2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Who introduced you to golf?

pitbull808

Frank....

That's priceless. reminds me of the movie where the kid is trying to get the lessons from that pro andriding his bike to see him with his clubs on his back just to hit balls into the water. LOL

Thanks for sharing Guys.

;)

-CHRIS-

Chris,

Keep in mind I went to high school in the 70s. Golf was considered a pu$$y sport for the most part back then. I remember riding past a school bus and hearing the kids laugh at me. I was so driven to learn and play, their laughter didn't even bother me.

Frank....I was a few years younger then you graduating in the early 80's but many still considered it a "pu$$y" sport then too. Funny thing is I was also on the varsity football team at the same time golf season started. It was sort of odd attending the pre-season golf meetings in my football clothes and then practicing with the football team after. Never got called a pu$$y and the golf team loved it because my being on the football team and them knowing me rubbed off on them too. :)

Reid,

Reid, Nobody gave me any lip directly to my face. I was 190 lb. 6'. I benched 280 and did sets of bicep curls at 125 lb. By todays standards, that is not great, but back then it was. Oh yeah, I had hair half way down my back and was very quiet. So everybody didn't know how to take me. A few selected outbursts of anger in the school added to the mystique. That was many years ago. I look back and smile!!! I love your story, bro. I can relate because it was ridiculous what people thought of the game. I remember talking to a history teacher and he was equating the game of golf to chess. That was when I had one of my selected outburst of anger. :stop: :stop:

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My junior year in college (40+ years ago) I was injured in preseason baseball practice (knee). I was living with two fraternity brothers who played competitive high school golf. When I had rehabbed the knee, they convinced me that if I could hit a 90+MPH fastball it should be easy to hit a little white ball off a peg (but they lied a lot).

40+ years later I am still adicted.

Reid,

Reid, Nobody gave me any lip directly to my face. I was 190 lb. 6'. I benched 280 and did sets of bicep curls at 125 lb. By todays standards, that is not great, but back then it was. Oh yeah, I had hair half way down my back and was very quiet. So everybody didn't know how to take me. A few selected outbursts of anger in the school added to the mystique. That was many years ago. I look back and smile!!! I love your story, bro. I can relate because it was ridiculous what people thought of the game. I remember talking to a history teacher and he was equating the game of golf to chess. That was when I had one of my selected outburst of anger. :stop: :stop:

;) Oh geesh Frank....I just choked on my diet pepsi with that last line! Thank goodness I didn't spray my screen! We must have been very similar in high school. I played golf but had a football mentality on the course. On the last hole of one of our tournaments, all the teams were surrounding the last hole. One of the opposing teams were talking when I addressed my ball. I had an "outburst" right before I putted. While going home in the team van, one of our assistant coaches yelled to us in the back, "We many not have beat them, but I think they were afraid of being beat up!". Some of my old team mates still give me some good teasing about that one. :)

My wife and her twin sister played in high school - after we got married they dragged the husbands out one afternoon (about 2 years ago) to a really short easy muni down the street.

I went kicking and screaming - but I was obsessed when we got home! I just blame it on her when I spend money or go play!

--TW

I love that story! ;) I bet there are hundreds of men at GolfWRX who would love to be able to blame their wives for their passion for golf. It would certainly make explaining long brown boxes so much easier!

Reid,

Reid, Nobody gave me any lip directly to my face. I was 190 lb. 6'. I benched 280 and did sets of bicep curls at 125 lb. By todays standards, that is not great, but back then it was. Oh yeah, I had hair half way down my back and was very quiet. So everybody didn't know how to take me. A few selected outbursts of anger in the school added to the mystique. That was many years ago. I look back and smile!!! I love your story, bro. I can relate because it was ridiculous what people thought of the game. I remember talking to a history teacher and he was equating the game of golf to chess. That was when I had one of my selected outburst of anger. ;) ;)

