2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

My swing... 240fps

Russc, I didn't say you were wrong, I just thought it would be responsible to let him know where the concept came from. A lot of traditional swing coaches do suggest a weight transfer during the backswing, not all of them suggest setting up reverse K. The move over the right leg would probably be cured by a slightly wider stance and the crushing grapes under your right arch feel however I have a friend (4hdcp) who has an even more pronounced shift over the right and when a coach tried to get him to stop it messed him up completely, he uses it as a trigger to aggressively clear his hips and get his weight forward, and his ball striking is pretty darn good.

Also stym1e, what video camera are you using?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Ranger Rick' timestamp='1334780476' post='4746788']
Russc, I didn't say you were wrong, I just thought it would be responsible to let him know where the concept came from. A lot of traditional swing coaches do suggest a weight transfer during the backswing, not all of them suggest setting up reverse K. The move over the right leg would probably be cured by a slightly wider stance and the crushing grapes under your right arch feel however I have a friend (4hdcp) who has an even more pronounced shift over the right and when a coach tried to get him to stop it messed him up completely, he uses it as a trigger to aggressively clear his hips and get his weight forward, and his ball striking is pretty darn good.

[/quote]

This idea of avoiding lateral weight shift with the irons hardly emanates from Slicefixer. Show me ONE reputable teacher who suggests lateral movement at the hip area going back with irons.ONE.It is really irresponsible for you to imply otherwise ,when you have no facts to back you up.Almost by definition there is weight transfer in all swings.Just the fact that your arms and the club are moving back is weight transfer.Lateral weight shift at the hip area(sway load) is quite another animal.And show me one touring pro who loads over the right leg.Rocco does come close.Yes a wider stance might help the problem of loading over the right leg.However doing so is nothing than a compensation ,an error to correct a previous error .which will in turn require another compensation later in the swing..
You should also reread PingG10guy's posts on the matter of wrist position at the top.There have been great players with both flat and cupped wrists at the top.The number with cupped wrists is greater.

[quote name='Ranger Rick' timestamp='1334780476' post='4746788']

[/quote]

Actually I'm pretty sure that my weight doesn't get to the outside of my right foot even I'm having some "sway" during my backswing. It's just looks like I'm loading the outer side but I definitely have a feeling that I have some tension at the inner side of my right leg. Also I didn't wear my golf shoes when I was hitting indoors so it could affect a little. I was wearing skate shoes from Osiris :P

The camera that I'm using is model EX FH-100 from Casio.

So yesterday I tried to swing with the idea from Sir Nick Faldo. Here's what my swing looked when I was doing the drill:

[media]http://digory.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2012/huhtikuu/faldo/faldo1.m4v[/media]

Doing this faldo drill felt very good to me and my swing felt very simple and easy to control. I've also tried to do some "one plane swings" a couple years ago after reading "The plane Truth" from Jim Hardy and this faldo drill felt a little same. I also had a little piece of paper under my right armpit and I tried to prevent it from falling down while swinging. When looking at this video I feel like this is definitely the best position that I've ever had on the top of my backswing. I'm just not sure about the rest of the swing through impact...looks like I started down a little too much with turning shoulders, this could be because I was focusing on the right position at the top...

I also tried to do those same swings without Faldo and with a piece of paper under my armpit and this is how it looked like:

[media]http://digory.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2012/huhtikuu/faldo/elbow1.m4v[/media]

I tried to restrict my backswing and maintain the connection between my torso and right arm...but somehow I just keep overswinging. The only way I could get into a good position (according to people's tips from page 1) was when I actually did the faldo drill.

I know that I was a little tired yesterday and my concentration wasn't at the maximum level but how on earth could I get into the "faldo" position without doing the faldo drill? It kind of sucks if I have to start hitting on the golf course with the faldo drill swing :D

This is so hard... any ideas? If I'm not tired next time I could try the 9-3 swing... I've seen the video earlier but It's a little hard for me to start working on that swing mindset since I've been hitting balls like this for 12 years and I don't know who could help me here in Finland...

