2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Feedback on swing please

Stevewmac

I'd appreciate if anyone can offer any feedback on my swing. I need to fix my inconsistencies. Sorry for my poor video, my buddy filmed on his iphone. I'm hoping to do some more captures at high speed later many thanks. First is a 5 iron dtl then driver face on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IesrGU_J4yU&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMddlf347LM&feature=youtu.be

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, the steepness does sound like something i can relate to. I've been coming across for some time now and normally have a very controllable fade but i'm sort of losing control now. I think a lot of it is down to tension, it particularly happens on holes where i absolutely can't go left. Isn't it always the way? I used to hit the draw and couldn't fade the ball no matter how hard i tried but i've played my best golf since changing to the fade.

I don't hit the draw very much these days. Only when i need to, for instance if i'm blocked by a tree and the draw is the only shot. Occasionally i'll hit a draw off the tee with my 3 wood but never really with the driver.

As for picking targets etc, trouble never used to bother me, water would never be an issue. I think i'm just not as comfortable as i used to be as i've lost a little confidence. If i can solve the issues with my swing, hopefully the confidence will return. I'm working on it and hope to have far better footage of my swing next week. Ideally i can record a good swing and one with the pull to compare them.

I actually suck and shouldnt be giving advice. i just know that where the ball starts is always your swing path. And what it ends up doing is clubface. I cant tell from from the camera angle, but where is your clubhead in the takeaway when the shaft is parallel to the ground? if its inside your toe line it would be considered an inside takeaway. it looks like it could be inside, but the camera angle leaves me unsure.
if its too inside you have no choice but to bring it down outside of that line. which could create inconsistancy. the backswing can help to be like a precursor or mirror for the downswing. again not sure here though. Goodluck.

You are a big dude, GRIP IT AND RIP IT, you swinging way too slow, drivers you go after, that swing is fine to 3/4 an iron for accuracy, but driver, you aren't going after it, so get some speed, various ways to do that, more upright, higher swing plane, big wristcock at top and mostly fast hips, your belt buckle should be facing target at impact, fully rotated to created the leveraged hit, also your hand position at address is too forward, point the shaft at your belly button.

[quote name='akiracornell' timestamp='1346988252' post='5600097']
i just know that where the ball starts is always your swing path. And what it ends up doing is clubface.
[/quote]

Didn't they just disprove this rather unintuitive belief? They used to think that a glancing blow would still drive the ball in the direction of the club movement because of ball compression or something, now they realize there's no getting away from the angle of impact imparting the initial direction on the ball. Isn't this the recent breakthrough in the ball flight laws?

Thanks for the reply. I already hit the ball plenty far enough i feel, regularly 300 with the driver and 205 with a 5 iron. I've been swinging with that tempo for years and feel swinging faster would hurt me more.

[quote name='1player' timestamp='1347129115' post='5607825']
You are a big dude, GRIP IT AND RIP IT, you swinging way too slow, drivers you go after, that swing is fine to 3/4 an iron for accuracy, but driver, you aren't going after it, so get some speed, various ways to do that, more upright, higher swing plane, big wristcock at top and mostly fast hips, your belt buckle should be facing target at impact, fully rotated to created the leveraged hit, also your hand position at address is too forward, point the shaft at your belly button.
[/quote]

Your body languange is deceptive. It does look slow; but if those are your yardages; Wow. We have a ernie els in the house.
Btw everyone, my round of golf today proves i should not be giving advice. I may disappear for while. No more internet golf. I need to work on me. Gonna go take a lesson from local coach. See if can work on my tendencies. Peace out all.

[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1347129942' post='5607863']
i just know that where the ball starts is always your swing path. And what it ends up doing is clubface.
[/quote]

Didn't they just disprove this rather unintuitive belief? They used to think that a glancing blow would still drive the ball in the direction of the club movement because of ball compression or something, now they realize there's no getting away from the angle of impact imparting the initial direction on the ball. Isn't this the recent breakthrough in the ball flight laws?
[/quote]
Im kinda lost. Would you agree a pull fade is coming across with square face to the target. Or is this a straight ball that fades. A peull is coming across with the face square to the swing path. A draw is an in to out swing with face square to the target. Or would it start out straight then hook? A push is in to out with the face square to the path.

I just cant fathom if you hit somthing at 100+mph it wont follow the path of the club at all? Maybe im wrong? If it is so; then the ball goes where the face is and the path imparts the spin; a draw would technically be open at impact and the path more outward than that. Thats seems to make sense also.my mind tells me it seems dynamically it would be a factor of both. I must know now, are there any techys out there that can verify this?

[quote name='akiracornell' timestamp='1347155936' post='5609673']
Your body languange is deceptive. It does look slow; but if those are your yardages; Wow. We have a ernie els in the house.
Btw everyone, my round of golf today proves i should not be giving advice. I may disappear for while. No more internet golf. I need to work on me. Gonna go take a lesson from local coach. See if can work on my tendencies. Peace out all.
[/quote]

I'd say my averages are just that, average for a low handicap player. I'm not sure on my average driver distance, i'd guess around 290. Drove it well yesterday but hit a couple of the low pulls which hurt my score a little. It was better yesterday though.

[quote name='Stevewmac' timestamp='1347154883' post='5609569']
Thanks for the reply. I already hit the ball plenty far enough i feel, regularly 300 with the driver and 205 with a 5 iron. I've been swinging with that tempo for years and feel swinging faster would hurt me more.

[quote name='1player' timestamp='1347129115' post='5607825']
[/quote]
[/quote]

300 that easy
Yep
Big dude
U want 350
Do what I say
300 no big deal
Big guys hit it 350+
not over swinging

That must have been a pretty lazy swing in the face-on driver if you drive 290-ish. I stopped the vid and it looks like an early release as well, you must sstep on it to get it out there that far.