(cool) Oh geesh Frank....I just choked on my diet pepsi with that last line! Thank goodness I didn't spray my screen! We must have been very similar in high school. I played golf but had a football mentality on the course. On the last hole of one of our tournaments, all the teams were surrounding the last hole. One of the opposing teams were talking when I addressed my ball. I had an "outburst" right before I putted. While going home in the team van, one of our assistant coaches yelled to us in the back, "We many not have beat them, but I think they were afraid of being beat up!". Some of my old team mates still give me some good teasing about that one. :D

Reid, LOL I love it. Hey we were young and trying to find our place in this world. Some of us had a louder bark than others! :crazy: (cool) Reid, I was very laid back and quiet in high school but when some one pushed me, I saw only one thing.....red. Thank God those days are over, I think. :cheesy:

I didnt have a dad growing up and my Pop was the my dad to me. He made me clubs at age 3 i was on the course at age 6(9 hole) stopped playing at age 19 when he passed away and started again at age 24 took one year and i boke into the 80's and then a few more and i was shooting in the 70's and break that occasianlly. I owe the game i love to my grandfather(my idol)

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

• 5 months later...

I started on my own. I watched Freddy win the Masters in 1992(I was 10) and I was hooked. I picked up a Nancy Lopez 8-iron from K-Mart and started hitting shots. In June of that year my parents got me a set of Wilson Staff Progressive irons. I don't actually remember what driver I was using. A few months later my Dad got into the game. I jumped in with both feet and really haven't let up for that last 14-15 years. Alot of people think its crazy that I started myself in the game, maybe thats why it has basically ruled my life. I have a passion for golf that borders on the the insane. I eat, sleep and breathe golf. I have done everything I can to learn as much as I can and experience everything that my means will allow. Its a great game and I can't imagine my life without it.

28 years ago (and I am only 30) my Grandmom had me on the range with her teaching me to hit balls. I played the 9 hole club that they belonged to almost everyday during the summer from the time I was about 4 until I my 20's with my Grandmom and Grandpop. My Grandmom passed away when I was 19, but I still get out a few times a year with my Grandpop and play. He still hits it great for an 80 year old.

I was introduced to the game at about age 12 by my uncle ( he was actually my cousin's husband; but my cousin was 20+ years older than me). It was a rustic, but nice, 9 hole course north west of Toronto. I got hooked early.

Ironically, I was the one who introduced my dad to the game a few years later; i gave him a putter as a present at his early retirment party. That was almost 30 years ago. My dad is now in his late 80's; he still plays a 9 hole par 3 course twice a week. He enjoys it and it energizes him.

My son is now 20 years old; he joins me for 9 holes at my club on Sunday afternoons (for some reason both of the courses at my club are absolutely empty on a Sunday afternoon). That is great fun.

Golf is an integral part of my existence.

ParPar

I was introduced to the game at about age 12 by an "uncle" ( he was actually my cousin's husband; but my cousin was 20+ years older than me). It was at a rustic, but nice, 9 hole course northwest of Toronto. I got hooked early.

Ironically, I was the one who introduced my dad to the game about 6 years later; i gave him a putter as a present at his early retirment party. That was almost 30 years ago. My dad is now in his late 80's; he still plays a 9 hole par 3 course twice a week. He enjoys it and it energizes him.

My son joins me for 9 holes at my club on Sunday afternoons (for some reason both of the courses at my club are absolutely empty on a Sunday afternoon). That is great fun. He is now 20 years old and bigger and stronger than I am. he can out drive me often, but he cannot yet outscore me. That will come soon enough.

Golf is an integral part of my existence.

ParPar

My dad didn't/doesn't play, but my grandfather was a golfer and quite good. He tried to get me into it as a kid, but I wasn't interested. In fact, I hated when my grandparents would be down on the weekend because he'd have golf on TV (oh how people change). When I was in college some friends made me go with them during a road trip, and I said I'd just wait in the clubhouse. My friends wouldn't allow that so I went out and gave it a shot.

