, ever, but I have to give some input on the FT-i. I have been trying to find a driver for the past three seasons. I bought a Ping G5, couldn't find a fairway to save my life. Bought a Nike SQ and played it for 2 years- couldn't get any distance.

Took a chance and picked up the FT-i on ebay. I was a bit skeptical on the square face. 10* with the YS-6 stiff flex shaft. I played one round by myself and immediately called my playing buddies with the good news after the round. I was hitting this club 20-30 yards farther than I ever hit my Ping or Nike. I play the same club over and over so I know my distances. The first time they see me hit this club, they both were amazed, saying in all the rounds we've played, they have never seen me hit a drive like that. It continued throughout the round back in March, and still does to this day.

The 9th hole at our club is a 460 yard dogleg right. I could never cut the corner with my old drivers. If I got a hold of one, I'd be 210 out. Now I cut the corner and end up between 140-160 yards away. When you hit the ball farther then you ever have, you can forget about the look and the sound of the club. It's about performance and this club does its job. I have been a high 9/low 10 hcp for the past two seasons. This year I have been able to put myself in better position to score off of the tee box, shooting 4 rounds in the 70's already this year (had only done it three times since 2007) and dropping down to an 8.5. I'll also plug the R7 tp's that I'm playing now too. Huge improvement from the i5's I used to carry.

I'd highly recommend you at least try this club at a demo day in your area or pick one up cheap off of ebay. That's my story.

hey guys, got an Ft-i 10* from Callaway with Graf. Prolaunch Blue shaft. Problem is, I am slicing the ball. I know that part of it is my over the top swing BUT, I have a question regarding length.

Are you guys playing your Ft-i at standard factory length of 45.75"? I am seriously thinking about cutting it down to either 44" or 44.50".

Thanks.

I never really tried the ft-i and the first time i did i was put off by the head shape - so a few days ago i find a sick deal on an ft-i Imix head at golf galaxy for 50 bucks- 10* draw. picked an aldila moi proto shaft to go along with it - played at bethpage today with it and holy crap, long and ridiculously straight! missed 2 fairways - just hope it stays this way.. now to wor on the iron game.

• 1 month later...

My driving was not up to standard so took the usual step of blaming the club.

Found an FTi Tour LCG 9.5 deg Neutral on Ebay, got it cheap, thought what the heck! Let's try it.

Well, after taking it to the range and hitting a few balls, thought it was just ok.

The sound was harsh, and the feel just ok.

With my low 90's swing speed, I thought maybe the Matrix Xcon 6 S was too much for me!.

Took it to the course yesterday,WOW.

First hole drove into the stream in front of the green.280 yds with a slight helping wind!.

Fourth hole par 5, driver and 3 iron pin high, edge of green.

Fifth and sixth hole long par 4's, drives were ok, nothing startling.

The 8th, a par 5, where I had hit my longest drive ever on this course,(about 3 years ago with an FT3 Tour), I finished up 15 yds behind where that finished, and far longer than what I had been doing recently.
(Have been using a G10 which has great feel and sound, and is a very good allround driver
but never got that really long result).

Remaining holes produced similar results, nearly all with a slight fade.

Found it best with the ball forward off the left toe,(similar to FT3).

Conclusions after 1 game are;

Normal swings produce nothing better than with other drivers, but when hit on the button produced longer drives with a lot of run.Felt as though I could swing hard and not spray!.

Similar length to my FT3 on my best swings, but straighter.
With the FT3 I was never sure where they would go!

Hope it keeps going like this, got to justify the $165.00AUD incl delivery!!!! :rolleyes:

ps While waiting for delivery went to the local golf shop and tried out the FT9, FTi IQ, and Rapture against my G10, on the launch machine.
The IQ was as good, the others were not.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...