2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Golfshot Lite miscalculated my handicap?

I've been on a quest to find the best way to track stats on my iphone to understand my game better and I recently decided to switch from the oobgolf app to golfshot lite since golfshot lite gives scrambling stats for free whereas on oobgolf you have to pay for it. i had 6 rounds of golf logged in under oobgolf and moved them all to golfshot lite and turned on the auto-handicap feature. i was very confused when i saw a different handicap under golfshot lite than i had been seeing under oobgolf.

i checked the numbers out on a few handicap calculators and even tried crunching them by hand and found that the oobgolf handicap is correct and the golfshot lite handicap is wrong. i even recalculated the numbers using golfshot lite's information only, without looking at oobgolf, just in case golfshot had different numbers for course/slope rating, or i had entered a score incorrectly -- still wrong.

The correct handicap index should be 14.4 but I'm getting 13.8 on golfshot lite.

Has anyone else had any similar issues? It's driving me crazy!

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jfann1' timestamp='1340103022' post='5126906']
I've been on a quest to find the best way to track stats on my iphone to understand my game better and I recently decided to switch from the oobgolf app to golfshot lite since golfshot lite gives scrambling stats for free whereas on oobgolf you have to pay for it. i had 6 rounds of golf logged in under oobgolf and moved them all to golfshot lite and turned on the auto-handicap feature. i was very confused when i saw a different handicap under golfshot lite than i had been seeing under oobgolf.

i checked the numbers out on a few handicap calculators and even tried crunching them by hand and found that the oobgolf handicap is correct and the golfshot lite handicap is wrong. i even recalculated the numbers using golfshot lite's information only, without looking at oobgolf, just in case golfshot had different numbers for course/slope rating, or i had entered a score incorrectly -- still wrong.

The correct handicap index should be 14.4 but I'm getting 13.8 on golfshot lite.

[/quote]
Have you been applying ESC (equitable stroke control)?
[url="http://golf.about.com/cs/handicapping/a/whatisesc.htm"]http://golf.about.com/cs/handicapping/a/whatisesc.htm[/url]

I'm not sure if GolfShot does that or not but an official USGA handicap does.

I had some trouble with GolfShot and handicaps (I use the full version and not the Lite, not sure if there is any difference). But, I had added myself and my three playing partners and it would always incorrectly calculate our handicaps - I had to email GolfShot and they were pretty helpful. For my purposes, I wanted our handicaps based on the course and not the slope. I would email them directly with your questions. I think I had to set my handicap to Congu (UK) for it to register correctly.

[quote name='ThreeOnParFive' timestamp='1340108493' post='5127146']
[quote name='jfann1' timestamp='1340103022' post='5126906']

[/quote]
Have you been applying ESC (equitable stroke control)?
[url="http://golf.about.com/cs/handicapping/a/whatisesc.htm"]http://golf.about.co...a/whatisesc.htm[/url]

I'm not sure if GolfShot does that or not but an official USGA handicap does.
[/quote]

Thanks for that tip regarding ESC. I went back and checked to see if that was the reason for the problem but even after accounting for ESC, the numbers aren't making any sense.

[quote name='DrCRHop' timestamp='1340109101' post='5127174']
I had some trouble with GolfShot and handicaps (I use the full version and not the Lite, not sure if there is any difference). But, I had added myself and my three playing partners and it would always incorrectly calculate our handicaps - I had to email GolfShot and they were pretty helpful. For my purposes, I wanted our handicaps based on the course and not the slope. I would email them directly with your questions. I think I had to set my handicap to Congu (UK) for it to register correctly.
[/quote]

I reached out to Golfshot around the same time I started this thread, hopefully I hear back from them within a few days, will let you guys know if there's a solution somewhere.

In the meantime, let me put up my exact scores and course info so someone might catch an inconsistency.
The information I'm using is all coming from within the app itself so I'm using all of the same ratings that they are (to account for discrepancies in the ratings).

My last (and only) six rounds entered:

Bethpage State Park Yellow Course - Championship Tees
Score: 86
Ratings: 69.3/119
Calculated Differential: 15.86

Pelham Bay Golf Course - Middle Tees
Score: 89
Ratings: 69.0/113
Calculated Differential: 20.00

Forest Park Golf Course - Back Tees
Score: 85
Ratings: 69.2/119
Calculated Differential: 15.00

Bethpage State Park Black Course - Regulation Tees
Score: 92
Ratings: 73.1/140
Calculated Differential: 15.26

Bethpage State Park Red Course - Regulation Tees
Score: 88
Ratings: 71.2/124
Calculated Differential: 15.31

Forest park Golf Course - Back Tees
Score: 89
Ratings: 69.2/119
Calculated Differential: 18.80

Based on the number of rounds, only the single best differential should be used and the lowest differential is the 3rd score from Forest Park. I multiple 15.0 by .96 and get 14.4, the same number I get from virtually everywhere BUT golfshot. Golfshot says I'm a 13.8.

Once accounting for ESC, the only round where it would come into play would be my last round at Forest Park where I made two 8's. Even if they were both made to be 7's by ESC, it would only reduce my score on that round to 87 which would not be enough to have an effect on my index.

I'm about to rip my hair out.

Look at it this way -- I have it on my iPhone and iPad... both "self-calculating"... and I have a 17 on my phone and a 13 on my ipad. It's not just you, and it's really a strange bug. I'm hoping there is a fix on the way, because this is just math...