I was hooked the first time. I started playing all the time and even got a job at a golf course that next summer. Luckily I got to play a few rounds with my grandfather and he was so happy. He even bought me my first real set of clubs.

Unfortunately he died years ago and was in poor health before that. My biggest golf regret is that he wasn't alive when I got my first and only (to date) hole-in-one (he had one late in life). He would have been so happy. Also, a miracle occured and I got to actually play Augusta a few years ago. How thrilled he would have been about that.

However, I think he got to see both those events and was cheering me on. I don't know when my time will be up, but on the day I die I hope he has us a tee time in Heaven already set up for us.

I started playing about 4-5 years ago, although I did stop for an entire year after I bought a Vette since that took up all my play money and time. I grew up in South Central Los Angeles and the idea of playing golf never even entered my mind until a co-worker asked if I wanted to go to the driving range with him. Well I went and I sucked so bad, I guess in my mind, I thought "how hard can it be?" I've always been pretty athletic and the idea that I couldn't hit this little white ball drove me crazy. I was hooked instantly and am having a blast on my quest to get better. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm 37 and until last fall thought that Mark Twain was spot on "A Good walk spoiled".

I've worked in a car dealership for the last 5 years and a lot of the guys play, still wasn't interested.

I've been a computer games junkie for over 25 years, and last fall started playing an online golf game called Shot online. After 3 months I got the itch to try my hand at the real thing and my wife bought me a set of clubs for Christmas.

Planned to hit the range a time or two then get some lessons. January rolls around and I sneeze, throwing out my back and aggrivating an old motorcycle injury, what an athlete! 4 weeks later I am just about moving properly again and I break 2 toes!

So I had had the clubs for 5 months before I got to swing them! I hit the range 4 weeks ago for the first time and have hit over 650 balls in 4 visits! I am hooked, looking to play my first round next week with a couple of the guys from work.

Growing up I used to get to play about once or twice a summer with my favorite uncle. Never really cought on as my folks weren't too interested. Got to play in HS gym class into a net, still didn't get hooked. Fast forward 17 years. Didn't play again untill about 2 years ago at a work outing, where a fourth was needed. I played terribly but finally was hooked. In the span of 2 years I've gone from not owning clubs to having too many clubs laying around. I have built club building tools a spine finder, a swingweight scale, and I have built a set of irons from components and made 3 putters from scratch. I am definetly a ho at this point. It's so bad, that last weekend I made a couple of wind chimes out of a golf ball, some golf shafts and a few other odds and ends...and people actually like them...

My earliest recollection of golf was my dad taking me out when I was probably 5 or 6. In the little Kansas town he was born in there is a 9 hole, sand green course. It's still there today. He got me hooked at an early age. From there it was wedge shots in the back yard with wiffle balls. Later on he gave me a spare set he had (don't ever let anyone tell you being a club ho isn't in the genes). Used to play every weekend with him and some of his buddies. Now I'm passing it on to my kids.

[VokeyDesign] "Don't laugh but it was Happy Gilmore that got me into the game"

I have to admit, Happy was a big influence for me too! I started playing hockey at 35, but after 10 years, my back just started bothering me too much so I quit. Then 2 years ago at 46, after about a year of no sports, a old friend called me to see if I wanted to play golf. Well, if Happy can quit hockey and start golf, so can I. I was hooked immediately (even though golf bothers my back almost as much as hockey did). My friend was an avid golfer, playing to about an 8. We started playing together every weekend. I didn't have a handicap initially, so he'd give me 6 strokes per round, and I'd still manage to win a few. Now, 2 years later, he's a 7 and I'm a 4. I took his money again yesterday when he shot 90 to my 75 :partytime2: He had a rough day - very windy w/ lightning fast greens.

To show my respect to Happy, I always end my practice sessions on the range w/ some Happy drives. I stand about 8-10 feet back, run up and smack the hell out of the ball. I hit about half of 'em long and right down the middle. It's a risky shot, but when I'm not trying to protect a good round, I usually use this drive on the last hole.