Try the paper under the left arm for a full swing rather, with it under the right arm you tend to suck it in too much and your arm gets caught behind you.

Also in order to achieve a similar position to the Faldo drill you can actually borrow something great from russc and the SF method. It's 2 drills in one actually. Wrap a towel or put a weighted donut around the head/bottom of the shaft and a bottle about 40 cm behind the ball on your target line. The aim is to knock the bottle over while keeping the triangle and your wrist the same. You are going for a dead hands take away and just use the big muscles to start your pivot (that is where the towel comes in, it stops you getting wristy in the take away and starts you swinging down with the handle first) once your left arm is pointing at about 8 (your head is at 12, the ball at 6, think of a clock face) your right elbow should begin to fold and your wrists ****. When starting do this at about 50% effort. The added weight should also help with the OTT move. You can separate these drills into the towel drill and the straight back one. Also can you put up a new FO video.

[quote name='Ranger Rick' timestamp='1334860926' post='4753156']
Try the paper under the left arm for a full swing rather, with it under the right arm you tend to suck it in too much and your arm gets caught behind you.

Also in order to achieve a similar position to the Faldo drill you can actually borrow something great from russc and the SF method. It's 2 drills in one actually. Wrap a towel or put a weighted donut around the head/bottom of the shaft and a bottle about 40 cm behind the ball on your target line. The aim is to knock the bottle over while keeping the triangle and your wrist the same. You are going for a dead hands take away and just use the big muscles to start your pivot (that is where the towel comes in, it stops you getting wristy in the take away and starts you swinging down with the handle first) once your left arm is pointing at about 8 (your head is at 12, the ball at 6, think of a clock face) your right elbow should begin to fold and your wrists ****. When starting do this at about 50% effort. The added weight should also help with the OTT move. You can separate these drills into the towel drill and the straight back one. Also can you put up a new FO video.
[/quote]

Hi again,

I didn't try these drills yet since I was just focusing on the faldo drill today.

I took couple videos from the face on view, first with the faldo drill:

[media]http://digory.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2012/huhtikuu/faldo/faldo_face_view1.m4v[/media]

And the second one without Mr. Faldo:

[media]http://digory.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2012/huhtikuu/faldo/face_view2.m4v[/media]

What do you guys think?

I still can't get to good position without doing the faldo drill:

[url="http://digory.kuvat.fi/kuvat/2012/huhtikuu/faldo/dtl_without_faldo.m4v"]http://digory.kuvat....thout_faldo.m4v[/url]

I think I have to keep my focus on making shorter backswings... I did a few of them at the end of my session but I had put my camera away already...All in all my swings and impacts felt very consistant and solid today, especially with the faldo drill.

I think I didn't have any sway with my right hip anymore...? Especially when using the faldo drill.

I think I've found a solution to my overswinging.. it's most likely caused by late wrist hinge at the backswing. Next time I'm practising I'm going to start hinging my wrists much earlier... that's the way to get into the "faldo position" without doing the faldo drill...

You can test this by making backswings with extremely late wrist hinge --> causes flying right elbow.
If you hinge your wrists earlier (at 8 o'clock) it will keep right elbow closer to body and hands infront of chest...

I think it will also help me not to sway with my right hip since it keeps the momentum of the clubhead closer to my body during the backswing.

I'll upload some videos later.

[quote name='stym1e' timestamp='1335433259' post='4792596']
I think I've found a solution to my overswinging.. it's most likely caused by late wrist hinge at the backswing. Next time I'm practising I'm going to start hinging my wrists much earlier... that's the way to get into the "faldo position" without doing the faldo drill...

You can test this by making backswings with extremely late wrist hinge --> causes flying right elbow.
If you hinge your wrists earlier (at 8 o'clock) it will keep right elbow closer to body and hands infront of chest...

I think it will also help me not to sway with my right hip since it keeps the momentum of the clubhead closer to my body during the backswing.

I'll upload some videos later.
[/quote]

Dont get the elbow too close to your body. The elbow should def not be touching it. Hands more infront of you is a great thing though.