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

[quote name='matchavez' timestamp='1340200722' post='5134842']
Look at it this way -- I have it on my iPhone and iPad... both "self-calculating"... and I have a 17 on my phone and a 13 on my ipad. It's not just you, and it's really a strange bug. I'm hoping there is a fix on the way, because this is just math...
[/quote]
yeah that's the most frustrating thing, it's just a math calculation, you'd think it'd be so simple...

[quote name='Radagast' timestamp='1340395780' post='5150688']
You may want to check if the rating and slope that GolfShot has in the system matches the rating and slope on the card. I've played a few courses where it didn't, enough to change my differential by a few numbers.
[/quote]

Yeap I took a look at that, they were off by a few here and there but not on the scores that were used to calculate my differential.

I received an email back from golfshot promising an update to the software that's going to correct this issue, this is what it said:

[size=3]Hi Jeffrey,[/size]

[size=3]We're working on an update to Golfshot LITE which will correct some handicap scoring issues that have surfaced.[/size]

[size=3]Thank you.[/size]

[quote name='Travis24' timestamp='1340992812' post='5190386']
Wow I'm glad I found this thread, I've been recording consitant low 80's on my lite version and it still says I'm at a 36? Somethings not adding up. I only have a hand full of rounds saved, will it go down any after I record more?
[/quote]
Do you have auto handicap turned on?

Epic Flash 10.5 Evenflow 6.0
Epic Flash 3 Wood Evenflow 6.0
Ping G 3 and 4 Hybrid Tour 90
Ping G410 PX LZ 6.0
Cleveland CBX 54 58
Cleveland Huntington Beach 11c

Golfshot handicapping is broken. I've been emailing back and forth with them for going on two months because it says my handicap is +10. Their customer service people are slow, don't understand any of what I'm telling them and as far as I can tell writing an app to use their scores would be faster (I'm a software developer myself).

Don't expect any resolution anytime soon, they can't even keep what they ask you to do straight. I'd post my email interactions but it makes my head hurt and they are too long. Good luck.

[quote name='Fourmyle of Ceres' timestamp='1341015751' post='5192244']
I'd like to see a match between [i]Aithos[/i] and [i]Travis24[/i]. I figured three strokes a hole ought to be given...
[/quote]

lol, well I'm actually between 14-15 right now so if he's shooting low 80s he'd probably beat me unless he gave me a couple strokes. As for golfshot, Travis I think you have to have at least 6 full rounds entered before it will start calculating your handicap. So you probably just don't have enough rounds entered, keep going and it'll start. Whether it's right will be another matter entirely...

Well it's off-topic here but you just made me think of it...

When I'm playing someone fairly close to my own handicap, say give or take half a dozen strokes, I like to play straight up with what I've heard called "Sunningdale Rules". In match play you can start out with no strokes given either way but if one player gets 2-down or more he gets a stroke a hole for as long as he's at least 2-down.

Unless the players are totally mismatched, that stroke a hole makes it unlikely for a match to get and stay much worse than 2-down or 3-down one way or the other. But then if the guy who is behind does catch up he has to win over the last few holes without getting strokes.

I like it because it means matches seldom close out before the 16th or 17th hole yet the guy who is the lower handicapper has much better than a 50/50 chance of winning. That seems fair to me. When I play someone 2, 3, 4 strokes better than me I think they ought to have the odds in their favor but I like having a chance to beat them if I play well. With full strokes in match play the weaker player generally wins a full 50% of the time.

[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1341144217' post='5197778']
get what you pay for i suppose
[/quote]

I don't know if I mentioned this in my post so I won't take offense, but I have the paid version. So no, you clearly *don't* get what you pay for. I've sent a dozen emails, had their customer service "forget" what they told me to do and given a fairly accurate description of the problem and why it is happening (I'm also a software developed) and they still can't fix it. The program is awesome otherwise, and I love the GPS but their customer service and bug fixing is ATROCIOUS!

For what it's worth, my guess is that it doesn't properly calculate partial rounds. It shows me as a +10 because it thinks my 9 hole scores are 18 hole scores. They "said" it goes on a hole by hole basis and handicaps only the ones you play, but the customer service people don't know what they are talking about. I play 1-3 and 13-18 when I walk 9 holes (we call it the inside nine because that's how you end up back and the clubhouse and not the far side of the course) and that appears to be what is confusing the program. So if you avoid partial rounds, or only play full sets of nine holes it probably works better.

[quote name='Aithos' timestamp='1341186572' post='5200618']
[quote name='jnradioactive' timestamp='1341144217' post='5197778']
get what you pay for i suppose
[/quote]

I don't know if I mentioned this in my post so I won't take offense, but I have the paid version. So no, you clearly *don't* get what you pay for. I've sent a dozen emails, had their customer service "forget" what they told me to do and given a fairly accurate description of the problem and why it is happening (I'm also a software developed) and they still can't fix it. The program is awesome otherwise, and I love the GPS but their customer service and bug fixing is ATROCIOUS!
[/quote]

Get over yourself, I was referring to the OP's post who clearly stated they were using the "lite" version which is free. So you don't have to take offense because I was not talking to you.if I was talking to you I would have quoted you.

i do have the lite version so i guess i haven't paid anything for the privilege of having my handicap calculated incorrectly. but i do have a friend who uses the paid version like Aithos and his is also calculated incorrectly.

regarding something you said earlier Aithos, i haven't entered any partial scores, 9 holes or otherwise and its still giving me the wrong numbers. at this point i might just give it up.