Need some help with putter type vs. eye dominance, alignment, etc.
KMeloney Members Posted: WRX Points: 308Handicap:[email protected] 7Posts: 5,018 Titanium Tees
Looking for rules-of-thumb/general info on fittingHey all,
Just wondering if I could compile, in one post, some of the rules-of-thumb and general info regarding suiting a putter to an individual, as well as how a given putting style will translate into ball path, etc.
For starters, I am extremely left-eye dominant (I have bigtime astigmatism in my right eye only), putt and play righty, and am 6'-0" tall. I have a 34" HS Spider that I like a lot -- but, I'm willing to also believe that it is not "optimized" for me, or that I'll need to make some set-up adjustments with it.
Based on this info, I'm looking for feedback on the following:
- What set-up tends to best suit the eye of a left-eye-dominant righty golfer? And why?
- Does eye-dominance play in a roll in center-shaft vs. heel shaft? What about a plumber's neck vs. double bend shaft? (I just can't putt well with blade putters, so keep mallets in mind for this discussion, please.)
- What combination tends to promote pushes/open alignement, and which promotes pulls/closed alignment? (I've seen this written somewhere, but don't recall the answer.)
- Is there a putter set-up that best suits a more upright putter path (ball closer to the feet), and one that best suits a stroke with more shaft lean (ball further from the feet)?
- Based on the previous question, without altering the shaft (bending the putter), will one ball/stroke position promote a pull or push?
Rather than just practicing trying to make the ball go into the hole, and knowing that I have some depth perception issues (btw, my left eye sees 20/20, so no problem with general vision -- just the vision in the right eye is a problem when only using that eye), I was hoping to get a better sense of some generalities that I can embrace/compensate for.
For example, if I could generalize that with the heel-shafted Spider, with the shaft more upright, with left-eye dominance, the putter will LOOK square but actually be aimed slightly LEFT, then I'd like to understand that an make adjustments.
/< / /2 /<
Joined : 03 12, 2007
Last seen : Yesterday around 7pm