Swing looks like it should be pretty consistent to me. You take it back a little inside which I suppose could contribute to getting a bit out of position at the top sometimes, food for thought.

[quote name='akiracornell' timestamp='1347156673' post='5609751']
[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1347129942' post='5607863']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Im kinda lost. Would you agree a pull fade is coming across with square face to the target. Or is this a straight ball that fades. A peull is coming across with the face square to the swing path. A draw is an in to out swing with face square to the target. Or would it start out straight then hook? A push is in to out with the face square to the path.

I just cant fathom if you hit somthing at 100+mph it wont follow the path of the club at all? Maybe im wrong? If it is so; then the ball goes where the face is and the path imparts the spin; a draw would technically be open at impact and the path more outward than that. Thats seems to make sense also.my mind tells me it seems dynamically it would be a factor of both. I must know now, are there any techys out there that can verify this?
[/quote]

You should be able to google "ball flight laws" and get the whole ongoing debate. I think the bottom line is they have decided what you would expect to be the case actually is the case. Ball strats in direction of club face. Ball spins based on the difference between club face angle and path.

I'm not sure if it was a lazy swing or not, may have been but i don't think a non lazy swing would look much faster to be honest. Anyway, the distance thing is off topic. The early release you spotted is correct, i think i have always had it. I'm sure i just normally time it well, perhaps that is part of my problem. My hands at impact are never far enough forwards. As i mentioned earlier, I'm going to try and shoot some more swings, hopefully capture both good and bad to see the difference. Heopfully someone can shed light on it. Thanks for the help.

[quote name='Stevewmac' timestamp='1347248107' post='5614913']
I'm not sure if it was a lazy swing or not, may have been but i don't think a non lazy swing would look much faster to be honest. Anyway, the distance thing is off topic. The early release you spotted is correct, i think i have always had it. I'm sure i just normally time it well, perhaps that is part of my problem. My hands at impact are never far enough forwards. As i mentioned earlier, I'm going to try and shoot some more swings, hopefully capture both good and bad to see the difference. Heopfully someone can shed light on it. Thanks for the help.
[/quote] ..well... from my new understanding of ball flight laws, if you play a cut, and you occasionally get a pull; your path is already slighly across, on both. One cuts the other pulls, possibly say on occasion the hands have turned too far over. Back of the left hand pointed left. Now whether or not theres another move leading to that? Have you ever asked someone what did i do there? They may or mat not see it. you do have a quiet body in your swing. No big dynamic moves, or mayb there is? The swing happens so fast we cant really always self diagnose unless you clearly felt it. But outside eyes can see sometimes. If you put a bad one on film you will probably see it.

OP: the biggest problem you have is on the takeaway. You take the club way inside on the way back, so it gets behind you and across the line. This is the perfect setup for the two way miss. It looks like you figured this out somewhere along the line, and come slightly OTT and hold off on your release so the ball goes straight or cuts slightly.

I would suggest working on getting the clubhead outside the ball on the way back. This will feel very awkward. Only when it feels extremely awkward will you be getting this move correct. Once you get this correct, then you need to make sure you come down inside instead of OTT. Once you get these two things right, you can release the club more naturally at impact.

Good luck!

I absolutely do come OTT a little. I played this morning and i'm pretty sure i figured out the issue. For some reason, i'm not sure if it's tension as this pulled shot only happens really on holes with a lot of trouble on the left but for some reason, i feel like my hips stall and it causes my hands to become too active. Felt liked i kept my hips moving and my hands were very quiet today. Hit a lot of straight drives, 1 slightly pulled iron and one pulled 3 wood. So now that i know my issue, i can either stick with making sure my hips keep moving and hands quiet or i fix my OTT once and for all.

Thanks for all the help.

I'm uploading 2 new movies taken this morning. I know i have to work on my takeaway, sucking it inside. Looking at the videos i se a couple of issues i need help with. Firstly, i seem to lean towards the target on my takeaway and i've no idea why? Secondly, my hands are too far back at impact. Do i need to just work on feeling i'm getting them further ahead or is it caused by something else? Ball too far forward, too much lateral shift on the downswing? I'd appreciate any help. The hands position at impact is what causes my inconsistency issues i think. If i'm confident and have a good tempo, i play well but lose a little of either and i'm struggling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tah2dtqZDnI&feature=youtu.be
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHZyOEtwM2E&feature=youtu.be

[quote name='DLiver' timestamp='1347278730' post='5615779']
OP: the biggest problem you have is on the takeaway. You take the club way inside on the way back, so it gets behind you and across the line. This is the perfect setup for the two way miss. It looks like you figured this out somewhere along the line, and come slightly OTT and hold off on your release so the ball goes straight or cuts slightly.

I would suggest working on getting the clubhead outside the ball on the way back. This will feel very awkward. Only when it feels extremely awkward will you be getting this move correct. Once you get this correct, then you need to make sure you come down inside instead of OTT. Once you get these two things right, you can release the club more naturally at impact.

Good luck!
[/quote]

This is good stuff.
It's alot of work however..If you dont want to put that much effort in your swing. I would say just hold your hinge of your wrist a touch longer.. your not that far off.

A good drill for the flip move at impact is to hear the woosh sound after impact. You could flip the club around holding the shaft and really hear the woosh.. Then there is another drill.. choke up on the shaft maybe 4 to 5 inches on the steel and make sure the grip doesn't hit you in the side as you swing... This is just to get the feeling you need to have at impact.

well the widening of the stance i was looking at your 1st post of the second video. The rest of the vid's don't look that bad.

Good Luck -