TGC is a Joke

ava08

Let me know what you think. This has been brewing for a very long time, and has finally come to a head, in my he. I watch The Golf Channel every night for the "news" and typically enjoy it. That being said, and I know it's a rating booster, but what the hell is with talking about Tiger every second of the show. My God, if someone has a hole-in-one, they talk about it for 2 seconds and dedicate 30 minutes to the holes-in-one Tiger had throughout his career. To further my fustration if Ms. Wie (can't take it any more please please please go to your own tour) is in a tourney, it does'nt matter if a one arm man goes super low, her 85 would be the talk of the entire postgame show.

I think my fustration comes from feeling bad, for the guys who are barely somebodies out there, or on the comeback trail (D.D.), going out and playing great rounds and getting crap for coverage.

Hey I think Tiger just sneezed there will be an update about the sneeze, and every sneeze since birth at 11:30

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me know what you think. This has been brewing for a very long time, and has finally come to a head, in my he. I watch The Golf Channel every night for the "news" and typically enjoy it. That being said, and I know it's a rating booster, but what the hell is with talking about Tiger every second of the show. My God, if someone has a hole-in-one, they talk about it for 2 seconds and dedicate 30 minutes to the holes-in-one Tiger had throughout his career. To further my fustration if Ms. Wie (can't take it any more please please please go to your own tour) is in a tourney, it does'nt matter if a one arm man goes super low, her 85 would be the talk of the entire postgame show.

I think my fustration comes from feeling bad, for the guys who are barely somebodies out there, or on the comeback trail (D.D.), going out and playing great rounds and getting crap for coverage.

Hey I think Tiger just sneezed there will be an update about the sneeze, and every sneeze since birth at 11:30

No different than any other network coverage.

Tiger and Wie are who the great unwashed want to watch and hear about.

And frankly, I don't want to hear about the barely somebodies out there, but some good stories are indeed missed - like DD today. But a great many golf fans have forgotten who Duval even is by now. It doesn't take very long for someone to fall out of public knowledge.

I agree with you. Everything is Tiger Tiger Tiger. If someone else asks him if he's excited about being a father I'm gonna go nuts. You can even see it in his responses that he's had enough. I understand he is the best golfer in the world and also the most recognized athlete in the world but enough is enough. I love to watch Tiger play. He can do things on the golf course that most people cannot even comprehend, but they are just going overboard. I think most of it has to due with the fact that TGC just got their new coverage deal this year and they want and need the ratings, and at the end of the day Tiger is the guy to get them what they need. But what about the rest of the guys??????? I guess we'll have to wait and see!

TM SLDR 10.5* Diamana Kai'li S
Cleveland 588 14* Matrix Radix S
Ping g20 17* S
Callaway Apex 4-aw s300
Cleveland 54* & 60* RTX
TM Spider Counterbalance

TGC is flopping in my opinion. Atleast with ABC, NBC and CBS on thurs-fri coverage, if Tiger played early, they would show his highlights, and get on with showing actual golf. Although I cant stand Tiger, I understand he brings in ratings. And on that note, is it just me or does Kelly Tilghman's heart flutter any and everytime Tiger is mentioned? More Phil, more Ernie, Adam, Vijay and anyone else when Tiger"s round is over!

I agree with you. Everything is Tiger Tiger Tiger. If someone else asks him if he's excited about being a father I'm gonna go nuts. You can even see it in his responses that he's had enough. I understand he is the best golfer in the world and also the most recognized athlete in the world but enough is enough. I love to watch Tiger play. He can do things on the golf course that most people cannot even comprehend, but they are just going overboard. I think most of it has to due with the fact that TGC just got their new coverage deal this year and they want and need the ratings, and at the end of the day Tiger is the guy to get them what they need. But what about the rest of the guys??????? I guess we'll have to wait and see!

Except it is not just the Golf Channel.

Networks, even their news shows, are not interested in informing the public. They are entertainment, and they will show what entertains the most people. Tiger is what most people want to see, so that is what they are going to show.

I actually like Faldo, but I can't stand the other guy in the booth who keeps trying to go ESPN with his versions of "BOOYAH" did he really say the camera couldn't follow Tigers ball as his father droped from heaven on the par 3 tee shot?

please shoot me now.

Also the TGC is never critical of equipment companies and does puff pieces that are just gratuites infomercials for them.

IMHO

Trickyric

Tiger Golf Channel????

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

I actually think TGC is doing good. First, I think Faldo is great. He's honest and funny. Case in point...

Vaughn Taylor dropped a 50 foot putt, and Tilghman says Taylor is great with the flatstick. Up comes his 75 today, and Faldo immediately quips "Well then he better whip the other stick in shape pretty quickly" :drinks:

I do wish they'd get more into the details. For example, in Hawaii VJ said he knew he had a swing fault all the second half of last year, but didn't think he could fix it until the offseason and had been working on it....great...now ask a question about what it was...how he fixed it...etc. Don't just go to the next question on your list.

Also, there are some great stories brewing with young up and coming Americans - like Steve Marino, Johnson Wagner...why not do a feature on them. All they care about is the long guys like Watson, Holmes, etc...these guys will be much better than those two long ballers.

Well guys...

For most of the people... Tiger woods is the reason they conciously or subconciously started to play golf.. I personally think they its a good play.

Who should they concentrate more than the champion himself?

