2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Pernice BLASTS Woods for skipping Tour Champ

wedgehound

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That guy is a little over the top. So what if Woods decided not to play. I agree with the ending though quoted by Geoff Ogilvy :

If it wasn’t for Tiger, we’d be playing for $2 million this week instead of $6.5 million

I also disagree with him calling to gets el tigres equiptment checked even when he wan't playing in the tournment himself. Just seems like a sour person. No wonder he has rankled some of the players

That's my 2 cents.

-CHRIS-

pernice has and always will be an Word not allowedhole.

Why he's an $%^&, in your opinion? According tp the Institute for Propaganda Analysis: "Name callings have ruined reputations, stirred men and women to outstanding accomplishments, sent others to prison cells, and made men mad enough to enter battle and slaughter their fellowmen. They have been and are applied to other people, groups, gangs, tribes, colleges, political parties, neighborhoods, states, sections of the country, nations, and races."

I can't find an answer to these questions in reading your comment:

* What does the name mean?

* Does the idea in question have a legitimate connection with the real meaning of the name?

* Is an idea that serves my best interests being dismissed through giving it a name I don't like?

* Leaving the name out of consideration, what are the merits of the idea itself?

I think Tom should Chill Out becuase his big pay checks are because people normally come to watch Tiger and not him. Tiger is one of the reasons there are such big purses. Hello.......

I agree 100%. Tiger has brought more money to golf than any 1 pesron has in a very long time. So what if he doesn't want to play in that tournment. The PGA isn"t going to do aything to him because of it as they know that without him right now they would have:

1)Smaller Crowds

2)Less event ticket sales

3)Less money for the purses

-CHRIS-

I think Tom should Chill Out becuase his big pay checks are because people normally come to watch Tiger and not him. Tiger is one of the reasons there are such big purses. Hello.......

Tom's big paychecks comes from Tom's playing abilities, not from the people showing up to watch Tiger play.

I also disagree with the notion that the purses are bigger because Tiger Woods showed up. Purses were starting to rise long before Tiger.

I think some people are really starting to believe that Tiger Woods is really the Messiah, as Earl put it.

Tom wanting to have Tigers' driver checked...now that's a little over the top.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

I agree with Tom about making the playoffs a progressive cut format...but it seems as though the policy makers are looking out for the bottom half of the field....hard call...Joe Durant and Davis Loves interview was very good yesterday....As far as TP calling out Tiger if you look at it objectively he has a point...it would be nice if Tiger and Phil showed up giving the Tourney validity.....I think it is called "Team Player".....imho...acrazygolfer...thanks you give me hope.....

He's right. You don't see the Colts, for example, making the playoffs and then elect not to go. It's an honor to be invited ... but then money talks and honor is a thing of the past.

it's nothing like that.

it's more like a tennis player choosing not to play at Wimbledon. sure it's a big tennis tournament, and sure, there a lots of players who get to play, but you don't HAVE to play.

just like you don't HAVE to play the Tour Championship.

but you should play. You should have the respect for the organization that allowed you to become what you are. Besides, this tournament is the Tour's way of saying "thank you and congratulations for being in the top 30", and Tiger not going is a slap in their face. It would be like not accepting your grandmother's Christmas present...that's exactly what it is.

"Sorry Grandma, I'm too tired to come to Christmas."

My $.02, Pernice is right, Tiger should have played in the Championship. Mickelson should have also played. I wouldn't fault Pernice for speaking up about it, he is entitled to an opinion.

As to Pernice's requesting a review of Tiger's driver, well, that appears to be bad form. However, most of us are not privy to the psychological games athletes play to rattle their opponents. I used to question my playing partners in junior tournaments about whether or not they were following the rules (e.g., did you ground the club in the bunker back there, looked like you did). Do that a few times and your opponent's nerves are shot. I don't necessarily believe pros do that all the time, but I am sure it happens.

pernice has and always will be an Word not allowedhole.

Why he's an $%^&, in your opinion? According tp the Institute for Propaganda Analysis: "Name callings have ruined reputations, stirred men and women to outstanding accomplishments, sent others to prison cells, and made men mad enough to enter battle and slaughter their fellowmen. They have been and are applied to other people, groups, gangs, tribes, colleges, political parties, neighborhoods, states, sections of the country, nations, and races."

I can't find an answer to these questions in reading your comment:

* What does the name mean?

* Does the idea in question have a legitimate connection with the real meaning of the name?

* Is an idea that serves my best interests being dismissed through giving it a name I don't like?

* Leaving the name out of consideration, what are the merits of the idea itself?

Uh, I think...you're...over the top? Propaganda analysis??

i think Tiger and Phil are both wrong for "choosing" not to play...

do you not think they owe the fans as much...?

i keep seeing people say that if it wasn't for Tiger there wouldn't be all this money coming in...?

well, if it wasn't for the FANS, that money wouldn't be there, no matter who was playing...

man up, and play the tourney, unless you have a legitimate reason for not playing... just because you don't "feel like it", is kinda lame...

He's right. You don't see the Colts, for example, making the playoffs and then elect not to go. It's an honor to be invited ... but then money talks and honor is a thing of the past.

The tour championship is not the playoffs. It is at the very best, the 6th major, and really, most players rank it below the WGC events, so that puts it no better than 10th.

Tom's big paychecks comes from Tom's playing abilities, not from the people showing up to watch Tiger play.

I also disagree with the notion that the purses are bigger because Tiger Woods showed up. Purses were starting to rise long before Tiger.

I think some people are really starting to believe that Tiger Woods is really the Messiah, as Earl put it.

Tom's BIG paychecks come from Tiger. The size of his check is directly because of Tiger. The fact that Tom can get a check at all is a testament to his own skill as a golfer. The fact that purses were increasing prior to TW joining the tour is true, but the increased to a MUCH bigger degree after he joined. (A much bigger jump up than at any other time in history).

