2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Scratch HCP with flippy hands needs some help

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G37rTnG6lDA&context=C4ea1084ADvjVQa1PpcFOoEviQPjQfBybt0QmgFVB3se37jZf87GQ=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-HaD71ntLc&context=C41af361ADvjVQa1PpcFOoEviQPjQfB0mGNmD2RvBJaQq2N4qn-GY=

Hi guys,

i´m a pretty decent golfer my problem is that my hands are too active in my swing. Bad shots start on target and move left.

Another thing is that i have so much hand rotation that i getting red scratches on my right forearm.Club travels most of the time on plane even tough i get a little bit stucked with Driver.

Guys any advice is appreciated and i wish you a nice golf season!

Cheers Ben

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there is some early extension with the driver.

i think you need more spine tilt away from the target at address though, and then maintain it throughout the swing. you've got a great shoulder turn and even better wrist set....but with being over the ball with limited spine tilt, i think if you try to hold off the release and swing left to get rid of the flip, you're gonna hit straight pulls.

so try bumping your left hip out at address and feeling like your heads a little behind the ball. then try [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/370676-is-this-a-anti-flip-drill-photos-inside/"]this drill (punisher)[/url] while feeling like you're swinging more left through impact.

good luck.

[quote name='tfish' timestamp='1332875535' post='4593146']
there is some early extension with the driver.

i think you need more spine tilt away from the target at address though, and then maintain it throughout the swing. you've got a great shoulder turn and even better wrist set....but with being over the ball with limited spine tilt, i think if you try to hold off the release and swing left to get rid of the flip, you're gonna hit straight pulls.

so try bumping your left hip out at address and feeling like your heads a little behind the ball. then try [url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/370676-is-this-a-anti-flip-drill-photos-inside/"]this drill (punisher)[/url] while feeling like you're swinging more left through impact.

good luck.
[/quote]

Thanks for your tips guys. And your right, with the driver there is some early extension. With my irons i have it under control, but if wanna rip the driver i loose my spine angle and my hip shoots towards the ball.
i´m going to work on my setup tfish and try the punisher drill. Do you think a squat downswing thought can help me retain my spine angle with the driver??

Cheers

^^^Yes a squat thought will help. So will the thought of keeping some flex in your right hip on the downswing.

As for the flipping, I have this tendency as well. My pro suggested a drill where I put a tee between the right palm crease and the big thumb knuckle of the left hand. Don't let the tee move during your swing. You'll stop flipping and use your core to hit the ball. This way of striking the ball always feels "slow" to me, but in reality I hit the ball farther (and more solidly) with passive hands/core rotation than I do being a flipper.

Hi guys i just wanna post some update videos.
with improved Setup and
1st video is practicing the punisher drill
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HhkenzCVi8&feature=youtu.be[/media]
2nd front view of a shot after punisher drill ( not really less flipping, but better angle of attack i think)
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8nEjWkmIZ0&feature=youtu.be[/media]

you have the same tendency as i do with that punisher drill, and its my only real dislike of it....

i have the feeling, and confirmed by video, that i need to slide my upper center laterally forward to make contact with the ball with my hands that far ahead....and though the contact is fine, my spine gets very vertical at impact which is a big no-no in playing golf.

so it may still be a good drill for you to ingrain that feeling of the hands through impact. but you either gotta work on staying back and creating separation between your upper center and your hips, or make sure you don't ingrain a lateral lunge at the ball while you ingrain that passive release feeling.

the other drill that may be better because of the above problem is this...
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgZJNHBRB2c"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgZJNHBRB2c[/url]

you should be able to do it [i]a lot[/i] and get that body release feeling and not get into other bad habits.

also think you could still use more spine tilt away from the target at address. simply bumping your left hip forward so it's plumb with your left foot should do most of the job.
this should be a good visual for you of current tiger....
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaERM965TuU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaERM965TuU[/url]

notice the left hip position.....and if you were to draw an extended line of his spine at address it'd point way out to the right. and then at the top of his swing that angle from the middle of his butt through the back of his head is even more pronounced. so while you have the right shoulder lower than the left....the rest of your spine and the rest of your body is still very square, and at the top....your spines basically vertical.

ok thanks for your replies Dliver and tfish!
i´m going to work on my setup, more spine tilt and better balance, and try the other drill tfish recommended.

