2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What can I fill the 14th spot in my bag with

Current Bag

Driver 10.5 degree

5 wood 18 degree (may turn down loft for gapping purposes depending on where distance shakes out)

3 hybrid 19 degree

5i 22 degree

6i 25.5 degree

7i 29 degree

8i 33 degree

9i 37 degree (retro spec)

PW 42.5 degree (retro spec) 

48 degree

54 degree 

60 degree

putter

now I know the easy answer would be a 3 wood however I don’t hit it that well and took it out of bag for a 5 wood. I also removed the 4 iron as the 5i has pretty strong loft already So I am sitting at 13/14 clubs. I’m looking for something that could gap nicely at the top of my bag or be used as a specialty club (driving iron, crossover, 2H or something along those lines as my strengths lie with my hybrid/ longer irons). My main question is what are some options or recommendations that as I have never experimented with anything outside of standard loft woods and hybrids so I don’t know where to begin in the realm of specific scenario clubs or driving irons/ low loft hybrids (<16.5 degrees). Any suggestions are appreciated. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3puttforbogey said:

Current Bag

Driver 10.5 degree

5 wood 18 degree (may turn down loft for gapping purposes depending on where distance shakes out)

3 hybrid 19 degree

5i 22 degree

6i 25.5 degree

7i 29 degree

8i 33 degree

48 degree

54 degree 

60 degree

putter

now I know the easy answer would be a 3 wood however I don’t hit it that well and took it out of bag for a 5 wood. I also removed the 4 iron as the 5i has pretty strong loft already So I am sitting at 13/14 clubs. I’m looking for something that could gap nicely at the top of my bag or be used as a specialty club (driving iron, crossover, 2H or something along those lines as my strengths lie with my hybrid/ longer irons). My main question is what are some options or recommendations that as I have never experimented with anything outside of standard loft woods and hybrids so I don’t know where to begin in the realm of specific scenario clubs or driving irons/ low loft hybrids (<16.5 degrees). Any suggestions are appreciated. 

Mini driver?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3puttforbogey said:

I was considering going 46 50 54 60. I Just know saying I want to Carry 5 wedges is sometimes seen as crazy.

Regardless- 42* isn't a wedge, at least not in my opinion - that's my 9i loft

• Like 3

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

Why do you need 14 clubs.  Today I played with 10 (usually 12-13) because a couple were getting reshafted, if you aren’t lacking a club for any shot you face on the course, why carry the extra.  If I was to add, I woukd add a wedge over a longer club. 

• Like 1

Driver - Testing in Progress

7W - Taylormade Ti Bubble II

4-5 Hybrids - Cleveland Halo XL (21*, 24*)

7i - GW - Titleist T200 7-GW

GW - Taylormade MG3 52*

SW - Sub70 JB Forged 56*

LW - Sub70 JB Forged 62*

Putter - Sled 01 (for thr moment)

Ball - Srixon Q Star

Since your user name is 3puttforbogey I wonder if there is room in there for a second putter? Perhaps a putter for long putts and another putter for the short ones? Or just a second putter for when the first putter isn't performing?  

• Haha 1

Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
Srixon ZX5 5 - PW Modus 105 Regular 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 48°/9° & 52°/11°, RTX 3 58°/9°
Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter

20* utility/driving iron? With enough speed it should gap fine with your 22*  5iron and 19* hybrid.

While what you have is a common setup, 3* between my longest iron and my hybrid has always made for a very large gap distance for me

And in my experience an 18* wood and 19* hybrid will be pretty similar in total distance. Possibly very different trajectory though. Maybe a 3HL or 4wood instead of the 5W, or add a 3W?

Edited by mjo23

Tsi2 (10*) AV RAW Blue 65TX 45.5"

G425 Max (14.5*) Ventus Blue 7X 42.25"

Apex UW (21*) Ventus Blue 7X 41"

Zx7 4-AW Nippon 120X

RTX-6 56*-60* Nippon 120X

11 hours ago, Roejye said:

8o2m15.jpg.c53867173973bf9dff8a28d39f50bf01.jpg

Honestly, I recommend it so much I figured I'd make a meme, but I don't really think it would fit unless you went 12° lofted up. 

Honestly, it reads like a decent sized gap at the bottom of the bag with the large gap between wedges, but if you can cover that, then it may not be an issue. 

If I'm being totally honest, I would echo what @NJBigFish22 just said.

13 hours ago, 3puttforbogey said:

Current Bag

Driver 10.5 degree

3 hybrid 19 degree

5i 22 degree

6i 25.5 degree

7i 29 degree

8i 33 degree

48 degree

54 degree 

60 degree

putter

May I ask how far you hit the ball relative to the tees/courses you normally play?  Do you often hit less than driver?  Do you hit more than 9 "wedges" into greens over 18 holes (including the par 5's)?  or do you hit 13/14 drivers per round regardless of the tees/courses you are playing?  

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

24 minutes ago, Dan Drake said:

May I ask how far you hit the ball relative to the tees/courses you normally play?  Do you often hit less than driver?  Do you hit more than 9 "wedges" into greens over 18 holes (including the par 5's)?  or do you hit 13/14 drivers per round regardless of the tees/courses you are playing?  

