2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

After a lot of research I went back to Sky Caddie

It was time to replace my SG3, a reliable unit with few issues other than an on again/off again 4-8 yard accuracy discrepency, really slow satelite lock, and lacking the many new features that have come along since '06. Rather than apply higher math to reconcile the accuracy issue I deemed it time to upgrade. Many nice choices out there these days and several turned my head. For instance, I was smitten by the Garmin G6 amongst others. Great features, accurate, highly rated and no annual fee. Some others looked promising and also charged no fee. As many posters will note and I agree, Sky Caddie has some frustrating issues. Sync is terrible and customer service can be hit or miss (and when they "miss" they miss big time). The annual fee and laboriously slow course upgrades to the premium features (quick to promise but slow to deliver) suggest a company that allocates far too much money to marketing and too little in actually delivering. The horrible lauch of the SGX is just classic. I posted a few comments at the time chiding people whose expectations were elevated by hyped up marketing and then dashed by the actual performance of a product that was not ready for prime time at launched. You could track the euphoria of their anticipation followed by the disappointment of the reality.

So, why did I go back to Sky Caddie? In short, the features and the deal. I bought the SGX about the time my renewal was due for the the SG3 membership I didn't see the need to spend $100 for WiFi. Heck, Holiday Inn Express gives you free WiFi, you would think Sky Caddie could do the same. I don't need touch screen as my unit is cart mounted and I'm not sure just how accurate touch screen can be on a 2.5" screen. Mostly, i just want to look at go although toggling to a layup distance is sometimes important. The display is superior to all the models and I want yardages that are walked not derived by satelite. The stat feature is excellent and the general navigation is decent. What Sky Caddie has done to impress me is that they make it right -- customer service aside -- they will upgrade their software and firmware and produce what they say (with the possible exception of the club sensor thing). Something about competition can bring out the best in companies in it for the long haul.

And the deal: They advertize the SGX for $299, after a $50.00 discount, and then list either a trade in or something called "Loyalty Bucks." I've been with them since '07 so I figured I had earned some kind of "loyalty bucks" or whatever but, no. Just another marketing scam that is unexplained. However, the customer service agent noted that I had been a long time customer and gave me $70 off on top of the $50 discount and I could keep my SG3. Add the extra goodies (free in state membership plan, skin, case, car charger, screen protector when you renew your membership) and for me it was a no brainer. Yeah, I don't like the annual membership but I do play around the country. Yeah, I wish they would get all the courses mapped at the premium level, and yeah they need to clean up their software to something a bit a above a Commadore 64, but to me the puts and takes brought me back home to Sky Caddie. If I'm disappointed it is a sure bet I'll post a followup.

Bottom line: very functional GPS with a decent deal. Anyone need an SG3?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After a couple of weeks of using the SGX I wanted to follow up. The good: This unit boots and gains satelite lock much faster than my SG3. The display is excellent and very readable. Accuracy is also improved over the SG3. The new features are very good and quite usable. Much to like in the SGX!

The bad: The right soft button on my unit is balky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't This has not prevented me from most functions as the joysick can control most, but not all. I've run diagnostics a couple of times and the right soft key will often fail, but not always. Thinking that the button might loosen up with a little use I thought I would give the unit some time. Time is up. The key continues to fail routinely which means you can't zoom in when on the course and perhaps other functions not yet discovered. So, back she goes. This is disappointing to me as I'm sure the many returns by others have been disappointing and frustrating. And getting a refurb unit to replace a two week old unit also disappointing -- indeed more than irritating. Bottom line: I took the risk and came up disappointed. To me, SGX is one of the top GPS out there...when they work. When they don't you get all the angry posts that have plagued this launch. Buyer beware.

My first SGX stopped picking up satellites within the first two weeks as well. I was overnighted a brand new unit in the same packaging as when store bought. I then had to return the old unit pretty quickly. Fantastic, the way it should be done. I hope you got their extended warranty.

The bad: There hasn't been a software update in over a year for the SGX. (Mind you, while it would be nice to have a feature or two from the SGXw, mine works perfectly).

[quote name='Oldnavycdr' timestamp='1342982475' post='5328692']
The right soft button on my unit is balky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't This has not prevented me from most functions as the joysick can control most, but not all.
[/quote]

Sometimes that happens to me and it happened on the SGX and SGXw. What I figured it out to be is the screen has displayed but it was not ready to accept input from the buttons yet. I have to remember that I cannot push a button right after a screen displays, I have a wait a few seconds.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

After waiting the hold time with Skygolf and the agent/tech reviewed the button problem described they shipped out a new unit, switched out the serial numbers on the account, loaded my courses to that serial number and I am back in business. All the functions seem to work so if it holds lock on the satelites then I'm back in business. Credit where credit is due: Skycaddie made good on their warranty, shipped a new one with an RMA to return the first unit and did this in 3 days time. Taking it to the course tomorrow.

[b]I tried a few lasers and a callaway u pro in a effort to change from sky caddie and with each other option i tried i always returned to the sky caddie , plain and simple it was easiest to use always worked and the yardages were mainly close to right on when compared to other devices and laser measured markers in the fairways and with the re-chargable battreries i never had any power issues , i know there is a fee but i do not mind paying it because the unit just works great [/b]

I started with a 3, upgraded to a 5, and now have the sgxw. I must be one of the fortunate few, or like most owners, have no issues to vent on a (relatively) obscure website. (I say obscure because most everyone I've met on a golf course has never even heard of GolfWRX, nor have an inclination to visit once told of its existence)

I gripe a bit with the yearly renewal, but that's more from a 'do I have to?' perspective rather than a monetary one.

I've been playing a bunch of new courses this year, and many have more than one blind shot that has to be executed. The hole layout has been a godsend for keeping the ball in play and in position.

Good enough for me. :)

Primary bag:
Titleist 913 D3 8.5
Titleist 915Fd 13.5
Titleist 913h 17
Mizuno MP-18 4-PW
Scratch wedges 50, 55, and 60
Bettinardi mid-shank putter

Backup bag:
Ping G400 9
Ping G30 fw 13
Ping G30 hybrid 19