i have to say it´s really cool to speak with guys who have similar problems in the golf swing!
:drinks: can´t wait to get rid of the flippy hands, although it´s still a long way to go

There are at least three ways to cheat on the "punisher drill"
The worst is falling back on your right leg.The rod will miss your side but at the cost of destroying your golf swing.The second is referred to by Tfish and that is moving your upper body forward on the downswing .The rod will again miss your side but at a cost of losing any spine tilt and upper/lower body separation during the downswing.The third way is what you are doing ,creating some left arm separation right after impact.This is the least deleterious of the three by far and can fixed by placing a nerf ball /credit card deep inside your left armpit and not dropping this nerf ball/credit card at all in the swing.With better left arm connection you will be forced to pivot through even more aggressively or smack your left side

Try toeing out your left foot 1/4 turn at setup.This small change will make it easier to rotate going through.

Referencing your front view iron swing. You need to get a little more loaded into your right side going back.This is done NOT by lateral motion but by winding around your tilted spine going back.You have already titled your shoulder enough.and you need to tilt your hips a little bit more away from the target .You do this by bumping your left hip just a very little bit more towards the target to align your lower and middle spine and make it easier to rotate around this tilted spine gong back.At the top this spine tilt will still discernible.In your case it has become more vertical.By retaining your tilt at the top you can then create the requisite secondary axis tilt that will improve your pivot going down.
An excellent feedback device is to place a rod through your front belt loops.Then you can see whether you are retaining this small amount of spine tilt when you are filming or when you are setting up in front of a mirror.

I used to deal with the same thing almost. My hands were wayyyy too active as well. One thing that we did similar was one of our very first steps in our backswings was to hinge the wrists. I changed that and made it so that I was moving the club away like I would a putter for about two feet, then go into the rest of my backswing. Watch these videos when you have time. One thing I really focused on and the thing that really clicked with me was "acquired motion". Hopefully this helps. (Start at chapter 1)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKrSzhcX2lI&feature=relmfu[/media]

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,
long time no see! Here a few update videos of my swing . Tried to improve my swing despite i play a lot of tournaments lately.
Trying to concentrate on swinging low and left, to get my flipping hands under control. Wedges and irons seems to be okay, woods are a bit different ;) At the moment hitting it solid but with room for improvement.
Please feel free to post comments and suggestions for drills. right now hitting a lot 9 to 3

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoS-rKuD_So&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoS-rKuD_So&feature=youtu.be[/url]

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uVKbVpWvAc&feature=youtu.be"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uVKbVpWvAc&feature=youtu.be[/url]

I much prefer your more natural action. To try and "hold" your hand action is ridiculous, no one recommends trying to do anything with your hands in the golf swing for a good reason.

I suggest working on the early extension of your hips. Fixing the action of your hips will take care of the hands naturally withou you having that conscious thought during your swing.

I highly recommend an app called "Tour Tempo". This will help you a lot once you have your hip action.

If you take a look at the face on view you posted, your quads kind of collapse at impact and this is what allows early extension. If you want a drill, hit the range and focus on wider thighs at impact. You will thank me later!

[quote name='bacination' timestamp='1342186031' post='5267732']
I much prefer your more natural action. To try and "hold" your hand action is ridiculous, no one recommends trying to do anything with your hands in the golf swing for a good reason.

I suggest working on the early extension of your hips. Fixing the action of your hips will take care of the hands naturally withou you having that conscious thought during your swing.

I highly recommend an app called "Tour Tempo". This will help you a lot once you have your hip action.

If you take a look at the face on view you posted, your quads kind of collapse at impact and this is what allows early extension. If you want a drill, hit the range and focus on wider thighs at impact. You will thank me later!
[/quote]

Thanks for your comment bacination,
I agree with you that my footwork need improvement especially with the longer clubs. You can see my problem on the latest 3 wood video DTL, my right heel comes up to quick knee shots towards the ball -> hips loose tush line ! (correct me if i´ve got the cause of EE wrong, but in my opinion its the footwork)! Any good drills for better footwork???

To your comment on my other swings: on the range i hit these hold off shot to incorporate the feel of swinging low and left. I´ve always been a drawer of the ball with a tendency of hooking and these 8 to 10 drill shots help me to become more neutral ! In tournaments i swing naturally of course!
The app you´ve recommended i already on my phone. tried it a few times, but didn´t help me that much.

• 1 month later...