Art and/or Science

nobreak1970 ·  
nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
Gotta love it
Below is a link to an older article about putters and quotes regarding the Art and Science of Putter Design from many famous, and not so famous designers/manufacturers. I am curious as to what people think now vs. 4 years ago when this was published, and with whom you ultimately agree with concerning the subject.

I personally side with John Solheim's quote about this subject..."...the science is the art..."

Tell me what you think.

Here's the article:

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0HF..._53/ai_94406240

Thanks guys...enjoy, and I look forward to hearing everyone's view.

Peace.
Posted:

Comments

• nobreak1970nobreak1970 Members  586WRX Points: 0Posts: 586
    I guess people just don't like reading and love posting eye candy here. ROTFL

Yep, blatant bump on my part. **** it's late.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • nosilnosil Members  798WRX Points: 67Posts: 798 Golden Tee
    I kind of agree with T.P. Mills.

'You can design the best putter in the world. That's science. But if you can't sell it, it's not worth a dime. That's art.'

Look at many of the putter designs that are around. What looks great to one person (futura, detour, craz-e, groove tube, pipe, sabertooth, spider, etc) is an ugly mess to another. These putters have incorporated science to make the putter function better. When we find that they work, we send them to the Lamonts of the world to add some stamps, torch it, refinish it, etc. We make posts on GolfWRX about out beautiful new putter. I don't think I have read a post that talks about the technology of a putter that doesn't get a image/worth.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':worth:' /> thrown in somewhere.

What is wrong with that rusty old putter in the corner that always made that clutch 5 footer? It is in the corner becuase I found a new putter that looks beautiful probably not one that putts better. We continually say the everyone copies the Anser, but have we ever really sat back and try to determine if there have been any scientific improvements to make the design better or do we just accept that you can't make a better mousetrap.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.