2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Chronic Slice/Fade

Hey guys, I have been improving pretty significantly over the last year and a half, but definitely have some hitches that are holding me back.

My main problem is a slice/fade that rears its ugly head about every other round or so; obviously the slice is worse with the driver and goes down with the club. I have been working on getting my right hand more active and engaging through the swing, as I like to let it lag behind and leave the club face open at impact. However, I do know there are some pretty significant problems in my swing as well.

My 2 main issues are: the spare tire I like to carry around the mid section and the over the top movement at the end of my backswing... Any help on how to fix that backswing problem?

Also, any other glaring issues you guys see? Be kind!

The video has several swings from the side and behind with a 6i and also a driver.

Thanks for the help!

[media=]http://youtu.be/HRwP3y1cbaE[/media]

A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1525460-docs-trouble-makers-part-deux/"]WITB Link[/url]

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any other comments?

I am really working hard on the repositioning at the top, hard habit to break... What can I do to work on my alignment and follow-through (I feel like I short arm it, instead of extending to the target)?

a good day at work!
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1525460-docs-trouble-makers-part-deux/"]WITB Link[/url]

I tend to slice when in dont finish pivoting my body, the hands stop turning also.
To help get on plane dont let your right elbow get too far away from your ribs at the top. U might have to get an inch closer at address. Contrary; you could look at pros who let the right elbow fly at the top; but they know how to get back inside with the left arm not coming over. Its easier to copy jason dufners right elbow at the top in my opinon. As it will help force you to already have the shaft inside and not let if get away over the top.
Elbows in, pivot your whole body and bring down inside. I would say work one at a time and try and tie it together over time.
Practice in the grass. If you dont get results with a ball you will go back to the only way you know how to make solid contact. Trying to make good contact with a new swing is the hard part. Everthing has to come together. Swing plane, hands/club face, full pivot, decending down on ball, body alingnment. You can only focus on one at time, and eventually tie it all together. look how dufners right elbow forces the shaft to stay on flatter plane coming down inside. [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x2m-EWi910[/media]
[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSG6kaiP6nQ[/media]

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Chirotennis,

Similar to akiracornell above -

Try making a conscious thought to tuck your right elbow into your side as your first move down into the ball. This should promote an inside-out swing and stop you swinging too much with your arms, which is causing the over the top movement.

You can help promote this during set-up by relaxing your right arm into your chest at address.

I researched all sorts of fixes for my slice but nothing seemed to work until I went for a lesson and the pro told me that. It clicked with me and hope it works for you too.

At your halfway back position the club is closed. Which would tell me more than likely that your club is closed at the top unless you manipulated the club. Also, like the people have described above with the right elbow tucking in more to get the club laid off on the downswing. Personally, I like to fix the over the top move is to keep my back to the target, for as long as i can on the downswing.

• 2 months later...

Been a while since you posted this so you may have it somewhat fixed. My swing looked identical to this about 1 year ago, and my almost immediate fix had to do with the plane of my hands. Had a lesson with a pro and the only thing he did was make me hit long punch shots with a 5 iron, and really concentrate on keeping my hands as close to to my core as possible on the backswing and the downswing. It's almost like you the end of the club handle is going to scrape you manhood. This drill, along with getting a little hip hire as well took away my slice forever(so far) in 2-3 months of practicing 2-3 days a week for a couple of hours.

My pro said I would start hitting draws and I have, and those would eventually turn into hooks, and that's the natural progression of improvement for most players. I' m straitening out the hook and have never hit it better, further, and with a smaller miss.

• 1 month later...

Your just too steep on impact, shallow it out and you'll gain heaps of consistency... looks like my swing 3 months ago.

Main cause of what your doing is because your trying to hit the ball from the top of the swing there needs to be zero force on the club till deep into the impact zone, exerting force at the top of the swing causes you to try and hit over the top of the ball (casting)

[quote name='Typhoontimmy' timestamp='1358410982' post='6244911']
Your just too steep on impact, shallow it out and you'll gain heaps of consistency... looks like my swing 3 months ago.

Main cause of what your doing is because your trying to hit the ball from the top of the swing there needs to be zero force on the club till deep into the impact zone, exerting force at the top of the swing causes you to try and hit over the top of the ball (casting)
[/quote]

You hit the nail on the head. Casting is the cause of your inconsistency. You are initiating your downswing with your arms. When you do that, it is quite easy to throw the club at the ball, because you are already ahead of your hips. For me, your first move should be a lateral move with your hips. This move will create room for your arms and club to drop inside. From there, it will be easier to hit down on the ball with force rather than your casting move which creates a lack of power and consistency.

Thanks for all the help guys, it has been very beneficial. Through lots of trial and error, my slice has become a nice even draw. My miss (on average) is now a pleasant 5-10 yd fade instead of the horrific 40 yd slice...

a good day at work!

Kschneid is on the money here you are definetly casting the club from the top. Like he said you need to try and intiate your downswing with your lower body which will allow your arms to "fall" down instead of going out at the ball. Some people like to think of starting their downswing with their lower body other people like to think about letting there arms "fall" down as they start their downswing. Try both and see which thought works best for you they are essentially doing the same thing.

On another issue I also think you would benefit from trying to "hit the ball to right field" as your swing path is very much over the top and to the left. If you can feel as though your follow through is to right field and release the club this should help shallow out the club. Give it a try. Hope you keep improving