The only reason Tom is in the news is also b/c of Tiger. (criticizing him, that is). TP, Jr has very very few fans, especially around his home, and so most people don't care to hear anything about him. The only way he is news is when he mouths off about TW.

Not to be blunt, but you're wrong about the size of the purses and tigers influence on them. Here is an except from golf digest:

(2) perhaps even more important than proving he could do it on the course was his impact off the course. The 14.1 Sunday TV rating CBS got for Woods' 1997 Masters victory was the highest ever for a golf tournament, and it led to a new television contract signed a month later that increased PGA Tour purses 40 percent in one year. The light went on for tour players: This guy is going to make us all rich. Time has proved they were right. PGA Tour prize money has tripled since Woods turned pro.

-CHRIS-

and why is Pernice, the bigot only showing up to complain this year.? Phil did not play last year. Infact did not play after the PGA last year. Where was his big mouth then? no..he is the Italian who wants to bring Tiger instep. How can someone like Tiger have his way on the tour? ok if Phil does but Tiger... :) a&&hole

“I think it’s a disgrace,” he replied. “It’s a slap in the face to [presenting sponsor] Coca-Cola and the tour. He would not make the money he makes if it wasn’t for the PGA Tour. At some point there is a credibility factor as to what’s inside you as a person. There is a responsibility and an obligation to the people who helped make you who you are.”

he's a bigot because his focus is always on Tiger..keep pointing out that Tiger is not bigger than the tour.

Which is true...but he won't be a bigot if he accorded the same language to Mickelson who just stops playing after the PGA champs. Not because of injury, tiredness...because he wants to spend time with his family. Pernice does not see an issue with that but something sets him off when Tiger won't play at the tour championships? ridiculous hypocrisy

HI,

Still having a hard time making the connection?

Is it possible that Pernice and Woods do nto get along? Regardless of race? It is hard to imagine it is a race issue when his best friend on tour is Vijay Singh, who last I checked was closer in skin tone to Tiger than Pernice.

And could his not having an issue with Phil be about being that he is also a family man he understands the grind of the tour and Phils reason for missing the event?

CJD

HI,

Still having a hard time making the connection?

Is it possible that Pernice and Woods do nto get along? Regardless of race? It is hard to imagine it is a race issue when his best friend on tour is Vijay Singh, who last I checked was closer in skin tone to Tiger than Pernice.

And could his not having an issue with Phil be about being that he is also a family man he understands the grind of the tour and Phils reason for missing the event

well, you don't have to make the connection. It is my opinion however that Pernice has some prejudices with Tiger. I don't think having kids is the only qualification for having a family. A wife, mother count just as much for wanting to spend more time with them. it's no excuse. These guys can afford to travel with their families..and they do...

as for VJ..he is foreign and Indian..and sided with Fuzzy Zoeller when he made those racist jokes in 1997. Thought it was a joke...he couldn't possibly understand the history behind those jokes...as a foreigner...

but we are talking about Pernice..

Hi,

And of course a person of Vijay's ethnic background could never understand racisim.

And could it be that Vijay thinking Fuzzy's comments were not meant to be harmful because he knew Fuzzy and his sense of humor better than the media. I do not think anyone denied the fact it may have been a comment that could easily be thought to be as racist or harmful.

As we could also think your attack on Pernice ("he is the Italian who wants to bring Tiger instep") could have some ethnic bashing behind it.

CJD

The opinion that Pernice may be a bigot has been well-represented, so let's leave that alone and not take this thread in a downward spiral.

It's no surprise Pernice has a loud opinion on the matter, and even in his less than polite approach he uses some big words and sound logic to back up his gruff tone, it's oversimplifying the issue. It's even less of a surprise that the reporter goes to Pernice for a quote, but we don't need to get into the media's role in all this.

The PGA Tour has some rules and tries to enforce them evenly, but a long time ago they took the unofficial position that superstars do get a different treatment and they call it "being an independent contractor". It's not always pretty, but to the tour it is better than being a public hardliner and turning it into even a bigger fight. The Tour has had a discussion with Tiger over this, they spoke their peace and now they will see what happens in the future. Case closed.

If this issue was actually going to get tackled, then where to begin? True, it does not look so good for TW to be playing for $millions in appearance fees next month while skipping this week's tournament. True, TW did/does have a significnant impact on tour economics. True, the tour shouldn't have so many silly events before for the Championship. True, TW is a member of the Tour and needs to respect that. True, TW is an independent contractor and can do what he wants.

See....where does it all end.

For my opinion, it goes like this. While Tiger is an independent contractor and can do what he chooses with his time and how he wants to make money/cater to fans/cater to sponsors....he did choose to be on the PGA Tour and as such he should plan better so that he can support the Tour that supports him.

The Tour Championship was not scheduled last month. TW and his team has known for a long time that there is a Championship at the end of the season and it is for the Top 30 golfers. TW and his team also knows well in advance there is a pretty good chance he is going to be in the top 30. So pencil in the event on the calendar and plan accordingly. Do what you want before/after, but honor your chosen commitment to the Tour.

That being said, since TW's father passed this year, he gets a pass on pretty much any decision he makes while adjusting to the impact.

Regardless, TW and PM do owe this event to the fans because they did sign up for it a long time ago. Plan accordingly. It's one thing to get preferential treatment because others bestow that upon you for their own personal gain, but to act like you deserve it and use it to justify your poor decisions is not worthy of emulation or adulation.

Last note: I may have to warn my kids not to hire or work with PM's kids because this lack of work ethic in taking the Fall season off every year is not too cool. I'm all for family and leisure, but PM's approach is way over the top. Just like Pernice's bad attitude.