If you a currently under the age of 16 years old you might be right. Tiger hasn't been around long enough to have made "most" people take up the game.

Well guys...

For most of the people... Tiger woods is the reason they conciously or subconciously started to play golf.. I personally think they its a good play.

If you a currently under the age of 16 years old you might be right. Tiger hasn't been around long enough to have made "most" people take up the game.

So everyone picked up the game prior to being 16?

By the way, anyone who was 16 when Tiger turned pro would be 26 now.

Well guys...

So everyone picked up the game prior to being 16?

By the way, anyone who was 16 when Tiger turned pro would be 26 now.

Nod Nod...

Most peeps I know played golf coz of tiger woods directly or indirectly.. You have to give him credit for changing the world of golf. Well, I like to think I picked up golf because of Paula Creamer.. oh well thats too late.

Like Every body know Michael Jordan, and wow.. everybody plays basketball... We are human, and most of us have secret need a role model and wants to be a hero.

As far as Tiger goes, I think its great, BUT for one reason...being in law school I really don't have ANY time to watch the tournaments anymore. So therefore it is nice to watch maybe five or ten minutes of coverage and see all of his shots if he is playing well. Thats a little premature however, as its been one round. I do NOT want to watch that 5 or 10 minutes if he is cruising to a 74. If thats the case, I think they will focus more on the leaders. I guess we will see.

On the other hand, TGC is becoming a joke very quickly. A few weeks ago, I think at the Sony, they listed Robert Allenby at 12 under (maybe only 11). When I checked the scores the next day, he was only 9 under. After posting on here to determine the discrepancy existed because TGC got the incorrect info from an unofficial scorer, I was confused, but no big deal, they made a mistake.

Then, today I am watching on the 'net to see what JB Holmes finished up at. They posted him for a birdie on NC9, his 18th. That put him at 7 under. HOWEVER, just checked the scores, he shot 6 under. Whats the DEAL!!!

Oh and another note on Tiger, I enjoy watching him when he is playing well, mainly because as a former college golfer, watching him when he is swinging well really seems to get me into a good rhythm as well...therefore I always liked practicing after watching him play well...

just my $0.02.

Head on a stick, you are right not everyone starts playing as a youngster. My post was misleading there. But I can't see an adult taking up the game because of it's main star, Tiger, Micheal Jordan who ever. On the other hand I could see a younger person early teens or younger doing so.

I turn 30 next month, and I picked up golf at 28

The reason I picked it up, my brother got me hooked on Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004

So I'm older than 16 (by far) and Tiger indirectly is the reason I play and love golf

Granted they spend alot of time on Tiger, but he brought many people into the sport and continues to bring people to it

Don't get me wrong, I love watching all of them play, but I like watching who's hot that day and going low, if it isn't Tiger so be it, show the leader

Back to TGC. The coverage is driving me CRAZY! As much as I love to watch golf it's ALMOST better if I watch it on mute now. What's up with their country song they play at the beginning of every PGA telecast? Is it just me or does anyone else have to fast forward through that rubbish (at least if you watching your DVR). Do they think this guy is Hank Williams Jr and this is monday night football or something? I hope things start to gel a little better as they get settled in. Kelly sounds like a programmed android and Nick tries SOOOOOO hard to be funny to the point where it's annoying. Oh well, I guess we have the option of changing the channel if we want.

I can't cook like Gordon Ramsey but I know when I eat a bad meal.

I can't play like Nick Faldo or Kelly Tilghman but I know when golf coverage is rubbish.

I like Faldo a lot (then again, I am a Brit). He's unwound a lot from the golf machine he once was. His comments are sharp and often insight with the occasional bit of humour. Tilghman appears to be an archetype of the plastic anchors that are prevalent in US television. No insight, no opinions, no rocking the boat, just the lines off the auto-cue.

Where I really have trouble is that the editorial line is fairly mindless. When they spout the official PGA line that Tiger is still on to break Byron's winning streak of consecutive victories while everyone (including Tiger) knows that this streak was broken last year. When they spend more time on Tiger's round than the guy that was 9 under after nine. Tiger is a legend no doubt but when he is upstaged, lets see who's doing it! There's also the constant uncritical acceptance of vapid comments.

Sure, if we don't like the coverage we don't have to watch it but when they are the only source it's pretty galling to have to watch a sub standard effort from people who should know better.

Head on a stick, you are right not everyone starts playing as a youngster. My post was misleading there. But I can't see an adult taking up the game because of it's main star, Tiger, Micheal Jordan who ever. On the other hand I could see a younger person early teens or younger doing so.

Depends on what you mean when you say someone picked up the game "because" of Tiger.

I began playing when I was 34. That was ten years ago, and truth be told I picked up the game because fo Tiger Woods, or more precisely because of the buzz about the game the young man generated. I started watching more. It didn't seem like the old man's game I thought it was for so long. I finally went and played with my Dad (there's a lot of years missed.) Up 'till then, I couldn't imagine how anyone played such a stupid game. I played Baseball, football and hockey through college. Racquetball was a mainstay of my free time. Hell, the ball didn't even move in golf.

Tiger made it look less dorky somehow.

So I picked it up because of Tiger Woods. Not in the way I believe you are thinking; no hero worship or anything like that. Just a new awareness of the game because Tiger Woods made coverage interesting, and waching fun.

I imagine Jack did the same thing in his generation. And so on.