If I hit my driver well, I’m coming off injury so it’s not dialed in yet I’m usually 7-9i out on par 4s and there are very few par 3s that I will play with more than a 7 iron. My go to play from 150 - 90 yards is a -% 9i into the green(may switch this to pw and my pitching wedge is effectively a 9i now with loft). Anything less is a wedge. PW only comes out for full swings 150-160  and now that I’m using the lower lofts the gap may become my 150-130 full swing club. 

in terms of tee box non driver usage I will go 5i/5w/3h into short doglegs if it can’t be cut. 

only other time I won’t hit driver is into the wind or a strong left to right wind. After seeing some feedback I’m leaning towards a low launch utility 2i.

also I traditionally play the blues/ blacks if I’m feeling good off the tee that day

21 minutes ago, 3puttforbogey said:

If I hit my driver well, I’m coming off injury so it’s not dialed in yet I’m usually 7-9i out on par 4s and there are very few par 3s that I will play with more than a 7 iron. My go to play from 150 - 90 yards is a -% 9i into the green(may switch this to pw and my pitching wedge is effectively a 9i now with loft). Anything less is a wedge. PW only comes out for full swings 150-160  and now that I’m using the lower lofts the gap may become my 150-130 full swing club. 

in terms of tee box non driver usage I will go 5i/5w/3h into short doglegs if it can’t be cut. 

only other time I won’t hit driver is into the wind or a strong left to right wind. After seeing some feedback I’m leaning towards a low launch utility 2i.

also I traditionally play the blues/ blacks if I’m feeling good off the tee that day

Thank you for that info.  How many times would you say you hit driver out of the 14 possible tee shots?  And how many times would you say you hit a PW or less into a green in regulation out of a possible 18?  

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

15 hours ago, 3puttforbogey said:

I was considering going 46 50 54 60. I Just know saying I want to Carry 5 wedges is sometimes seen as crazy.

Just made the switch to 46/50/54/58/62 recently. My bag setup this season is really odd. 

DR, 4wd, 7wd, 4H 6-PW then 5 wedges. 62 and 5 iron will probably swap depending on conditions and course. 

• Like 1

WITB - 4/2/24

Driver: TSR3 - 9* HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

4W: TSR3 16.5* - HZRDUS Black G4 6.5

7W: TSR2 21* - Ventus Blue 7X

Srixon ZX-4 4-5 $-Taper 130X - SSX1

Srixon ZX-7 6-PW $-taper 130X

Ping S159 - 50S/54H/58H - DG X100TI
TaylorMade TP Collection Juno
Testing: Odyssey AI One Rossie S

15 hours ago, 3puttforbogey said:

Interesting, have never thought of a mini-driver. Do people usually hit these off the deck? Or used similar to a 3 wood off the tee? 

A great way to use a mini driver is set it up for the opposite than your driver. So for me, my 460cc driver is set up to be fade bias and my mini driver is draw bias. The shorter shaft and added loft just makes hitting a draw much more controllable. Overall it is not that much shorter in distance than the 460cc driver but dispersion is better. If the hole calls for a fade or somewhat straight ball my 460cc comes out. If it calls for a draw, the mini comes out. 

Plus, if you are having an off day with the big dog, the mini can usually save the round for ya. 

• Like 1

Presuming you're of age, a flask of ... would work nicely.  LOL 

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

Your bag is nearly identical to mine. Bend the 54 degree to 56 and add a 52.

You know what? I'm going to do that, thanks!

Wilson Dynapwr Driver

Srixon ZX MK II 3 Hybrid

Cleveland Zipcore XL 5 Iron

Srixon ZX4 MK II Irons 6 - P

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 4 - 48, 54, 60

Cleveland HB soft 8 putter 

Srixon Z Star ball

Learn to hit the 3 wood - it's no harder than hitting the 5w.

And that way, at least a bit more often you'll be 3-putting for par, not bogey. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

On 4/25/2024 at 8:28 PM, 3puttforbogey said:

Current Bag

Driver 10.5 degree

3 hybrid 19 degree

5i 22 degree

6i 25.5 degree

7i 29 degree

8i 33 degree

48 degree

54 degree 

60 degree

putter

I think either the high lofted 3 wood (16.5....ie 4 wood) or the 5 wood turned down to 16.5-17 is ideal for most of us as far as a true fairway wood. Plus it nice for shorter and/or tighter holes. If you set your 5 wood up like that, I feel like you're pretty set with the setup you have. Leaving the 14th club as a specialty club as you mentioned. In true WRX fashion, I can only recommend getting multiple 14th clubs so you can rotate them in and out as needed. Mini Driver, driving iron and something like the Callaway Apex 17* UW would be nice. The Apex UW is an absolute 🚀 launcher off of the tee and super easy to hit off of the deck (good for those long par 5s). You may just like the Apex UW so much you will also get the 19* or 21* as they are phenomenal 5 wood and 7 wood replacements that are extremely versatile, even out of the rough. 

• Like 1

On 4/25/2024 at 7:28 PM, 3puttforbogey said:

Current Bag

Driver 10.5 degree

3 hybrid 19 degree

5i 22 degree

6i 25.5 degree

7i 29 degree

8i 33 degree

48 degree

54 degree 

60 degree

putter

I would recommend trying 2 unusual options that I usually have in my bag.

1) Mini Driver - Can be used as a backup off the tee on tighter holes or as a hotter 3 wood replacement or both depending on how you get along with it.

2) 17 Degree Apex UW - Really hot with a pretty flat low spin ball flight. 3 spins more in 3 wood territory with a little higher launch. Easy to hit chasing bullets with it but also pretty easy to add some extra height and spin and have it play like a strong hybrid. Could be a redundant club distance wise depending on how you get on with the 5 wood but it's definitely capable of being used as a driving iron alternative type club.

• Like 1

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon Q Star Tour 

3 hours ago, Thrummyfox said:

What loft is your 4h ? 

21 degree same loft as my 7 wood also.